Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

THE MARVELOUS DOJO DOG HAS BEEN FOUND

https://twitter.com/chigusa8888/status/1364024843272740869

"Thank you to everyone who has spread the word, retweeted and commented so warmly

It's been 10 days since our dog ran away.

We have just received the news that Bibi has been rescued. Thank you to all the volunteers who helped us find Bibi, to those who came from other prefectures to search for him, and to those who spread the word!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
This is the greatest day in the history of our sport.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

im gonna need to know more about the I'M CHICKEN shirt

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Stardom just announced that the Budokan show will be available via PPV globally!

However: in reality it isn't. They are using Pia which is a Japanese ticket selling website: in order to sign up to Pia you require a Japanese phone number and unlike a lot of these things that ask for one they check it so you can't just, say, put the number of the British embassy in or whatever people do. Even ignoring that its a complicated process: it asks for your name in Katakana which is easy if you know Google Translate and what its asking for but a lot of people will just get an error and not have a fuckin clue what they are doing wrong; I've heard there are other things as well. So I guess it'd be better to say that its available internationally; for those with a Japanese phone number that can verify that they have a Japanese phone number which isn't anything like the same thing, really.

Even if it is available through some hidden extra link I can't find (certainly nothing in English; none of the translated Japanese indicates anything either) its not exactly an easy process so just being like "hey you can buy internationally!!!" is terrible because your fans that want to buy the show might waste a long time trying to buy it but failing because you have either told them they can do something they can't or you expect them to muddle through some obtuse process to buy your show. Marvelous - not a big promotion, not a promotion with a large international fanbase - have a set of graphics that they'll tweet on their English account when a show in coming up that are designed to help people through the process and that's with a site that's simpler than Pia would be even if it worked. Even if the show can be bought on Pia without that phone number its up to them to communicate how; not for people to try and figure it out by themselves. The whole thing is embarrassing for them.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

lol what the gently caress, i'm just gonna watch it through an TVIP service.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

They have good funding behind them so why can't they make this a bit more accessible for international fans?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

TV Zombie posted:

They have good funding behind them so why can't they make this a bit more accessible for international fans?
It's a very kinda Japan thing for their websites to be impossible to use or navigate. It's extra weird for Stardom because they've had English managers for a long time

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

At least DDT made theirs in simple enough Japanese that google translate could get you through it

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

TJPW rightfully overtaking Stardom as the most popular joshi promotion in the west is happening and a big part of that can be put down to Stardom repeated shooting themselves in the foot

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

I am invested in every single character TJPW puts out there. All of them. It's amazing. THEY HAVE A BEE. AND A CLOWN.

I am invested in Stardom's clown too, to be fair

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

TJPW rightfully overtaking Stardom as the most popular joshi promotion in the west is happening and a big part of that can be put down to Stardom repeated shooting themselves in the foot
Probably doesn't hurt that Haku (Runs DDT/TJPW English Update) and most of the TJPW girls are very easy to talk to on Twitter, while Sonny was throwing constant temper tantrums or raging at people on Twitter and Reddit last time I was regularly watching Stardom (This would've been pre Io signing by a couple years and I'm not even sure if Sonny still works for them)

When TJPW shirts first popped up on PWT, I asked Haku which colors were associated with which wrestler. At the time, lime green was only Pom, Haku tagged her in the tweet and Pom sent me a tweet in English thanking me for supporting her. Lots of the TJPW girls are learning English because they want to interact with the fans and they were very excited about coming back to America in 2020 for the "Coming to America" show to the point they were cutting promos in English and taking classes in their free time.

TJPW and ChocoPro are the two most accessible promotions for people outside of Japan, they both go out of their way to thank fans

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

At this point if I had to choose between the two I'd drop my NJPW world sub in favor of Wrestle Universe.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

TV Zombie posted:

because this isn't trying to be more accessible for international fans.

these pia streams have existed since last year (yokohama, sendai, osaka edion 1) for this price. it's really trying to get people who normally would be going to the shows outside of covid to still pay money the would have for tickets and watch the shows. all that sonny (he's still there but there are some others in stardom doing the tech work these days with him) did was post the pia link for this on the english account when they didn't before.

it's both literally and figuratively doing the least possible for international expansion. "hey tweet out the pia link let the people outside of japan know about this". everyone's got their own personal value judgments to make with if shows are worth it or not, but 4400 yen is the most expensive japanese ippv i've seen since the start of the ustream era for a show that will exist as a vod only until the weekend. it's really not for international fans, it's just seeing if international fans will pay the price for something that's for your native fanbase.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

I'm not going to blame Stardom wrestlers for not being like that: they've had a few cases of wrestlers being harassed pretty seriously on social media (Arisa Hoshiki was one of the big ones; Giulia got some poo poo as well and there are others) and I suspect they might have been told to be more distant for that reason. Fundamentally its not their job: its the job of the promotion that they've done a terrible job of handling that stuff recently.

