Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't get why everyone is trying to make Dottie a thing for WandaVision. Its just one of a bunch of small characters we've seen but who haven't been build up bigger at all. It would be weird if the show suddenly said "Hey, remember this random character we haven't given a meaningful scene or line in like 2 months? They're hugely important."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Klungar posted:

We already know Charlie Cox is showing up, why not Mike Colter too?

I get that reference.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

STAC Goat posted:

I don't get why everyone is trying to make Dottie a thing for WandaVision. Its just one of a bunch of small characters we've seen but who haven't been build up bigger at all. It would be weird if the show suddenly said "Hey, remember this random character we haven't given a meaningful scene or line in like 2 months? They're hugely important."

Maybe rather than important for the ending that will be important after the events of the ending? Just a thought.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Sanguinia posted:

Maybe rather than important for the ending that will be important after the events of the ending? Just a thought.

If we got an episode with Agatha's backstory, that would actually be a pretty reasonable time to introduce other witches living in the area. Assuming it is a coven thing.

A "ohh dottie is also someone important" reveal with her as a real person with powers, that then gets taken over by Wanda's influence, could definitely work.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Some of the theories here are reminding me of the Good Place threads where people kept dreaming up Big Twists that would have been repetitive or invalidated the existing plot.

"This other neighbour is ALSO actually a superhero/villain" is just repeating the same twist. It wouldn't work twice.

"It's actually NOT Agatha" is a twist that would undermine the plot point we just got (we haven't even been shown what Agatha's plan IS and already people want to undo her upcoming storyline!)

I dunno, like, speculation is free, but come on lmao.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Teek posted:

I had wondered if Disney+ was going to double up Star Wars and MCU series releases on the same day of the week, seems like that will be the case, with both Bad Batch and Loki hitting on Fridays. Unless Bad Batch ends up being way shorter than we think, or split into 6-7 episodes release phases, with a few month breaks in between.

Wouldn’t be surprised if What If...? gets put on a different release schedule than the typical Friday drop, in that case.

Incidentally, I also wouldn’t be surprised if Black Widow and Shang-Chi also get pushed back a couple of weeks because cinemas in the UK aren’t reopening until May 17th at the earliest, and the UK is the third-biggest market after domestic and China.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Supercar Gautier posted:

Some of the theories here are reminding me of the Good Place threads where people kept dreaming up Big Twists that would have been repetitive or invalidated the existing plot.

"This other neighbour is ALSO actually a superhero/villain" is just repeating the same twist. It wouldn't work twice.

"It's actually NOT Agatha" is a twist that would undermine the plot point we just got (we haven't even been shown what Agatha's plan IS and already people want to undo her upcoming storyline!)

Yes but Dottie wasn't on the board.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Supercar Gautier posted:

Welcome to TVIV

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Watching too much TV trains you to think that characters played by actors you have heard of will be more important to the plot than those you can't name.

Dottie only seems important for the meta-reason of having recognised Emma Caulfield.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

agatha is literally the leader of a coven of witches in the comics though, suggesting that other witches might exist in this community is not a wild idea

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Umbra Dubium posted:

Watching too much TV trains you to think that characters played by actors you have heard of will be more important to the plot than those you can't name.

Dottie only seems important for the meta-reason of having recognised Emma Caulfield.

That and Agatha saying "Dottie is important."

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

live with fruit posted:

That and Agatha saying "Dottie is important."

She also says that Dottie "runs everything around here," which seems to be obviously not true.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

She also says that Dottie "runs everything around here," which seems to be obviously not true.

There's been too many little glances with Dottie and the mailman, who's also not on the board, for it to be absolutely nothing.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Did anyone ever own up to why they made Speedball edgy and thought it was a good idea? Like it was so over the top edgy but played entirely straight initially and they seemed to think it would get popular.

A masochist kink superpower only works in things like Sleeper.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Loki has been delayed to June 11 (was previously an unspecified date in May):

https://twitter.com/MarvelStudios/status/1364628666911580166

hopefully doesn't portend more delays to come, i.e. Hawkeye slipping out of 2021 altogether as a result of Black Widow

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Supercar Gautier posted:

"It's actually NOT Agatha all along" is being suggested not because "om my god, what a tweeest" but because it just doesn't make a lot of sense to some people for reasons that have been gone over multiple times over the last few weeks. I don't think I've seen a single person here suggest it in a way that comes off as wanting a twist, which "it was Agatha all along" wasn't really in the first place since people had been calling it from before the show even started based on solely on her name.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

tsob posted:

"It's actually NOT Agatha all along" is being suggested not because "om my god, what a tweeest" but because it just doesn't make a lot of sense to some people for reasons that have been gone over multiple times over the last few weeks. I don't think I've seen a single person here suggest it in a way that comes off as wanting a twist, which "it was Agatha all along" wasn't really in the first place since people had been calling it from before the show even started based on solely on her name.

