Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

that's what I would have thought, but seeing various harbor freight goods range from "the worst by some margin" to "outperforming several name brands" on project farm made me want to ask

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

um excuse me posted:

I'd much rather buy a brand name and buy knock off batteries than even consider HF stuff if battery price is your main concern. HF is progressively getting better but I think something like Milwaukee vs HF is no contest.

Also if you're thrifty enough you can pop open battery casings and change out the cells yourself. If I'm not mistaken a lot of them are just filled with 18650s.

this is true, but arent they usually spot welded together? that would be difficult to DIY

also, do the batteries have charge management that tracks the degredation of the cells?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Like changing the battery or replacing a screen in a cellphone, there is a tutorial for everything.

Raluek posted:

also, do the batteries have charge management that tracks the degredation of the cells?

Not that I know of? I think the smartest a tool battery gets is monitoring for overheating and cell voltage balancing.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Feb 22, 2021

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

ryanrs posted:

What Milwaukee M18 1/2" impact wrench should I buy for car stuff? Like the kind of car stuff where you definitely want an impact wrench.

I have the 2555 M12 stubby, which is good enough for lug nuts, and maybe exhaust, but not axle nuts and big suspension bolts. (I bought it for installing with unistrut while up on a ladder, and it's great for that.)

Asking because there are dozens of models. I'll probably also get a mid-size M18 battery, but don't need the charger, etc.

This one:

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Power-Tools/Fastening/Impact-Wrenches/2767-20

If it doesn't bust axle nuts and suspension poo poo, then you need a torch.
Make sure to get some appropriate sockets.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

wesleywillis posted:

This one:

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Power-Tools/Fastening/Impact-Wrenches/2767-20

This is definitely the right answer. It’s a little more expensive but if you’re going to spend a couple hundred dollars on an impact wrench why not spend a little more and be sure you got one that will take everything off?

I have tekton impact sockets that seem fine and then the Astro nano sockets that are a delight.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

OMGVBFLOL posted:

that's what I would have thought, but seeing various harbor freight goods range from "the worst by some margin" to "outperforming several name brands" on project farm made me want to ask

The batteries are cheap, but they're also the lowest capacity batteries on the market. I don't think I've seen any of their tools come with more than a single-parallel 1.5-2.0 Ah battery roughly equivalent to other brands compact packs. I've noticed a difference between compact and larger packs on my higher draw Milwaukee tools.

Also, HF has at least four different "brands" with 18-20V packs. Are any of these compatible with each other or do they really have this much diversity for no good reason?

If you only want one or two tools HF lithium tools might be okay. If you want to be able to use the same battery in an impact gun, a reciprocating saw, and a string trimmer, you should go for one of the larger brands where you can trust them not to randomly make tools incompatible with batteries.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

That's the rub with the HF stuff. Notwithstanding the opinion of how well they could/can perform, just the fact they have different lines and who knows how long they will stick with them before coming out with another incompatible line.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

wesleywillis posted:

This one:

Thank you!

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

ryanrs posted:

What Milwaukee M18 1/2" impact wrench should I buy for car stuff? Like the kind of car stuff where you definitely want an impact wrench.

wesleywillis posted:

This one:

This is what I carry off-road, both for personal use and while running chase at races.

I used to carry a 2763-20, which had less but enough power, until I broke it. If you could find a refurb of that, that'd do, too.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

ryanrs posted:

Thank you!

No problem. We tfr goons gotta stick together :v:. If you don't have them already, get some bigger batteries. My experience is that the 2ah batteries are good for running drills and the 1/4" hex drive impacts and such like that, but anything that has to put out high speed or some serious force like this impact, will kill a small battery in no time flat. Even freshly charged. Thats just my experience.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

I only have the HO/HD 12 which is probably way too big for an impact. I'll have a HO XC 8 at work I can try out for weight and balance.

What battery do you recommend?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I believe the standard recommendation is that you'll get full power from any 5ah or above battery. The one exception to this seems to be the 4.0XC, which is an older design but works fine.

edit: Yep. You need a 2P battery to get full power, 5ah and above are always 2P.

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Feb 22, 2021

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

ryanrs posted:

I only have the HO/HD 12 which is probably way too big for an impact. I'll have a HO XC 8 at work I can try out for weight and balance.

What battery do you recommend?

