Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Morpheus posted:

I always love in games when the villain has a breakdown while shouting something in the vein of 'Why can't you kill him?! He's just one man!!!'

Tomb Raider 2016 is great in that regard:
"Why can't you kill her, she's just a girl!"
"That girl is kicking our rear end!"
"Oh, poo poo! She's got a grenade launcher:byodood:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

Kennel posted:

Isn't wisecracking reply pretty much the most common version? Anyway, here's maybe the lamest example (Sniper Elite 3 megaspoiler: the Hero kills the Villain!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLXDNA1zEeM&t=40s

"I'm nothing like you. I remember who I kill", says the man who has just killed hundreds of nameless grunts with a sniper rifle.
(they were nazis, so that's great, but it's still complete opposite of the truth).

Easy to remember the faces of all you’ve killed if you only shot them in the testicles.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I feel the same. It's always some dumb scenario where the bad guy is sending goons out to destroy the earth and you kill the goons so they don't destroy the earth and the villains like "see we both kill people were the same". No stupid that makes us pretty much opposites.

There's gotta be some permutation somewhere where the bad guy does like an evil, normal crime thing and the hero ends up doing things just as evil to get to them because they're motivated solely by revenge and nothing else.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Morpheus posted:

Has there ever been a 'we're the same, you and I' moment when the protagonist isn't actually wracked with angst and instead just responds with some variation of 'are you kidding me, that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard'

I can kind of think of a couple where the protagonist agrees with the antagonist. In the movie Heat, Pacino and De Niro's characters acknowledge that they're similar people, just on different sides of the law. In the Star Trek episode Balance of Terror, the Romulan commander says that he and Kirk could have been friends in another reality. Again, they're similar people just on opposing sides of a conflict. It works when you've got a storyline about characters who aren't comic book villains. It falls apart when Hannibal Lector is saying that Will Graham is just the same as him.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

christmas boots posted:

There's gotta be some permutation somewhere where the bad guy does like an evil, normal crime thing and the hero ends up doing things just as evil to get to them because they're motivated solely by revenge and nothing else.

That’s basically the Max Payne games in a nutshell. There’s a conspiracy that does some organized crime poo poo (though the organ trafficking in 3 was a bit over the top) and Max just keeps digging himself deeper and deeper trying to get revenge for it, where like two murders have escalated to hundreds of dead mobsters and entire crime syndicates wiped out.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Morpheus posted:

I always love in games when the villain has a breakdown while shouting something in the vein of 'Why can't you kill him?! He's just one man!!!'

I recall chuckling the hell out of Breen saying this in Half-Life 2. He's a fellow Black Mesa scientist, so he adds in a bit about Freeman being a lovely doctor.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Sunswipe posted:

It falls apart when Hannibal Lector is saying that Will Graham is just the same as him.
To be fair, the crux of Will Graham is that he's absolutely scared shitless of his ability to think like a serial killer.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Sunswipe posted:

I can kind of think of a couple where the protagonist agrees with the antagonist. In the movie Heat, Pacino and De Niro's characters acknowledge that they're similar people, just on different sides of the law. In the Star Trek episode Balance of Terror, the Romulan commander says that he and Kirk could have been friends in another reality. Again, they're similar people just on opposing sides of a conflict. It works when you've got a storyline about characters who aren't comic book villains. It falls apart when Hannibal Lector is saying that Will Graham is just the same as him.

I wish I had a better example than Naruto, but there's also the version where the hero realizes that they're not so different than the villain and could very well have turned out like them had just a few things gone differently in life. Somehow that's less grating than when the villain does it.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

My Lovely Horse posted:

To be fair, the crux of Will Graham is that he's absolutely scared shitless of his ability to think like a serial killer.

Yeah, possibly not the best example. It makes sense if you take it that Lector is loving with Will by poking at his deepest fear, doesn't work if Lector genuinely believes the man who has ruined his own physical and mental health to capture serial killers is the same as the man who kills and eats people who offend him.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Vic posted:

And considering how much you had to quicksave/quickload on top of the bullet time mechanic to get through the game, Max Payne from their point of view is literally dodging bullets and seems to see into the future.

Interesting side effects of mixing painkillers and alcohol (note: don't actually do this and die and get me sued)

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

christmas boots posted:

God of War 3

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Morpheus posted:

Has there ever been a 'we're the same, you and I' moment when the protagonist isn't actually wracked with angst and instead just responds with some variation of 'are you kidding me, that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard'
Quintessential:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tr8P21eZt0

Also "How the hell did you get elected" is loving gold, especially considering the year this came out.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

christmas boots posted:

I mean, the Last of Us Part 2.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Vic posted:

Quintessential:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tr8P21eZt0

Also "How the hell did you get elected" is loving gold, especially considering the year this came out.

There were a lot of people who were mad that Armstrong was a villain, because they agreed with him.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I feel the same. It's always some dumb scenario where the bad guy is sending goons out to destroy the earth and you kill the goons so they don't destroy the earth and the villains like "see we both kill people were the same". No stupid that makes us pretty much opposites.

