Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

The one that kills me is the Chair Pose minecart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Ciaphas posted:

wide squats are for days when i particularly hate myself. normal squats, fine, but my lower body can't do that :gonk:

(e) fan pose, too, for all that ever actually comes up. If my legs are out that wide, holding them so my feet point straight up is really painful, let alone the actual stretch :(

Lol I say the same thing about wide squats.

Standing forward fold, fan pose and seated forward press are my favorite stretching moves. I have a short routine in custom mode where I do those plus hip lifts that I like to do before starting Adventure mode.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The normal squats in the levels I can generally do a moderate number of and be fine.

It's specifically the attack asking you to hold it for like 5 seconds that really does a number on me, maybe I have bad form or something

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I am going to get that title for Mountain Climbers and forget it forever. drat thing just doesn't register correctly to be useful and hearing wet slap sounds is distracting.
Those hornbill enemies can summon rares and I got three levels from one stage because of them. Maybe kill them last so they also buff up everyone so you get more reps in.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Played for fifteen days then fell off the wagon. Looking to re-start tomorrow. 2 questions...

1) I've blocked out an hour in my schedule, but how much time should I realistically exercise for? Do I want the difficulty to be set so that I'm at a "oh god, please kill me but I'll just hurt a bit tomorrow" around 30 minutes?

2) One issue I had is that one of the Dragaux fights was so tough that I went back and grinded a small amount to get ready for the fight. But by doing so, literally EVERY single fight from that point forward was trivial, as I was now 3 - 4 levels above the recommended and couldn't find a way to even that out. Any tips for how to avoid this and/or correct it?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I hear 15 minutes is the sweet spot. Have the difficulty be the same. Push on either if you don't feel satisfied.

Don't worry about being overleveled. I am approaching 15 levels above and I am wearing my basic gear. If I want more challenge, I can refuse to block.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

This is basically my experience with ring fit so far whereas I'm Bart choosing skills like Plank, Mountain Climber and Overhead Squat while Ralph is getting Hip Shake, Standing Twist and Arm Spin.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Finally got a chance to use my weakest healing skill at World 7 and was disappointed it healed as much as what five monsters can do to a no effort block. I am at my minimum aside from using the starter skills to lower my damage further.
Does that peach drink count as a free revive after you lose all your hearts or do you have to drink it before you fail?

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Scalding Coffee posted:

Does that peach drink count as a free revive after you lose all your hearts or do you have to drink it before you fail?

The former, you drink it after you fall down.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
As a fatty fatty two by four (who, as legend tells it, cannot fit through the bathroom door) who hasn't properly exercised in too drat long, unpacking this and going through world 1 with a "doesn't exercise, moderate challenge" setting felt just right for the first day. I worked up a sweat and felt it in my legs. Hopefully I can stick with it thanks to GAME I FI CATION and undo some of the double whammy of going from an active job to a desk job at the beginning of quarantine.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Dragaux managed to take off five hearts in one hit. That would have been real bad if it wasn't a battle where he healed me. Might have been able to keep me in a heal spiral if he kept it up.
I finally got an Arm Rush and it is everything I didn't know I wanted. Only got 70 hits because I was so worn down at that point.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Drageaux can buff himself and lower your defense then hit you for half your health. He’s really the only difficult fight in the game.

The final boss level & fight take like 45-60 minutes. I was worn the gently caress out at the end of that session.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
Day two, keeping my difficulty at the same level with the questionnaire at the beginning, kicked my rear end. I was able to get through the first level of world two, but I had to call it quits after that. I might need to check in every two or three days in the beginning until I can keep my stamina up going from zero to something like this.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I've done on-again-off-again exercise more times than I can count, and day two is always the worst because your body is still recovering from day one. Even if I'm planning on eventually working out 7 days a week, I'll skip day two every time.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I have entered the NG+ "doldrums" where I have all the max skills unlocked and so for optimization I haven't changed any of those for weeks at this point lol

Can't wait for NG++ and gamified permission to change the skills up

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
yeah NG+ is kind of miserable because of that. NG++ is a lot better. I wish I could've started over from the start of NG++ instead of NG

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

When you beat NG++, it prompts you to start the whole game over? Or you did that on your own?

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I did it on my own. There's not really much to do once you beat NG++ because bosses don't respawn

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Custom mode!! I’ve been integrating custom workouts into my schedule and they are good.

Except for open-and-close leg raises, which were created by Satan to torture specifically me.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Custom mode is not gameified enough for me and my broken brain

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Decided to start over to measure my progress from last month and got twice as far and at my usual level. Everything was easier to do and the stretches didn't wear me out.
Doing the offline reps don't reward you any ingredients until you unlock them. I guess they are also unlocked according to game progress.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i started this over a week ago and i think all my previous legwork over the years has overprepared me for certain things, because i'm on difficulty level 24 and doing repeated rounds of overhead squats in a fight doesn't even really do me in all that much. they let me unlock a powerful as hell 5-target squat and didn't expect me to crush it every single time.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I upped the difficulty from 10 to 12 yesterday and the number of reps is definitely noticeable!

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Am I doing the ab guard move wrong? I cannot feel my abs being worked in any sense.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Chieves posted:

Am I doing the ab guard move wrong? I cannot feel my abs being worked in any sense.

