Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Nuebot posted:

I find that basically any one of those looter style games runs into that problem because yeah, there is cool loot. But it's never going to be especially cool because it can't ever be so cool that you'd never want to get rid of it, because the instant they do that the entire system breaks. Which, funny enough, was apparently the big issue with Destiny 2. People were having too much fun with the cool guns they'd grown attached to over the years, so bungie decided their only course of action left as to forcibly take them away.

I think there's a balance that can be struck and Borderlands just does a lousy job. Like in Grim Dawn for instance it's common to find loot that's a big power boost when it drops and stays useful for 10-20 levels, which is a big chunk of game time. Borderlands is just super stingy with the cool drops for some reason, and the level scaling means an awesome, powerful gun is going to be outclassed by some run of the mill piece that's 4 levels higher.

The problem with Destiny is it's a game you're supposed to play for years on end. The whole thing where a new expansion is released and suddenly all of your old stuff is worthless is pretty standard MMO fare (not that that means it's good (don't play MMOs)).

The Moon Monster has a new favorite as of 17:45 on Feb 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

Zinkraptor posted:

It’s like Prince of Persia, when telling stories sometimes people just accidentally throw in a part where they’re horrifically killed by monsters or traps and then have to correct themselves.

I always thought it was hilarious to be telling a story where you fall down a sinkhole or whatever then you just like remember "oh wait I'm still alive"

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The Moon Monster posted:

I think there's a balance that can be struck and Borderlands just does a lousy job. Like in Grim Dawn for instance it's common to find loot that's a big power boost when it drops and stays useful for 10-20 levels, which is a big chunk of game time. Borderlands is just super stingy with the cool drops for some reason, and the level scaling means an awesome, powerful gun is going to be outclassed by some run of the mill piece that's 4 levels higher.

The problem with Destiny is it's a game you're supposed to play for years on end. The whole thing where a new expansion is released and suddenly all of your old stuff is worthless is pretty standard MMO fare (not that that means it's good (don't play MMOs)).

'oh hey finally something that isn't just a bullet gun, this rocket launcher shoots three at once in a spiral and... oh... it barely does any damage'

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
This is why I like Gunfire Reborn, the runs are short enough that if you find a really good gun early you can use it for the hour long run and then lose it once you win or lose.

Of course, what usually happens to me is I don’t find any good guns and enter the last area way under-powered.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Flashbacks where you can die should just end with a TIME PARADOX screen a la MGS3.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Morpheus posted:

Flashbacks where you can die should just end with a TIME PARADOX screen a la MGS3.

That'd bring those sloggy non-Spider-Man segments up to bearable at least.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I'm just reminded how much I loving hate when MJ says stuff like 'why won't you let me risk my life'

Because, MJ, you had to sneak by twenty guys with assault rifles to come into this base and if you died it would gently caress me, Spider-Man, up immensely. I, Spider-Man, thwipped down from above in about forty seconds and could've grabbed it without any issue.

Like, poo poo MJ, do you want to take on Rhino as well? Want to try that? Oh what's that you'd die? Funny, that.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Crowetron posted:

Still think there should be something useful for the player in these stupid vaults, though.

Admittedly I don't know how 3 handles things, but the whole underlying joke in the first game is that everyone is a greedy idiot who thinks the Vault must contain something really cool and great and gold-plated when in actuality it's a prison built to contain a giant alien monster that would gently caress up all the poo poo if it was let loose. Then in 2 the villain knows this is the end result and is intentionally going to let yet another giant alien monster out. The vaults have never been meant to shower you with powerful loot. (Admittedly the giant monsters themselves might drop something cool, but that's not really a narrative element.)

Also for everyone chiming in about how Borderlands loot sucks the most common thing I've heard about 3 is that they actually finally fixed that.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Yeah I'd be pretty pissed if my friend/girlfriend kept running head long into lovely situations while I'm here, the guy with super powers.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Also I'm pretty sure the boulders do go away if you kill the giant responsible for them, but 1) he respawns like most other enemies (and unlike the other giants in Sens) and 2) by the time you can get to him you're out on the roof and have probably already fought your way through most of the bullshit involving the boulders anyway. And yeah, the mechanism just moves around on its own based on invisible triggers. Nothing interacts with it.

