Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

On Corrupted Monk now, not really a fan. The moveset is fine but after 10 tries and being able to deflect most of her attacks it's still fatal to take even one and then try get space to heal and recover posture. But despite that it's not too bad but I'd say each fight goes for 5 minutes or so and I'm still only like 1/3 through her health max and posture breaks still won't stick on her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

EmmyOk posted:

On Corrupted Monk now, not really a fan. The moveset is fine but after 10 tries and being able to deflect most of her attacks it's still fatal to take even one and then try get space to heal and recover posture. But despite that it's not too bad but I'd say each fight goes for 5 minutes or so and I'm still only like 1/3 through her health max and posture breaks still won't stick on her.

Mist raven is pretty handy for getting behind her and or getting space to heal while you work out the tempo. Shurikens to keep her from recovering stature when she gets distance too

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

HolePisser1982 posted:

Mist raven is pretty handy for getting behind her and or getting space to heal while you work out the tempo. Shurikens to keep her from recovering stature when she gets distance too

Ty ty

Had a pretty good run on her as my last one before bed. Used all my gourds and my res super early an didn't expect much but then just lasted another few minutes on her with her posture about half filled. Think I've been getting to the cusp of where it really starts sticking till now. I think she's so hard because her attacks nearly fill your posture metre if you mess up and then you have to decide between healing and recovering posture or even going for the attack all at once. She just feels very long but gonna try the shrunken to keep it up!

Fiend Matador
Feb 19, 2011

No shame in backing off and finding other bosses/midbosses to get yourself some more attack/life upgrades when a boss is really being a brick wall, the openness of this game's level design rules.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

when I first played the game I aced the monk on my first try with no problems but I was stuck on that ghost lady forever. shes so cool and so hard

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I beat orin on my 3rd or 4th try after trying poison and it instantly filled half her posture bar after two hits of savinaru. She’s really hard befor using that though imo

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Had two lengthy but failed runs with morning coffee but got her on my third, just clicked with me how many times I could have been going for her health this run.

Also felt nothing but anxiety and dread waiting for that Shinobi Execution lol

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Second Snake Eyes fight rules, granted I had one more AP upgrade. But when you have a clear space to fight her it's an interesting fight and I learned her pattern and got her near perfect in both phases.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Maybe 10 tries into Guardian Ape, and got to his secret phase the last four times pretty comfortably. Find his final phase kind of lame though, the scream can be really hard to get away from and an instant death metre isn't fun to me. Probably place this boss fight above poison pit snake eyes but not much else

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

it's the best boss in the game

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

It's funny that he throws poo at you and farts on you lol but mechanically Genichiro is the peak so far but LB and Gyoubu and a host of minibuses like Ashina elite or Juzou are more fun to me than it. It's cool but the not that good to play imo.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
*smiling, knowingly*

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lmao

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Arrhythmia posted:

*smiling, knowingly*

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

EmmyOk posted:

Maybe 10 tries into Guardian Ape, and got to his secret phase the last four times pretty comfortably. Find his final phase kind of lame though, the scream can be really hard to get away from and an instant death metre isn't fun to me. Probably place this boss fight above poison pit snake eyes but not much else

The scream extends further out in front of him than it does behind him. if you're close when he does it then it's pretty easy to avoid if you just run past him and keep going for a bit, although you'll need to hit the bricks immediately when he begins the animation (instead of waiting until the red "unblockable attack" symbol appears)

the shield tool might work to block the scream, possibly? it's been so long since I tried, so I cant promise I'm not misremembering.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
the shield tool does work but i cant remember if its any shield or just the purple one

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The purple one blocks terror but my amazing from pal was telling me about it as she had suggested it for the headless. But purple umbrella upgrade is locked behind a tool you can only get after beating the ape.

It’s not too bad. Like a poster said the kanji is too late, I think the spurt of blood is the hint to just start sprinting.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Arrhythmia posted:

*smiling, knowingly*

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

The purple one blocks terror but my amazing from pal was telling me about it as she had suggested it for the headless. But purple umbrella upgrade is locked behind a tool you can only get after beating the ape.

It’s not too bad. Like a poster said the kanji is too late, I think the spurt of blood is the hint to just start sprinting.

i had the purple umbrella before the ape. i think only the lazulite tools are locked behind anything

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

EmmyOk posted:

For me it's run the hell away when he starts lifting his head. I think he stands still for a bit before screaming too which is a good "get ready to run the gently caress away". Ranged attacks are good to throw while the scream is happening. That one attack is kind of bullshit but when you learn to spot it the boss becomes way more fun. It's also a bit counter intuitive to try and parry the giant sword swings but it makes the fight way more fun.