:drat: you've got the giant 12ah battery? That'd be fine.
Just maybe huge and heavy, but you'd probably be able to take the whole van apart and put it back together in one charge.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Yeah, some of my trips require a chainsaw.

Well, maybe not "require", but I'll never go back to a bow saw.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The XC 8.0 with the larger cells in a 2P configuration really is a nice sweet spot of a battery pack. I can't tell the difference in performance between it and my older 9.0 3P pack, but the 8.0 was a lot cheaper. The 12 seems like it'd be heavier than I want in all but the highest-draw tools. I don't mind having to swap between my 8.0 and 9.0 once while leafblowing my yard, and that only happens if I've got a lot of poo poo to deal with that isn't moving easily.

I wonder if those "high demand" CP packs might be a good pairing with the impact, too - my 1P compact batteries are way-old 1.5 or 2.0 packs, so that could be as much of an issue as the fact that they're only 1P.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

IOwnCalculus posted:

The batteries are cheap, but they're also the lowest capacity batteries on the market. I don't think I've seen any of their tools come with more than a single-parallel 1.5-2.0 Ah battery roughly equivalent to other brands compact packs. I've noticed a difference between compact and larger packs on my higher draw Milwaukee tools.

I remember seeing a video where they put a HF battery on a load and it had less than half its rated capacity. As far as battery size I found the Milwaukee heatgun needs at least the 9.0 to not completely suck if its remotely cold outside, everything else I've used has worked fine on the 5 A/hr batteries but I haven't tried the chainsaw with it.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

wesleywillis posted:

This one:

Gonna go against the grain here and recommend the mid-torque version of this. It's lighter, smaller, easier to manouver in tight spaces, and yet 600ft-lbs, which has managed everything I've thrown at it (I'm in the salt belt, and axle nuts / suspension stuff hasn't been an issue).

If you've already got an m12 stubby it might make more sense to grab the giant one, but the big one is gigantic and heavy.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

It’s definitely not light, but “gigantic and heavy” is a stretch.

If I only bought one of my Milwaukee tools ever, it would be that impact gun. 600lb-ft is great but 1400 is life changing.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
If you’re swinging it around all day at work, that big-rear end impact is definitely going to wear on you. I’ll be picking up a mid-torque to round out my set. I have a 3/8 compact, m12 stubby and M18 monster impact.

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

I started with the Mid Torque and impact driver, and expanded into M12 for the Stubby, ratchet, and cheap screwdriver later. If I attempt a job (probably crank bolt or axles) that the Mid tq can't handle, I'll buy the bigger one for that job.

I also want one of the hydraulic impact drivers, but don't really need it.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I have the mid torque and definitely like how it's pretty light and compact. And it's cracked some axle nuts off, eventually. I want the big one too though.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.
I've had like 3 instances this week where I wish I had a power ratchet. I think I'm just going to pull the trigger on the makita - you fuckers are really making me want to spend some bucks.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Electric ratchets are life changing. I have 1/4 and 3/8 longneck ones for most things, and a right angle screw gun for light fasteners. I basically never touch a regular ratchet if I can avoid it.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Which ratcheting wrench brand is good? I want ones that look like a normal combo wrench (one end open, shallow angle on the box end), with a direction switch (not flip the wrench over).

I bought a set but just realized the ratchet is 6 sided, not 12. This is stupid because it's that much harder to get them on the bolt and the mechanism can't take huge torque anyway.

Years ago I had a set I liked by Crescent (I think), but I dunno if they're still good. Some of their stuff is pretty variable.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

ryanrs posted:

Which ratcheting wrench brand is good? I want ones that look like a normal combo wrench (one end open, shallow angle on the box end), with a direction switch (not flip the wrench over).

I bought a set but just realized the ratchet is 6 sided, not 12. This is stupid because it's that much harder to get them on the bolt and the mechanism can't take huge torque anyway.

Years ago I had a set I liked by Crescent (I think), but I dunno if they're still good. Some of their stuff is pretty variable.

I've got some Gearwrench ones that are fine. I don't have many others to compare them to but if you want ones with levers to change direction the keyword is Reversible it seems.
https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=reversible+ratcheting+wrench

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
I have a set of the reversible gearwrench ones, and they're great. I use them all the time. I also used to have one snap-on 14mm reversible, and it was good too, but I'm not sure it's better enough to justify its price premium for a home-gamer.

