Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

CoolCab posted:

well, depending what he paid for it i'm sure he could flip it right now if he was dissatisfied. i would describe the XC3 as being mid tier - it's better than a bunch of the MSI cards, the reference cards, probably the founders cards (although gently caress knows with the prices everything is going), etc. plus EVGA is a better company to deal with if you need to RMA by a lot, even if that's less true right this second.

i get mid 70s with everything cranked in apex - that's 1440p 165hrz, 77ish peak - but my case has a ton of fans in it. honestly the thing that most annoys me is a known issue where sometimes it doesn't like waking up from sleep and needs a reboot. if they don't patch this with software i'll probably RMA it in a bit when things calm down and get that fixed.

e: but I got the Ultra which, in theory only has a backplate and out of the box overclock over the stock XC3 but maybe that has a thermal impact idk

Isn't the difference between all FE and partner cards like 1-2% across the board? I could see how 2 vs. 3 fans would make a difference for thermals but I thought they were all pretty close performancewise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Cygni posted:

it finally happened, rip (Fry's fuckin sucked but at least they were cheap for a long time. I bought easily 50+ CPU and motherboard combos there.)

https://twitter.com/bill0004/status/1364407906192424964

I'd say "RIP to a real one", but considering they'd still been parroting that same bullshit "we're getting a new distributor" line even as recently as last month when I dipped in to grab some keystone jacks for almost two years, they been fronting.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I'd say "RIP to a real one", but considering they'd still been parroting that same bullshit "we're getting a new distributor" line even as recently as last month when I dipped in to grab some keystone jacks for almost two years, they been fronting.

Clearly they've diverted all their stock to the Las Vegas store because of CES! Everything will be back to normal by February, obviously.

Bitwit and Wifeysauce even did a video on it in January 2020:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wq2rUsUTL_0

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

change my name posted:

Isn't the difference between all FE and partner cards like 1-2% across the board? I could see how 2 vs. 3 fans would make a difference for thermals but I thought they were all pretty close performancewise

oh they're incredibly close - the worst most pulled-from-a-dell reference model trash 3080 absolute destroys the best possible, +50% markup nine fans 3070, we are talking about the margins of margins. i think that's true of almost if not all of the stack.

i think the biggest feature other than thermals is power limit - fancier cards have better VRMs and other components which allows them to boost or overclock higher, that's more or less it. i didn't think the 30 series were great overclockers anyway so pretty academic.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

CoolCab posted:

oh they're incredibly close - the worst most pulled-from-a-dell reference model trash 3080 absolute destroys the best possible, +50% markup nine fans 3070, we are talking about the margins of margins. i think that's true of almost if not all of the stack.

i think the biggest feature other than thermals is power limit - fancier cards have better VRMs and other components which allows them to boost or overclock higher, that's more or less it. i didn't think the 30 series were great overclockers anyway so pretty academic.

My 3060ti FE has overclocked better than I expected but I think that was pure silicon lottery.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Oh man, my PC actually made it out of Memphis and is on the truck for delivery. Thank you me ordering a customized prebuilt like 2 months ago when I realized I'd never ever be able to just buy a 3080 without putting way too much effort in

ufarn
May 30, 2009

TacticalHoodie posted:

Do anyone have one of the XC3 EVGA 3070 who can comment on the temperatures from personal use? My buddy got one during yesterday's Best Buy drop and he is all bummed out when he looked at the reviews as he keeps calling it a "lower end" 3070.
Try undervolting it with MSI Afterburner. There's been a lot of how-to in the thread, including in my post history.

If the issue is high temps, undervolting can cut them by like 10C if you're lucky. Some cards basically try to squeeze too much performance out at maximum load, and sometimes performance is even worse off for it.

