Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Fishstick posted:

This may be a dumb question: how the gently caress do you survive the swamp? Draugr and leeches and crypts are no problem but those goddamn Oozes and their poison wreck my poo poo every time.

In addition to every other useful tip that has been mentioned, I recommend using the hoe to make level ground to make paths. Also, building a covered campsite does wonders for your recovery speed, even though you'll get the "Wet" debuff as soon as you leave it behind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

I found a meadows biome that is surrounded by all the higher level biomes and I'm wondering if that has an effect on the stuff that spawns here. All the broken down villages have been filled with draugr, and I have seen more starred boars and necks than I ever do in my home meadows. Also after ~120 hours of play time the only 2 star neck I have ever seen spawned here.

If only the plains on this island had some barley and flax, it would be the perfect spot.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
I mainly listened to Hulkoff for my playthrough, very appropriate for the theme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mbsc-3T6o4M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ih-gTGGBvkU

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I wonder if there's a better way to plant and harvest 100+ things. Maybe an AHK macro? I planted this by strafing right/left; could probably do it by clicking every .5s or something.

Carrots for the harvest god!

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Feb 24, 2021

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Ambaire posted:

I wonder if there's a better way to plant and harvest 100+ things. Maybe an AHK macro? I planted this by strafing right/left; could probably do it by clicking every .5s or something.

Carrots for the harvest god!

The antler hammer (?) can sweep them up for you.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

If you just hold down ‘e’ while harvesting it will automatically pick up anything you put your cursor over

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
They need to let you hold down 'E' when filling smelters and kilns. Lots of clicking when I come back from a mining run!

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

DrBox posted:

They need to let you hold down 'E' when filling smelters and kilns. Lots of clicking when I come back from a mining run!

they do its just faster to tap

Goddamn Hippy
Jan 18, 2006
Please accept my viking music offering!

These guys are pure badassery!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfrAQfRFtp4

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Shared Map mod is now available - stores all players map progress on the server and shares it from there, even if you were offline when your friends we're exploring. All clients and server require the install:

https://old.reddit.com/r/valheim/comments/lrfta7/weve_made_shared_map_mod/

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
Last night I went to bed but could not sleep for I had an idea.

Today I bring that idea to life.

I present to you.

The Valhvo

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Has anyone managed to dig out underneath a copper vein and have the entire thing collapse? I'm trying to do it with this one very large deposit I found but after a certain depth it won't let me dig any deeper. I suspect it's related to slope of nearby dirt, when I try to dig out wider I'm able to dig deeper after that.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

Fingerless Gloves posted:

I present to you.

The Valhvo

I give it 2 weeks before you or someone else figures out how to get this to (jankily) function.

This rules lmao

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

"They're boxy, but they're good."

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

How does it handle in the greydwarf test?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

On one hand I hate how much wood you need to make coal to smelt metal.

On the other hand I love the realism of needing an enormous amount of wood to make charcoal to smelt metal.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
smh if you're not melting iron with the breakfast you forgot on the stove

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

Otacon posted:

Shared Map mod is now available - stores all players map progress on the server and shares it from there, even if you were offline when your friends we're exploring. All clients and server require the install:

https://old.reddit.com/r/valheim/comments/lrfta7/weve_made_shared_map_mod/

theres one on mexusmods in which you have to run up to your friend and you hit f10 to share with each other. which i kinda like as an interactivity thing

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Broken Cog posted:

smh if you're not melting iron with the breakfast you forgot on the stove

I haven't had this happen yet, so you're telling me I can turn Deer into fuel??

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
just dig out a water trench next to a fire geyser int he swamps and watch the coal come swimming in, you dorks

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

pik_d posted:

I haven't had this happen yet, so you're telling me I can turn Deer into fuel??

Yeah, if you leave something on the grill for too long, it turns into coal

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Can you chop trees with the battle axe? Asking for a friend.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Copper mining update: After wayyyy too long, and mining random chunks of floating copper, I managed to get the entire thing to collapse all at once.

I am almost certain it would've been way faster to just mine the copper directly and to be sure to dig down 2-3 tiles to catch the rest of the vein, than to dig out the entire vein itself and have it all collapse, especially considering I had to mine like half of the vein anyway to detach it from earthen support.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Fingerless Gloves posted:

I present to you.

The Valhvo

wow you'll be able to make hovercars in this before we do out here

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Talorat posted:

Can you chop trees with the battle axe? Asking for a friend.

Yeah, but it's not very fast

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

SKULL.GIF posted:

Copper mining update: After wayyyy too long, and mining random chunks of floating copper, I managed to get the entire thing to collapse all at once.

