Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

stealie72 posted:

Considering the ease with which they go up making for dramatically reduced labor time, and that you are left with a completely sheathed interior and exterior wall, I'd disagree.

Nope, you can definitely get them with channels to run wiring through, and you cut the window holes with a rad little chainsaw

They're two pieces of plywood/OSB with some foam. They're the same weight as two pieces of plywood/OSB in whatever dimensions you're getting the panels in plus a pound or two for the foam. Cake with three people (two to carry, one to guide), easy enough with two, and doable with one person and some ingenuity.

They are the anthesis of your apparent style, though, since you spend a lot of time fussing with a 2 by (8, 10, 12, however thick your foam is) footer to get it perfect, then just drop the walls together.

It's pretty clear that Ry knows just enough to be a danger to himself and others. His moxie is at least a little bit admirable, but he's clearly intent on making this job as difficult as he possibly can for himself... by design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I still can't get over the disconnect between eschewing power tools because of noise and dust and claiming to want to chisel apart a sheet of plywood instead of using a hand saw, but also getting a excavator to do all of the digging despite the noise and dust it will make compared to a shovel

Just buy the big Dewalt or Milwaukee or Makita power tool combo pack for ~$650 and save yourself weeks of production time, exactly like you're doing with the excavator

E: or are you just saving face because you know you can't efficiently charge the batteries or operate corded tools with your current power situation, and would need to buy a generator like people have been telling you that you should

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Feb 24, 2021

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Even the Amish use power tools. They're just "borrowed" so they technically don't own them

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

D-LINK posted:

Even the Amish use power tools. They're just "borrowed" so they technically don't own them

Hell I used to work with a guy that made Amish-approved desktop computers. Put it in a wood case, pre-install solidworks, set some firewall rules so they can’t access anything other than yahoo mail and state government websites, and don’t give them the admin password and it’s good.

But yeah Ry, get some power tools please.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

corgski posted:

Hell I used to work with a guy that made Amish-approved desktop computers. Put it in a wood case, pre-install solidworks, set some firewall rules so they can’t access anything other than yahoo mail and state government websites, and don’t give them the admin password and it’s good.

But yeah Ry, get some power tools please.

A year of hand-chiseling timbers every day from dawn to dusk will probably focus his mind a bit.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Rytheric posted:

For those who don't know the difference between timber framing and conventional stick framing here is a video:

https://youtu.be/2gWxRVqNI3M

The guy in this video mentions that stick frames came to dominate the construction trade due in part to labor unions. Does anyone know any details about this? Genuinely curious.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Personally I would reassess anything construction-related that raises one, much less many red flags with both D-LINK and Motronic, but :shrug: I'm just a basic bitch weekend warrior doing reno in the suburbs.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

kreeningsons posted:

The guy in this video mentions that stick frames came to dominate the construction trade due in part to labor unions. Does anyone know any details about this? Genuinely curious.

I doubt it was labor unions specifically, but just a coincident to a shift in general attitudes and economics due to the rise of industrialism.

Timber framing was popular when materials were expensive and labor was cheap. Stick framing became popular when materials became cheap and labor became expensive.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

The Door Frame posted:

I still can't get over the disconnect between eschewing power tools because of noise and dust and claiming to want to chisel apart a sheet of plywood instead of using a hand saw, but also getting a excavator to do all of the digging despite the noise and dust it will make compared to a shovel

Just buy the big Dewalt or Milwaukee or Makita power tool combo pack for ~$650 and save yourself weeks of production time, exactly like you're doing with the excavator

E: or are you just saving face because you know you can't efficiently charge the batteries or operate corded tools with your current power situation, and would need to buy a generator like people have been telling you that you should

Look, I ran afoul of this thread so I've come back to make amends. Comments like this aren't constructive at all. I know, because I made them too.

What we need are real solutions for Rys problems, and sitting around shitposting isn't going to make this happen.

I have begun my experiments in how to use a power saw without all the noise. In this first attempt I've tried to duplicate the things Ry will have access to on his job site and removed the battery from the saw so you know I'm not trying to pull a fast one on any of you.

The setup needs a bit of work, but it's seriously almost perfect as it is. Just a few clamps and it should be totally efficient.

https://i.imgur.com/Uuei2iV.gifv

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Motronic posted:

Look, I ran afoul of this thread so I've come back to make amends. Comments like this aren't constructive at all. I know, because I made them too.

What we need are real solutions for Rys problems, and sitting around shitposting isn't going to make this happen.

I have begun my experiments in how to use a power saw without all the noise. In this first attempt I've tried to duplicate the things Ry will have access to on his job site and removed the battery from the saw so you know I'm not trying to pull a fast one on any of you.

The setup needs a bit of work, but it's seriously almost perfect as it is. Just a few clamps and it should be totally efficient.

:lmao:

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Motronic posted:

See if you were excavator certified that baby would be in two pieces.

Sgt Fox
Dec 21, 2004

It's the buzzer I love the most. Makes me feel alive. Makes the V8's dead.

Motronic posted:

I thought at first I had my speakers off, it was so quiet!