The simple truth is that Dark Souls 1 has a bunch of janky bullshit in it and it's not at all 100% fair. Though honestly half the stuff mentioned in the OP is actually pretty fair from what I remember. :ssh:

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 19:38 on Feb 24, 2021

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I recently played through the game Katana Zero and up until the very end I was enjoying it. The game is a sidescroller where you can slow down time to kill enemies. Whenever you die the level rewinds and it isn't just a visual thing but an actual part of the game's story that your character can't actually die, they just reset.

The problem I had is that the game doesn't actually have an ending it just kind of unceremoniously stops without paying off any of the story threads. You learn the main character's backstory and why he has these time abilities but there's no conclusion. I guess that's a sign of a strong story if you're annoyed its over but it is still annoying.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

muscles like this! posted:

I guess that's a sign of a strong story if you're annoyed its over but it is still annoying.

Not necessarily. If you're content with the story but want more, that's a strong story. If you're annoyed because it just arbitrarily stops, that's not a strong story.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Nuebot posted:

I find that basically any one of those looter style games runs into that problem because yeah, there is cool loot. But it's never going to be especially cool because it can't ever be so cool that you'd never want to get rid of it, because the instant they do that the entire system breaks. Which, funny enough, was apparently the big issue with Destiny 2. People were having too much fun with the cool guns they'd grown attached to over the years, so bungie decided their only course of action left as to forcibly take them away.

I became a real fan of destiny 2 in the shadowkeep year (late 2019 to late 2020), sunk hundreds of hours into it, had a lot of fun with all the content in the game and doing raids with chill people. The game was something I got pretty unexpectedly attached to.

sunsetting singlehandedly and entirely killed the game for me. it just ruined a bunch of my favorite content for no reason and removed motivation to engage with the game anymore while failing to accomplish any of the system’s stated goals. it was a purely cynical mechanism for bungie to wring more time out of the player without having to actually create new content, with no benefits to the player for its existence.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Yakuza: Like a Dragon

The story is 15 chapters long, and pretty much nothing is a threat until chapter 12 due to a bump in enemy level and notability.

The middle act gets kind of muddled because several characters hold the idiot-ball to draw out the plot. There's a running tally of characters who issue death threats to you at the first meeting, whom you'll be buddy-buddy with an hour later.

You can only change your job in one place, the unemployment agency. It can be somewhat difficult switching because job-levels grant stats just like regular levels, so you'll go from a Level 20 Hero to a Level 1 Enforcer and be a poo poo-ton weaker.

You don't get a full party until Chapter 11.

Some materials are inordinately hard to find, like Cockroaches. If you want these items you're going to have to pick up a shitton of cans while hitting homeless people with your bike. For comparison you will also find Insects made of gold and silver just lying on the ground.

The bonus-dungeon is a repeat of the final dungeon and it demands you grind by killing Metal Slime enemies (hard-to-kill but drops a ton of EXP) over and over again to even attempt the thing. No thanks.

The Yokohama and Kamurocho dungeons are incredibly bare-bones. They share the same tileset and are just a couple of rooms with pre-existing enemies. For comparison the Sotenbori Battle Tower has frequent checkpoints, optional challenges, and cool rewards.

There is a battle-theme for each of the three cities: Yokohama, Kamurocho, and Sotenbori. However 95% of the game takes place in Yokohama, while the other two cities only function as plot-significant locales with no real side-content. Thus you barely hear the best battle-theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pB3geCwqC0

Still better than any Dragon Quest game.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 23:18 on Feb 24, 2021

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Borderlands 3 likes to drop orange rated weapons frequently so you're always getting a cool powerful new gun... except it means there's little reason purples and blues, which were upgraded to actually be pretty fun this time around.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I got more legendaries by the time I hit level 15 in BL3 than I did in a regular and NG+ Runthrough of BL2. And I even tweaked the drop rates for that NG+ part.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

muscles like this! posted:

I recently played through the game Katana Zero and up until the very end I was enjoying it. The game is a sidescroller where you can slow down time to kill enemies. Whenever you die the level rewinds and it isn't just a visual thing but an actual part of the game's story that your character can't actually die, they just reset.

