Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LOOK I AM A TURTLE
May 22, 2003

"I'm actually a tortoise."
Grimey Drawer

NihilCredo posted:

I have used this pattern and I would just avoid repeating the base class words from the subclass name. So its full name would be FooResult.NotFound, much like an enum in fact.

I think it's nicer when the static property is the thing that gets the proper enum name and the class name has some suffix. Of course you could omit the static property on the base class and just do something like FooResult.NotFound.Instance or new FooResult.NotFound() in the place where you produce values, but I think that detracts more from the enumness of it.

Ideally both the type and the property would be called NotFound, but that isn't allowed.

Also yeah, you are of course right in saying there's no need to repeat the entity name in the subclass names when they're nested inside the base class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Blow/status/1363912045335248896

:allears:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

If they ever do release a compiler I can't wait to see it.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
the last guy we hired implemented a garbage collector and it deleted our entire codebase, we won't make that mistake again

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

Hammerite posted:

the last guy we hired implemented a garbage collector and it deleted our entire codebase, we won't make that mistake again

which mistake, implementing a garbage collector or having a codebase?

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Props to whoever in our organization purchased critical software, set it up so the entire company runs on it and any malfunction is a Very Bad Time, and then lost all the documentation while the original developer went out of business decades ago. Perfect storm to create a coding horror of my own - under normal circumstances, to automate database input, you could just... Send the data directly. That would be normal. That also wouldn't be supported here.
So I have to set up a pile of script to input hundreds to thousands of items (thankfully not in that large of batches) by emulating automatic key input for a VT100 terminal at the fastest rate the virtual machine can support while still compensating for lag between offsite servers and onsite terminals. Without ever having done programming beyond "hello world" in Lua back in the mid 00s.

Coding horrors yet to come as I unpack this nightmare.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

SkyeAuroline posted:

Props to whoever in our organization purchased critical software, set it up so the entire company runs on it and any malfunction is a Very Bad Time, and then lost all the documentation while the original developer went out of business decades ago. Perfect storm to create a coding horror of my own - under normal circumstances, to automate database input, you could just... Send the data directly. That would be normal. That also wouldn't be supported here.
So I have to set up a pile of script to input hundreds to thousands of items (thankfully not in that large of batches) by emulating automatic key input for a VT100 terminal at the fastest rate the virtual machine can support while still compensating for lag between offsite servers and onsite terminals. Without ever having done programming beyond "hello world" in Lua back in the mid 00s.

Coding horrors yet to come as I unpack this nightmare.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

after squirming with what rustaceans presume all C coders are like, this guy nails a niche and makes me more queasy than they ever could

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Genuinely, this is what I'm doing at this point. And this software does inexplicable poo poo. Thanks, "forced to use a fork of Visual Basic". I have the same code block running in four different locations, that runs in sequence.

TextRead = Session.ScreenText(x, y, 1, 30)
SlashIndex = InStr(1, TextRead, "/", 1)
ZRead = Left(TextRead, SlashIndex)
ZWrite = ZRead & DataEntered(1)

The actual variable names are tied to the software but none of them overlap. X and Y changes with starting coordinates on the terminal screen, Z changes with field name, array name changes with which array it needs to pull from, 1 is a placeholder until I get writing fixed before I set up array cycling. (I'm still not formally trained in programming. I at least have my code commented so it's legible to someone other than me.)
Exactly the same SKU should run exactly the same way every time, right? Wrong - one of the four instances fails every time for no visible reason. Because gently caress me I guess. If I run it at another, later stage it works; just breaks if I run it where I need it to work. it started breaking later too
And yes, the code could theoretically be condensed and have several of those expressions run in-line... except it throws an error and halts if I do. It stopped throwing errors if I gave them their own variables. It threw errors on examples copied directly from the language reference book's examples.
I haven't quite given up to the point of asking for help again yet. But Christ every time I fix something two more headaches open up. 80s software was a mistake.

SkyeAuroline fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Feb 22, 2021

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Wow, just think, right now I could be writing a compiler for an unsatisfiable rear end in a top hat hellboss with what I assume would be a game-programmer salary and working conditions.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
Only you can save mankind (from THE VICIOUS FEEDBACK LOOP OF BAD SOFTWARE)

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Hammerite posted:

Sounds like he did a good job though?

LOOK I AM A TURTLE
May 22, 2003

"I'm actually a tortoise."
Grimey Drawer

rjmccall posted:

Wow, just think, right now I could be writing a compiler for an unsatisfiable rear end in a top hat hellboss with what I assume would be a game-programmer salary and working conditions.

But have you considered that it will be a really simple task because so much of the stuff in other compilers is wrong or unnecessary?

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Its always a red flag to pretend "knowing more about the subject" is a bad thing. You can always find the rare archeologist that believe the world is 6000 years old and the bible is literal. If you have weird ideas, you can always find somebody with these bad ideas, no reason to look expertise outside the area where the expertise exists.

I know I know... Johnatahn Blow whole gimmick is raising red flags, but still. This one was so "in the face" that looked kind of staged, like making fun of himself.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
He sounds... unmedicated. I really hope he at least checks with a therapist or something.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
The weirdest thing about it is his "if you have worked in these areas but see that much is done wrong..." without explaining what it is that he thinks is "done wrong". Whatever it is he thinks is done wrong, he thinks it's sufficiently obvious that there's no risk of miscommunication if he fails to explain... even though what he's dismissing is the conventional thinking on the matter, or some aspect of it. If I'm someone who also has unconventional ideas about how compilers should be written or whatever, how does he know that I have the right unconventional ideas, and not the wrong ones?