I did another attempt at an all bosses (ie. memory or prayer bead drop) deathless run today and can now confidently say that the bulls are the worst bosses, despite dying at the poison pit snake eyes on NG+. They're just so drat boring and obnoxious to fight.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

One time one of the bulls just immediately turned and charged at a wall, knocking itself out for an immediate killing blow and I have absolutely no idea what triggered this

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

scary ghost dog posted:

i had the purple umbrella before the ape. i think only the lazulite tools are locked behind anything

Hrm, maybe I'm misreading the unlocks but I'll have to check. It looked like two things linked to the purple and I thought both had to be bought to unlock that one but maybe only one. Regardless I think his scream I can sprint from. Ended up playing DaS all day and going from gargoyles to beating OS in a sitting ftw

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
that's a hell of a switch

Oh Long Johnson
Oct 22, 2010

Arrhythmia posted:

*smiling, knowingly*

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
the visual tell on the scream is a big inhale that happens way before the kanji.

juggling two playthroughs at once right now. realized i'd never gotten the bad ending so i rushed there and those two fights are sweet. also doing a ng kuro charm run and it is much harder than ng+ kuro and bell. taking damage on blocks means you have to have like 90% parry success early on, and some random stuff is a nightmare. blazing bull doesn't one shot the guys in the yard so you have to finish off two enemies before you can fight the very frustrating bull.

swimsuit
Jan 22, 2009

yeah

Arrhythmia posted:

*smiling, knowingly*

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Guardian Ape down after taking a break between tries to end up platinuming Dark Souls 1 and 2. I actually ended up preferring his second phase after learning to avoid the scream and realising after certain deflects he'd stun. First phase I could reliably get through but always took quite a long time and I found I had to be quite passive and just wait for him not to do spasms and hit after he threw his poo or just sat still etc. Though his throws could kill outright with any small damage so I ended up using a lot of gourds for tiny hp recovery which always feels a bit lame. Would rank him above most minibosses but behind Lord Gen, Blade Elite, and some other minibosses maybe.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Looking back on the video an my GA fight was 13 mins long. Definitely took the wrong approach lol

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

Looking back on the video an my GA fight was 13 mins long. Definitely took the wrong approach lol

ahh the noob style run in circles around him strat.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

No I just stood still and held block instead of learning to deflect him. I thought he was more Vit based but looking back on the video he starts building metre p fast without power much vit damage. Glad that memories exist in this game so I can play him to mastery :hai:

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

EmmyOk posted:

No I just stood still and held block instead of learning to deflect him. I thought he was more Vit based but looking back on the video he starts building metre p fast without power much vit damage. Glad that memories exist in this game so I can play him to mastery :hai:

You've got immortal blade, right? Two swings with that will stagger the first phase and do insane damage. Really good, espescially combined with the sparkles

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

The key to his second form is deflect his sword attacks and he’ll raise up for a giant swing. Deflect that and he’ll flop on the ground stunned. Hit his neck with the spear and hit the spear again to pull out a giant centipede for massive posture damage

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Man with Hat posted:

You've got immortal blade, right? Two swings with that will stagger the first phase and do insane damage. Really good, espescially combined with the sparkles

You can use that for stuff other than deathblows on the immortals in Mt Kongo?

herculon posted:

The key to his second form is deflect his sword attacks and he’ll raise up for a giant swing. Deflect that and he’ll flop on the ground stunned. Hit his neck with the spear and hit the spear again to pull out a giant centipede for massive posture damage

Yeah! I used this a lot. I was finding the second phase hard till I realised that parrying hiss other stuff mainly was to bait out the bigger hit. Also let me keep my distance so sprinting past or backing up from the scream was simple. That spear trick is crazy though, so cool! Those centipedes are gross lol.

His first phase I think I need to deflect in was my big failing. I got horrifically owned the first two times I fought him then found that not taking damage was pretty easy on him but hadn't realised how absurdly long my fights with him were taking. Definitely gonna try hard for deflect on the rematches then try out the ol centipede spear.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

EmmyOk posted:

You can use that for stuff other than deathblows on the immortals in Mt Kongo?

Yeah, you should be able to equip it as a Combat Art. Immortal Draw it's called and it rules

herculon posted:

Ok, wow, I had no idea about this. 258 hours played lol. Gotta try it out, sounds awesome.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
A good trick for GA's first phase is to burn him. I think most beast-type enemies in the game take extra damage to fire. It's one of the only times I use oil in the game.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Chatting to my pal about it and the regular umbrella lets you block his scream and terror build up unlike the headless or shipmen guys. So it lets you stay hyper aggressive in his phase 2

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

It's bizarre you can retry the memory fights if you win directly from the arena idol but if you lose it kicks you to where you accessed the memory from so it has to do a full area load instead of a quick retry option.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

It's bizarre you can retry the memory fights if you win directly from the arena idol but if you lose it kicks you to where you accessed the memory from so it has to do a full area load instead of a quick retry option.

retrying memories was added way after the games release. not sure if thats relevant but i feel like it could be

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Ya just before gauntlets or something I heard? But that doesn't make sense still. If you beat the boss you can use the idol in the arena to try it again. But if you lose you have a super long loading screen while it loads up whatever area and idol you accessed the memory from instead of a "retry memory option". It's still great you can do it but definitely kills the tempo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Having done all the gauntlets I would say wait until you get a PS5 to do them because yeah the load times between attempts are brutal