Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Scoss posted:

This Lantern event is just absolutely not good, right? Other than like, the introduction to Xiao, I have been button mashing through all of these completely hollow busywork quests and I kind of hate it. I really wanted to pick up Ningguang so I worked through doing all the lantern chores but it seriously started to feel like the quests were designed principally to waste 5-10 minutes of time rather than having anything remotely resembling an interesting story or setpiece or anything.

The Tower Defense game is alright but I kind of get turned off by TD games when they start forcing me to defend multiple separate lanes or actually pay attention to the types of enemies that spawn. I just want to build a deathblob maze and see waves of enemies explode.

I don't think the lantern quests are particularly badly written, but there are like 3 times more of them than they needed and they definitely start to feel like a chore. Which is bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Scoss posted:

The Tower Defense game is alright but I kind of get turned off by TD games when they start forcing me to defend multiple separate lanes or actually pay attention to the types of enemies that spawn. I just want to build a deathblob maze and see waves of enemies explode.
I also miss the fact that mazing has gone out of fashion for TD games. But for this game, it did make sense to utilize the elemental reaction system, and you could largely AFK outside the zero leaks award on the longer/higher level maps.

And you could kinda maze with geo MC, but it was really effort intensive.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Scoss posted:

This Lantern event is just absolutely not good, right? Other than like, the introduction to Xiao, I have been button mashing through all of these completely hollow busywork quests and I kind of hate it. I really wanted to pick up Ningguang so I worked through doing all the lantern chores but it seriously started to feel like the quests were designed principally to waste 5-10 minutes of time rather than having anything remotely resembling an interesting story or setpiece or anything.

if you're doing it all in one go, or even just at a more condensed pace than when they were only doling out 2-3 quests a day then it probably feels much worse. there's also going to be the hit and miss ratio of whether you care much about any of the involved NPCs since there is some progress on established characters and storylines like Yanxiao and Jiangxue, Guhua Clan, Qingzhou the poet etc. it's definitely an event mostly made of busywork, but rationing it and having had it done for a handful of days now has tempered the negative aspects for me.

definitely giving them plenty of notes on the survey though

dogsicle fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Feb 24, 2021

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Scoss posted:

Eh, I thought they were cute! I would have liked it if they'd had a bit more interesting gameplay (like if we'd revisited the gliding one a couple times), but I'd still give it a solid 7/10.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Well, I've got Xiao built and I'm thinking of pairing him with Jean because Anemo particle generation and healing. Who else works well with him? I take it I want some sort of passive element applier for him to swirl off of?

I don't have Jean so I can't comment on whether or not Jean's anemo battery is enough to fuel your Xiao with whatever ER he has. If it is, then you don't need Sucrose and your options open up. What Xiao very much needs is either Zhong Li plus healer (optimal) or double healer. I've been using Sucrose/Diona/Bennet for this, though on floor 11 I'm going to try subbing Barbara in for Diona due to her shield not holding up against non-cryo.

Swirls barely do any damage but having a Fischl or Xiangling turret on the field at least does damage. I'd run Xiao/Fischl/Zhong Li/Jean if I could but I'm missing half that team. :/

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I got Homa at soft pity, thank Christ. It's so good on Geodaddy

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Soothing Vapors posted:

I got Homa at soft pity, thank Christ. It's so good on Geodaddy

For the love of god this isn’t helping!

I just got this to 90 too

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
Weapon banner gave me an off-pity five-star bow and the only four-star character I was missing, Bennett :toot:

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

MarcusSA posted:

For the love of god this isn’t helping!

I just got this to 90 too

the difference between Homa and PJWS on anyone but the character Homa is specifically designed for is probably relatively minimal honestly, Mihoyo is pretty good at weapon balance

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Also PJWS looks way cooler, which is the most important thing

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

assuming you're using PJWS because Zhongli is out attacking and getting that 7 stack buff, you shouldn't see a huge difference in damage vs Homa

if it's just a stat stick then the gap is definitely wider but weapon banners being weapon banners, you should be super careful about rolling

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
Man wish I had gotten Zhong when his banner was up. Darn RNG.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Man wish I had gotten Zhong when his banner was up. Darn RNG.

I busted my pity on a very unfortunate Childe pull 10 rolls into pity and lost my Zhong. Very sad. Childe still riding the pine while I pine over Zhongli.

