Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barf Wight
Sep 4, 2011
OK, you can stop yelling :hf:
I've been futzing around with this little guy a few hours on sunday and today. Not done yet, but really happy with how the skin and armor has turned out. At least the blue bits. This is my 8th model since coming back to the hobby and boy am I glad there was no tiny human face or helmet involved here.

I mostly based the scheme on the suggested GW scheme but switched the colors around. Didn't want to try that much yellow, if I'm honest. Had plenty of that with a Jackal Alphus I painted over the weekend.

I don't think I have it in me quite yet to paint neatly, so this ork (part of a set of four) has been really fun to paint. No tiny components and several big surfaces to try stuff on like the chest and belly plate where I tried glazing some directional highlights, and the shoulder and elbow where I tried some simple freehand.

Looking forward to painting the other 3. Will probably try a different scheme for each so if you have any suggestions feel free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Barf Wight posted:

I've been futzing around with this little guy a few hours on sunday and today. Not done yet, but really happy with how the skin and armor has turned out. At least the blue bits. This is my 8th model since coming back to the hobby and boy am I glad there was no tiny human face or helmet involved here.

I mostly based the scheme on the suggested GW scheme but switched the colors around. Didn't want to try that much yellow, if I'm honest. Had plenty of that with a Jackal Alphus I painted over the weekend.

I don't think I have it in me quite yet to paint neatly, so this ork (part of a set of four) has been really fun to paint. No tiny components and several big surfaces to try stuff on like the chest and belly plate where I tried glazing some directional highlights, and the shoulder and elbow where I tried some simple freehand.

Looking forward to painting the other 3. Will probably try a different scheme for each so if you have any suggestions feel free.

Looks good! I did my Ironskull's Boyz with grimy dark armor. It's pretty fun going all out on dirtying them up.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

I've been hankering to do some converting, so the new codex had ma make up some new characters for my Death Guard
Lord of Virulence with a helper

Tallyman. I tried sculpting a tentacle tight arm holding a book for him to be writing in, but it was horribad so I replaced it with a spare possessed arm and stuck scrolls on him instead.

Biologus. I'm pleased with how he turned out, but hand making all those grenades for his racks was a pain in the rear end.

I made up some assault boys too, since a squad of them looks pretty fun now.

The flail marine was originally just for killteam, but he's got a full squad now.
And that squad needs a ride.

I was playing some Dragon Rampant before everything closed down, it's a game that really needs some shooting in your army so I painted up some old arrer boyz

The leftmost in each image was painted years ago for Frostgrave, so I was trying to roughly match the newer ones to them.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

need some color advice.

Son talked med into getting back into 40k, so I have a Marine scheme going:

I'm Stuck on a color for Sargeant helmets though (I want to do the Ultramarine style contrast helmets)

My gut says a subdued yellow, but Ice Blue would be a nice inclusion of a cool color to contrast all the warm I have going on?

Open to any ideas if you have them.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I'm looking for an airbrush for just zenithal / directional priming, for a small indoor space. Is there something in particular I should look for with that use case?

e: compressor, brush, the whole deal

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Feb 22, 2021

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Anyone have a solid layering tutorial/follow along video they like? I wanna practice more layering since I've been stuck painting space marines for the longest time and need some guidance.

working mom
Jul 8, 2015
Just finished these 5 dudes the other day, still to finish basing but happy so far

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Spent a some time getting a better miniature photography setup.

Now I feel like I need to get better at painting to justify the higher quality of the pictures. :unsmith:

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Well is it

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

If I wanted to do some airbrush zenithal pre-shading with say a dark brown and a light brown, I should still prime the model first right? I was thinking of just priming in grey, then doing the pre-shading with regular colors, since I don't have tinted primers.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yes still prime the model.

