Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I do wish we could play with world gen settings a little more. Two big continents with a smattering of small islands would be cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Boats are safest when you leave them a bit out to sea where the mobs will have a hard time swimming out to attack them. As long as no one is standing/sitting in the boat it won't drift off. It seems to keep completely still other than rising/falling with the wave action.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Killed the mountain boss which was an anticlimactic fight since the dragon doesn't do anything 50% of the time when it's stuck in some rocks like an idiot. Funny though. At this point the game really started to feel to me like an early access game.

Not really enjoying the plains, everything hits like a truck and takes forever to kill. If I aggro more than a couple of Fulings I'm essentially forced to run away until they deaggro, which makes doing anything here tedious as hell. I might be done until the next update, tbh.

Still really enjoyed the 60+ hours I sunk into this game in a week, looking forward to the game being fleshed out further.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!
Anyone ran into an issue when digging a moat of a section that won't go as low as the rest? There's a chunk behind my house that just won't go low enough to let water in. Really annoying :( I hit it with a pick and nothing happens. Looks the same as every other part.

I love it overall anyways. Took loving forever though, holy poo poo

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Inzombiac posted:

edit was that the motherfucking GRIM REAPER???????

Odin :black101:

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Jinnigan posted:

just to be clear all that danheim/wardruna neofolk stuff is like 90% modern sensibilities and a modern mythologization of what "viking" music would sound like

proper era-appropriate "viking" music sounds like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAO7_GryWTM
jaunty, corny pentatonic sea-shanty sounds, much like most traditional folk music.

that "viking" neofolk do be slappin tho
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1q2qYPVNU2Q

Eldamar is the best atmospheric non-acoustic Valheim stuff I've found so far.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8oFR2qtJe4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyfOpWFrfCA

Also

Azhais posted:

Toss the whole Amon Amarth discography in there too

Especially any of their songs about sailing (which may or may not be about dying in a storm :black101: )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woiPB5tjvZU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5l36biSLcuY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGWPMKURLjM

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Oh are we doing Viking music?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aONcdN0Weiw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fu2bgwcv43o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gH0y3_-jX3o

if you want something energetic for running around mountains or something

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

zeldadude posted:

Anyone ran into an issue when digging a moat of a section that won't go as low as the rest? There's a chunk behind my house that just won't go low enough to let water in. Really annoying :( I hit it with a pick and nothing happens. Looks the same as every other part.

I love it overall anyways. Took loving forever though, holy poo poo

As far as I can tell there's basically a "bedrock" heightmap that I believe is the same as the starting dirt heightmap, just subtracting several meters, so probably the original ground level in that spot was just a little bit too high to be able to get it to water depth.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
The original heightmap that the world is generated with can only be raised or lowered by ~4 "units" (a wall piece height).

When digging down your effective floor is often when you hit the water table, but if you're starting from a high enough elevation, you'll hit that limit first.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I spent a big long time the other day getting one line of wall down. I figure the walled in area is the richer area of town.

The only interesting part is the guard house atm.

Here's my pig farm, with a little spot for them to sleep, I'm actually gonna have to move this later, but I like their little house :3:

I made a whole rear end lighthouse. to get a huge fire in there I had to raise the land the whole way up and then trim the edges, you can't just plop it on stone like the others. It also just... goes out every 30 seconds...

My market area. This is pretty fun so far. I gotta see what I can and can't place on the stalls.

And finally for the moment, those vikings sure did like to poo poo in weird positions

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I built a little entrance for our village but I can't figure out why some of the beams get damaged constantly, while others don't. At first I thought it was the water, but other beams are in the water and don't get damaged. I raised the ground, and they still get damaged?

In the picture below the red arrows point to the beams that get damaged, the blue to beams that don't. I stayed around, and they don't get damaged by enemies!

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Azhais posted:

Toss the whole Amon Amarth discography in there too

I mean they even had an Amon Amarth song in one of the trailers, so hell yeah.

Also, Turisas. They have this cheesy "vikings on Broadway" sound, but the game is a whole lot of fantasy nonsense as well so it's a great fit.

Starting with this track just as you set sail in the longship is just epic as poo poo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RNeJhJfCkk

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Hell yea some of the Turisas songs were legit epic sounding. The crescendo of Land of Hope and Glory owned as well. Also Cursed Be Iron when you're doing some mining.

Griz
May 21, 2001

Furism posted:

In the picture below the red arrows point to the beams that get damaged, the blue to beams that don't. I stayed around, and they don't get damaged by enemies!

is there something going on with the roof that makes the bottom of the stairs count as not-sheltered?

I logged in to do some fishing at my mini coastal fort that ended up being a short run to a mountain biome that actually has stuff besides wolves

then a raid spawned

I killed 49 of them before the rest ran off, could have got way more if I had stamina potions on me

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Griz posted:

is there something going on with the roof that makes the bottom of the stairs count as not-sheltered?

