Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

There aren’t any handheld retro consoles that can do GameCube / PS2 levels yet, right? I’d buy a PS2 one instantly, but everything I’ve seen leans towards PS1 / N64 era.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Pathos posted:

There aren’t any handheld retro consoles that can do GameCube / PS2 levels yet, right? I’d buy a PS2 one instantly, but everything I’ve seen leans towards PS1 / N64 era.

They have some that can do PS3/Switch but they’re like 800 bucks.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Rolo posted:

They have some that can do PS3/Switch but they’re like 800 bucks.

Oh yeah, I have one of those. We call them laptops.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Gamecube is just doable on midrange phones on up. High end phones can do Gamecube and Wii well and some PS2 and even Saturn games, so if you bodge together your own handheld with such a phone and a controller grip you're good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAbxEXgbHSo

The Moqi i7s (which is between a midrange and high end phone with built in controls) can do Gamecube well
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vuUAE0QUII

PS3 and some PS2 games still require a full on PC, so only high end portable PC handhelds with the latest Ryzen 4xxx or 11th gen Intel can handle them, and even then not every game because the architecture is difficult to emulate and emulators are not mature
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWrPPmxAH3E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhvrmNE5yng

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Feb 22, 2021

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i think the aya neo looks very cool but it costs way more than i would consider spending on something where after-sales support is a huge question mark. i was kind of disappointed that that alienware concept handheld apparently never went anywhere

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Pathos posted:

the price starts to climb rapidly once you start getting into that stuff, way more than i'd be comfortable spending on one of these

the rp2 and the rg350m/rg351m seem to be in the sweet spot of performance/price (right around 100-150 and being able to handle stuff up to dc/n64/ds with a few exceptions) with stuff that can go beyond that usually double the price or just being an out and out smartphone with a controller built in

i guess i just personally have a mental barrier that won't let me justify paying more than a switch for a handheld emulator

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Same. I buy first party for AAA games and these things to have a tiny, light, cheap thing to play Chrono Trigger for the 80th time after promising myself I’m going to try something new.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
lol I just finished CT again on the RetroPie

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
It’s a good game!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

One might say it's the best game

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Okay, that makes some sense. I guess I just need to decide if I wait a few years (or more?) for mobile computing to move a bit further that the price would drop enough to make PS2 era worth it, or get something now that is good for SNES / PS1 / N64. I guess, typing that out, it seems silly to wait when there are a ton of really great games I probably missed out on from the era that already work.

What’s the best PS1 / N64 / Dreamcast(?) handheld portable out right now? The OP is a bit old now, so I’m not 100% sure what the best option is.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Pathos posted:

Okay, that makes some sense. I guess I just need to decide if I wait a few years (or more?) for mobile computing to move a bit further that the price would drop enough to make PS2 era worth it, or get something now that is good for SNES / PS1 / N64. I guess, typing that out, it seems silly to wait when there are a ton of really great games I probably missed out on from the era that already work.

What’s the best PS1 / N64 / Dreamcast(?) handheld portable out right now? The OP is a bit old now, so I’m not 100% sure what the best option is.

Yep sorry I’m out of town a lot lately so I haven’t been able to update it. Should get some stuff together this week. My immediate advice is to get something that plays older games now and enjoy it until a generational leap happens. It’s the benefit of these being so cheap.

I would look up the Retroid Pocket 2 and RG351p in the meantime. Also r/SBCGaming has plenty of reviews for consoles.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The United States posted:

Gamecube is just doable on midrange phones on up. High end phones can do Gamecube and Wii well and some PS2 and even Saturn games, so if you bodge together your own handheld with such a phone and a controller grip you're good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAbxEXgbHSo

The Moqi i7s (which is between a midrange and high end phone with built in controls) can do Gamecube well
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vuUAE0QUII

PS3 and some PS2 games still require a full on PC, so only high end portable PC handhelds with the latest Ryzen 4xxx or 11th gen Intel can handle them, and even then not every game because the architecture is difficult to emulate and emulators are not mature
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWrPPmxAH3E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhvrmNE5yng

Yeah my GPD win max can do PS2/GameCube and some ps3 but it was also $800.

The new GPD win 3 can probably do PS3 at this point though because the win max was super close on a lot of games.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Rolo posted:

I would look up the Retroid Pocket 2 and RG351p in the meantime. Also r/SBCGaming has plenty of reviews for consoles.

Okay, this is super helpful. Ordered a Retroid Pocket 2. I’m excited! Hopefully setting it up properly isn’t too much of a pain in the rear end, but this seems promising. Thanks for the help, guys!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Pathos posted:

Okay, this is super helpful. Ordered a Retroid Pocket 2. I’m excited! Hopefully setting it up properly isn’t too much of a pain in the rear end, but this seems promising. Thanks for the help, guys!