You want to try undervolting regardless because it's basically a free-ish improvement in thermals, noise, and maybe even performance, not just as some last resort because you friend's card might be underperforming.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I could hug you. If it wasn't a pandemic. With your consent, of course.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

flakeloaf posted:

My TUF 3090 does this too. Event viewer says it's an issue with NVidia's driver failing and recovering. Seems to happen more often when I've got a buncha tabs open in Firefox with videos on them

Do you guys have Zen 3s as well

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

terrorist ambulance posted:

Do you guys have Zen 3s as well

8700K here.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
461.51 driver is supposed to fix the random TDRs.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
So the good news is that EVGA and Gigabyte both have $329 3060 SKUs.

The bad news is the card is supposedly slower than a 5700XT and falls between a 2060 and 2060S/2070. :toot:

I guess we know why nVidia tried to shape the narrative around [REDACTED] instead of the card's predicted performance. I don't think there's ever been an embargo this tight for any consumer GPU launch. We're 24h from the launch and only JUST learned that only TWO North American manufacturers are planning original MSRP SKUs. Who knows what corners were cut to make that price point given that the other cards are all $450-500+.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The bad news is the card is supposedly slower than a 5700XT and falls between a 2060 and 2060S/2070. :toot:

Jesus that’s sad. The 3060ti is around 2080S level, isn’t it? That’s what most of my benchmarks have been shaking out at, at least. That’s a pretty big gulf and makes me think they should have just called it a 3050.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
i bought a vr headset and i am looking at gpu prices, how is my 1080 still getting high prices even when used? is this the gpu apocalypse? do we have to scrounge and scavenge garbage mountains for ancient 980's just so we can play skyrim for the 100th time?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Jesus that’s sad. The 3060ti is around 2080S level, isn’t it? That’s what most of my benchmarks have been shaking out at, at least. That’s a pretty big gulf and makes me think they should have just called it a 3050.

honestly with the benefit of hindsight i would have made the 3060ti the 3070 and launch the 3070ti using the 3070 stock. the 3060ti is basically just a cutdown 3070 while the 3060 is going to wind up being a very different thing.

but hey it will have twelve gigs of vram for no reason can't imagine that having an impact on how much it costs to produce lmao

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

I am feeling that they are trying to steal AMD's Thunder again when AMD has already shot themselves in the foot with stock. Who know, they might have amassed a ton of 6700 chips.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The 12GB VRAM thing is so dumb, like, I’m not going to be doing anything on a 3060 that cracks 8GB anyway, it’s plainly a thing to go “number bigger!” over AMD on a less performant part. If my 3060ti had 10-12GB instead of 8, ok, now we’re talkin’. I feel like the VRAM is what’s going to force me to upgrade this card.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The 3060 is a cheaper 2070/2060S

Except it's only cheaper at MSRP, which lmao

Also I think the 12GB VRAM is because of how the chips interact with the bus: you either go 6 or 12, and 6 would be a joke

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

gradenko_2000 posted:

Also I think the 12GB VRAM is because of how the chips interact with the bus: you either go 6 or 12, and 6 would be a joke

i heard it was originally leaked at a lower VRAM number and nvidia changed it in response to AMD's offerings but that might have been total bollocks. i am curious as to why the ram quantity behaves differently to the 8 gig 3070 tho?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

CoolCab posted:

i am curious as to why the ram quantity behaves differently to the 8 gig 3070 tho?

The chip used in the 3060ti/3070 has a 256-bit bus, but the chip used in the 3060 has a 192-bit bus

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
They should have just called it the 2660 and released it at 6GB.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

It also suggests the 3050 itself will not be a huge improvement over the 1650 aside from DLSS - which would be nice to see in a lower price bracket, though it won't work miracles at sub-1080p - and raytracing, which will be restricted in utility to say the least.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Hasturtium posted:

It also suggests the 3050 itself will not be a huge improvement over the 1650 aside from DLSS - which would be nice to see in a lower price bracket, though it won't work miracles at sub-1080p - and raytracing, which will be restricted in utility to say the least.

