Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Now imaging if you will that next to the scrap wood shoe matt (damn right im going to have people kick off their shoes before entering my tiny home) a rocking chair or camping chair, and then beside that a small grill or sawn off 55-gallon barrel sitting on top of a wire spool.

Blue Moonlight posted:

Yeah guys, the OP has dedicated holes in the ground for pissing in.

Yeah. Just don't defecate in them until I build the timbershitter cause that's illegal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice

Rytheric posted:

I just can't stand the noise and dust powered equipment produces. I prefer a quiet calm environment to work on my craft. Similar to how this dude operates below. He is one role model

https://youtu.be/V9W9xQS-EdQ

Ry, have you seen this guy yet? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hy-4NxJRxNQ It's about a half hour of video of a guy who built a cabin in Alaska. I watched it years ago and wanted to provide it here to help for inspiration against all the naysayers and asses in the thread.

dervinosdoom posted:

Motronic, please never stop posting. :allears:

Disagree.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Now imaging if you will that next to the scrap wood shoe matt (damn right im going to have people kick off their shoes before entering my tiny home) a rocking chair or camping chair, and then beside that a small grill or sawn off 55-gallon barrel sitting on top of a wire spool.
So updates.

I got my model kit of the MurderHaus so I may build that tomorrow while I let the French doors dry.

My accidental $2000 telescope purchase is on the road and is making it's way across the US to me.

I got a quote from the surveyor. They quoted $3300 excluding permitting fees to survey, lay down a Plat map, and submit it to the county for record for me which is about twice my highest estimation. I am going to see if they will break it down into task items because I really only need it flagged before the county tells me yay or nay on the septic and I want the funds available to rent the excavator. If they say yay then I would proceed with the final Plat I think.

I am meeting the property owner again tomorrow because he says I may not need a surveyor which is dubious. (Learned that word from everquest as a kid btw)

My company assigned lawyer has yet to contact me so I may contact them tomorrow too.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Earth posted:

Ry, have you seen this guy yet? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hy-4NxJRxNQ It's about a half hour of video of a guy who built a cabin in Alaska. I watched it years ago and wanted to provide it here.

That was pretty enjoyable. Thank you.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Rytheric posted:

You're supposed to sharpen your chisels more than an hour each day.

Okay, this is the point where things completely flipped, for me, and I am no longer sure if anything in this thread is for real.

Dukes Mayo Clinic
Aug 31, 2009
“Spend an hour+ sharpening the chisels you’ll use all day” is the least outlandish thing posted in this thread.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Rytheric posted:

. They quoted $3300 excluding permitting fees to survey, lay down a Plat map, and submit it to the county for record for me which is about twice my highest estimation.

Be ready for a LOT of this.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

My 1:12 model kit (1 inch equals a foot) for the MurderHause came in. I was originally going to glue it together, but looking at the Timbers makes me want to frame it with tiny mortise and tenons.

Here is the collection. Its enough to make two of the main structures for the MurderHaus.

Here is the end of one.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Goosey Lee posted:

“Spend an hour+ sharpening the chisels you’ll use all day” is the least outlandish thing posted in this thread.

exactly, and its not like you start the day and sit there sharpening for over an hour straight; like rytheric said you do it when you notice performance drop off i.e. work a half hour, take a five minute sharpening break, work a half hour, take a sharpen; ten minutes of sharpening for every hour of work shapes out to over an hour of sharpening for a full work day

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Motronic posted:

He's still got to set trusses somehow, and someone who doesn't even know that polyurethane is the protective layer doesn't have any idea how to do this manually, by themselves, from a book.

But then again, that's why were all here, to watch how this fever dream implodes.

I've been around commercial construction my entire life, and I fully understand the urge to try different building techniques. I'm especially fond of historic restoration, and genuinely love learning archaic methodologies, so I can empathize with an urge to try timber framing. It'd be fun for me.

Then I read "I'm gonna hoist timbers on block and tackle like a sailing mast," and think well, good luck with that. Typically, you want to make things easier on yourself, not harder

oggb
Feb 19, 2021
Ry givin me the sickness with that wrist thiccness

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

oggb posted:

Ry givin me the sickness with that wrist thiccness

It's probably the angle. My wrist diameter is between 8 and 9 inches

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Rytheric posted:

It's probably the angle. My wrist diameter is between 8 and 9 inches

Diameter? Or circumference?

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Napoleon Nelson posted:

Diameter? Or circumference?

