Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Freud destroyed hundreds of eels (at least 129) looking for their dicks and when he couldn't find their eel dicks (because he was looking at glass eels, which don't have dicks yet) he turned to psychoanalysis instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Guavanaut posted:

Freud destroyed hundreds of eels (at least 129) looking for their dicks and when he couldn't find their eel dicks (because he was looking at glass eels, which don't have dicks yet) he turned to psychoanalysis instead.

So that's where the concept of a freudian slip comes from?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

which don't have dicks yet

Do you work at eelectronic arts and have insider info on the upcoming eel releases?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

These days he'd be making accounts on queer dating apps and shouting about pronouns all the time

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Dabir posted:

These days, if you say you're full English, you'll be arrested and thrown in a frying pan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lm5jG13VlY

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Josef bugman posted:

Such a thing is impossible. We can't prove that we exist, nevermind that other people do.

As regards DnD talk I once made the profoundly stupid decision to try and run a DnD game for 9+ people who were learning the system over facebook chat. It was an absolute pissing disaster.

Can you prove thinking is occurring?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Do you work at eelectronic arts and have insider info on the upcoming eel releases?
I have seen the future and there are eel dicks.

Failed Imagineer posted:

These days he'd be making accounts on queer dating apps and shouting about pronouns all the time
If you say you're cisgender these days you get canceled and thrown on glindr.

endlessmonotony posted:

No, to the contrary.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

endlessmonotony posted:

I can't even prove that I'm thinking!

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Miftan posted:

To be fair, sometimes it's the rogue.
I find it tends to be the bard because of the way they build around charisma, so every single interaction suddenly becomes a speech challenge.

A properly played bard is a fantastic asset to the party, it's just that nobody ever plays them properly / keeps trying to seduce the dragon.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I unironically think kiers anti black racism is the most electable thing about him but I'm not sure it will penetrate to the gammons who all think he's a nonce hiding luvvie

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I find it tends to be the bard because of the way they build around charisma, so every single interaction suddenly becomes a speech challenge.

A properly played bard is a fantastic asset to the party, it's just that nobody ever plays them properly / keeps trying to seduce the dragon.

My wife tends to play bards, and while I highly doubt she plays them ‘properly’ they’re always a laugh.

First one was a goblin who focussed on being as annoying as possible (took bagpipes, kazoo and penny whistle as favoured instruments). Then more recently a magpie person (aarakocra or something) who was a local hero and obsessed with nothing more than collecting shiny objects.

Both of varying use (though it’s hard to be completely useless in 5e) but a lot of fun to play with.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Since we're doing D&D chat, just a reminder that 5E was designed by a rape apologist who hired a nazi and a rapist as consultants. When people who had been harassed by the rapist raised concerns, he doxxed them to said rapist. He faced no consequences other than having to shut up on twitter.

Don't pay money for D&D, play better RPGs by independent designers who deserve your money.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Agreed, never stop trying to seduce the dragon.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Tarnop posted:

Since we're doing D&D chat, just a reminder that 5E was designed by a rape apologist who hired a nazi and a rapist as consultants. When people who had been harassed by the rapist raised concerns, he doxxed them to said rapist. He faced no consequences other than having to shut up on twitter.

Don't pay money for D&D, play better RPGs by independent designers who deserve your money.

If you think this is bad wait until you hear about the movie industry!

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Tarnop posted:

LOL @ the idea of paying for any DnD stuff

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't watch movies so I am allowed to say it is bad.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
I tried thinking once. It was awful

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Communist Thoughts posted:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I think it's just exhausting being scolded for enjoying a product assocated with an abuser/bad person in a world where literally every industry under the sun promotes and protects abusers. Just let people enjoy their fuckin hobby in peace without dragging it into the constant all-encompassing outrage at the state of the world

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Unsurprisingly, the rapist the nazi and their friend designed a bad game that's still bad even if it's free

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Camrath posted:

First one was a goblin who focussed on being as annoying as possible (took bagpipes, kazoo and penny whistle as favoured instruments). Then more recently a magpie person (aarakocra or something) who was a local hero and obsessed with nothing more than collecting shiny objects.