Yeah, the more I really think the more I feel they should have done what they did with the 2000 line and not done a 50, and do the marginal upgrades as a midline. Make the 3060ti the 3060, the 3060 the 2660, and the 3050 a 2650. Then you have some wiggle room for a 2660 Super at some point if it makes sense. It keeps the new line kind of premium and lets you aim stuff at the mid/low range market more specifically.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I guess we know why nVidia tried to shape the narrative around [REDACTED] instead of the card's predicted performance. I don't think there's ever been an embargo this tight for any consumer GPU launch. We're 24h from the launch and only JUST learned that only TWO North American manufacturers are planning original MSRP SKUs. Who knows what corners were cut to make that price point given that the other cards are all $450-500+.

somehow I doubt there is going to be any volume in those SKUs though. With the market the way it is they'll move everything they've got in ten seconds flat at 50% over MSRP regardless, so why do it.

Yeah, the more I really think the more I feel they should have done what they did with the 2000 line and not done a 50, and do the marginal upgrades as a midline. Make the 3060ti the 3060, the 3060 the 2660, and the 3050 a 2650. Then you have some wiggle room for a 2660 Super at some point if it makes sense. It keeps the new line kind of premium and lets you aim stuff at the mid/low range market more specifically.

people perennially whine about the complexity of the naming scheme, so having a whole separate midline is a bad idea. Especially since there is not the justification of the midline lacking RTX this time, it would be a midline just for the sake of having a midline.

in an alternate universe people are making meme posts about which is supposed to be better, a 2660 Ti or a 3050 and sighing angrily.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

repiv posted:

The chip used in the 3060ti/3070 has a 256-bit bus, but the chip used in the 3060 has a 192-bit bus

Should’ve done 6+2GB and avoided a lawsuit by saying it sucks up front.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Big Mackson posted:

i bought a vr headset and i am looking at gpu prices, how is my 1080 still getting high prices even when used? is this the gpu apocalypse? do we have to scrounge and scavenge garbage mountains for ancient 980's just so we can play skyrim for the 100th time?

It's currently the GPU apocalypse, yes. The issue is not with just the GPU but since it's the GPU thread, yeah it's the GPU apocalypse.

It's a mix of many issues and they can't make enough cards but the main point on the customers side trying to get their hands on cards to play; the stock is immediately purchased by resellers using bots and what not, gamers who embraced the bot technology to get cards for themselves, people wanting to mine cryptocurrencies, mining farms for cyrpocurrencies, etc... People turn to the used market to get ANY cards and it hosed that second hand market too. People keep posting their stories of selling their old 1070 and 1080 or 1080 TI at insane prices. Prices higher than the normal pricing on some of the current 3000 series.

I pity anyone building a PC these days or having their GPU die on them and requiring to buy another.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

hobbesmaster posted:

Should’ve done 6+2GB and avoided a lawsuit by saying it sucks up front.

Oh God, the 550 Ti/660 problem all over again... 3/4ths of your RAM is as fast as advertised, just don't use the last quarter and you'll be happy! :q:

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

The magic of double posting. Sorry.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

Hemish posted:

I pity anyone building a PC these days or having their GPU die on them and requiring to buy another.

i am glad my gpu died 2 years ago and i got an 1070ti then later i got an 1080 for free. lucky ducky!

Zig-Zag
Aug 29, 2007

Why don't we just start shooting tar heroin instead?
If I can snap up a 3060 around msrp IL be happy with that. Anythings gotta be better than a 970.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Hasturtium posted:

The magic of double posting. Sorry.

The second post is inferior to the first, brilliantly mirroring the VRAM situation.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

repiv posted:

oh huh, interesting thanks. yeah i would guess they originally were going to target 6 if that was their design and got pressured by AMD.

i'm also going to out myself as someone who owned a 760 up until lockdown left me with nothing but time (now...three cards ago lol), i feel like they might have gotten away with 6? i don't play a ton of games that aren't apex but it describes 8 gigs of VRAM as "insane" in ingame menus and i feel like that's probably going to remain pretty true at 1080 for at least a lot of games. the new console generation is ridiculously good for the price point (essentially subsidized by subscription services) and they have a combined 16 gigs of ram and vram. this might be a funny post to quote in a year but from my limited layman observation i do not expect (or, hope given my 3070) for vram demand to escalate that highly in the near future, particularly given almost no one can upgrade right now anyway.