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Now imaging if you will that next to the scrap wood shoe matt (damn right im going to have people kick off their shoes before entering my tiny home) a rocking chair or camping chair, and then beside that a small grill or sawn off 55-gallon barrel sitting on top of a wire spool.

The Door Frame posted:

Have you tried cutting plywood with a handsaw over and over? It's horribly ineffective there is an adage that modern materials require modern tools to work with. A handsaw is typically either rip cut to cut with the grain or cross cut to cut across that grain and saw that try to to find a happy medium. The problem is that plywood doesn't have a grain so traditional saws struggle. When restoring a sailing rudder where I had to saw plywood supports I got tired of trying to saw curves and didn't want to plug in a scroll blade jigsaw due to noise, so I found that a large chisel worked better at cutting the curves than a saw as long as I didn't care about the waste side. If they made handheld plywood shears that would be best.

As far as the excavator, if the holes were premarked I would by all means shovel it myself as I don't want to clear to much unnecessarily. I might see if they allow an electric shovel instead of an excavator. But the reason for the excavator or electric shovel is that I need to cover a large area in a short time wherever the county inspector tells me to do it on-site. The county inspector is not going to wait for me to hand dig it. So its a time constraint not because I want to do it.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

It’s a manic episode that will continue until he runs out of savings having spent the entire amount on $500 first dates and prep work for things he doesn’t have the total amount to actually accomplish.

It’s sad because a cottage seems like it would actually be achievable with better planning, prioritization, and compromises with reality like using a generator, cheap materials, and power tools. On the bright side, this goon well story might involve actual, literal digging and pissing in the well.

I’d say something like “make a complete plan and budget, and have a financially uninvolved professional(maybe your boss?) revise it before spending another dime,” but that would just be attempting to lower plans for a jetpack.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Rytheric posted:

If they made handheld plywood shears that would be best.

sharpen up some tree loppers & you're off to the races!

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

4 timber tiny buildings is an extremely interesting concept if you think about it. What you want is to do the hard parts of a job 4 times (ie; erecting the first 3 timbers), and only with hand tools and rope & pulleys

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Motronic posted:

:five::five::five:

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Motronic posted:

That's just working smart

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

look at that beautiful cut

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Now imaging if you will that next to the scrap wood shoe matt (damn right im going to have people kick off their shoes before entering my tiny home) a rocking chair or camping chair, and then beside that a small grill or sawn off 55-gallon barrel sitting on top of a wire spool.

Butt Discussin posted:

I’d say something like “make a complete plan and budget, and have a financially uninvolved professional(maybe your boss?) revise it before spending another dime,” but that would just be attempting to lower plans for a jetpack.

I have rough plans and a pre-designed building. Right now I'm getting the parameters of the land to see what will fit on it. I have to design what is allowable which has already been reduced from my soil evaluation from two tiny MurderHaus to one tiny and a really tiny MurderHaus. I already have to move a well to make things fit. Once that's done I can send the plans to timber framing engineer who will bring the plans up to code and supply the timbers.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Rytheric posted:

Have you tried cutting plywood with a handsaw over and over? It's horribly ineffective there is an adage that modern materials require modern tools to work with. A handsaw is typically either rip cut to cut with the grain or cross cut to cut across that grain and saw that try to to find a happy medium. The problem is that plywood doesn't have a grain so traditional saws struggle. When restoring a sailing rudder where I had to saw plywood supports I got tired of trying to saw curves and didn't want to plug in a scroll blade jigsaw due to noise, so I found that a large chisel worked better at cutting the curves than a saw as long as I didn't care about the waste side. If they made handheld plywood shears that would be best.

As far as the excavator, if the holes were premarked I would by all means shovel it myself as I don't want to clear to much unnecessarily. I might see if they allow an electric shovel instead of an excavator. But the reason for the excavator or electric shovel is that I need to cover a large area in a short time wherever the county inspector tells me to do it on-site. The county inspector is not going to wait for me to hand dig it. So its a time constraint not because I want to do it.

Maybe someone on YouTube should introduce you to a coping saw, which cuts through engineered wood products like butter and is still used by carpenters because it makes detailed shapes with ease in everything from MDF to oak

I maintain that you're avoiding the obvious lack of reliable, high amp electricity available to you and the clear solution that has been presented to you

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Rytheric posted:

I have rough plans and a pre-designed building. Right now I'm getting the parameters of the land to see what will fit on it. I have to design what is allowable which has already been reduced from my soil evaluation from two tiny MurderHaus to one tiny and a really tiny MurderHaus. I already have to move a well to make things fit. Once that's done I can send the plans to timber framing engineer who will bring the plans up to code and supply the timbers.

I’m looking forward to seeing pictures from the bottom of the well! Moving the well seems like it will be interesting.

I don’t actually doubt your ability to put up a construction of some sort, I just hope you don’t run out of money before we’re able to see some of these ideas realized. Everything is going to cost way more than you think, so get quotes in hand as soon as possible. Good luck!