I’ve learned my lesson and despite wanting to throw twenty or thirty rolls at another Ning constellation I’m not going to risk it.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Scoss posted:

I think most of the quests had one extra step too many and they were waaaay to many of them. The tower defense I actually enjoyed more than I thought I would at first.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
There is one sort of quirk with Hu Tao's stats from the current datamined stuff that's important to consider when gearing her. At max level, she has 106 base attack. This is incredibly incredibly low, even Barbara has more base attack than her (159).

With weapon attack factored in, that's somewhere between 560 - 750 attack depending on the 4 or 5* weapon used (or even as low as 507 if you have had no luck with polearm gacha and are planning to use the White Tassel). This means that flat atk substats while still worse than atk% aren't that much worse because of her low base attack. This also means that HP% is very good on her because of the gigantic conversion she gets with her elemental skill.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

Hyper Inferno posted:

There is one sort of quirk with Hu Tao's stats from the current datamined stuff that's important to consider when gearing her. At max level, she has 106 base attack. This is incredibly incredibly low, even Barbara has more base attack than her (159).

With weapon attack factored in, that's somewhere between 560 - 750 attack depending on the 4 or 5* weapon used (or even as low as 507 if you have had no luck with polearm gacha and are planning to use the White Tassel). This means that flat atk substats while still worse than atk% aren't that much worse because of her low base attack. This also means that HP% is very good on her because of the gigantic conversion she gets with her elemental skill.

what role is she looking to serve? Carry? Some kind of Sub DPS or Support?

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Sexual Aluminum posted:

what role is she looking to serve? Carry? Some kind of Sub DPS or Support?

Carry, basically she burns her hp then leaves a nasty dot on the enemy as you swap her out

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

At least from what I saw her kit looked like timed carry similar to Tartaglia. Like you would spend a certain amount of time on the field during a burst window and swap back to wait out the cooldown on her burst. It incentivized switching out to provide a flat crit bonus to the rest of your party.

She has a low base attack because of her hp sacrifice gimmick, she gets between 6%-7% of her max HP turned into attack with her elemental skill and it caps out at 400% of her base attack. Her attack modifiers aren't particularly amazing from what I saw but combined with the attack boost she should output good damage. She's basically a different flavor of Diluc in that you do mostly pyro damage.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Despite Hu Tao's base attack being low, her elemental skill jacks up her actual attack stat to super high levels. This means you want to swap her in, use her skill, then swap her out when she's done. She even has an ascension talent that gives the rest of your party 12% crit when her skill expires.

At level 80/80 with a rank 8 skill, that's 5.66% of her HP that'll get converted into ATK. With 13721 base HP, that's 777 extra attack. The math works out such that pumping her HP up for her skill conversion is worth it over her raw attack stat.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I know it's not that impressive, but managing to full clear abyss is something I'm proud of.

gently caress those Geovishaps.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

This stupid lantern web event is confusing and worrying me. Am I going to get hosed over if all 5 aren't lit? I've been chosing a different answer each time, but I'm getting nothing but repeats of the same "type". Have released 7 so far. The event verbiage seems to indicate all 5 types must be lit to share the big prize. How does this stupid thing actually work?

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
I didn't even realize you could change what you "write" on the lantern, and I just lit up my 5th one. I'm pretty sure it's completely random.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i got all 5 lit yesterday, didn't bother changing what was written on the lantern

based on the wording i assume you need all 5 types lit up but there definitely has to be a failsafe like with the Flush of Fortune event we had in-game.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
It's random. Managed to get mine today. I hope they actually just evenly divide the main prize between the people who've done it. Would be nice if it was one prize per region, but I feel We're gonna be splitting it with millions on people.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Clarste posted:

The very idea of pulling on a weapon banner is weird to me because the only thing you could possibly get from it is power, and not a cool new character or a cool new ability for a character that would change how you play them. I mean, I guess they could have interesting passive effects maybe, but basically I have had roughly 0 desire to ever pull on a weapon banner.

That said, the fact that other people do roll on it is sort of interesting because it reveals extremely different priorities, and it's also interesting the way Mihoyo apparently accounts for these different priorities in their monetization system.

do you have any c6 characters yet? the weapon banner is a lot more appealing if one third of the characters on the event is a useless dupe.

there are also several weapons designed aesthetically and/or mechanically for certain characters.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

sushibandit posted:

This stupid lantern web event is confusing and worrying me. Am I going to get hosed over if all 5 aren't lit? I've been chosing a different answer each time, but I'm getting nothing but repeats of the same "type". Have released 7 so far. The event verbiage seems to indicate all 5 types must be lit to share the big prize. How does this stupid thing actually work?

thanks for reminding me lol I totally forgot about this poo poo.

