Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

But watching I feel like I am just watching elsa finger friend family for adults.
I had to read this like five times with some radically different interpretations coming out of it.

CoolCab posted:

you run the risk of communicating one thing with your words and a radically different one with your presentation
My reproduction full SS officers' uniform has people asking a lot of questions definitely not answered by my presentation.

Failed Imagineer posted:

I'm all about trackie pants and hoodie life these days, but then my missus just showed me a pic from last summer where I was in a good jeans/jacket/shades combo, about 15lbs svelter due to actual outdoorsiness, and I actually envied my own look, so maybe it's time to reconstruct my poo poo.

e: Kosmos 133 was the first uncrewed test flight of the Soyuz spacecraft and the first mission of the Soyuz program.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Feb 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I identify heavily with that comic, but I think Yoshimitsu is more my look

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Failed Imagineer posted:

I identify heavily with that comic, but I think Yoshimitsu is more my look

Which version?

Personally I wish I could wear the cool beetle armour.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I wear dark jeans and polo shirts for work, and whenever we get an email from senior management reminding us that jeans are against uniform policy, I shrug and carry on.
The older children I work with could have a different response to being told they need to go and see someone who's wearing smart clothes (the younger ones don't have the kind of social awareness to recognise 'smart'), which is my rationale for my choice of work outfits.
Well, that and I'm not going to crawl around on the floor (which is sometimes required for my work) while wearing smart clothes.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Josef bugman posted:

Which version?

Personally I wish I could wear the cool beetle armour.

They're all good except maybe the squid like one

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

I had to read this like five times with some radically different interpretations coming out of it.

I figured that would happen to someone, I mean the weird animated youtube videos using popular IPs designed for toddlers where they sing songs and occasionally re-enact plotlines from eastenders.

They're largely nonsensical but the colours and recognizable imagery and sound keep children occupied. Hence the comparison, bright colours, pretty imagery, lacking substance, made to capitalize on monetization.

E: also having a wardrobe comprised almost entirely of black trousers and black t shirts for work makes it fairly easy to dress yourself.

kingturnip posted:

Well, that and I'm not going to crawl around on the floor (which is sometimes required for my work) while wearing smart clothes.

It is very annoying I have to wear trousers when I keep ripping the gusset because I have to crawl around. I think it's a conspiracy by Big Trousers.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Feb 24, 2021

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

OH NO!!! Our ability to kill brown people is being severely diminished!

Does size matter for Britain's shrinking Army?

quote:

The British army is already the smallest it's been in 400 years. And it's about to get even smaller.

A cut in the number of troops is expected in a defence review, due to be published next month.

Options include losing up to 10,000 soldiers from the regular Army's notional strength of 82,000 in order to help fund its modernisation.

Also

quote:

Kim Darroch, the former British ambassador to Washington, recently said the message from the Pentagon was "…do not go down any further and expect to retain your current credibility".

The truth is that the British Army's credibility had already been damaged in the eyes of the US.

America had to come to the rescue of the British army in both Iraq and Afghanistan.

Lmao.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

bessantj posted:

OH NO!!! Our ability to kill brown people is being severely diminished!

Does size matter for Britain's shrinking Army?

this will just make when boris decides to invade ireland/iceland/calais all the funnier so im for it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I figured that would happen to someone, I mean the weird animated youtube videos using popular IPs designed for toddlers where they sing songs and occasionally re-enact plotlines from eastenders.
I got there eventually but my brain kept sliding off at "I feel like I am just watching elsa finger" because that is where a verb could be.

ItohRespectArmy posted:

this will just make when boris decides to invade ireland/iceland/calais all the funnier so im for it.
we (UK) should simply invade Ireland with three guys

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Oh, I know, all the constant pompous bullshit about how we have to retain our military credibility in the eyes of the Yanks, when we already utterly trashed it through two botched deployments in two separate wars, both of which they had to bail us out of when it became clear that we had neither the manpower nor the equipment nor the military leadership required to actually do the stuff we'd committed to.