Lol sorry circumference I am tired.

Just took the inventory of the model kit and labeled the pieces.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

The fact that all of your photos appear to be in a dream state is yet another of the fine-quality timbered trusses lifting this thread upwards towards greatness.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

null_pointer posted:

Okay, this is the point where things completely flipped, for me, and I am no longer sure if anything in this thread is for real.

So story time. The first time I was shaping a piece of wood into a rudder for my makeshift sail boat I used a pressure treated 2x12 because I was a newb and planed it into the foil shape. I ended up slicing my hand open with the first plane because I assumed it came sharp enough from the factory. As it became dull, it became unwieldy and essentially came apart while I was forcing it and it sliced me open. I figured it was just defective, returned it and bought a higher dollar one. It didn't disintegrate before my eyes like the previous one but it also rapidly dulled to the point that I settled for a two handed rasp. By the time I bought my third plane, I started looking up how to sharpen the thing and learned that the factory edge a plane comes with is actually quite dull and learned how to sharpen the plane after purchase and while working with it. Sharpening your tools is a must if you dont want to be fighting the whole time or to prevent your tools from becoming dangerously unwieldy.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

aunt jenkins posted:

The fact that all of your photos appear to be in a dream state is yet another of the fine-quality timbered trusses lifting this thread upwards towards greatness.

I was questioning if I should maintain the aesthetic or find my back up phone.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

um excuse me posted:

Hope I'm not lifting the veil too much but this thread has the classic goon stuck in a well story arc:

OP hasn't quite started digging yet, but he's sure thinking about it.

Well sure, he needs the excavator certification first.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Going back to the subject of poor financial self control how much did that $0.10 of balsa wood cost you?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I like linking this video because this guy is such a pro. I'll be attempting doing this in the summer, gonna make three beams for a roof. I'll use a chainsaw for parts of it though and probably an electric plane, but axes will be a big part of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8DD5NQ1L7c

Guy says at the end that this was 10-11 hours of work.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Goosey Lee posted:

Well it's not a solid hour, more like you gotta stop and spend 5 minutes honing before going back to work, or longer if you nick it then you gotta regrind the edge. A proper tool will reduce that time however. I like my big sand stone grinder since the hollow ground bevel means very easy and quick honing. But for most axe grinds you want a flat bevel or convex bevel so I think a belt grinder then.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

His Divine Shadow posted:

Well it's not a solid hour, more like you gotta stop and spend 5 minutes honing before going back to work, or longer if you nick it then you gotta regrind the edge. A proper tool will reduce that time however. I like my big sand stone grinder since the hollow ground bevel means very easy and quick honing. But for most axe grinds you want a flat bevel or convex bevel so I think a belt grinder then.

yeah but now do this without power tools because they make noise and dust.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

tater_salad posted:

yeah but now do this without power tools because they make noise and dust.

Stones or paper are my preferred way, and you can do straight or convex bevels just fine on that.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

cakesmith handyman posted:

Going back to the subject of poor financial self control how much did that $0.10 of balsa wood cost you?

Well over 100. But it's all the dimensions I needed.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Rytheric posted:

But it's all the dimensions I needed.

wait how many dimensions goes GroverTruk have??

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Johnny Truant posted:

wait how many dimensions goes GroverTruk have??

how many dimensions do you got

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

I like linking this video because this guy is such a pro. I'll be attempting doing this in the summer, gonna make three beams for a roof. I'll use a chainsaw for parts of it though and probably an electric plane, but axes will be a big part of it.

This was a fantastic video. I use to watch woodworking videos to calm me down to sleep for a long while, I need to get back into it.

Work like this I can feel the back strain and sweat. I'd be interested in doing if I had the time but I dont. I have 55 timber pieces which means it would take me well over a year to produce them if I did one per weekend. I've no experience with felling a tree and hesitant to do so, so it's not likely to happen on my end either. I'm going to order my Timbers from a timberframe designing shop I found.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Space Kablooey posted:

how many dimensions do you got

2 for 5, 5 for 2. they got garbage dimensions down the way!

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
I don't think any of this seems that hard, just time consuming. A cursory Google suggests a sips panel is like 1y0 lb, that's a pretty easy one person job to tilt into place off a truck bed or trailer. Grovertruk is probably taller than the top plates or whatever you call them, you can just slide rafters off it's roof.