It could also be that it was Agatha like The Avengers was Loki and Guardians was Ronan though they still answered to someone.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Lid posted:

Did anyone ever own up to why they made Speedball edgy and thought it was a good idea? Like it was so over the top edgy but played entirely straight initially and they seemed to think it would get popular.

IIRC, the book where spikey boi Speedball was introduced was also the one where the reporter told Steve Rogers off, saying he didn't understand America because he had never been to a NASCAR race. His response was a silent "oh poo poo I've been owned"

Just lovely writing.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

live with fruit posted:

It could also be that it was Agatha like The Avengers was Loki and Guardians was Ronan though they still answered to someone.

Yeah, that's certainly possible too; especially with her having a tome of obviously ancient and powerful magics in her basement and seemingly having no idea how the hex was started, but that doesn't really settle my issues with the idea of Agatha as the villain personally, since I'm more kind of puzzled by what anything she's even doing is achieving (especially the bit with her in the car two episodes ago) and just finding it weird that they'd make someone who is traditionally heroic or at least ambiguous a villain. The show could certainly clarify the first and just ignore the second, but only time will tell in those cases really.

Boxman posted:

IIRC, the book where spikey boi Speedball was introduced was also the one where the reporter told Steve Rogers off, saying he didn't understand America because he had never been to a NASCAR race. His response was a silent "oh poo poo I've been owned"

Well, to be fair, the idea that Steve has lost touch with the reality of America because of the idealized version he holds in his head could be interesting. Civil War wasn't that, and wasn't particularly good as a whole though. I'm still kind of annoyed that Tony was made the villain for going "maybe we should have some oversight and accountability", while Steve was cast as the hero for going "no, we should police ourselves because if someone else does then they might be corrupt". Which is a loving awful lesson, and has really only become more awful as time has gone on. And then Tony had to start twirling a mustache just so anyone who might sympathize with his points couldn't anymore, because he cloned Thor, locked all his friends up in a different dimension and so on.

What's weird is that Steve's "plant your feet by the river of truth" speech that he gives in that issue is one of the few good parts they lifted from that comic to put in the movies. There are some cool moments in Civil War for all it's faults though, and I still love both the page of Steve escaping SHIELD after he's told about the superhero registration act by jumping off the helicarrier on to a jet and basically making the pilot bring him somewhere, and a later page where someone asks the pilot what happened next and the pilot sheepishly says that Cap made him land and then bought him a burger.

Jagermonster
May 7, 2005

Hey - NIZE HAT!

live with fruit posted:

There's been too many little glances with Dottie and the mailman, who's also not on the board, for it to be absolutely nothing.

I noticed rewatching an old episode - I think 5 - that the mailman was definitely on the board.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

For comic book people: are there a lot of evil witch villains in the comics? Maybe MCU Agatha will be a bad witch because they want a lady with magic powers to be a villain for their universe. After all, both of Dr Stranges bad dudes from his film are dudes.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

tsob posted:

Yeah, that's certainly possible too; especially with her having a tome of obviously ancient and powerful magics in her basement and seemingly having no idea how the hex was started, but that doesn't really settle my issues with the idea of Agatha as the villain personally, since I'm more kind of puzzled by what anything she's even doing is achieving (especially the bit with her in the car two episodes ago) and just finding it weird that they'd make someone who is traditionally heroic or at least ambiguous a villain. The show could certainly clarify the first and just ignore the second, but only time will tell in those cases really.

I stated it up-thread, but I don't have a problem with Agatha being "the villain." The real question for me is "Who is singing the Agatha All Along" song?

I mean, consider the song with altered lyrics:

Who's been messing up everything?
It's been The Jews all along
Who's been pulling every evil string?

And it's revealed that the person singing this song is Hitler.

The point being that just because the song/show has "outed" Agatha as "the villain" does not mean she actually is one.

The things that Agatha has been "messing up" are Wanda's things in terms of keeping her sitcom heaven. Those things need to get messed up.

Killing Sparky was bad, but consider that the result of that was Wanda giving her children a talk about grieving and accepting death - a talk that Wanda herself desperately needed to receive.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Everyone posted:

I stated it up-thread, but I don't have a problem with Agatha being "the villain." The real question for me is "Who is singing the Agatha All Along" song?

Yiiiiiiiiikes

Yikes

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

You know, I think Spiders-Man would have been much more fun character if rather than a edgy/mopey/anti-hero they'd made him cheerfully optimistic and upbeat despite being a horrifying mass of spiders.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Everyone posted:

The point being that just because the song/show has "outed" Agatha as "the villain" does not mean she actually is one.

The things that Agatha has been "messing up" are Wanda's things in terms of keeping her sitcom heaven. Those things need to get messed up.

Killing Sparky was bad, but consider that the result of that was Wanda giving her children a talk about grieving and accepting death - a talk that Wanda herself desperately needed to receive.