What if I show up and start working for him and I implement a compiler that does everything weirdly, but not the weird way that he imagines would be good? He can hardly complain that he explained what he wanted. All he's said is that he wants someone who agrees that the conventional wisdom is bad, somehow. Not why or in what way you should think it's bad.

it's like if I advertised a job for a doctor and said, "if you see that much in medicine is done wrong then you're a good fit for the job", and got mad with the guy who applies and wants to treat cancer with vitamin supplements when clearly what I meant was that we should go all in on crystal healing.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Presumably there'd be a job interview where he checks that your crazy ideas about compilers are the same as his crazy ideas about compilers

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
Jonathan Blow is a cautionary tale about addiction to outside-the-box thinking. "Hey, everyone is doing something wrong" isn't inherently bad, the trouble is when your baseline assumption shifts to "Everyone is doing everything wrong". Especially if you've been proven correct before, or had success going against the grain, there's a death spiral there.

Even in the vague description of his language, it's contradictory and largely based on the principle of "it all makes sense when you learn it" - entirely separate from its own general philosophy of low-friction (defined so nebulously as to mean 'what makes sense to Blow himself').

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Well to be fair programmers have been doing everything wrong for like 80 years. That's like the one time when you're right about everyone being wrong.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

xtal posted:

Well to be fair programmers have been doing everything wrong for like 80 years. That's like the one time when you're right about everyone being wrong.

As a discipline, it's gone from carrying poo poo, to dragging poo poo with ropes, to dragging poo poo on sleds, and maybe even putting wheels on those sleds.

Some lunatic might come along and suggest more wheels, but Jonathan Blow likes doing the equivalent of going "those circle fucks at the academy are all brainwashed! ovals are the ideal shape!"

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.
Is there some concrete output blow presupposes he can get by ignoring common practice? Like is there one weird compiler optimization that's hard to do in standard abstractions that his is supposed to make easy?

Or is it literally just bike shedding over implementation details that don't have any bearing on the end result (other than getting things hilariously wrong because you reinvent everyone's old bugs when you resolve everyone's old problems)

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

leper khan posted:

Is there some concrete output blow presupposes he can get by ignoring common practice? Like is there one weird compiler optimization that's hard to do in standard abstractions that his is supposed to make easy?

Or is it literally just bike shedding over implementation details that don't have any bearing on the end result (other than getting things hilariously wrong because you reinvent everyone's old bugs when you resolve everyone's old problems)
its still this one, right

quote:

jai is an exciting new programming language being developed by Jonathan Blow (Wikipedia, Twitter). The stated aim of the language is to be a better language for programming games than C++, but the language really is a general alternative to C++ with the following goals:
  • high performance
  • joy of programming
  • simplicity
  • low friction
  • designed for good programmers

The primer has a lot of concerns-mixing, like you can run any function at compile-time, there's no GC so you're able to "optimize" memory.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

quote:

• designed for good programmers

Boy oh boy, is that a huge red flag to me.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
As far as I can tell JBlow's views on compiler design are basically libertarianism. He wants to "deregulate" programming to keep Big Compiler's hands out of your code and allow geniuses to operate without the unnecessary constraints that keep inferior programmers from hurting themselves.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
Just write assembly, blow.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
This reminds me, has anyone heard of Zed Shaw lately?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
he went spoiling for a fight and got wrecked by a furry, had he done anything since then?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

JawnV6 posted:

he went spoiling for a fight and got wrecked by a furry, had he done anything since then?

That's the last I read too.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

JawnV6 posted:

Had to google for this. Found the furry's article, and then some sites with "hacker" in the name full of people defending him, some complaining that the description "toxic" is a red flag that "makes me sick." Guy sounds like a winner, and I also forget sometimes how much less awful it is here than other places.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Feb 23, 2021

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

JawnV6 posted:

designed for good programmers

Welp, guess that's my cue to go

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Had to google for this. Found the furry's article, and then some sites with "hacker" in the name full of people defending him, some complaining that the description "toxic" is a red flag that "makes me sick." Guy sounds like a winner, and I also forget sometimes how much less awful it is here than other places.

I also found the blog article but also this Shaw guy has a poorly written Wikipedia page which is extremely obviously just an advert for him and his books, lol

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

pokeyman posted:

That's the last I read too.

Lol that was like 2 weeks ago, I didn't even know about that

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

xtal posted:

Lol that was like 2 weeks ago, I didn't even know about that

What is time

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Actually though I had no idea it was so recent. Combination of time losing meaning and assuming I wasn't necessarily reading a recent post.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

The saga continues.

Item numbers generated with a random number generator.
Nobody wrote in duplicate protection that doesn't require user interaction to work correctly.

You can see the problem.
It's been running this way since the 90s.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Locally unique identifier.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/jorendorff/status/1362819000850386949?s=19

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
look at this loving garbage, this is from a full rebuild after doing a "clean solution". vs how are you so bad at this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
do you have any dotfuscator/etc dependencies or libraries?