Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

MikeCrotch posted:

Yeah I thought TSP Remastered was coming to Arena, mb

Re. Whether Historic is going to become Pioneer WotC also said that they were planning on adding enough cards to Arena to make Pioneer legal there, and it seems very strange to have both Pioneer and Historic at that point unless they start going back further than RtR for Historic?

Or is it just going to be Pioneer + Muxus or whatever

there are already 274 cards you can play in historic that aren't pioneer legal

like other posters said, the goal has always for historic to eventually be a superset of pioneer, containing all the cards in pioneer (and at that point having pioneer being a format you can play on arena outright). think of it like arena legacy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Aranan posted:

Generally just call both of them "blink" or "flicker" and if specificity is needed I'll say one is fast or slow.

I usually go with this too. They're interchangeable to me, I just specify "until end of turn" or whatever and it's fine.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I bet the Historic plan is for it to be Pioneer-ish right up to the point Pioneer is here, then start trying to power it into something closer to "fair modern" through Anthologies.

If we really do get Pioneer going in earnest this summer, it wouldn't surprise me if stuff like Bolt, Vial, Path and Cryptic start showing up for Historic this fall or this time next year. But we'll probably never see stuff like Manamorphose, the dredgers, Chalice.

I could see getting Stoneforge but never getting the swords. Noble but never Dryad Arbor. The Horizon Canopies but never the fetches. That kind of thing.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Feb 24, 2021

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Imo blink should be until end of turn because the spell Blink in WoW blinks you forward.

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!

AlternateNu posted:

Blink vs Flicker

:same:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I would call both effects "blinking" because Momentary Blink was such a huge card when it was legal.

If pressed, I would probably call the "until end of turn" effect "flicker"

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

i call both flicker, because of ghostly flicker, the pauper powerhouse

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Jabor posted:

One of them is on Momentary Blink and the other one is on Flickerwisp, so it's more about historical convention than it is about what "seems" faster.

There's a card called Flicker that's older than both, guess which one it does

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
I call the fast one flicker or blink

I propose that we call the slow one Journey, after Otherworldly Journey, not to be confused with Journey to Nowhere which is a different kind of exile

Bonus points for the ability to taunt your opponent with lyrics from Don't Stop Believin, e.g., "In response to your Terminate, I think I will send my Tarmogoyf on the midnight train goin' anywhere"

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

What if we call the EoT effect flicker (because of Flickerwisp) and we call the instant effect Ephemerate, and then we can use Blink for something else.

fadam fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Feb 24, 2021

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Like a lot of terminology in Magic, it's dependent on when you got into the game. I call the slow one "Flicker" because the first card I saw with that kind of ability was Flickerform.

Randomly, I just discovered that they printed another 2CMCMana Value blink/flicker effect in Theros Beyond Death.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

fadam posted:

What term do you guys call each of these effects:

1. Exile a creature then return it to the battlefield

2. Exile a creature then return it to the battlefield at the beginning of the next end step.
1. Flicker

2. Flicker

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

I use blink and flicker interchangeably.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I was gonna make a joke about it being phasing but phasing is a keyword already, cool cool cool

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

fadam posted:

What if we call the EoT effect flicker (because of Flickerwisp) and we call the instant effect Ephemerate, and then we can use Blink for something else.

Nah I’ll stick with my og answer

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Flink and bicker

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you
I mean I will also just say “i resto this” and point

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Blink and “Blink and you’ll miss it”

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I call them winking

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/itsyourboyLOPE/status/1364595839570739201

who was saying the commander set's foils were the worst? yikes.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Everyone knows to "blink" something is to return it to it's owner's hand. Don't tell me you never played Blinking Spirit.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Return something to hand is "bouncing". We even have "bounce lands"... not "blink lands".

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Teferi's blinking throne
Land
T: Add W or U, Tefert's blinking throne phases out.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

VictualSquid posted:

Teferi's blinking throne
Land
T: Add W or U, Tefert's blinking throne phases out.

It comes back there next turn then untaps, this is just an upside since you can tap it and cast Armageddon/whatever and it'll be in play next turn lol.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
Ephara calls both effects 'draw a card'.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

I always refer to every effect using the Oracle text.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MikeCrotch posted:

Yeah I thought TSP Remastered was coming to Arena, mb

Re. Whether Historic is going to become Pioneer WotC also said that they were planning on adding enough cards to Arena to make Pioneer legal there, and it seems very strange to have both Pioneer and Historic at that point unless they start going back further than RtR for Historic?

Or is it just going to be Pioneer + Muxus or whatever

WotC's stated intention for Historic is for it to be a unique, curated constructed format, including select cards from across mtg history (through Anthologies and Jumpstart) and cards from sets that have been standard legal (through Standard releases since Dominaria and through Remastered sets before DOM).

I personally don't see any reason for WotC to stop once they Remaster RTR (and presumably add the missing Pioneer-legal cards that have been left out from Remasters). There's nothing stopping them from going until Historic becomes a superset of Modern, and beyond until it eventually becomes 1:1 with Vintage.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you
Can somebody post a picture of a foil like crumpled into a ball and then post it like drat look at these foils, maybe fold it right in half first?

I really enjoy seeing the posts

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
apparently they are doing a bunch of alt-border cards for time spiral remastered?
https://twitter.com/GavinVerhey/status/1364666370730778625

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Yeah, and apparently the old bordered cards will be ones that were never in the old frame and are not in the original Time Spiral block.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Cactrot posted:

Yeah, and apparently the old bordered cards will be ones that were never in the old frame and are not in the original Time Spiral block.

So Languish instead of Damnation? :/

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
It's going to be interesting to see which walkers they decide to old-border.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I don't think there were Walkers in TS. Or are they adding new cards?

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?

fadam posted:

They are printing modern cards not from time spiral block into the old border. As I recall, they have already stated no planeswalkers are getting the old border treatment here.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

fadam posted:

They were not. They came next set in Lorwyn.
Goyf, however, teased it.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

flatluigi posted:

apparently they are doing a bunch of alt-border cards for time spiral remastered?
https://twitter.com/GavinVerhey/status/1364666370730778625

This reminds me of how brown artifacts are far superior to silver artifacts.

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv
ah im gonna buy a box of this

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

bigperm posted:

Ephara calls both effects 'draw a card'.

I loved this card, I played a blue/white midrangey deck with her, Heliod, Brimaz and Precinct Captain for 2 thirds of the Ravnica/Theros standard.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Magic Underwear posted:

This reminds me of how brown artifacts are far superior to silver artifacts.
:emptyquote:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

fadam posted:

None of the old border cards they've previewed were in time spiral