I'd just keep an eye out for sales on the gearwrench, if I were you.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
I picked up a set of gearwrench with the flexible ratcheting head years ago and I'm glad I got the flex end instead of the reversible just for the tight spots, they have been working great for years.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I have Snap-On, Gearwrench, Wera, and Craftsman.

Wera are the nicest, Gearwrench are the best cost:value (and still very nice). Snap-On is nicer than Gearwrench but I wouldn't pay the premium.

Craftsman (at least the ones I got) are traaaash. Like they're substantially bigger than any of the others, so they never fit anywhere.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
My milwaukee m18 mid impact was not able to break loose the driveshaft yoke bolts on my rear end. The high torque barely made a sound and they were out.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Krakkles posted:

I have Snap-On, Gearwrench, Wera, and Craftsman.

Wera are the nicest, Gearwrench are the best cost:value (and still very nice). Snap-On is nicer than Gearwrench but I wouldn't pay the premium.

Craftsman (at least the ones I got) are traaaash. Like they're substantially bigger than any of the others, so they never fit anywhere.

Those Wera ones are my special occasion wrenches lol. I only have four of them, and I often forget about them. The nut holding feature though is fantastic when you need it.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

StormDrain posted:

Those Wera ones are my special occasion wrenches lol. I only have four of them, and I often forget about them. The nut holding feature though is fantastic when you need it.
I only have two so far, but in well-chosen sizes, so I'm always excited when I find a 10/13mm fitting that I can't / am not going to use power tools on.

I'll definitely buy more at some point, but they're just so. drat. expensive.

Anyone got recommendations on comfortable eye protection (general purpose, grinding, that kind of stuff)? I've got some old 3M glasses/goggles that never really felt right, I've got the wrap-around things from HF, don't like anything I've found. Potential problem: I have a large head. Like the HF ones don't even vaguely fit right. Something comfortable, on the larger side, and effective protection would be awesome. Cost isn't no object, but I'd spend money to protect my eyes and also value comfort.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Yes, but mine are prescription so may not apply to you.

https://rx-safety.com/

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Safety glasses are such a big thing, it's like talking about oil.

Personally, I am very rough on my glasses so I just get the cheapest brand name ones (3M, Honeywell, etc) and replace them as needed. Since I sell them I can get whatever I want as factory samples, but I still stick with cheap.

Antifog is a huge thing now too since COVID so be sure yours are.

If you like a wrap around style and want a specific bang/buck recommendations, take a look at the Honeywell/Uvex Genesis series. I find them comfortable and good quality while not being stupid expensive. I personally use the S3200x quite often.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

That makes sense. I know somebody who swears by Fram filters, which are otherwise pretty widely derided, but he's also the single person who knows the most about cars in general that I know.

Checking out the HW/Uvex Genesis, thank you. And Uthor! No prescriptions required yet, but appreciate it anyway.

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Feb 24, 2021

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I like the 3m ones that have a gasket around the edge — helps keep stuff out without being quite as annoying to wear as full on goggles. These ones: https://www.zoro.com/3m-safety-glas...BYaAtl_EALw_wcB

I'm a big head haver and they fit well enough.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I really wish safety glasses above like $15 came with a darn case.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

powderific posted:

I like the 3m ones that have a gasket around the edge — helps keep stuff out without being quite as annoying to wear as full on goggles. These ones: https://www.zoro.com/3m-safety-glas...BYaAtl_EALw_wcB

I'm a big head haver and they fit well enough.
I wear those too and they are comfy but they fog up like a mofo when the antifog goes away.

Luckily I scratch the gently caress out of them before that happens lol

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Perhaps a face shield would work in conjunction with some cheap safety glasses.
Lately, I've been using an auto dark welding mask turned to the "grind" setting.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
I got old gas in my eye once working under a car, that was unpleasant enough where I bought a set of goggles just for working under cars. Helps with fluids and rust flakes and such that can flow/blow around the edge of safety glasses when you're in odd positions.

https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DPG82-11-DPG82-11CTR-Concealer-Anti-Fog/dp/B01A12J3GI/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

boxen posted:

I got old gas in my eye once working under a car, that was unpleasant enough where I bought a set of goggles just for working under cars. Helps with fluids and rust flakes and such that can flow/blow around the edge of safety glasses when you're in odd positions.

https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DPG82-11-DPG82-11CTR-Concealer-Anti-Fog/dp/B01A12J3GI/

I'm still learning not to lean forward and blow away sawdust in my new found woodworking habit.