Bonus points if after all that the hero decides that killing the villain would be a bad thing or be a step too far or he's "not worth it" or some similarly warped moral.

Don't worry, the villain will then pull a knife and then trip themselves straight off a cliff so all's good!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

christmas boots posted:

That's just Punisher

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

John Murdoch posted:

Bonus points if after all that the hero decides that killing the villain would be a bad thing or be a step too far or he's "not worth it" or some similarly warped moral.

Don't worry, the villain will then pull a knife and then trip themselves straight off a cliff so all's good!

Also something that bothers me. The protagonist will leave a trail of dead henchman behind them, but then not kill the person who is actually responsible because they are better than that. It feels like the bullshit of how "white collar" crimes are treated by the justice system.

I'm sure Lethal Weapon wasn't the first, but it's always the one I think of as the epitome of the hero deciding not to kill the bad guy (out of revenge) and then the bad guy is still killed (out of self defense).

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

moosecow333 posted:

Easy to remember the faces of all you’ve killed if you only shot them in the testicles.

Much easier than remembering the testicles of all the men you've shot in the face.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

SiKboy posted:

Much easier than remembering the testicles of all the men you've shot in the face.

Everyone has their gimmick, ok?

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Remembering all the testicles is difficult. That's why you cut them off and make them into a necklace.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Very minor thing regarding Overwatch:

There is seemingly no internal consistency on character design. I realize that off the bat....duh. It's a universe with impossible technology, AI robots, and genetically engineered animals that can talk and make their own mech suits.

But namely I'm referring to the people. Look at Mei, and compare her to Soldier 76. Her eyes are full-on anime girl. HUGE, like loving saucers. Whereas Soldier 76, Reaper, Baptiste are relatively normal looking. Still not lifelike, because it's still a videogame and they understandably want their expressions to be more visible, but the mismatch is weird.

It'd be like Anna from Frozen being alongside Hank from King of the Hill and no one would consider it odd.

My theory is that maybe cosmetic surgery in that future is so advanced, everyone can just look like an anime girl if they want.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

DrBouvenstein posted:

Very minor thing regarding Overwatch:

There is seemingly no internal consistency on character design. I realize that off the bat....duh. It's a universe with impossible technology, AI robots, and genetically engineered animals that can talk and make their own mech suits.

But namely I'm referring to the people. Look at Mei, and compare her to Soldier 76. Her eyes are full-on anime girl. HUGE, like loving saucers. Whereas Soldier 76, Reaper, Baptiste are relatively normal looking. Still not lifelike, because it's still a videogame and they understandably want their expressions to be more visible, but the mismatch is weird.

It'd be like Anna from Frozen being alongside Hank from King of the Hill and no one would consider it odd.

My theory is that maybe cosmetic surgery in that future is so advanced, everyone can just look like an anime girl if they want.

What could have been

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

DrBouvenstein posted:

I poured my heart and soul into that fanfic :arghfist:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

christmas boots posted:

What could have been

Now when you say Moleman...

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Alhazred posted:

Tomb Raider 2016 is great in that regard:
"Why can't you kill her, she's just a girl!"
"That girl is kicking our rear end!"
"Oh, poo poo! She's got a grenade launcher:byodood:"

Saint's Row. Any of them.

"Oh my God she's got a chainsaw!"

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

jjack229 posted:

Also something that bothers me. The protagonist will leave a trail of dead henchman behind them, but then not kill the person who is actually responsible because they are better than that. It feels like the bullshit of how "white collar" crimes are treated by the justice system.

I'm sure Lethal Weapon wasn't the first, but it's always the one I think of as the epitome of the hero deciding not to kill the bad guy (out of revenge) and then the bad guy is still killed (out of self defense).

Alpha Protocol had a good way of handling this, at least in my ending. My Thorton beat the poo poo out of the main bad guy until he promised to testify in court about everything he had done. Then I got an additional choice to go 'I don't believe you' and Thorton shot him in the face anyway.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The MC killing everyone on the way to the main badguy and then sparing them goes back at least to the Count of Monte Cristo

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Persona 5 Strikers. So, it's a Musou / Warriors game, but does so through smaller battles that ape the battles in P5.
Alright, worth checking out. Oh, it's surprisingly story-oriented so far, that's kind of neat for a Warriorslike.

But oh my god I wish it would stop being so incredibly annoying/obnoxious.
I'm still knee deep in tutorial, as I haven't completed the first dungeon yet, but the game constantly keeps interrupting me to explain stuff or have the characters pipe up.
I really hope it'll solve itself as I get into the second dungeon and most of the tutorial etc stuff should drop off.