As far as I'm concerned, the smaller our armed forces the better anyway: for all the flag-waving, we couldn't invade anywhere these days with our titchy military, even if we wanted to.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If the yanks don't want to bail people out of wars maybe don't start them.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Pistol_Pete posted:

As far as I'm concerned, the smaller our armed forces the better anyway: for all the flag-waving, we couldn't invade anywhere these days with our titchy military, even if we wanted to.

Yeah, pretty much this. We should re-mission our military to home defense from the current "force projection" foolishness.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

bessantj posted:

"…do not go down any further and expect to retain your current credibility".

Lmao.

We have a current credibility?

(Ignore my custom title!)

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
If anything the Americans did in Iraq or Afghanistan constituted bailing us out I'd be fascinated to know what it would have looked like if they hadn't

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Well as he said the other day, if he's being attacked from the left and the right he's probably doing things right. This is proof of that.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Pesky Splinter posted:

Have we considered that Starmer knows the Labour party is too rotten to the core, and has to die for something new to emerge? :tinfoil:

In all seriousness, if he's an MI5 stooge, or if he genuinely thinks he's playing 7th dimension chess and doing a good job, then the outcome is basically the same; a tame, hobbled opposition that won't rock the boat, and will agree with the worst that the Tories have to offer.

Had a long chat this afternoon with a local comrade hanging in on the Labour party by his fingernails about the local goings-on and who gave me the dirty lowdown on local suspensions.
We have concluded that Project Stairmaster is kick out the entire left, reduce the party to a membership of around 150k (like the tories) and get funding from a few Big Donors.
I think I've mentioned before that apparently any member NOT paying the full rate costs local CLPs money so they won't care if non-full payers leave, they'll be financially better off.
Campaigning to be principally via formal social media adverts and feeds so feet on the ground for canvassing, leafleting etc not required.

Josef bugman posted:

See I like to wear my nice clothes sometimes because it makes me sometimes feel a bit better about myself. It's why I shower every day and put on deodorant even though I am probably not going to be seen by more than 3 people over the course of a week and not for longer than 10 minutes at most. (London living with housemates)

I think that having some level of "presentation" is important for reminding ourselves that we are ourselves.

I've 'worked from home' for almost 14 years now. I shower daily and wash my hair most days, shave my legs and all that stuff because it makes ME feel better even if I'm not going to see anyone. I don't wear makeup though. I have very sensitive skin and just about anything irritates it.

Re 'nice clothes': which of you has planted a video-enabled bug in my flat?
(Except not the sandals. I do have a pair of my late father's one-size too big shoe-slippers that I wear to go out to The Bins in. (They were almost new when he passed away and as I don't care what's on my feet really - gave up caring when I reached size 10 (Euro 44) and getting any women's shoes regardless of appearance required trips to London and mortgages on each foot let alone any shoes that look nice).

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Pistonheads forums tend to be pretty right wing (by this thread's standards at least) but I like to read them from time to time, just to get a different perspective on things - they tend conservative but articulate and the forum is structured pretty similarly to this one.

They have a nearly 200 page Keir Starmer thread! I've browsed through the last few day's posts and here is a centre/ rightwing view of his efforts so far:

Pistonheads Poster posted:

As it stands, Starmer has had a prolapse. There were the odd smidgens of expectation that he was doing the right things, but he has not followed through. He should have focused 100% over the last year on sorting out his party and what it stands for beyond Covid, and beyond Brexit. The first is a poisoned chalice he should simply have been thankful he didn't have to deal with and kept his head down on, and the second is over for the next term or 5 of UK govt.

Clear out the barmier part of the party and work on some decent policies that people will get behind. Do the leg work.

His big problem now is that if the vaccine is even remotely effective (and we had all better hope it is), we will have seen Johnson's weakest moment in this term.

Starmer still has time. But he now has a year of piss arsing about behind him and he needs to build a foundation. Right now he has nothing. Other than booting RLB out the door and if doesn't act soon, that will come back to haunt him when it shouldn't be able to.