I am almost certain it would've been way faster to just mine the copper directly and to be sure to dig down 2-3 tiles to catch the rest of the vein, than to dig out the entire vein itself and have it all collapse, especially considering I had to mine like half of the vein anyway to detach it from earthen support.

this was my conclusion as well, especially later on with a better pickaxe and skill anyway

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Solo map trip report: After innumerable restarts and some multiplayer action, I finally buckled down and created a map to progress through all the bosses while having fun along the way. I've completed preparations for Elder and think I'm finally ready to kill him and raid the swamp.

First off, the base area. I dug a 5-6 wide trench all the way around the safe area; this should be good to fend off troll raids and such, right?

Inside the fence.

On top of the Staging Area.

Organized and labeled chests are a must!

The area I've explored so far.

You may notice a death marker near the mountain. I decided to do a naked run to get a feel for what it had to offer and ran into a swarm of dragon things guarding a nest. I grabbed an egg from the nest and sprinted back down the mountain chased by a wolf, which I tried clubbing and died very horribly. The egg now resides in a chest back at base until I figure out what it's used for.

This is an insanely busy biome area...

First off, Elder and Bonemass are right across the pond from each other, but also there's PLAINS to the east, which when I sailed by the first and only time, I witnessed a swarm of what I guess were goblins assaulting some poor deer; looked like there was a whole village of them. So I got that to worry about...

Also found tons of swamp crypts; just need Elder's key and I can grab em. Waited this long so I could thoroughly prep for post-Elder raids.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Jinnigan posted:

just dig out a water trench next to a fire geyser int he swamps and watch the coal come swimming in, you dorks

Having seen my first fire geyser just last night, can you elaborate?

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Otacon posted:

The fire geysers spawn surtlings which die as soon as they are in water. If you dig the area around the geyser then they just spawn and die. When I did this the geyser only spawned a couple surtlings and then just seemed to stop. Maybe I did something wrong.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Otacon posted:

Flaming skellies spawn on the geyser, and they'll extinguish/kill themselves in the water. Funny spawn location for these guys imo.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

SKULL.GIF posted:

with silver veins it very often would be faster to mine out all the surrounding soil, but in my experience if you do that they'll just float in the air :mad:

you can't tell from that picture, but there's 2+ blocks of space between that vein and any surrounding object, there's absolutely no way the vein is still supported by anything

I did periodically see "Too Hard!" floating damage indicators pop up above every segment of the vein. I think silver is just immune to physics, probably to keep people from skipping straight to it

Jeff the Mediocre
Dec 30, 2013

This game sounds interesting and some of friends play it. I have one question though.

Can you make Grover-longhaus?

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

We did the "excavate entire deposit to see it collapse" thing exactly once and it did not, in fact, collapse, but it actually taught us how huge those deposits are so it's a net win.

I suspect they don't collapse if the deposit consists of multiple entities that clip into each other because they somehow magically support each other or something, but it could also just be extremely broken.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Can someone help me with a terraforming question? If you're like me you've often taken one too many swings at a deposit and ended up marring a nice smooth slope surface. I would like to know if it's possible to restore the slope.

See below image. How do I make these flat jagged areas go away and return the slope to its original look, which you can see for reference to the right?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Jeff the Mediocre posted:

This game sounds interesting and some of friends play it. I have one question though.

Can you make Grover-longhaus?

Your first house will always be a horrifying mess that you cant wait to get out of, yes.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

There's no way to plant Birch trees for renewable sources of Fine Wood, correct?

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
The difficulty curve going into the swamp is loving insane. Crazy poison? constantly wet so you have no stamina recharge? loving waste deep water so you can't dodge the arrows flying at you from every direction?

With the first two areas, you could have some ok gear and do well. With the swamp if you aren't kitted out with all the potions you can make you don't have a loving chance.

Need to go get your body? good loving luck.

E: Do boats despawn when you die? I no longer see it, or any piles of loot that should be there if it was destroyed

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Feb 24, 2021

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
i just died a million miles away exploring for a place to put a portal, nooo. due to a glitch i think, i sailed by the first swamp region i've seen, got shot by an arrow which knocked me out of steering the boat and i couldnt get it to work again

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Vanadium posted:

We did the "excavate entire deposit to see it collapse" thing exactly once and it did not, in fact, collapse, but it actually taught us how huge those deposits are so it's a net win.

I suspect they don't collapse if the deposit consists of multiple entities that clip into each other because they somehow magically support each other or something, but it could also just be extremely broken.

I had it dug out to the point where the entire thing was floating independently, and it took me another 7-8 blocks dug out from the edges before it finally crumbled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlkdrvqmka0

I'm so sick of boxes so I'm branching out. Gonna make a ton of little altar gazebos.