Here's the thing: if you don't change their actions but simply the way that they communicate on twitter I think it improves a lot. DDT English Update is the obvious example to use: it translates a lot more stuff (mainly the backstage post-match promos; some big tweets as well) and they have a bit more character which helps: but one of the main things is when something comes up that is Japanese only they'll mention it and give a reason and that's all you need sometimes. A lot of problems can be fixed with simply better communication - although live streamed shows would also fix a lot of the same issues to be frank.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

RealFoxy posted:

Probably doesn't hurt that Haku (Runs DDT/TJPW English Update) and most of the TJPW girls are very easy to talk to on Twitter, while Sonny was throwing constant temper tantrums or raging at people on Twitter and Reddit last time I was regularly watching Stardom (This would've been pre Io signing by a couple years and I'm not even sure if Sonny still works for them)

The difference between Hakusan and Sonny is night and day, yeah, and it's baffling to me that Bushiroad haven't hired a professional social media person/translator to replace him. My favourite Sonny moment was when he managed to alienate people on Reddit so much that he had to pretend that he was a different person and that the "original" official Stardom account user had been fired.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

The difference between Hakusan and Sonny is night and day, yeah, and it's baffling to me that Bushiroad haven't hired a professional social media person/translator to replace him. My favourite Sonny moment was when he managed to alienate people on Reddit so much that he had to pretend that he was a different person and that the "original" official Stardom account user had been fired.
Yeah, I was around during that time, it was pathetic. He was also on 420Chan and got banned from there too. Same energy as Brad Sheppard or Rovert.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
I think internally Stardom has put all their effort into focusing on being the #1 Joshi promotion in the Japanese market and put the western market on the backburner which makes sense to me as we're not the ones that are gonna be attending their shows which drives most of the revenue. They could be better certainly. My dislike for TJPW aside, I think they've done a great job balancing trying to be more accessible to the western audience while still remembering that they're a japanese company based in japan. I have no idea what Emi's doing in Chocopro land though.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Gatoh Move is a boutique-rear end indie promotion, so they do some unorthodox things to get their name out there.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

On the other hand, his inability to understand Sumire Natsu's colloquial Japanese also gave us "You don't crap about me, lady" so, it;s impossible to say if hes bad or not,

Stall_19 posted:

I think internally Stardom has put all their effort into focusing on being the #1 Joshi promotion in the Japanese market and put the western market on the backburner which makes sense to me as we're not the ones that are gonna be attending their shows which drives most of the revenue.

Yeah, it's interesting, because Stardom has been pretty up front about how foreign subscriptions make up the vast majority of Stardom World users... But at the same time, that same foreign audience really overestimates how much of Stardom's bottom line they make up, compared to local fans who go to multiple shows a month and drop enough money to cover a year's subscription to Stardom World at each one.

That said, I definitely get the frustration with stuff like, "here's how you can watch the PPV (except you can't)." It reminds me of how Marvelous' English account just translates their tweets with a couple days' lag, so you occasionally get English tweets about "upcoming" shows that ended a couple hours before the tweet went up, lol.

Johnny Landmine fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Feb 23, 2021

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

The Marvelous account must prioritise translating Tomoko Watanabe tweets about her lazy husband.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Stall_19 posted:

I think internally Stardom has put all their effort into focusing on being the #1 Joshi promotion in the Japanese market and put the western market on the backburner which makes sense to me as we're not the ones that are gonna be attending their shows which drives most of the revenue. They could be better certainly. My dislike for TJPW aside, I think they've done a great job balancing trying to be more accessible to the western audience while still remembering that they're a japanese company based in japan. I have no idea what Emi's doing in Chocopro land though.
There's no argument that Stardom has been at the top of Joshi for several years but there's a lot of things that would turn most people off like

Rossi pressuring/encouraging his roster to do semi-nude photoshoots (And then proudly laying in bed with his top talent while they're nude)
Stardom's really poor treatment for a long time of foreign acts, including Kris who was doing most of the photography and then just got fired.
The horribly toxic environment that lead to the Act Yasukawa/Yoshiko match which Stardom management took NO effort into trying to stop which lead to Kyoko Kimura shoot ending the match via forfeit
Extending to putting their under 18 talent into making similar semi-nude and softcore photoshoots
An English affiliate/office worker being toxic as hell in social media
Little to marginal attempts at making the product be accessible to international fans

