Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

indigi posted:

what are the two Michaels. sounds silly

https://globalnews.ca/news/7510158/kovrig-spavor-china-health-ambassador/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NocoinerStomper58
Feb 24, 2021

by Pragmatica

indigi posted:

nice edit
thx friend

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

The world took a collective stand against its piracy, but Britain still won the Napoleonic wars.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The US is a nation of literal pirates.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

indigi posted:

what are the two Michaels. sounds silly

bolton and moore

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

the main thing you need to know about the two michaels is that it was retaliation for a chinese executive whos being held in canada for extradition and whose very existence is completely ignored anytime this comes up because it calls attention to how hypocritical this entire situation is

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/CTVNews/status/1364363556108533768?s=20

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Some Guy TT posted:

the main thing you need to know about the two michaels is that it was retaliation for a chinese executive whos being held in canada for extradition and whose very existence is completely ignored anytime this comes up because it calls attention to how hypocritical this entire situation is

Look Canada has an extradition treaty with USA, and our government decided not to tell USA to gently caress off. So everyoneg gets to sit under arrest. Although at least the executive gets to sit in her own million dollar home.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Some Guy TT posted:

There's also very little doubt that they are actual spies.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Lostconfused posted:

Look Canada has an extradition treaty with USA, and our government decided not to tell USA to gently caress off. So everyoneg gets to sit under arrest. Although at least the executive gets to sit in her own million dollar home.

Why always bring up the million-dollar home? The reason US wanted to grab her is because she is direct kin of the company founder, who runs a 100 billion business. Should she buy a 2-bedroom apartment near the airport?

Also, on the subject of the Michaels, one of them belong to the "International Crisis Group", I always assumed it was some kind of bullshit NGO that use the NGO cover to collect intelligence. But after checking out their youtube channel, I conclude that they do some work in Africa and selected third world countries.

This is a pretty decent think tank talk on Myanmar, the guy pretty much explained why the Myanmar election system is flawed and ignore the election right of most of the ethnic minority groups. And interestingly, it's ICG's only video on Myanmar. The world really don't care about Myanmar that much.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 04:48 on Feb 24, 2021

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

lmao he's never even heard of these dudes

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
wasnt the official reason for her arrest that huawei was evading iran sanctions? gently caress the sanctions and gently caress canada for being bitchmade enough to do america's dirty work

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Fleetwood posted:

lmao he's never even heard of these dudes

Biden cares deeply about the detained Chinese Michael Koving

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth
china's totally gonna release the canadians to the government that just accused them of genocide. lol

animist
Aug 28, 2018

stephenthinkpad posted:

I am not saying bitcoin will replace the dollar, I am saying if the US don't actively outlaw cryto business and also keep printing unlimited amount of USD to get stay out of more financial crisis, some international capital will get together and push a viable global trading e-currency. Right now the best candidate is e-rmb but China is not ready to trade huge volume of rmb outside of china, because they want to have more control of the rmb, and the US will actively sabotage every e-rmb application in world trade.

But if bitcoin is legal and it open the door of legal crypto payment in a lot of payment platforms, then its going to be very easy to start a new e-currency back by some major international capitals. It could be back by Saudi Arabia-UAE-paypal-VISA-Softbank-Elon Musk and it can be based on some tangible things such as energy. Make 1 energy bux represent 1kw or 1k BTU energy or something. It can be adopted very fast. You guys make it sound like using dual currency is very cumbersome in daily life. No actually a lot of lovely countries with high inflation already deal with dual currency in their everyday life, it's not big deal. You just switch from paper money to bio protected wallet on your phone.

indigi posted:

oh sorry I’m only talking about Bitcoin and it’s particular limitations. e-rmb or some other sanely-constructed e currency is totally viable to compete with or displace USD on a medium to long term timeline

this scenario seems extremely plausible to me and also funny as gently caress

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

stephenthinkpad posted:

Why always bring up the million-dollar home? The reason US wanted to grab her is because she is direct kin of the company founder, who runs a 100 billion business. Should she buy a 2-bedroom apartment near the airport?
Because posters in this thread think it's cool to put rich people under house arrest.

mila kunis posted:

wasnt the official reason for her arrest that huawei was evading iran sanctions? gently caress the sanctions and gently caress canada for being bitchmade enough to do america's dirty work
Yes.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

stephenthinkpad posted:

Also, on the subject of the Michaels, one of them belong to the "International Crisis Group", I always assumed it was some kind of bullshit NGO that use the NGO cover to collect intelligence. But after checking out their youtube channel, I conclude that they do some work in Africa and selected third world countries.