The fact that he sat on Corbyn's front bench not once but twice & went out to bat with the last bat-st crazy Labour manifesto were massive , massive errors of judgement. I would have far more time for him if he'd bided his time sat on the back benches until Corbyn's demise. Also far too quiet about antisemitism etc.until after Corbyn had gone.

Either that or if he was actually broadly in agreement with the program in which case he's just another nutter but with a veneer of respectability.

Overall plainly short on conviction & neither option is one I can reconcile with someone I'd trust to have his hands on the levers.

I listened to Starmer's reply to Johnson's HoC statement earlier this week and it just wasn't very compelling. His broader problem is that he hasn't (yet?) found a significant point of difference that he can press the Government on, either related to COVID or other policy areas. That's not to say he isn't trying to distinguish Labour from the Conservatives just that there's nothing significantly different to really breakthrough into people's consciousness. We don't really know what he wants to do and so it's easy to fall back onto the "usual" party stereotypes (which are never flattering, regardless of party). His speech last week was a huge failure in that regard.

In my view this is exacerbated by a speaking style which I suspect he intends to be earnest but in fact comes across as a bit whiny ("are we nearly there yet?"). He's also not helped by his shadow cabinet who are largely anonymous, unless you're some sort of political obsessive.

And a bit more positive:

I think he's a decent man, doing what he think's right for the country right now rather than scoring cheap points (unlike some regional leaders I could think of).
No doubt this is at odds with the party headbangers.

I was struck that, from a different political perspective, the Pistonheads thread had reached a pretty similar consensus on him to this thread - That he's wasted time, failed to produce anything of substance and doesn't come across as committed or trustworthy. Backs up those polls posted a little further back in the thread showing that he's lost credibility with both 2019 Labour and Conservative voters.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Guavanaut posted:

we (UK) should simply invade Ireland with three guys

A British Isles reenactment of the first Sino-Japanese war incoming, where the former small who gives a crap periphery (Japan/Ireland) absolutely annihilates the has-been arrogant bigwig (China/UK).

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

But do they have a Pistonflaps?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
these are the real reason to read pistonheads

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=192&t=1567570&i=0

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Boris next Brexit move unveiled
https://twitter.com/trtworld/status/1301929984643211269

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Page 1 of 500 lol

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Pistol_Pete posted:

Page 1 of 500 lol

volume 3 as well

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Josef bugman posted:

Socratic ignorance is a method of argumentation where you start off appealing ignorance and use it to get people to define terms, before then coming in with "well you and I know that" and then getting into the argument. It's a way of defining terms. However it is also used as a debate tactic that is a bit liable for abuse as it means the other person has to do your work for you. It also doesn't help when you are not involved in a dialogue.

Personally a lot of us already know a lot of basic facts about things, but presenting them in a feigned neutral way can come across as silly or even being wilfully obtuse. "Lets think about why landlords, whom we all love forever, might be baaaaad" seems silly because we already know that very few folks, and certainly not someone who we know is leftist, is going to go to the bat for landlords.

Personally I would prefer coming from it without any hint of "but whyyyy" and instead just go "I don't think these things are good for the following reasons". But I also know I am not the best at persuading folks.

Entirely valid and understandable.

Yeah this is definitely it. Thanks bugdude, I can put it into words now!

Josef bugman posted:

See I like to wear my nice clothes sometimes because it makes me sometimes feel a bit better about myself. It's why I shower every day and put on deodorant even though I am probably not going to be seen by more than 3 people over the course of a week and not for longer than 10 minutes at most. (London living with housemates)

I think that having some level of "presentation" is important for reminding ourselves that we are ourselves.

This is good and valid but some people don't feel like that and people who do and don't get value from "prettying themselves up" should respect each other. People are different, innit.