Every couple of steps there's either a tutorial pointing out something incredibly obvious, or the group stopping to discuss the next step of the quest.
Do a quick battle, hop over a platform, and another interrupt, and another. If someone sees a chest? They'll pipe up. You open the chest? Someone else asks what it is.
You see an item? Someone points it out. You pick it up? Someone else oohs over it. You took a couple more steps? Quick phantom-huddle as they discuss what to do for the next 5 minutes of gameplay.

You go to the shop? The game's original character do not steal will be piping in regularly + spawning a ton of text boxes making the shop way busier than it needs to be.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feOsJwmh2m4

It's just so exhausting to engage with the game. The ui never stops wiggling around. Every chatbox wiggles, everyone just keeps on talking.
Also the primary menu in the game is really slow because there's a 1-2 second transition between every single screen because the entire thing is ridiculously overdesigned.

Was P5 like this and I just forgot, or did they decide that they just had to triple-down on all the design elements from the game and make this even more over the top?
You're allowed to have a fancy UI and not have 10 different elements swooshing and whooping and 3D characters posing over it.

The core game seems interesting, but I've yet to get to play it for more than like 2-3 minutes in a row without a tutorial or phantom-huddle or something breaking it all up.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

SubNat posted:

Was P5 like this and I just forgot, or did they decide that they just had to triple-down on all the design elements from the game and make this even more over the top?

P5 was absolutely like this, it’s why I never finished it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
P5 did have some really kinetic UI, and it's not all that different from that shop UI you posted, but... something about that shop UI makes it so much worse.

I think it's the mixture of colors. P5's menus were all fairly monochromatic; mostly it was red, black and white, with a couple shops swapping out the red with a blue or a yellow. But that shop menu in Scramble uses a really different, more colorful design, with all the straight lines of P5's UI replaced with rounded corners, and it just doesn't work. It feels like a menu from an entirely different game.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Never play dishonored two if you hate the kinetic UI, whoever designed that game was loving allergic to buttons that sit still.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

With Persona you're paying for a 50-hour JRPG and a 50-hour anime season on top of that, somebody should have told you.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I will say as someone who is all nocturnal from working nights, playing P5S in a dark room sucks because it likes its screen transitions that are just a white screen at 100 percent brightness.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The achievements in the Control DLC were both easy and awful

Especially the ones about grinding enemy types from AWE

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

good grief the combat in yakuza 0 sucks. i hope it's just an early game thing but i'm basically just button mashing and i don't feel like there's any consistent way to avoid damage in the group fights the game is constantly throwing at me. maybe they realized this because you can pause and infinite use whatever healing items you have stocked in unlimited amounts? that you can do that makes it feel like the devs were aware that this is an issue. the first boss fight especially, it felt impossible to avoid lots his attacks and i got through it by chugging all the healing items i had rather than learning his patterns or using combos.

it's a shame because i love everything else in the game.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

There's a reason they decided to just say gently caress it and make an RPG

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Ugly In The Morning posted:

P5 was absolutely like this, it’s why I never finished it.

Looking it up now and wow, that had just completely blanked from my mind.
The primary complaints I remember having about the game at the time was the pretty universal 'A lot of days get randomly lost and you're just forced to bed by Morgana, which makes planning out your schedule frustrating.'.

Cleretic posted:

It feels like a menu from an entirely different game.

Well it is a different studio, which is what makes it feel like they're just taking aspects from P5's design and exaggerating it without really understanding how the old ones worked.
Also on checking it, P5's equipment menu isn't as aggressive compared to the one in Strikers.

3 min in
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmQZg2990ck

Vs Strikers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFlZrnSpUec

I think it's the thing that tipped me over, since store menus are far rarer to use. Them being a bit busy for a while is fine when it's a couple minutes, then hours until the next time you check them out.
Meanwhile Strikers is always on and never stops being on.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I will say as someone who is all nocturnal from working nights, playing P5S in a dark room sucks because it likes its screen transitions that are just a white screen at 100 percent brightness.
Yeah, I have an ambilight tv as well, so it lights up the entire wall when doing those. Absolutely playing it in a well lit room to avoid going insane.

SubNat has a new favorite as of 01:26 on Feb 24, 2021

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Morpheus posted:

The Lonesome Road DLC for New Vegas gives you the option to no-sell the dramatic speech your arch-nemesis has spent the last few hours building up to with an "I have no idea who you are and we have literally just met." option. You can talk him down if you have the right skill checks (ditto for the main game final boss who if you are sufficiently intimidating just goes "fair enough, we'll be back so don't think we're running away from your massive robot army or anything..." and retreats).

I do wish they'd given you the opportunity to just skip the entire speech and start shooting though. I think he's tagged as essential for the few seconds you see him before he starts talking.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JvxH1WThhQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

darkwasthenight posted:

I do wish they'd given you the opportunity to just skip the entire speech and start shooting though. I think he's tagged as essential for the few seconds you see him before he starts talking.

Nah, I normally open fire with the biggest gun I've got as soon as I enter the missile silo. An M2 machinegun loaded with explosive rounds doesn't leave much room for discussion.