I thought so, so I added the extra roofing that we can see on the screen, and that still didn't fix it :(

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Ok so here's a big exploit for server admins. Don't look at this if you don't want to be tempted to do some cheaty fuckery as a server admin.

So you can't use the player cheats to move around on your server, even if you have admin access. What you can do is this:

1) Download your server world through FTP
2) log on to that map in single player.
3) use player cheats to move to your desired location
4) log off and then long on to your online server.

Your position on the map is apparently saved to your character for each map id so your position on the offline version will equal your position on the online version.

I used this to fill one of my players death bags with the contents of a death bag that had gotten eaten by a glitch so he didn't have to start over from flint. I could have just given him the stuff but that seemed more cheaty so now he can go get it.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Got killed repeatedly by the second boss. Had to finally quit out because I wasn't getting anywhere. I can't even get all my stuff back. drat. Gonna have to rebuild a bunch of stuff.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

Ojetor posted:

Not really enjoying the plains, everything hits like a truck and takes forever to kill. If I aggro more than a couple of Fulings I'm essentially forced to run away until they deaggro, which makes doing anything here tedious as hell.

Gonna spoiler this for folks who want to learn about plains stuff for themselves. It's mostly generic strategy/tactics stuff for dealing with the beasties there, though, not any spoilers about the boss:

Using Bonemass' power is extremely helpful in the plains, especially when taking on Fuling camps, but yeah, you do need to have your ducks in a row by this point concerning gear, food items, and healing/stamina mead. Regular Fulings themselves actually go down pretty easily if you have an upgraded silver weapon (I cut through swathes just fine with a silver sword), and the black steel sword I'm now rocking eats them for breakfast. It is important to not engage too many at once, though (when attacking camps, you can aggro small groups at a time with a bow), and you have to be extra careful around star versions; these can break through even upgraded black steel shield blocks (although the tower version might be able to stop them, I guess?), so you really want to isolate and 1-on-1 them when possible, moving back from their attacks instead of blocking and then quickly diving in with a heavy attack before they can swing again.

Also Lox are really easy to kill with the silver-tier spear. Their sluggish attacks can be blocked and parried effectively by a silver shield, and when they're stunned you can get in a ton of damage with rapid spear thrusts to the head. It usually only takes me about 3-4 rounds of parry/thrust to bring one down. The Lox meat you gain is a fantastic food source, as you can just roast it on the spit as you do with regular meat instead of having to worry about combining it with a million different things in the pot like other high-tier foodstuffs (though as you progress, you will unlock a recipe that utilizes it in something even better). By itself, it gives you like 70 health and lasts a really long time, so go to town on some Lox (Loxen?) asap and get that meat because it'll help you a lot.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Is there a list of what damage type each enemy is weak to yet? Like, greylings/dwarves are weak to fire, skeletons are weak to blunt, trolls are weak to piercing, etc...

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Well, if we're still map-posting, here's my current map:

I finally got the core-thingos needed to make a smelter+kiln, so I've now been able to get myself some bronze nails for a karve! To celebrate I've been exploring the outer coastlines of the north and west - I actually managed to find some swamp too, up in the north-west!

Now I'm torn between finishing off exploring the huge eastern island, or just jumping straight over to the northern island, establishing an outpost near the edge of a meadow/black forest, then taking a look at the swamplands. But in the meantime, now all I need to do is scout the rivers and straits in the west, then find the last of the southern islands.

EDIT: I kinda wish there was a toggle to hide the icons (or at least the text) so that you can get a better view/screenshot of the map itself

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Yup. More types of markers and a way to filter them would be great (and probably in the plans, 'cause it makes an awful lot of sense).

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
We built a pool with a viewing platform and gate doors out to the ocean and dragged a serpent in with the harpoon. Viking SeaWorld is open folks.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!

reignonyourparade posted:

As far as I can tell there's basically a "bedrock" heightmap that I believe is the same as the starting dirt heightmap, just subtracting several meters, so probably the original ground level in that spot was just a little bit too high to be able to get it to water depth.

Ahhhh, drat! Thats unfortunate. I'll have to keep that in mind if I ever move my base because there's no way I'm relocating simply due to that haha. Put way too much time into that place, haha. Appreciate the responses.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
How do you guys choose where to put bases? It's always in meadows near other biomes, and by water for boats?