That sounds like a Warcraft themed game, in which case the magpie people are the Arakkoa.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Given that damned near everything in D&D can be half-dragon, I feel like seducing one should not be a particularly challenging skill check.

There are half-dragon gelatinous cubes, for Christ's sake.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

multijoe posted:

I think it's just exhausting being scolded for enjoying a product assocated with an abuser/bad person in a world where literally every industry under the sun promotes and protects abusers. Just let people enjoy their fuckin hobby in peace without dragging it into the constant all-encompassing outrage at the state of the world

I mean, the contention was literally that there are better people and better games you could buy instead?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

I unironically think kiers anti black racism is the most electable thing about him but I'm not sure it will penetrate to the gammons who all think he's a nonce hiding luvvie

why would it penetrate you'd only notice if you follow labour a lot and they certainly don't bother. instead it'll depress the vote from BAME people

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

OwlFancier posted:

I mean, the contention was literally that there are better people and better games you could buy instead?

Even if Brexit means Brexit, you should still refrain from buying people.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Tarnop posted:

Unsurprisingly, the rapist the nazi and their friend designed a bad game that's still bad even if it's free

DnD is pretty bad but all the systems I've played have big flaws and at least half of nerd properties are made by some combo of rapist, nazi or pedo

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

multijoe posted:

This post is protection and promotion of abusers

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

multijoe posted:

Some people might not know, and might decide to play something different once they do know. If I actually do scold someone for playing D&D as opposed to simply giving them a reason why they might want to play something else instead, feel free to go off.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Get some CoC in your life imo

E: man I hope nobody digs up anything on Lovecraft

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Can someone repost the trans people navigating the NHS RPG please

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/laurieoconnel/lichcraft-an-rpg-about-trans-necromancers

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

*me thinking you're talking about Corrosion of Conformity*

:hmmyes:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's nice to see the argument for diverse content creators made from first principles.

Like there's a bunch of CoC universe properties made by BAME creators that, while they are probably not themselves angelic paragons devoid of sin, at least have good and interesting ways of deconstructing Lovecraft's racism and even playing with ideas like "racism is an invisible force that slowly drains your sanity".

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Gort posted:

This post is protection and promotion of abusers

The point is everything contains abusers. You may as well barge into any Ubisoft thread in Games or practically any Hollywood film thread in CineD and run off the same spiele, there's just no escaping that at some point most people are going to part with money that is going towards someone who did something horrific. So maybe at some point you don't need to hear the word 'D&D' and immediately inform everyone in the vicinity that it was made by BAD PEOPLE and strongly imply they are also bad people if they engage with it.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Failed Imagineer posted:

*me thinking you're talking about Corrosion of Conformity*

:hmmyes:

Came to post more or less exactly that. :hmmyes:

As someone who doesn't have an RPG group, I do think people who are deep in the hobby kind of fail to understand quite how hard it can be to get people to play an TTRPG, & D&D is at least something they might have heard of. Which does make a difference.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Except this isn't the tabletop/pen and paper RPG thread, this is the UK th... oh... oh no :ohdear:

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

DnD is pretty bad but all the systems I've played have big flaws and at least half of nerd properties are made by some combo of rapist, nazi or pedo

You're right, no game is perfect but there are better ones made by people who, at the very least, are not confirmed abusers.

There are some pretty good games based on Lovecraft's work and in my experience the better ones will include useful guidance for GMs so they don't accidentally recreate his less blatant racism when writing their own adventures.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

Except this isn't the tabletop/pen and paper RPG thread, this is the UK th... oh... oh no :ohdear:

Let's be unequivocal here: this is a Warhammer thread.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

peanut- posted:

Let's be unequivocal here: this is a Warhammer thread.

In the 21st century there is only misery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

DnD 5e>>>>>Magna Carta