I've got another question about timber framing though. It just seems like an overly complex pole shed. Like you could achieve much the same thing by bolting and strapping your timber together. So what is the advantage of a mortise and tenon over a bolt? It's cool people are preserving these sorts of techniques don't get me wrong but I couldn't see myself using them.

Just as an aside, Honda's eu10i generator is only 58 dB at full noise. It's only something like 800va but that's heaps for a bunch of household stuff.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Weka posted:

I don't think any of this seems that hard, just time consuming. A cursory Google suggests a sips panel is like 1y0 lb, that's a pretty easy one person job to tilt into place off a truck bed or trailer. Grovertruk is probably taller than the top plates or whatever you call them, you can just slide rafters off it's roof.

I've got another question about timber framing though. It just seems like an overly complex pole shed. Like you could achieve much the same thing by bolting and strapping your timber together. So what is the advantage of a mortise and tenon over a bolt? It's cool people are preserving these sorts of techniques don't get me wrong but I couldn't see myself using them.

Just as an aside, Honda's eu10i generator is only 58 dB at full noise. It's only something like 800va but that's heaps for a bunch of household stuff.

First: I don't know what I'm talking about.
Second: The internet seems to indicate that it could end up being more expensive to use bolts. Not sure how reasonable that is though. The real benefit seems to be speed of construction when you have the timber dropped off at the site with mortise and tenon joints all cut and ready to go.

I expect the main factor here is that he's just simply interested in using joinery because it's cool.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
If well built, Murderhaus could be a 500 year structure. The oldest wood based structures are pretty much all timber framed.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Weka posted:

My constraint with sips is that its expensive in my opinion, all the electric and stuff has to be preplanned and integrated into the sips at a shop, and I thought they were heavier than 100lbs.

As an aside, if I got the sips on the GroverTruk roof, I feel that energy would have been better spent on putting it where it needed to go directly. And GroverTruk sinks on the property during the wet season so I can't drive up to the MurderHaus. I had to get pulled out by one of our drillers last time because I parked in the old church parking lot which had its concrete ripped up and was soft underneath.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

um excuse me posted:

If well built, Murderhaus could be a 500 year structure. The oldest wood based structures are pretty much all timber framed.

And it will take Ry 20 years to build it, he'll live in it for 10, and then it will sit abandoned and rotting for the next 470 years.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Deteriorata posted:

And it will take Ry 20 years to build it, he'll live in it for 10, and then it will sit abandoned and rotting for the next 470 years.

If that is my life, oh well, I've lived well enough. Whatever I do will be better than the dilapidated church lowering everyone's property values.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Rytheric posted:

If that is my life, oh well, I've lived well enough. Whatever I do will be better than the dilapidated church lowering everyone's property values.

And that's fine. The joy is in the building of it. Go nuts. I'm the same way. I build stuff because I enjoy building it. I'm not doing it for posterity.

I was more just making the point that few people really want buildings that last 500 years.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I personally see a million tiny additions like the Kids Next Door treehouse in Murderhaus's future.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Sent this video to my weird uncle who loves this kind of poo poo and obviously he knows him.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Rytheric posted:

My constraint with sips is that its expensive in my opinion
Considering the ease with which they go up making for dramatically reduced labor time, and that you are left with a completely sheathed interior and exterior wall, I'd disagree.

Rytheric posted:

all the electric and stuff has to be preplanned and integrated into the sips at a shop
Nope, you can definitely get them with channels to run wiring through, and you cut the window holes with a rad little chainsaw

Rytheric posted:

I thought they were heavier than 100lbs.
They're two pieces of plywood/OSB with some foam. They're the same weight as two pieces of plywood/OSB in whatever dimensions you're getting the panels in plus a pound or two for the foam. Cake with three people (two to carry, one to guide), easy enough with two, and doable with one person and some ingenuity.

They are the anthesis of your apparent style, though, since you spend a lot of time fussing with a 2 by (8, 10, 12, however thick your foam is) footer to get it perfect, then just drop the walls together.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

um excuse me posted:

So could a well built stick framed house, it's just not a building style that existed 500 years ago.

Rytheric posted:

My constraint with sips is that its expensive in my opinion, all the electric and stuff has to be preplanned and integrated into the sips at a shop, and I thought they were heavier than 100lbs.

I thought economics wasn't a concern? And hhow is a 100lb panel a problem when a 500 lb timber is not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe a stick frame could, you'd have to be able to deal with 500 year weather phenomena which in the Carolinas would probably be freak hurricanes.