I'm not saying that people ITT are being disrespectful btw but I've seen it quite a lot on twitter etc. when people have complained about not being able to get a haircut or their nails done or whatever and I get it - I'm a total caveman most of the time, don't give a crap about my appearance or anything but for a lot of people it's self-care which has a big mental component as well as the physical. Plus it's just nice to be pampered once in a while - it's a little luxury that can help you relax and feel good about yourself.

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.
I feel like "there is no ethical consumption under capitalism" is a truism and most of us (here) would think that, however, I don't see a problem with compassionate consumption under capitalism/our poo poo planet. Like the individual can't do much but why not strive for whatever you feel would make life better for all of us? Even if my personal choices in the end do nothing but to make myself feel a little better I'd rather live that way than shrug and throw my hands up in the air.

(I fully realise compassionate consumption is a bit of an oxymoron)

Life is poo poo, meh.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i feel like it's sometimes used like "free speech" is used, in that if it's all you can point to as a defence of your action it says more about your argument than you think. freedom of speech becomes freedom from consequence of speech, no ethical consumption becomes all consumption is equally (un)ethical. sorry if it comes across as confrontational but i've always found it kind of lacking.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Lockdown clothing chat, some MP got told he couldn't speak in a debate (via Zoom) unless he put on a jacket earlier. Jumpers are Not Parliamentary Attire.

Which is bullshit imo. If I were an MP I'd be slouching into Parliament in a band hoody.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
are you allowed to cgi a suit on yourself

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Re contrapoints- I just don't like that every video has to be like 90 minutes long. Condense that poo poo I've got things to do.

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.
Going to work every day in yoga pants is one of the best parts of the last 10 months.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

multijoe posted:

SLIGHTLY LEFT WING PARTY
Boy, I'm shocked that the party now led by a literal knight of the realm and member of the Trilateral Commission, a body which exists entirely to boost the interests of global capital, and also cop-loving, minor-benefit-fraud-prosecuting-without-mercy former DPP under the Coalition, is opposed to taxing the rich!

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

weird to think i probably won't vote again. this is what freedom feels like.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

does anyone still have that old brexit gif, of the uk flag abandoning EU, schengen et al to fall into the abyss? I forgot to save it

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

gh0stpinballa posted:

weird to think i probably won't vote again. this is what freedom feels like.

Find small local parties which aren't poo poo and consider voting for them, or spoil your ballot in vulgar and amusing ways. That's real freedom!

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
i reckon starmer throws tantrums and tells everyone to gently caress off and locks himself in a houses of parliament pantry and angrily eats corned beef out of a tin with a teaspoon

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

crispix posted:

i reckon starmer throws tantrums and tells everyone to gently caress off and locks himself in a houses of parliament pantry and angrily eats corned beef out of a tin with a teaspoon

OK but after every few mouthfuls he has to stop for a breather like you or I would while eating a vindaloo

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I think the Labour Right keep talking him into doing stupid poo poo and he keeps going along with it 'cos he's got no power base or strong opinions of his own.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

double nine posted:

does anyone still have that old brexit gif, of the uk flag abandoning EU, schengen et al to fall into the abyss? I forgot to save it

crispix posted:

He tries to, but he only gets a little bit of the can open with the little key thing before the strip of metal snaps so he tries to pry it open with the handle of the spoon but ends up bending the spoon and tearing the can and catching his thumb on a bit of the tear and getting one of those little bleeds that's just annoying but will get all over your clothes and by the time he's located he's sat on the pantry floor with his thumb in his mouth and a bent spoon in his other hand and smears of corned beef down his shirt.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

He tries to, but he only gets a little bit of the can open with the little key thing before the strip of metal snaps so he tries to pry it open with the handle of the spoon but ends up bending the spoon and tearing the can and catching his thumb on a bit of the tear and getting one of those little bleeds that's just annoying but will get all over your clothes and by the time he's located he's sat on the pantry floor with his thumb in his mouth and a bent spoon in his other hand and smears of corned beef down his shirt.

thx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

The Party of the Working Class in abrupt and some might say, unusual, policy turn.

https://twitter.com/Independent/status/1364598580347076611?s=20