I really hope mihoyo gets their game up for 1.4 but all indicators point to now. That's ok, I'll keep logging in anyways.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
We're getting 100 primos at most, lol

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I looked at some gameplay numbers for earlier this year and it was something like 39 million players. If 10% get 5 lanterns and it's split evenly that's around 250primos.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

padijun posted:

do you have any c6 characters yet? the weapon banner is a lot more appealing if one third of the characters on the event is a useless dupe.

there are also several weapons designed aesthetically and/or mechanically for certain characters.

Yeah pretty much this. I’ve got quite a few C6 dudes and I’m not pulling if they are on a character banner.

It ain’t worth it.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

padijun posted:

From a F2P perspective, you would save your primogems until there was a 5* character that you really liked and/or are very strong or very versatile. The weapons mostly serve to move the power level of your characters up or move them into a different niche, and the pity does not guarantee weapons you want. Of course, this may change if they slow down the character creation, change how the weapon banner pity works, and a given F2P player hoards enough primogems.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

what's a good farming spot for valberries? I need a ton

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

what's a good farming spot for valberries? I need a ton

These are the 5 easy spots I’ve got marked on my map for them.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
They're only in Stormbearer Mountains, scattered around so best to use a map if you need to farm a bunch. You can also buy 5 every couple of days from Cloris.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

cool thanks

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I made the mistake of trying to fight a couple of those Geo monsters who roll/spin around without Zhongli. I don't understand how anyone plays without Zhongli (or how I played before getting him) - everything kills your characters so fast. Like I cast Bennet's burst and immediately after one of the things rolled into him before I could switch and killed him.

The new boss would also be a pain without him. He lets you face-tank that one combo where he slashes twice and then slams the ground (or something like that), when I'm pretty sure you'd otherwise need to quickly move out of range.

Healers don't seem nearly as useful, because you die so fast that it's hard to get their heal off (this is the main downside to Bennet's heal - you have to stand around in it with the character who needs healing, and strong enemies can easily kill you faster than it heals you; at least Jean's heal instantly fills up your health without needing to switch to other characters). Zhongli's shield lets you do DPS in situations where you'd otherwise need to dodge.

edit: Unrelated, but I *finally* got another prototype yesterday (a claymore one).

Ruby Prism posted:

Honestly, I'd keep both unrefined. We're bound to get another bow hero that makes good use of it! (Amber already does, but... well, she's Amber.)

This is only useful if you were to use both bow uses in the same party, though (which it's hard to imagine doing, since Amos seems specifically geared towards someone who stays on the field a lot); otherwise you could just swap the weapon before two characters.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Feb 24, 2021

Zebia
Oct 10, 2012

How's my volume?

gandlethorpe posted:

I wish you could trade billets. I just got my 4th claymore drop

Also wishing trading was possible. I've only ever gotten one spear drop from bosses.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

This is only useful if you were to use both bow uses in the same party, though (which it's hard to imagine doing, since Amos seems specifically geared towards someone who stays on the field a lot); otherwise you could just swap the weapon before two characters.

it would mostly matter for Venti. since he builds as a DPS, a big stat stick like Amos is good on him while most other supports prefer Stringless/an ER% weapon. so people who run Venti in teams with an Amos holder or run Venti and their Amos holder in Abyss would still benefit from separates.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Stringless and Amos are pretty much the same for high level venti when taking into account reactions I think. I think high refine stringless might even be stronger

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Hell yeah, Guyun dropped an atk Petra hourglass, I used my Stand By Me option to take Ningguang to C5 and just got her again to cap her at C6 after buying the battle pass for a Solar Pearl. Which I immediately took to lvl 80. :hellyeah:

Was the cheap battle pass always 10$? I could've swore it was 15 this whole time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

RareAcumen posted:

Hell yeah, Guyun dropped an atk Petra hourglass, I used my Stand By Me option to take Ningguang to C5 and just got her again to cap her at C6 after buying the battle pass for a Solar Pearl. Which I immediately took to lvl 80. :hellyeah:

Was the cheap battle pass always 10$? I could've swore it was 15 this whole time.

It's always been $10