The problem I had is that the game doesn't actually have an ending it just kind of unceremoniously stops without paying off any of the story threads. You learn the main character's backstory and why he has these time abilities but there's no conclusion. I guess that's a sign of a strong story if you're annoyed its over but it is still annoying.

I think they're introducing DLC somewhere down the line? I had the same complaint, but poo poo I still enjoyed it a bunch until that point.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

I became a real fan of destiny 2 in the shadowkeep year (late 2019 to late 2020), sunk hundreds of hours into it, had a lot of fun with all the content in the game and doing raids with chill people. The game was something I got pretty unexpectedly attached to.

sunsetting singlehandedly and entirely killed the game for me. it just ruined a bunch of my favorite content for no reason and removed motivation to engage with the game anymore while failing to accomplish any of the system’s stated goals. it was a purely cynical mechanism for bungie to wring more time out of the player without having to actually create new content, with no benefits to the player for its existence.

Personally, Destiny 2 was so big and expansive I never would have ever gotten started if they hadn't removed a bunch of stuff or streamlined it or the like, and I just got it a month ago and it's been one of my favorite games. Plus, I believe they were coming up on the game simply having hit a point where it was way too goddamn big and it was causing issues in programming and making new stuff

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Morpheus posted:

I'm just reminded how much I loving hate when MJ says stuff like 'why won't you let me risk my life'

Because, MJ, you had to sneak by twenty guys with assault rifles to come into this base and if you died it would gently caress me, Spider-Man, up immensely. I, Spider-Man, thwipped down from above in about forty seconds and could've grabbed it without any issue.

Like, poo poo MJ, do you want to take on Rhino as well? Want to try that? Oh what's that you'd die? Funny, that.

Yeah, that really bugged me to, she acts like Peter's being unreasonable by not wanting her to sneak through these places filled with armed guards that, presumably, can and will shoot her on sight. It's especially bad because she never does anything to try and make her journeys easier herself; the decoy mines were given to her by Peter, and the taser she gets in the last mission was originally a Sable guard's.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Perestroika posted:

Destiny 2 has the extra problem of the guns just being plain boring. We're centuries into the future with space wizards, ancient gods, half a dozen kinds of aliens, and you're telling me humanity is still stupid old bang bang firearms? If you're lucky you maybe get a gun that shoots a blue bullets. There's a small handful of extra-rare unique guns that are slightly more inventive, but even many of those tend to be pretty generic, and you can only use one of them at a time anyway.

I'll never forget the first time I got an SMG in Destiny 2, real excited because I love me some new guns. And it sounded like a salt shaker being shaken really, really, angrily.

Nea posted:

Personally, Destiny 2 was so big and expansive I never would have ever gotten started if they hadn't removed a bunch of stuff or streamlined it or the like, and I just got it a month ago and it's been one of my favorite games. Plus, I believe they were coming up on the game simply having hit a point where it was way too goddamn big and it was causing issues in programming and making new stuff

They didn't actually remove anything though, is kind of the thing. They just disabled it all. Which is a pedantic argument, but it's an important one because a lot of the poo poo they disabled was stuff that cost $20-$40 per purchase and now it's just kind of gone, and a lot of the guns they sunset were just kind of immediately re-released with no difference besides the power cap change. On top of that; the game's story is just kind of gone now, too. Like, the only reason Destiny 2 seemed big and expansive was because Bungie did the absolute worst possible thing when they made it free to play and they didn't include any kind of structure; they just dumped new players into the end-game hub and told them to go at it. Anyone would be confused and overwhelmed if you threw them into Ironforge in WoW and gave them no direction at all.

