Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

stellers bae posted:

yeah... except the 'other tribe' (the cops, in this example) literally let them in.

You think they went to the capitol because they have grievances with the cops? The cops weren't the target of their ire, the political class was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1364643849231097862?s=19

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

when can we stop hearing about Neera jfc

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

actionjackson posted:

As soon as Jimmy Dore takes a position on her confirmation

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

$7.26/hr here we come

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

as opposed to what

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Raccooon posted:

Ah yes the 10s of voter for which decide their vote based on the existence of the DHS. Incredible misstep by AOC.

oh i'm sure there are plenty of republicans who would refuse to vote for her if she came out hard on abolishing the DHS lol

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

loquacius posted:

as opposed to what

As opposed to them finally taking the President's hints about quietly dropping the whole thing and blaming it on Neera Tanden or someone.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

tactlessbastard posted:

Keep your goddamned dogs off the government's carpet

I'd prefer if they let the dogs in but kept the rapists out.

stellers bae
Feb 10, 2021

by Hand Knit

Falstaff posted:

You think they went to the capitol because they have grievances with the cops? The cops weren't the target of their ire, the political class was.

and what exactly did they do to 'the political class'? not get within a mile of them and then get shot in the neck

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

As soon as Jimmy Dore takes a position on her confirmation

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
i think neera's gonna get through and its going to be touted as a major victory

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

RaySmuckles posted:

i think neera's gonna get through and its going to be touted as a major victory

I'm torn between this and her being a sacrificial lamb on the altar of SEE IF WE EVER TRY TO DO SOMETHING NICE FOR YOU PROGRESSIVES EVER AGAIN.

(Yes, I know. But that will be the argument if she falls.)

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
Why are the Democrats fighting so much to give Neera Tanden some White House office head position? All I can tell is that she was senior staff for Hillary Clinton. And that's it. She's been loyal to the Clinton's for over a decade so this is her reward.

It's awesome that Biden's administration is fighting harder for Neera Tanden than $15 minimum wage.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I hope "what the process should be" refers to Sinema claiming it shouldn't be in the COVID-19 bill at all, and not that there are also people too cowardly to say to anyone but Senate leaders that they're against indexing to median wage, which is slightly better than indexing to inflation

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Why are the Democrats fighting so much to give Neera Tanden some White House office head position? All I can tell is that she was senior staff for Hillary Clinton. And that's it. She's been loyal to the Clinton's for over a decade so this is her reward.

It's awesome that Biden's administration is fighting harder for Neera Tanden than $15 minimum wage.

Neera Tanden is a real person to them, while minimum wage workers are more of an abstract concept.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

stellers bae posted:

and what exactly did they do to 'the political class'? not get within a mile of them and then get shot in the neck

Did you miss the part about the capitol riots being described as worse than 9/11 and on par with Pearl Harbor? I even cited that in my post.

According to the political class, these channers and chuds are powerful, every bit as dangerous as Al Qaida and Imperial Japan. Utterly absurd, I know, but that's the narrative that their enemies have handed them on a silver platter. For fascists, that's a PR victory, even if one (1) of their number was shot by a cop. It makes them seem strong.

This is why punching fascists and making them look weak is so effective, but allowing them moments to appear powerful is dangerous. Yes, they were also clowns, jerking off in the bathroom and dressing like face-painted barbarians. Fascists have always been able to handle being clowns - they even use it to their advantage - but it's the feeling of being powerful that they crave, and the appearance of weakness that they fear. And whether or not you can see it, the fact that the cops are on their side to the point that they just stepped aside and let them have their way makes them feel more powerful, not less.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I think there's a lot of internal factionalism in the Dem party that only occasionally spills out in public. Basically (all conjecture, obv) Neera got a cabinet position in exchange for something from the Clinton faction of the party which, for whatever reason, the Obama-Biden faction still needs the support of.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Biden's administration is fighting harder for Neera Tanden than $15 minimum wage.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

docbeard posted:

I think there's a lot of internal factionalism in the Dem party that only occasionally spills out in public. Basically (all conjecture, obv) Neera got a cabinet position in exchange for something from the Clinton faction of the party which, for whatever reason, the Obama-Biden faction still needs the support of.