I'll admit to not watching Stardom regularly for a long time, I still like some Rubber Mayu, Weird Tam, and Gulia matches but Stardom in the 10's felt like it was run by a Japanese Russo/McMahon hybrid.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/senjo2006/status/1364104889043886086?s=19

Hibiki invaded a Sendai Girls show to yell her manifesto and insult people over her megaphone despite apologising for doing it at Marvelous. I'm not sure where they're going with this story but I'm enjoying it

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom

RealFoxy posted:

There's no argument that Stardom has been at the top of Joshi for several years but there's a lot of things that would turn most people off like

Rossi pressuring/encouraging his roster to do semi-nude photoshoots (And then proudly laying in bed with his top talent while they're nude)
Stardom's really poor treatment for a long time of foreign acts, including Kris who was doing most of the photography and then just got fired.
The horribly toxic environment that lead to the Act Yasukawa/Yoshiko match which Stardom management took NO effort into trying to stop which lead to Kyoko Kimura shoot ending the match via forfeit
Extending to putting their under 18 talent into making similar semi-nude and softcore photoshoots
An English affiliate/office worker being toxic as hell in social media
Little to marginal attempts at making the product be accessible to international fans

I'll admit to not watching Stardom regularly for a long time, I still like some Rubber Mayu, Weird Tam, and Gulia matches but Stardom in the 10's felt like it was run by a Japanese Russo/McMahon hybrid.

+ That weird fan event where all the talent were in their pajamas.

Hopefully some of this should be rectified under Bushiroad's management. Though I haven't heard bad experiences by foreign acts in awhile so hopefully they've gotten better at that.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

https://twitter.com/senjo2006/status/1364104889043886086?s=19

Hibiki invaded a Sendai Girls show to yell her manifesto and insult people over her megaphone despite apologising for doing it at Marvelous. I'm not sure where they're going with this story but I'm enjoying it

What is her manifesto?

This thread suggests it's people like each other too much? But also Joshi is too burdened by its past?
https://twitter.com/1222Dragonmoon/status/1350840073030254592

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I had hope for Stardom under Bushiroad and it seemed that Hana Kimura in particular was doing a good job at pushing them to deal with some of the more toxic elements (e.g. getting them to introduce a code of conduct for fans at events, reaching out to female fans more, getting them to cancel a show the roster did not want to do when covid was getting bad the first time) along with some measures Bushiroad themselves were taken to clean up the image like making that one fan wear a shirt (and deodorant lmao).

All that kinda went out the window after Hana died though. The way they treated Kyoko was lovely, but not only that you saw more weird fan service stuff slipping back in like the Giulia/Tam bikini fight.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

I had hope for Stardom under Bushiroad and it seemed that Hana Kimura in particular was doing a good job at pushing them to deal with some of the more toxic elements (e.g. getting them to introduce a code of conduct for fans at events, reaching out to female fans more, getting them to cancel a show the roster did not want to do when covid was getting bad the first time) along with some measures Bushiroad themselves were taken to clean up the image like making that one fan wear a shirt (and deodorant lmao).

All that kinda went out the window after Hana died though. The way they treated Kyoko was lovely, but not only that you saw more weird fan service stuff slipping back in like the Giulia/Tam bikini fight.
I genuinely think that Rossi and other Stardom management need the boot before Stardom becomes truly international. If Kairi escapes the WWE vortex she'd be a great figurehead for Stardom 2021, and I think Stardom fans would appreciate seeing Kris and Kagetsu again after being pushed out for the sin of liking women.

Stardom is the only major promotion that seems like they're run by Vince McMahon.

Stall_19 posted:

+ That weird fan event where all the talent were in their pajamas.

Hopefully some of this should be rectified under Bushiroad's management. Though I haven't heard bad experiences by foreign acts in awhile so hopefully they've gotten better at that.
I know which shows you're talking about but the Ameba shows with TJPW/DDT always felt like friends hanging out while the Stardom Pajama shows felt like there was someone off-screen telling them how to act :shrug:

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Feb 23, 2021

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

RealFoxy posted:

I think Stardom fans would appreciate seeing Kris and Kagetsu again after being pushed out for the sin of liking women.

Disclaimer that I promise I'm not trying to be dismissive or cape for Stardom (which I don't even follow anymore) in asking this - I ask out of genuine curiosity, because this is a fairly big accusation that I haven't heard before: Is this speculation, or is it coming from some source? Did Kris say something to this effect? Historically and culturally, I'm under the impression that it would be fairly difficult for any joshi promotion to push out all of their lesbian wrestlers.