Just trying to plan out where to put a portal vs where to put a forward base. The second boss is super far for me to get to , and I don't see swamp or mountain biomes anywhere

Also, what's the best way to stop sailing and go check out a building? I was assuming run around on sand but from what people are saying I should just stop the boat a bit off land and swim?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Drunk in Space posted:

Gonna spoiler this for folks who want to learn about plains stuff for themselves. It's mostly generic strategy/tactics stuff for dealing with the beasties there, though, not any spoilers about the boss:

Using Bonemass' power is extremely helpful in the plains, especially when taking on Fuling camps, but yeah, you do need to have your ducks in a row by this point concerning gear, food items, and healing/stamina mead. Regular Fulings themselves actually go down pretty easily if you have an upgraded silver weapon (I cut through swathes just fine with a silver sword), and the black steel sword I'm now rocking eats them for breakfast. It is important to not engage too many at once, though (when attacking camps, you can aggro small groups at a time with a bow), and you have to be extra careful around star versions; these can break through even upgraded black steel shield blocks (although the tower version might be able to stop them, I guess?), so you really want to isolate and 1-on-1 them when possible, moving back from their attacks instead of blocking and then quickly diving in with a heavy attack before they can swing again.

Also Lox are really easy to kill with the silver-tier spear. Their sluggish attacks can be blocked and parried effectively by a silver shield, and when they're stunned you can get in a ton of damage with rapid spear thrusts to the head. It usually only takes me about 3-4 rounds of parry/thrust to bring one down. The Lox meat you gain is a fantastic food source, as you can just roast it on the spit as you do with regular meat instead of having to worry about combining it with a million different things in the pot like other high-tier foodstuffs (though as you progress, you will unlock a recipe that utilizes it in something even better). By itself, it gives you like 70 health and lasts a really long time, so go to town on some Lox (Loxen?) asap and get that meat because it'll help you a lot.

How to beat fulings without all this work: Use Ategir, hit multiple with secondary attack. Walk backwards when you need stamina or you need to group them up again.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

mastershakeman posted:

How do you guys choose where to put bases?
for me, camp placement goes:

- by water
- somewhere terrain offers advantage, like a hill or peninsula

and/or

- ruins I can convert, to speed things up

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
I'm starting to question my dream of living on a private island. I built a nice little cabin on a decently elevated rock on a small island close to the coast.

Just as I was about to rest, a storm (or just extreme full moon tides?) came out of nowhere and the waves swelled up to rogue wave levels!

Suddenly I was drowning in my own house. I managed to escape to the roof where I slowly died of exposure as the waves extinguished all my camp fires inside the building and I didn't have enough resources left to a new one and protect it from heavy rain.

To add insult to injury, I don't even have any screenshots because I forgot that I had turned off all overlays. :zoid:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bumping into a new island and slapping up a new outpost is the best part of the game, and pushing into the new territory to see what riches you can find is a close second.

In multiplayer the frenzy of activity to get the basics up and running asap is glorious.

I hope long term they (or the inevitable clones that will be made of this game) lean into that mechanic, some kind of system where resources get richer the further from 0,0 you explore and there's a game reason to need ever increasing amounts of "stuff."

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
This may be a dumb question: how the gently caress do you survive the swamp? Draugr and leeches and crypts are no problem but those goddamn Oozes and their poison wreck my poo poo every time.

Psikotik
Dec 17, 2002

Random more like ranDUMB
College Slice

Fishstick posted:

This may be a dumb question: how the gently caress do you survive the swamp? Draugr and leeches and crypts are no problem but those goddamn Oozes and their poison wreck my poo poo every time.

Bronze mace special attack 1 shots them.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Fishstick posted:

Don't get close to them, and whittle them down with arrows. Or use poison resist mead.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Oozes are pretty slow, they are easy to pick apart at a distance, or by poking them whenever they do one of their jumps.

Alternatively, make some poison resistance meads, they should make your life much easier.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Fishstick posted:

Poison resistance meads will lower poison damage to extremely small levels that's mostly covered by food regen.

You really, really want to have a poison resistance buff running all the time whenever you're doing anything in the swamp.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Psikotik posted:

Bronze mace special attack 1 shots them.

I keep forgetting that MMB does the special, unless I want to deconstruct but mess up equipping the hammer

Fishstick posted:

if you combine some food and meat (like queens jam, sausages and cooked meat) you'll end up with enough HP to sustain a few poison DOT. But it's healthier to arrow them and use resistances.

Psikotik
Dec 17, 2002

Random more like ranDUMB
College Slice

haldolium posted:

I keep forgetting that MMB does the special, unless I want to deconstruct but mess up equipping the hammer

*edit* Nevermind, close thumb button works as M3 also.

Psikotik fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Feb 24, 2021

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

I see all these awesome viking longhouses and towns and castles on here and on reddit and it makes me sad that I can only seem to imagine log cabins and square/rectangular buildings

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Otacon posted:

I see all these awesome viking longhouses and towns and castles on here and on reddit and it makes me sad that I can only seem to imagine log cabins and square/rectangular buildings

No shame in using references

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

A longhouse is just a rectangular log cabin though??

Maybe with some 45 degree beams along the outside to sell the illusion. And slap some gates on the short ends.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Some people are making straight-up LOTR poo poo. It's wild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
Re: viking murder music, how about some Swedish stoner rock epics about lovecraftian monsters?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3zuZt5Twlg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ek0u-JaRnTA