Killer!

It can seem a bit daunting but I got mine working very well with the stock Retroid build that comes on it and a microSD full of rom folders.

If possible, I do recommend backing up a Retroid config file off-device before and after you tweak it. There’s *something* in it that makes the physical hardware play nice with roms out of the box, also Retroid doesn’t hold your hand too much and gives you the freedom to mess stuff up. I had to reflash the device using a PC but it was my fault in hindsight.

That said, I got mine when they were brand new and there’s a lot more of a community now. There’s even a full subreddit, r/retroid.

Most importantly, what color did you get?

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

I got the default blue on Amazon. A bit poo poo, I know!

I guess I need an SD card reader or something? What’s the best method of getting games onto this thing? I’m sorry if I’m just asking retard simple questions but this will be my first portable emulation machine, so I’m not sure what I need to do to set it up. I’m used to PC emulators but this is new territory for me.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Pathos posted:

I got the default blue on Amazon. A bit poo poo, I know!

I guess I need an SD card reader or something? What’s the best method of getting games onto this thing? I’m sorry if I’m just asking retard simple questions but this will be my first portable emulation machine, so I’m not sure what I need to do to set it up. I’m used to PC emulators but this is new territory for me.

The blue is a good color.

No questions are too simple with these, they all have their own unique learning curves. Here’s a super valuable page for you:

https://wiki.retroidhandhelds.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

I didn’t have to buy a card reader but what I did do was throw a 128gb card in and format it in the device to a way which let me interact with it through a PC and USB-C cable. The details are fuzzy but it was in the wiki and I know I didn’t have to ROOT or buy a card reader at any point.

Bourricot
Aug 7, 2016

Rolo posted:

Same. I buy first party for AAA games and these things to have a tiny, light, cheap thing to play Chrono Trigger for the 80th time after promising myself I’m going to try something new.

If I want to play Chrono Trigger for the first time, which version should I go for? SNES, PS1 or NDS? (FWIW, I'd be playing on my RG351P)

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Bourricot posted:

If I want to play Chrono Trigger for the first time, which version should I go for? SNES, PS1 or NDS? (FWIW, I'd be playing on my RG351P)

I went SNES. It runs flawlessly and I (don’t hate me) feel like the DBZ cinematics bring me out of the experience. I’d rather play the OG then check out the movies on YouTube.

Also, it may be different nowadays, but the PlayStation version of the game had god awful loading times before every single fight that were somehow ported into the digital PlayStation version.

My possibly wrong opinion: play SNES, crank the music and enjoy one of the best video games.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Bourricot posted:

SNES or DS. DS has a different translation which some people like but I have more nostalgia for the SNES one. Either one plays great. Just don't do the PS1 version lol.

Rolo posted:

I went SNES. It runs flawlessly and I (don’t hate me) feel like the DBZ cinematics bring me out of the experience. I’d rather play the OG then check out the movies on YouTube.

Also, it may be different nowadays, but the PlayStation version of the game had god awful loading times before every single fight that were somehow ported into the digital PlayStation version.

My possibly wrong opinion: play SNES, crank the music and enjoy one of the best video games.

Yeah the PS1 load times are horrible, basically it's because for some reason it uses the Japanese ROM and applies the translation on the fly which makes it too big to all fit in the PS1's RAM at once.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
Also kill Magus the second time no mercy bitch

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

So this may be a stupid question, but is there a reason to get one of these if you already have a soft-modded 3DS and/or PSP? I mean, is there something special these devices can do that the others can't?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

AFAIK the psp struggled with some snes stuff even. I think the vita does a better job with it.

Bourricot
Aug 7, 2016

Thanks for the advice everybody! I'll try it today.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Walla posted:

So this may be a stupid question, but is there a reason to get one of these if you already have a soft-modded 3DS and/or PSP? I mean, is there something special these devices can do that the others can't?

It's hard to find a head-to-head between these things and hacked consoles, but not much of one as far as I can tell. The advantages that I see is that they're somewhat cheaper, come in different form factors, and don't require hacking, simple as it is.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Walla posted:

For me one of the differences is that these boot straight into a frontend designed for emulation, whereas the RetroArch UX on the 3DS (can't speak for PSP) is poor to say the least. Depends how much that matters to you.

Also varies handheld to handheld but the screen resolution is generally higher and/or a better aspect ratio for scaling. On the flip side, a 3DS will be far better at playing DS/3DS games natively in addition to the emulated games if that's something you're after. Similar for PSP - less so on the obvious touchscreen/two displays difference, but it's the upper limit of what these are capable of emulating these days. On my RG351P some PSP games play fine and others are far too laggy.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Walla posted:

3DS and PSP aren't very powerful, though on the plus side they can play 3DS and PSP games perfectly. Even the new3DS isn't very powerful. Also the 3DS and PSP screens are not so great.