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

TacticalHoodie posted:

Do anyone have one of the XC3 EVGA 3070 who can comment on the temperatures from personal use? My buddy got one during yesterday's Best Buy drop and he is all bummed out when he looked at the reviews as he keeps calling it a "lower end" 3070.

I mean the difference between a "lower end" and "high end" 3070 means what in the most extreme scenario? A few percentage points difference in performance on average (assuming that this discrepancy isn't just random variance)? If you hit the silicon lottery, maybe 5% - 10%? It's sad to hear that your friend is getting bummed out over this insignificant stuff given that he hit the lottery by being able to buy one.

mA fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Feb 24, 2021

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I have that model. In an ITX setting, it’s fine as far as temperature is concerned. I did some minor undervolting and at worst, I hit 70C. I can get some numbers later on of a usual game session, but I’m over all really happy with the card. It’s pretty quiet (my CPU and case fans are louder), temps are nothing I’m worried about.

I can nitpick and say I wish I got a 3080 for my 1440p setup or complain that it doesn’t look as sleek as the FE models, but overall I’m quite happy with it.

e: I genuinely think your friend is overreacting here. I’d rather a “lower end” 3070 GPU through EVGA over a hypothetical high end 3070 MSI GPU. Customer service is phenomenal in the States.

e2: just to verify, the model I own is a 08G-P5-3755-KR just to be specific.

buglord fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Feb 24, 2021

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

TacticalHoodie posted:

the difference between a low-end and a high-end version of a card has been getting smaller and smaller for generations now and it's never been smaller than with Ampere. He would be better off buying a low-end 3080 and underclocking/undervolting than a super premium 3070, it's almost always a mistake to buy a premium midrange card instead of a basic high-end card. Basically the only time a premium version of a card is worth it is if you're already at the top of the lineup because gently caress it, what's another $200 on a 3080/3090 you're already spending $1800 for.

the budget cards are considered super desirable for this reason and are also the models with the least stock available due to manufacturers shunting stock into more expensive models since they know it'll sell anyway, XC3 cards are highly desirable and extremely rare compared to FTW3. He's being a giant loving baby given the supply problems at the moment. Enjoy the 2080 Ti performance on a budget.

if it turns out he doesn't like the temps, ramp up the fans a bit. It being a bit noisier than he'd like is the worst-case scenario here, even the reference cards (which are much smaller) hit perfectly acceptable thermals if you crank the fans.

alternately let your friend hunt for a better card and then see if he'll sell it to you for what he paid.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Feb 24, 2021

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
yeah like I say I'm very happy with the card. i set out a range for what i wanted to buy (a 3060, a 3060ti or a 3070) with the stipulation I wouldn't pay more than £100 over the FE's retail price (which honestly seems like kind of a fantasy now). i watched a youtube comparison and there are significantly worse AIB 3070s out there in terms of cooling and power limit* (it's a three fan card). tell your friend it's just people who'd spent significantly more to get what to most users is the exact same product (with a better warranty than most on top).

*apologies, limit not consumption

CoolCab fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Feb 24, 2021

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
As someone who would love to have a current gen card and is stuck on a lovely busted fan Zotac 1070 your friend being a little bummed about having a "lower-end" 3070 can go gently caress themself, no offense.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Is this "newegg shuffle" thing that people keep referring to basically just newegg letting you put your name in a hat whenever they get some cards in stock to see if you can buy one?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Shear Modulus posted:

Is this "newegg shuffle" thing that people keep referring to basically just newegg letting you put your name in a hat whenever they get some cards in stock to see if you can buy one?

yes but not so fast, you also have to take a grenade-tier power supply bundled in to raise the price an extra $150

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Internet Explorer posted:

I could hug you. If it wasn't a pandemic. With your consent, of course.

Go for it.

Take this sign and use it forever more.