It’s a sort of counterintuitive thing. Make sure you are engaging your abs like you are about to be punched in the stomach. The idea isn’t that you are pushing the ring into your stomach with your arms, you are pushing back against the ring with your abs. If you arms are getting tired, you’re doing it wrong. I’m not sure how best to explain it.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I am extremely bad at these yoga poses. I can kinda do Tree Pose if I can grab onto the wall every three seconds for support, but Boat Pose is totally beyond me, especially at the speed it wants.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Two things about ab guard:

1. I think there's a tip about "Reverse breathing", practicing exhaling and pushing your abs out (when the natural motion would be to suck them in), doing that on guard helps work it.
2. And yeah, when I do guard I tend to push in with both abs and arms until gold flames, then slowly relax my arms while pushing with the abs to keep the flames up

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Tree is very hard. Keep your foot against your calf instead of trying to get it higher up. Focus on a single, stationary point on the wall in front of you. Keep your standing leg and the knee loose. Movement is expected, like a tree swaying in the breeze. Allow it to happen as long as you don’t lose balance.

For boat, keep in mind that you are balancing on your sits bones while keeping your upper back and legs off the ground the whole time. Coming back from extending is very difficult. Just keep practicing.

If you need help, look up YouTube videos on the poses.

Warrior III still gets me, I hate that pose but I am doing it more because it works your core and your legs and is very good.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Chair poses are going to take forever to get the title for them. Doing so many is probably making my knees hurt so much the next morning. I should take an extended break and swap them out.
The experience tracker for the Dragaux stages are awfully inflated. World 3 is over 7000xp and I didn't get nearly so much nor take 17 minutes to do them.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

If your knees hurt after Chair you’re doing it wrong... make sure your knees aren’t going past your toes. You also aren’t trying to do a full squat where your thighs are horizontal. Definitely look up a YouTube vid to see a good example so you don’t hurt your joints!

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

It’s a sort of counterintuitive thing. Make sure you are engaging your abs like you are about to be punched in the stomach. The idea isn’t that you are pushing the ring into your stomach with your arms, you are pushing back against the ring with your abs. If you arms are getting tired, you’re doing it wrong. I’m not sure how best to explain it.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Two things about ab guard:

1. I think there's a tip about "Reverse breathing", practicing exhaling and pushing your abs out (when the natural motion would be to suck them in), doing that on guard helps work it.
2. And yeah, when I do guard I tend to push in with both abs and arms until gold flames, then slowly relax my arms while pushing with the abs to keep the flames up

Thanks, folks. Those tips made a lot more sense than what the game was telling me. Will be giving that a shot tomorrow after work. Cheers! :tipshat:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

If your knees hurt after Chair you’re doing it wrong... make sure your knees aren’t going past your toes. You also aren’t trying to do a full squat where your thighs are horizontal. Definitely look up a YouTube vid to see a good example so you don’t hurt your joints!
Must be the sensor then. It wants me to go too low to pose.

Squack McQuack
Nov 20, 2013

by Modern Video Games
The rowboat is the exercise that I just don’t get. I feel like I’m flailing around and my feet always slip out of position.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

The stated levels for World 4 are off. The stage before Dragaux is mostly right, then the alternate path put it several levels down, but the fights are with boosted enemies compared to World 3. Just a nitpick.

edit: found out

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Feb 24, 2021

whatevenis
Jan 1, 2021
Anybody else having a time with the Side Quest Gluting Gallery in World 20? The one where you have to avoid all the gold tokens on your way to 13000 points, something like that. I swear, the hitbox on those drat things is broken as hell, because I am leaning all the way to the side and I still pick them up. Any tips? It's the last side quest I need to 100% the main game...

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Yes, but my biggest issue was that I was doing the side bends wrong. I was trying to bend my torso over in a way that was hurting my back. Your arms are a big part of the stretch, when you are stretched over your torso should only bend a little but your arms should be almost parallel with the ground.

That one absolutely loving sucks though, I agree.

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

:woop: After 232 days I finally finished all three playthroughs.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I have been spending an hour with ring presses during leg days and I am feeling great. It now feels like the arms are getting as much of a workout as the legs. Mood has also been improving after a workout instead of feeling down and exhausted. Also hit the halfway point of my weight loss and overcame my plateau.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Scalding Coffee posted:

I have been spending an hour with ring presses during leg days and I am feeling great. It now feels like the arms are getting as much of a workout as the legs. Mood has also been improving after a workout instead of feeling down and exhausted. Also hit the halfway point of my weight loss and overcame my plateau.

Congrats! Could you elaborate a little on your routine?

I ask because I hate squats so much that I basically stopped playing this game and started building up my squat endurance while also picking up my adjustable dumbells on other days to do some actual upper body weight lifting.

I'm up to 700 squats in under an hour (with rests between each set of 100) but my upper body is still struggling. I'd love to incorporate some variety into this and it sounds like you found something cool I can try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I don't do anything special since it is just for arms and mechanically do them while watching a movie. I alternate a couple positions to get around any tiredness and continually work them without stopping. I picked an hour because that is my limit.

1. Standard two-hand wind blow you do to break boxes. Try it over your head.
2. Pushing down on either side of the neck.
3. Ab presses. Tighten that gut first.
4. Press the ring on either thigh.
5. One handed press with the ring against your shoulder and flexing. Be careful with this one or you can sprain it.