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

D-LINK posted:

4 timber tiny buildings is an extremely interesting concept if you think about it. What you want is to do the hard parts of a job 4 times (ie; erecting the first 3 timbers), and only with hand tools and rope & pulleys

Personally, a small 4-timber cottage is extremely appealing in concept.

Ry is going about it in pretty much every wrong way possible.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

The biggest objection I've seen from Ry regarding power tools (or more specifically power saws) is the noise and dust.

I'm just going to throw out there that these exist and everyone should be wearing them when using power tools:

Also, +1 on using a power driver for screws, they make life so much easier:

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Motronic posted:

lmfao.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

nadmonk posted:

The biggest objection I've seen from Ry regarding power tools (or more specifically power saws) is the noise and dust.

I'm just going to throw out there that these exist and everyone should be wearing them when using power tools:

I'm not going to bat for the OP but while I agree that these work and are must-have, the act of having to suit up in ear pro, respirator, goggles, deal with fogging, get dust everywhere, still deal with a lot of noise, sometimes it's preferable and less stressful to take a bit longer with quieter and less messy hand tools.

I still cut plywood with a track saw though.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

The Door Frame posted:

Maybe someone on YouTube should introduce you to a coping saw, which cuts through engineered wood products like butter and is still used by carpenters because it makes detailed shapes with ease in everything from MDF to oak

I maintain that you're avoiding the obvious lack of reliable, high amp electricity available to you and the clear solution that has been presented to you

A coping saw would not work for what I was doing unless the kerf was wider than the support. Maybe if I used a hand chain saw anchored to my foot.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Rytheric posted:

Maybe if I used a hand chain saw anchored to my foot.

:hmmyes:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Rytheric posted:

A coping saw would not work for what I was doing unless the kerf was wider than the support. Maybe if I used a hand chain saw anchored to my foot.

The Door Frame posted:

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Butt Discussin posted:

I’m looking forward to seeing pictures from the bottom of the well! Moving the well seems like it will be interesting.

I don’t actually doubt your ability to put up a construction of some sort, I just hope you don’t run out of money before we’re able to see some of these ideas realized. Everything is going to cost way more than you think, so get quotes in hand as soon as possible. Good luck!

Lol moving meaning abandoning one well and drilling a new well.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Rytheric posted:

Don't worry Ry, I'm on this one too. I need another hour or so to get this thing sharp but I'm sure it's gonna work. The chainsaw will be way too noisy and dusty.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Motronic posted:

Don't worry Ry, I'm on this one too. I need another hour or so to get this thing sharp but I'm sure it's gonna work. The chainsaw will be way too noisy and dusty.

Lol. Love the excavator too. It would be 5 years before I bought my own excavator if I ever decided to use one. It'd likely buy a pull behind drill rig before that though.

oggb
Feb 19, 2021
I propose another option for cutting plywood/timbers: an oxy-acetylene torch.

Bonus: use it as a heat source while you're sleeping in the GroverTruk or quickly light the firepit/smokescreen device if your murphy porch is deployed.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Just get some ear buds that double as ear plugs and play crickets-wind.mp3 at full blast while you rock power tools.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Motronic posted:

:haibrower:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Rytheric posted:

Lol. Love the excavator too. It would be 5 years before I bought my own excavator if I ever decided to use one. It'd likely buy a pull behind drill rig before that though.

Thanks.

Unfortunately that idea didn't work out. But I'm in the middle of another one. Just need to spend some more time sharpening, but I feel good about it this time.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

The Door Frame posted:

I can charge the battery of battery powered power tools. I do have a weak sauce battery powered hand drill because the manual hand drill disintegrated before my eyes while I was drilling bolt holes for the rudder through plywood. I can not however power a corded circular saw. My current power system is 1380 watt/hr and my inverter is 1250 watt/hr. A circular saw is like 1400 watt/hr and would draw like 120 amps from my 12 volt system prior to transforming without considering loss. No thanks.

I need to get a brace and bit auger at some point.

For reference here is the hand drill that can't survive plywood.

To its credit, when I buy tools, I buy the cheapest available. If it works, it works if it doesn't I assess the failure and judge the quality needed for the replacement.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Rytheric posted:

I can not however power a corded circular saw. My current power system is 1380 watt/hr and my inverter is 1250 watt/hr. A circular saw is like 1400 watt/hr and would draw like 120 amps from my 12 volt system prior to transforming without considering loss. No thanks.

This works great with a battery in it, a battery that you could absolutely charge on your setup. Unfortunately it did NOT work the way I tried it here.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Motronic posted:

Thanks.

Unfortunately that idea didn't work out. But I'm in the middle of another one. Just need to spend some more time sharpening, but I feel good about it this time.

Lol Groverpillar. Is that a garden hoe your trying to use as a chisel? Also i'm distracted by the surficial staining well everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

oggb posted:

I propose another option for cutting plywood/timbers: an oxy-acetylene torch.

Bonus: use it as a heat source while you're sleeping in the GroverTruk or quickly light the firepit/smokescreen device if your murphy porch is deployed.

So one way that was used to create penetrations or weaknesses in Timbers for later chipping was charcoal. So the oxy-acetylene torch might work. But I use enough dinosaurs in my life.