Also the game being "too big" was, more likely than not, just another excuse. Bungie always has one for why they can't make new stuff, or fix old stuff. Before "it's too big" it was "old consoles" then it was "our new engine sucks!" which is weird because before that it was "our old engine sucks!" and between them was "old consoles!" again. Bungie has this like, perpetual cycle of doing literally the same things over and over again (sunsetting, for example, isn't even new. It's the same stuff they did with year one and two items in the first game that no one liked) and getting feedback, doing as little to fix it as they can while saying they can't possibly fix it because they're hamstrung by every limitation in the world, and then doing more things that make the overall game experience worse. There are so many NPCs and vestigal systems or locations that do nothing at all, and haven't for years. But rather than repurposing any of them, they locked off huge swathes of content that were part of paid releases so they can introduce more new NPCs and half made systems that will go nowhere because the seasonal model doesn't add anything to the game long-term anymore.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Thoughtless posted:

People say that Dark Souls the first is entirely fair and free of bullshit. Largely I'd agree but also, but having been playing it for the first time, Sen's Fortress is one of the most bullshit levels I've seen in any video game.

I'm fully with you on this. When I was playing the game, I kept coming across stuff saying that Blighttown was the area that most people complained about. I didn't think Blighttown felt any more tedious or annoying than other parts of the the game, but Sen's Fortress was bad and I was surprised that I never saw anyone complaining about that. Way too much unfun platforming stuff before reaching that first checkpoint.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Blight town was where I stopped playing. The game was meh for me and then having to deal with that ugly as poo poo level with annoying enemies at 10 FPS was more than enough to get me to drop it.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So I've been replaying Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth because I felt like doing a simple rear end grindy JRPG and I'm really starting to feel my original complaints about this game's systems. For example, there's one skill that lets you double your next attack's damage. Except it can only be cast on the monster that has the skill, which means you're just kind of innately taking two turns to do double damage :shepface: and the game is full of small things like that, where they had pretty good ideas that just fall flat of being actually useful because of restrictions that render them kind of useless.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

two things are being conflated here which happened at the same time, there's sunsetting and there's all the poo poo bungie deleted from the destiny 2 which marketing calls the "destiny content vault," a term that does a lot of heavy lifting for them

with bungie's notoriously bad tools I find the story that the game was too big for them to manage pretty believable. it doesn't make the end result any better for the player and I certainly wouldn't blame anyone for quitting over it, but the idea that they needed to reduce the size of the game to work on their tools and make the amount of things they have to maintain more manageable while they do so is understandable. I do find it pretty absurd that the content they deleted includes like 75% of the free content in the game, I'm not even sure what there is to do as an F2P player anymore after seeing how much of it they deleted. I also couldn't argue with any jaded players who say it's just a cynical way for bungie to re-introduce old content and frame it as a new addition to the game without having to do any work. but if we choose to give bungie the benefit of the doubt, I get it.

sunsetting is very different. there is no plausible way it is necessary. it does not accomplish its stated goals by actually reducing the amount of work they have to spend balancing weapons because pvp modes with no power level advantages exist (nothing illustrated this better than the sunsetting patch coming with a bunch of nerfs to a gun that was already being sunsetted and would not need to be nerfed if sunsetting actually did its job). as a balancing mechanism, it's too slow to improve the state of the game due to a year-long turnaround time. it makes getting a good roll far less exciting because you know it's guaranteed to be temporary. it makes you waste a bunch of time staring at menus either clearing out sunsetted gear or evaluating whether you want to keep something around that's sunsetted just for fun in older content. it makes getting new loot feel more and more pointless the closer to its sunset date you acquire it (right before sunsetting was implemented, the unique seasonal mechanic for getting new loot was able to give you guns that would become useless in 3 days).

most importantly sunsetting simply meant most of my favorite guns were arbitrarily dumpstered in any new content because those guns committed the crime of being added to the game slightly more than a year ago. they weren't even my favorite because they were powerful and needed to be nerfed or were really recommended by other players, they just looked cool and made satisfying sounds. but nope, more than 1 year old so they gotta go

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

jjack229 posted:

I'm fully with you on this. When I was playing the game, I kept coming across stuff saying that Blighttown was the area that most people complained about. I didn't think Blighttown felt any more tedious or annoying than other parts of the the game, but Sen's Fortress was bad and I was surprised that I never saw anyone complaining about that. Way too much unfun platforming stuff before reaching that first checkpoint.