What about the Sanders-Manchin faction?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

gandlethorpe posted:

some men just want to watch the world burn. Bernie Bros and the Manchinmen are just the newest flavor of what we used to call the good old boy network

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

loquacius posted:

https://twitter.com/Mediaite/status/1364556630826881030

it really is true

why have they staked so much of their self-worth on neera tanden's career goals, why do they care

gene sperling will probably do all the same poo poo anyway

It's exactly like Kavanaugh for the Republicans. Like why couldn't they just find some other Federalist Society ghoul who isn't a rapist? Because it would mean admitting defeat to their lessers. Same thing going on here, although it's less likely that Tanden is a rapist.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

paul_soccer12 posted:

$7.26/hr here we come

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

some men just want to watch the world burn. Bernie Bros and the Manchinmen are just the newest flavor of what we used to call the good old boy network

Bernie bros and their insidious partners in crime the self-described ubermanchin

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

gandlethorpe posted:

predator-handshake.gif

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

loquacius posted:

https://twitter.com/Mediaite/status/1364556630826881030

it really is true

why have they staked so much of their self-worth on neera tanden's career goals, why do they care

gene sperling will probably do all the same poo poo anyway

This is why they're the "i want to speak to your manager" people. They want what they want and are going to get what they want. It doesn't matter if its minor, someone telling them 'no' is an outrage. They wouldn't have given a poo poo about neera getting the nomination or not, but once she was nominated and it was HERS and then it was denied that was just not allowed.

When you want something you fight for it, politics for them is performative and symbolic so the only thing they want are symbolic things, so they'll fight like hell for them.

They would be a powerful force for good if they gave a poo poo about $15 wage, kids in cages, or anything that actually effected other people.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
what's the cost to eradicate poverty in the US? twelve dollars?

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

loquacius posted:

that said LOL at the idea that joe manchin will be like "yeah rachel maddow makes some really good points, I'm just gonna change my mind and publicly go back on a thing that got me a whole bunch of media attention for saying"

the sooner they realize that impassioned pleas to their opponents' humanity to pretty please just be nice and do the thing I want why won't you do the thing I want :cry: don't loving work, the sooner they'll... I dunno, they'll never realize it anyway

They won't realize it cause they're in on it

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:

actionjackson posted:

She's the white house's top priority atm. Their most important issue. She MUST be seated

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

Baller Ina posted:

She's the white house's top priority atm. Their most important issue. She MUST be seated

ITS. HER. TURN.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Weltlich posted:

Sorry they're busy with the Neera thing and can't concentrate on anything else

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Weltlich posted:

correction: the dogs are also rapists, we apologize

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
its more about manchin than neera at this point, they'd be crazy to just give the tie breaking vote guy a win this early it would give him more power than biden

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

gandlethorpe posted:

Manchinamen

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Manchinian candidate

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

FULLY.

MEANS.

TESTED!

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Interior Secretary nominee Deb Haaland said on Wednesday that President Biden’s pause on new oil and gas leasing is a temporary measure and won't be a "permanent thing."

“This pause...it’s just that, it’s a pause, it’s not going to be a permanent thing where we’re saying we’re restricting all these lands from something,” Haaland said in response to a question on the moratorium from Sen. Mike Lee (R-Utah).

The White House last month put a temporary pause without a set end date on granting new leases for publicly owned lands and waters for oil and gas drilling.

The Interior Department has continued to issue new permits on public lands that are already leased, though it instituted a temporary elevated review process, and it has also not stopped current drilling activity.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Who knew Neera Tanden would be able to find yet another way to embarrass Democrats

my phone keeps wanting to correct her name to Beers Tandem which probably says a lot about my habits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

nee rat and en

there's something here but I'm creatively and intellectually bankrupt