I just use Vallejo Grey (maybe Stylenrez, I forget) and then a white ink for my zenithal needs.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Of course, you can save yourself some time by priming it dark brown and saving a step.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
But then you need to buy brown primer, which saves a step at the cost of a money

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Wanted to paint something that isn't Space Marines for a bit, and decided to take a second crack at this Dark Souls model. I originally painted it with contrast but the primer skunked on me. After a day in some simple green and a scrubbing with an old toothbrush, I was able to finish this up in about an hour and a half.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Well I tried out my idea for not-bone skeletons. It looks too dark for usual play distance and I can't unsee Mardi Gras with it, so I don't think I'll move forward with this for the other 9. Glad I tried it though. I need to learn how to use more neutral colors while thinking up schemes.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Well I tried out my idea for not-bone skeletons. It looks too dark for usual play distance and I can't unsee Mardi Gras with it, so I don't think I'll move forward with this for the other 9. Glad I tried it though. I need to learn how to use more neutral colors while thinking up schemes.

I think this guy looks awesome!!

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I finished my first set of Necrons! This is the first time I've really ventured out of painting Gloomhaven minis about a year or so ago. I'm pretty happy with how they came out, overall. Besides some paint mistakes, I think I overdid with some of the drybrushing after the base coats. The panels are supposed to have a more bronze/copper look to them, but because of the drybrushing I think it looks more muted than it should. Also tried out some OSL with the green energy things in the guns. Eh, its not bad but I think there's a lot of room to improve there too. But like I said, I do like them and I look forward to painting more.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Verisimilidude posted:

I think this guy looks awesome!!

Hey, thanks! That means a bunch coming from he of the perfect desert primaris.

Heroic, this still look pretty cool. Suitably ancient and worn for an ancient robit. How did you make the base? I tried for a desert sort of thing myself and the model train ballast stuff I used turned out to be a bit too big. As for the osl, I think all it needs to really pop is for the sources to be brighter. Maybe the little orbies in the barrels could have another dab of green a shade or too lighter to emphasize that they're bright enough to cast light?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Verisimilidude posted:

Wanted to paint something that isn't Space Marines for a bit, and decided to take a second crack at this Dark Souls model. I originally painted it with contrast but the primer skunked on me. After a day in some simple green and a scrubbing with an old toothbrush, I was able to finish this up in about an hour and a half.

This guy looks really nice, particularly the bronze bits.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Why are raphael 8404s so hard to find

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

purple bone is a nice look I don't think Ive seen before. good frickin job dude

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
i am reliably informed that children love the meat tank

(conversions are fine, right?)

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is there an opinion between the Iwata Power Jet Pro and Iwata Power Jet Lite compressors? The Lite doesn't have a tank, but apparently that's not an issue for it?

The smaller sizes are attractive to me.

e: or are both of these dumb and a Badger or something is the better pick

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Hey, thanks! That means a bunch coming from he of the perfect desert primaris.

Heroic, this still look pretty cool. Suitably ancient and worn for an ancient robit. How did you make the base? I tried for a desert sort of thing myself and the model train ballast stuff I used turned out to be a bit too big. As for the osl, I think all it needs to really pop is for the sources to be brighter. Maybe the little orbies in the barrels could have another dab of green a shade or too lighter to emphasize that they're bright enough to cast light?

Thanks! For the bases, I used this Citadel technical paint Agrellan Earth. As for the OSL, I think you're right. The orbs didn't come out as bright as I intended, I'll need to work on that next time.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space

Jonny Nox posted:

need some color advice.

Open to any ideas if you have them.

Gut reaction says blue.

Verisimilidude posted:

Anyone have a solid layering tutorial/follow along video they like? I wanna practice more layering since I've been stuck painting space marines for the longest time and need some guidance.

Check out Darren Latham’s Lord of Blight masterclass on YouTube. You could easily skip half the steps he does and still have great results. Covers skin, cloth, metals, wood. You could easily swap out colors to fit your own needs.

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

i am reliably informed that children love the meat tank
(conversions are fine, right?)

Yes! This is great!

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Well I tried out my idea for not-bone skeletons.

I like this

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I finished my first set of Necrons!