A lot of people really love Sen's Fortress. It's legit the favorite area of a bunch of people. I don't understand it personally. But I distinctly remember the first time I went there I was expecting an amazing area because of how many people talked it up.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The fortress is where I deleted my character and uninstalled. Came back a few months later and it was much easier.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

A whole fortress named after Sen and yet there’s no lore on the dude wow talk about dropping the ball (down a big hole so it can kill the player) Miyazaki

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Phigs posted:

A lot of people really love Sen's Fortress. It's legit the favorite area of a bunch of people. I don't understand it personally. But I distinctly remember the first time I went there I was expecting an amazing area because of how many people talked it up.

Sen's Fortress ends up being a favorite just because it's so different from the rest of the game, in a way that (again, like the archer gauntlet in Anor Londo) largely works for its intentions. So if you came in to Dark Souls expecting something like a trap fortress that you have to learn slowly so that you can then blitz through like it's a Super Meat Boy level, it's exactly that.

But also, never listen to any opinions about Dark Souls. They are much more subjective than people tend to think.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Phigs posted:

I think a lot of people come to it right after Blighttown, which is like being the act after the weird kid who poo poo himself on stage in the school talent show.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Discussion About Sunsetting

Yeah, I get that. I think that's a lot more goofy, and that there were probably better ways to encourage people to try out new and different guns.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I like Blighttown (aside from the framerate issues and the toxic dudes) :shrug:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I like it as well, I can see why some detest it, but the level pits the player not against the enemies, but against the level itself and I love it for that, translating classic rpg traps and mazes into a 3D space is no easy task.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Phigs posted:

it's because once you learn the trap patterns it becomes an invasion playhouse. lots of people love it for PvP specifically. there are so many ways to gently caress with people invader and invadee alike with all the traps it's impressive.

like this kind of poo poo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxtjTDzovFc

these guys are just having a lot of gleeful fun figuring out new ways to ambush and trap people. more power to them! i am happy video games bring them such joy

(but seriously, blasting people while in the elevators is a stroke of genius)

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

something is probably wrong with my brain because I genuinely enjoyed blighttown the first time I played through the game (other than the spider boss which nearly made me give up), and that was on the ps3 where it ran at 15 FPS.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I like Blighttown (aside from the framerate issues and the toxic dudes) :shrug:

Yeah players who bleat "git gud" when someone has a legitimate criticism are no fun and ruin the experience for everyone.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

something is probably wrong with my brain because I genuinely enjoyed blighttown the first time I played through the game (other than the spider boss which nearly made me give up), and that was on the ps3 where it ran at 15 FPS.

I like the non swamp parts of Blighttown. It's really just getting slowed down and poisoned that pissed me off the vertical climb up and down is fun.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
player: Do you say "git gud" at us, sir?
invader1: I do say "git gud", sir.
player: Do you say "git gud at us, sir?
invader1: [aside to phantom] Is the law of Velka of our side, if I say "ay"?
invader2: No
invader1: No, sir, I do not say "git gud" at you, sir, but I say "git gud", sir.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The introduction to Blitzball in FFX is super unfair and puts you against a match with all the advantages. Always hated that intoduction to that minigame.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

You basically have to savescum the Jecht Shot trial to have any chance of winning the blitzball tournament in Luca. I know some nerd is currently spinning up some 10,000 word defense of how it's totally possible to win without the Jecht Shot because I did it myself at the age of 13 after playing FFX for 500 hours, but it's true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

rodbeard posted:

I like the non swamp parts of Blighttown. It's really just getting slowed down and poisoned that pissed me off the vertical climb up and down is fun.

10000% the same, with the added caveat that the poison is just a little too harsh as well - if you screw up too badly you'll likely end up just standing in a safe spot for a couple of minutes to let it burn off, which sucks. There's a cool idea there, for sure, but it just didn't work for me as a whole. If you imagine the kind of player who doesn't like the kind of maze-y 3D stuff on top of that, it's obvious why it has the reputation it does.

I didn't have any problem with Farron's Keep in DS3, though, so it's not like I hate the poison swamp idea completely. It's just annoying in the DS1 engine and it's an extra layer of complexity on top of an already potentially frustrating area.