Vita has a great screen and good controls and is reasonably powerful, but it will still be well behind some of these machines for N64 and Dreamcast. At least it can play PS1 through Sony's own emulator and PSP games too. It's also very expensive with extremely expensive proprietary memory cards.

Basically if you already have a 3DS or PSP or Vita go for it and give homebrew a shot. You'll still get a lot. But since they are out of manufacture, they may not be worth buying at the prices they currently command.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WH3TUHwNTKk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjFGxIfDX70

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Feb 23, 2021

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

The United States posted:

It's also very expensive with extremely expensive proprietary memory cards.

Good news! You can buy a special memory adapter called SD2Vita that works perfectly with microSD cards! I agree with mostly everything else you said.

I love love love my Vita and now that it's easy to hack I don't see myself getting another retro handheld for a long time but it's not the end all be all and it can't do everything.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Marx Headroom posted:

Good news! You can buy a special memory adapter called SD2Vita that works perfectly with microSD cards! I agree with mostly everything else you said.

I love love love my Vita and now that it's easy to hack I don't see myself getting another retro handheld for a long time but it's not the end all be all and it can't do everything.

Also the vita can run Android games now like GTA 3 and stuff. AFAIK they’ve busted open the OpenGL on it and are doing some cool stuff.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I already have a soft-modded PSP and 3DS, as well as a Wii U for psuedo portability.

So it doesn't seem I'm the target audience for one of these unless I just want a new toy.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Walla posted:

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I already have a soft-modded PSP and 3DS, as well as a Wii U for psuedo portability.

So it doesn't seem I'm the target audience for one of these unless I just want a new toy.

Well they emulate games better but if you are happy with your current set up then yeah you aren’t the target.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

MarcusSA posted:

Also the vita can run Android games now like GTA 3 and stuff. AFAIK they’ve busted open the OpenGL on it and are doing some cool stuff.
The Vita GTA ports aren't from the android versions, they're due to the original games being decompiled

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

MarcusSA posted:

Well they emulate games better but if you are happy with your current set up then yeah you aren’t the target.

I honestly am. I'm considering getting a Vita for some of the exclusives and I don't play any games that require precise inputs so the occasional frame drop and lag doesn't really effect me.

Thanks for answering my questions though.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro
So if I’m mainly concerned with playing SNES and earlier on a handheld, is a modded PS Vita more than capable of doing so? For some reason I was under the impression that SNES emulation on it was poor and I was considering getting a New 3DS XL for that alone. But the prices on those have shot up so I started looking at the RG351 and similar.

I already have my Vita modded but RetroArch makes absolutely no sense to me, is there a good guide for morons? I got some 8-bit stuff running in PSP mode through adrenaline but that’s about all I’ve managed.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It might have changed but last I knew snes on the vita wasn’t the greatest. So yeah an RG351 would be your best bet.

It could have changed though so I’m sure someone will say one way or the other.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I recently modded my Vita and messed around with Retroarch. I think I remember the snes being perfectly fine. I’ll test it out later today if no one else chimes in.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Panic Restaurant posted:

So if I’m mainly concerned with playing SNES and earlier on a handheld, is a modded PS Vita more than capable of doing so? For some reason I was under the impression that SNES emulation on it was poor and I was considering getting a New 3DS XL for that alone. But the prices on those have shot up so I started looking at the RG351 and similar.

I already have my Vita modded but RetroArch makes absolutely no sense to me, is there a good guide for morons? I got some 8-bit stuff running in PSP mode through adrenaline but that’s about all I’ve managed.

If you just want SNES and earlier, the powkiddy v90 is cheap and it makes you feel like you're in an alternate universe where Chrono Trigger got a gba port

Just make sure you install the custom firmware and pocketsnes, because the emulator it ships with fuckin sucks

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

The snes cores on vita retroarch are mostly fine but in heavy mode 7 games they can lag just a few frames behind.

Thankfully there is a plugin that allows you to overclock the vita a little to 500 mhz making those games run at 60 fps too. The plugin is called lolicon (:rolleyes:) but it works just fine.

Edit: wait a second this isn't the psp thread! :v:

Willeh fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Feb 24, 2021

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctnUAICCP98

New RG351 coming out next week with a gameboy DMG form factor and, most importantly, a wood grain finish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

flavor.flv posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctnUAICCP98

New RG351 coming out next week with a gameboy DMG form factor and, most importantly, a wood grain finish

Oh come on!!!

I don’t need one of these.... but I sure as hell want it.