Quoting before this gets edited out

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

yikesaroo

e:

No-one:

Really, no-one at all:

Not even a single, solitary person:

Everyone: J E E E E W W S S

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Feb 25, 2021

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
an amazingly bad post

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Everyone posted:

What, in the actual gently caress, is this

Doom2020!
Dec 31, 2020

If you think this has a happy ending then you really haven't been paying attention

Lid posted:

A masochist kink superpower only works in things like Sleeper.
I was a fan of the whole Civil War era and after and also loved the New Warriors TV show blowing up the town but Penance was soooooo bad. Good as a parody now but at the time it was ultra serious and edgy 90% of the time.

Seedge posted:

For comic book people: are there a lot of evil witch villains in the comics? Maybe MCU Agatha will be a bad witch because they want a lady with magic powers to be a villain for their universe. After all, both of Dr Stranges bad dudes from his film are dudes.
Morgan Le Fay has been a villain most of the time. Loki was a lady for a bit and still bad. Enchantress was all over the Avengers and Thor for aeons but I fell behind on Marvel after Dark Reign and Seige so no idea about now.

Lid posted:

in the meantime post your favourite spiky marvel characters

Hey Doom2099! I loved that comic too.

Still... 90's Ghost Rider. Spikes, chains and a skull on fire? gently caress yeah. Plus he rode a bike that was also, appropriately, on fire. It was like child crack. I wish I could include a pic of him fighting the Punisher as ... its 90s as fuq. Haven't read it since as I know it is almost guaranteed to be terrible and ... I enjoy my rosy tinted shades. Bonus: Pre movie 90s Blade.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Doom2020! fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Feb 25, 2021

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

ghostwritingduck posted:

While hugely disruptive, halving the world population would bring it back to 1960’s level. The sudden disappearance of half the world population could shatter society, but they also bounced back from an alien invasion like it was nothing.

Ever nuclear power plant in the world would be sudden understaffed.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I wish I came from a dimension where I didn't read that post.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Hitler totally would sing that.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

What, in the actual gently caress, is this

It's a way over-the-top comparison that I probably shouldn't have made using extreme hyperbole to make the point that just because somebody has been declared to be "the bad guy" doesn't mean that they are one. And that it's a good idea to know who is doing the declaring because maybe they're not so good themselves.

FogHelmut posted:

Hitler totally would sing that.

Maybe in an updated version of The Producers?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Very uncomfortable holocaust metaphors aside...

The idea that the show would reveal a villain right before the penultimate episode that has been there all along and makes sense only as a swerve that she's secretly the hero of the story seems like an iffy theory/idea from a storytelling idea.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

I've been saying for a while there's something about Dottie. I'm still sticking with it just because there is no reason whatsoever to bring that actress in for a blink and you'll miss it shot when Wanda was fighting Monica on the front lawn if she's just a flavor character. Also she didn't have a picture on the board, and her 'hearing things' about Wanda and Vision back when Wanda had a pretty tight hold on things. I'm interested in seeing how wrong I turn out to be lol

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Xachariah posted:

Far left could be 2,4-Dibromophenol which is "found in certain molluscs and crustaceans" so obviously this whole thing is teasing the existence of CRAB PEOPLE in Spiderman 3.
Spider-Man 3 confirmed as a stealth My Name is Earl spinoff.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

TheWorldsaStage posted:

I've been saying for a while there's something about Dottie. I'm still sticking with it just because there is no reason whatsoever to bring that actress in for a blink and you'll miss it shot when Wanda was fighting Monica on the front lawn if she's just a flavor character. Also she didn't have a picture on the board, and her 'hearing things' about Wanda and Vision back when Wanda had a pretty tight hold on things. I'm interested in seeing how wrong I turn out to be lol

i'm with you, she's both great and a legit nerd totem, i'd be surprised if she doesn't have some bigger role to play

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

STAC Goat posted:

Very uncomfortable holocaust metaphors aside...

The idea that the show would reveal a villain right before the penultimate episode that has been there all along and makes sense only as a swerve that she's secretly the hero of the story seems like an iffy theory/idea from a storytelling idea.

My take is that Agatha isn't and doesn't want to be "the hero." She doesn't want to make this about heroes and villains. I think what Agatha wants is to push Wanda to the point that she hits the rock loving bottom of utter misery. To get Wanda to let her little sitcom world go because the price of keeping it is too high.

Agatha isn't trying to take over the universe or steal Wanda's super-magic. I think she's setting up an intervention.

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Or she's pretty much been a red herring this whole time and the showrunners did what they did because they were hoping people would think "Anya the Vengeance Demon from Buffy can't possibly be mostly irrelevant to all this."

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Everyone posted:

What. The. Fuq?
Edit: still not as good as “Springtime for Hitler” but I want Mel Brooks to produce this comedy. Maybe in a remake of “Heil Honey, I’m home”

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Feb 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

I’m crying at that song lmbo