These are cool looking!

Phi230 posted:

I’ve had better luck with Rosemary brushes than Raphaels if you want a nice brush but can’t get one of those. The one Raph I had didn’t last very long. It seems there is a range of quality across most brush manufacturers so getting a brush is a little bit of a gamble.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
So here's the dilemma. Here's the rest of the unit. If I can get the purple skelly scheme to show up well enough at table eye level, then the fungal frond growths will be very hard to pop. I feel like I'm just confusing the eye like that.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Phi230 posted:

https://www.jacksonsart.com/search/?q=Raphael+8404

That's where I got mine recently. Granted, the ferrule was slightly bent, but a representative from Jackson's got a hold of me and we're currently working out a situation for that. But it looks like they're in stock there.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

...fungal frond growths...

I’m here for this.
Any thoughts on growth color?
Color wheel suggest a teal/turquoise. That could be cool with some texture...spots, stippling or something

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Phi230 posted:

I'm so lucky in that my local art supply store has a good selection in a nice old-timey cabinet. Great brushes

Finished some saurus warriors over the weekend, just a quick Contrast job

Then decided to kick a few projects down the track a bit for my Fists

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Tried painting green yesterday using AP colors and their greens are really atrocious. I'm not sure if they just weren't shaken enough, but their coverage over white was really bad. Specifically I was using Angels Green and some other greens. I had to mix in some Black Templar to increase the coverage as a basecoat, but the pigmentation seems really low.

I also picked up a Gnarls Green from P3 and it seems ok. Better than AP but not quite what I was hoping for.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Verisimilidude posted:

I also picked up a Gnarls Green from P3 and it seems ok. Better than AP but not quite what I was hoping for.

P3's greens are really good in my experience.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I started painting 5 years ago with Citadel brushes, then moved on to Winsor and Newton series 7's for like 2 years, and for the last 2 years I've used Raphaels. I love the raphael brushes.

Though I am tempted, once I get better as a painter, to get those fancy Artis Opus brushes. Anyone have experience with those?

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I finished my first set of Necrons! This is the first time I've really ventured out of painting Gloomhaven minis about a year or so ago. I'm pretty happy with how they came out, overall. Besides some paint mistakes, I think I overdid with some of the drybrushing after the base coats. The panels are supposed to have a more bronze/copper look to them, but because of the drybrushing I think it looks more muted than it should. Also tried out some OSL with the green energy things in the guns. Eh, its not bad but I think there's a lot of room to improve there too. But like I said, I do like them and I look forward to painting more.

I really like these. Very minimalist but effective scheme.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Been working on my Necrons but I'm not really happy with the scheme. I want to do something different with them but I'm not sure what to do. Thinking of giving them black bodies with metal joints and heads.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Verisimilidude posted:

Been working on my Necrons but I'm not really happy with the scheme. I want to do something different with them but I'm not sure what to do. Thinking of giving them black bodies with metal joints and heads.

I think they're cool as hell and I love the play of brown, white and blue.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Verisimilidude posted:

I like the necron scheme! If I was going to change anything, my gut reaction is that the basing doesnt work with it. For me the very bright green and the very deep green pull a lot of the focus in the picture down from the mini to the base. Maybe try a more muted basing scheme? Desert sand, or urban rubble, or even just black texture with a grey drybrush, something like that maybe? Keep the stones and skulls for variety.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Has anyone used Micron pens for lettering on things like scroll work on Bolt Rifles or banners? If so, how well did it work?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

AndyElusive posted:

Has anyone used Micron pens for lettering on things like scroll work on Bolt Rifles or banners? If so, how well did it work?

Super well. The pigma and molotov pens with 0.2mm tips are great for this stuff. Just need a light touch as if you press too hard you'll scratch off your base coat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

AndyElusive posted:

It works great but I've found you need to really wait for your paint to fully cure (not just dry to the touch after a few minutes) otherwise you can clog the pen tip and it's really hard to un-gently caress it.