Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Ammat The Ankh posted:

https://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN/status/1364288711429677060

Giants sign Scott Kazmir, who last pitched in the Obama Administration.

Wow, that's crazy. Did he retire and then decide to give it another go or was he injured during that time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Popete posted:

Wow, that's crazy. Did he retire and then decide to give it another go or was he injured during that time?

He never officially retired, but in 2017 he struggled with arm pain and stopped playing. In 2019, Kendall Graveman invited him to play catch and he was surprised that he could throw without pain, so he decided to make a comeback. Last year he pitched 15 innings with a 4.20 ERA in the AAA-level Constellation Energy League.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yeah he abruptly left the Braves ST camp at the end of 2017 at the end of Spring Training after almost making the team but I guess he was hurt

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I refuse to believe Kazmir is somehow only 37

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

He’s somehow old enough I can’t believe he’s still playing, but young enough he didn’t have a Showdown card.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Kazmir made me wonder about the longest gap between MLB appearances.

For WWII roster reasons - here's the record holder:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/schrepa01.shtml

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
BOOOOOOOOOO

https://twitter.com/SFGiants/status/1364340256523227138

though scott kazmir and his 5.12 ERA in 13 appearances will look nice in the Orange and Black

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Spoeank posted:

BOOOOOOOOOO

https://twitter.com/SFGiants/status/1364340256523227138

though scott kazmir and his 5.12 ERA in 13 appearances will look nice in the Orange and Black

Why does the spacing and angling on the letters look so hosed up? Like "SOLANO" specifically looks really bad.

also I will just assume that "WEBB" in that video is Brandon Webb and the Giants are exclusively bringing back guys who retired early

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

That jersey says Pooey and I refuse to hear otherwise or click the play button.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Spoeank posted:

BOOOOOOOOOO
BOOOOOO Giants indeed :hmmyes:

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Lol

https://twitter.com/gomsaddie/status/1364310008926642179?s=19

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

They have to give players names on the back of heir jerseys for home games now because Zaidi and his roster churn means no one knows who anyone else is.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Ammat The Ankh posted:

They have to give players names on the back of heir jerseys for home games now because Zaidi and his roster churn means no one knows who anyone else is.

I legitimately gave up on watching Giants baseball last year because (1) covid and (2) I never knew who the hell anyone was. So this might actually help.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Lol nice

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Tony Phillips posted:

This guy took 22 loving years off, then came back and dropped his FIP by two runs

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Spoeank posted:

I legitimately gave up on watching Giants baseball last year because (1) covid and (2) I never knew who the hell anyone was. So this might actually help.

you should buy a Program.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

R.D. Mangles posted:

you should buy a Program.

Yeah, you'll never know who's who without a program!

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Tony Phillips posted:

I'm confident in saying this is the most untouchable record in MLB history.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Kirios posted:

I'd still err on the side of most of Cy Young's records

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Kirios posted:

I wonder what the story was there. Tried to break in as a kid, couldn't make the team, quit and got a job and a life? And then one day was like "We're in a war and they let anyone play now....imma give it one more go"

Edit: here's his wikipedia page. Apparently he was a coach for the Yanks who had to pitch while most of the staff was away in the war.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Schreiber

BigBallChunkyTime fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Feb 24, 2021

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

I'd still err on the side of most of Cy Young's records

Back to back no hitters and two salamis in the same inning are my choices.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Kirios posted:

Has to be Tatis 2 grand slams in an inning.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

DurosKlav posted:

Has to be Tatis 2 grand slams in an inning.

somebody just did this the other day in college

his was wilder cause they were both off the same pitcher

also there are hundreds of mlb records that will never be broken enjoy listing them yall

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

uggy posted:

also there are hundreds of mlb records that will never be broken enjoy listing them yall
57 game hit streak is the one among these that I feel like I might actually live to see broken

No good reason, just seems doable

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Some day someone else in MLB will hit two grand slams in an inning, but no pitcher will ever again be allowed to give up two grand slams in an inning

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

bawfuls posted:

Some day someone else in MLB will hit two grand slams in an inning, but no pitcher will ever again be allowed to give up two grand slams in an inning

Maybe Bauer will so we can all laugh at his stupid face.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

MrMojok posted:

This guy took 22 loving years off, then came back and dropped his FIP by two runs

tbf he as a WW2 fill-in pitching to other WW2 fill-ins

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

57 game hit streak is the one among these that I feel like I might actually live to see broken

No good reason, just seems doable

It's 56, and no, you won't! Neither will anyone else.

It's not enough to be a great hitter who gets hot and stays hot for two months, it also takes some luck. There were at least two points where DiMaggio's streak should have been broken, if not for bad bounces. Not to mention at least one scorer's decision that went in his favor. It won't be broken.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Intruder posted:

tbf he as a WW2 fill-in pitching to other WW2 fill-ins

Yes but this was the season he had to face hitters such as Johnny Dickshot, who slashed 302/366/407

Not to mention Stuffy Stirnweiss, whos slashed 309/385/476*

*before dropping 58 points in AVG when everyone came home the next season

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Feb 24, 2021

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

MrMojok posted:

It's 56, and no, you won't! Neither will anyone else.

It's not enough to be a great hitter who gets hot and stays hot for two months, it also takes some luck. There were at least two points where DiMaggio's streak should have been broken, if not for bad bounces. Not to mention at least one scorer's decision that went in his favor. It won't be broken.

I don't think it will be broken either, but it seems like the one that could most theoretically be broken, since all of the other ones generally require big changes to how players are managed to be rolled back decades. Hitters still gotta hit.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Pete Rose had a 44 game streak, and Rollins had 38 relatively recently.

Someone smart should figure out the actual probability of a 57 game streak ever happening in today's environment, I bet you could get pretty close.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

56-game hitting streak is one of those records that is very very unlikely but certainly possible.

Someone Ichiro-like could come in, go on a tear, and get lucky.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Someone will get to the mid-40s and have the bad luck to face the Yankees who will intentionally walk him every PA.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Poque posted:

Someone will get to the mid-40s and have the bad luck to face the Yankees who will intentionally walk him every PA.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Mustached Demon posted:

Maybe Bauer will so we can all laugh at his stupid face.
He’d get pulled from the game (and rage throw the ball over the fence) before that, as any pitcher would now.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

https://twitter.com/jmjones/status/1364605336699744256?s=21

Lars Nootbaar

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

bawfuls posted:

Some day someone else in MLB will hit two grand slams in an inning,

But that would only tie the record, not break it. Hence, it is unbreakable. There’s much better odds of someone getting a 57 game hit streak than there are of someone hitting 3 grand slams in an inning. Or pitching back-to-back-to-back no hitters.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I’m saying no one will ever again hit two grand slams off the same pitcher in an inning.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

But they’d have to hit 3 off them to break the record!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
In a world where somebody is allowed to stay in long enough to give up 3 grannies in an inning, we have somehow returned to the days where guys would pitch 500+ innings and start 60+ games, therefore all pitching records would also be at risk.

Lower the mound