This is a pretty decent think tank talk on Myanmar, the guy pretty much explained why the Myanmar election system is flawed and ignore the election right of most of the ethnic minority groups. And interestingly, it's ICG's only video on Myanmar. The world really don't care about Myanmar that much.

lol a million dollar home in Vancouver BC might very well be a 2br right next to an airport

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

hm, doesnt seem like the concession china is hoping for

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/rapplerdotcom/status/1364480429705814020

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
I would never want the US State Department to praise me.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Note the dangers of discussing failcoin in the China thread, we attracted a Seraph84 alt

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Chomskyan posted:

Note the dangers of discussing failcoin in the China thread, we attracted a Seraph84 alt

lol

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth
seraph84 is a tulpa that manifests whenever multiple goons start thinking there might ever be a practical application of bitcoin in the same thread

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

any goon could become a seraph84 alt like mr will smith from the matrix

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/india-china-complete-troop-pullout-from-disputed-border/ar-BB1dTvwJ

India and China have completed their mutual withdrawal of forces from the Pangong Lake area

https://m.timesofindia.com/business/india-business/how-china-regained-its-place-as-indias-top-trading-partner/articleshow/81185792.cms

China has reclaimed it's prior spot as India's top trade partner.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/Andrew__Roth/status/1364574445902434307

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/MarkGaleotti/status/1364164995173539840

quote:

Aware of his charisma and his considerable skills as a communicator, the Kremlin wants to muzzle him, silence him, disappear him until, it hopes, he is forgotten, a figure of past controversy rather than future relevance.

But while Navalny is essentially under control while in “Kremlin Central,” what happens when he is out in a regular colony, where the guards are not necessarily quite so disciplined, where illegal cellphones are a commodity, and where he will be interacting with regular prisoners?

im beginning to suspect that both navalny as well as his supporters actually sincerely believe that hes rick sanchez except without the magic science powers

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

stephenthinkpad posted:

Why always bring up the million-dollar home?

if I had to guess, I’d say because it’s a lot less onerous to be under house arrest in a nice place that you live in than it is to be in jail in a foreign country that your government is constantly provoking

Chomskyan posted:

Jesus Christ, that guy is still around?

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

indigi posted:

Jesus Christ, that guy is still around?

just checked the leper's colony, dude's bought 24 new accounts since january 1 :psyduck:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Comrade Koba posted:

just checked the leper's colony, dude's bought 24 new accounts since january 1 :psyduck:

and lowtax had people convinced this site is unprofitable lmao

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Comrade Koba posted:

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I filtered the leper's colony to permas and used the highlight all feature to count the number of permas Seraph has eaten. Counting two that had question marks and the original, the total is 118. That's enough money to buy two Xbox Series X and still have enough left over for the award-winning Zaratan dildo--brought to you by Bad Dragon--in medium size and firmness, including shipping. It's enough to buy 182 Ka-Bar tactical sporks.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

I guess at this point I'm mostly curious about how he formed this weird fixation, I kind of assumed he was someone with several years of post history who didn't want to let go, but it turns out he ate his first ban two days after registering and his perma a couple of weeks later.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
burning worthless 'US dollars' on forums accounts means nothing to a bitcoin wizard

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

mila kunis posted:

burning worthless 'US dollars' on forums accounts means nothing to a bitcoin wizard

yeah but....why

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

a lot of cute realpolitik from the western press in this article

https://www.politico.com/newsletters/global-translations/2021/02/24/china-winning-vaccine-diplomacy-battle-but-will-lose-the-war-491881

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

well there goes any legitimacy this dude ever had i guess

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Agrajag posted:

well there goes any legitimacy this dude ever had i guess

The US doesn't need a Filipino Juan Guaido just yet because Duterte still plays ball, but this guy is definitely in their back pocket

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

gradenko_2000 posted:

The US doesn't need a Filipino Juan Guaido just yet because Duterte still plays ball, but this guy is definitely in their back pocket

So Philippines's presidential election is 1 term only like S Korea right? Does the politic swing back and fore like S Korea too? I heard Duterte wants to pass the torch to his daughter? What's the odd of Philippine swing back to pro-US again next year?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

stephenthinkpad posted:

So Philippines's presidential election is 1 term only like S Korea right? Does the politic swing back and fore like S Korea too? I heard Duterte wants to pass the torch to his daughter? What's the odd of Philippine swing back to pro-US again next year?

One term of six years. 2016 was the last one, so 2022 is next. Official campaign season starts Q1 next year, polls in May, new President takes office June 30.

Yes, Sara Duterte, the daughter, is almost certainly running.

Aquino, before Duterte, was a liberal. Arroyo, before Aquino, was a conservative (think Bush or Thatcher)

I'd say we have one chance in three of getting a liberal president (Leni Robredo) again after next year's elections. There is a back-and-forth nature to politics, but the liberal party is especially weak - think Biden if Trump didn't gently caress up COVID.

Other potential presidential winners besides Duterte the Younger and Robredo include Ferdinand Marcos Junior, and Manny Pacquiao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReapWhatYouSow
Feb 24, 2021

by Athanatos

indigi posted:

yeah but....why
Because it's funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pRfNMAgxYs