Just wondering, because Kagetsu's retirement didn't seem particularly abrupt to me; she'd already planned to retire a few years before, but Io convinced her to stay, and she spent pretty much the entire time between then and her actual retirement wrestling with some back/neck injury or another. On the other hand, without writing fanfiction about actual people, I don't think it's much of a coincidence that she and Hazuki retired so closely to each other - whether the reason for their leaving Stardom had anything to do with their relationship or not.

Johnny Landmine fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Feb 23, 2021

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Johnny Landmine posted:

Disclaimer that I promise I'm not trying to be dismissive or cape for Stardom (which I don't even follow anymore) in asking this - I ask out of genuine curiosity, because this is a fairly big accusation that I haven't heard before: Is this speculation, or is it coming from some source? Did Kris say something to this effect? Historically and culturally, I'm under the impression that it would be fairly difficult for any joshi promotion to push out all of their lesbian wrestlers.

Just wondering, because Kagetsu's retirement didn't seem particularly abrupt to me; she'd already planned to retire a few years before, but Io convinced her to stay, and she spent pretty much the entire time between then and her actual retirement wrestling with some back/neck injury or another. On the other hand, without writing fanfiction about actual people, I don't think it's much of a coincidence that she and Hazuki retired so closely to each other - whether the reason for their leaving Stardom had anything to do with their relationship or not.
Speculation but as soon as Kris and Kagetsu left Stardom they both got married/engaged to women. I think Kagetsu got engaged to another wrestler, maybe Hazuki? They retired at the same time and some Stardom talent post pictures of them together but blur their faces out on social media.

GenghisTron
Dec 5, 2005

i dont live to live homie

https://twitter.com/tde_gif/status/1364068670415069187

wrestling rocks

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Amazing moves. Almost... aristocratic.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Lamuella posted:

Amazing moves. Almost... aristocratic.

Maybe she has some French blood in her somewhere :thunkher:

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

but now no international phone or address required apparently?

https://twitter.com/we_are_stardom/status/1364077069873803267

Takuan
May 6, 2007

RealFoxy posted:

I genuinely think that Rossi and other Stardom management need the boot before Stardom becomes truly international. If Kairi escapes the WWE vortex she'd be a great figurehead for Stardom 2021, and I think Stardom fans would appreciate seeing Kris and Kagetsu again after being pushed out for the sin of liking women.

Isn't Kris retired due to concussion issues or something?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Kris has a lot of concussions, and I also think she'd like to live in a country that recognizes her marriage

I'm happy for Kris and her 7' tall wife

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

The stuff about Kagetsu is 100% speculation and exactly how much its grounded in fact no one knows. What is known is that she was thinking about retirement years ago; Io Shirai convinced her to sign with Stardom instead and after Io left it looks like she was the number two in the promotion: head trainer, clearly heavily involved in the booking (apparently them going all-in on factions was something that she heavily pushed for and they've stuck with it since, well, it works and makes them money on merch: Bea getting that World Title run also strikes me as something she'd have heavily pushed for) and perhaps she saw the Bushiroad deal and the possible changes they wanted to implement (which may well have involved replacing her as Head Trainer, even if only on paper) as a chance to leave. Hazuki's retirement seems to have been a lot more negative (perhaps something to do with her family being involved with some not very nice stuff but again that's only speculation) and that may well have also played a role: but it doesn't seem like they forced Kagetsu out the door and they gave her a big farewell.

If Kagetsu wanted to wrestle again: I think she'd have shown up somewhere else and I don't think she'd have had that big retirement run. There are promotions that seem to be very OK with LGBTQ people (I don't think there are any openly gay Joshi wrestlers but that might be a privacy thing as much as anything else and there are some rumours about people: Marvelous had zero issue booking Asuka and Nyla Rose and Asuka works a lot of places; plus Kagetsu was a big name and absolutely would draw fans to your shows which would cause some people to overlook any reservations they may have. She wrestled for almost twelve years; had a very complete career and was hurting by the end: would not surprise me if she's feeling fine with what she did and wants to move on to something else. You can never rule out a surprise return in the future but I'm assuming that's her.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

bushiroad makes a ton of yuri media which kidani has explicitly endorsed, and the longest-tenured actor in the bushiroad voice acting agency organizes LGBT events for creatives in anime that have drawn other key people from the company. pretty sure they've also said one of their goals with the stardom purchase is to attract more female fans. it would be pretty unusual if they were less accepting of the women being gay than the company was when it was independent

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Now I miss Kris Wolf. I hope she's enjoying meat somewhere. :smith:

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Saki Akai does indeed rule. Also if you check out her social media you quickly find out what a tremendous dork she is out of character

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/zacyuki/status/1364263110148726785

Who is doing this to Kamiyu and how do I make them stop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQ_e02dH21s

Emi spends an hour talking about how great Yuka is