Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Rytheric posted:

I can charge the battery of battery powered power tools. I do have a weak sauce battery powered hand drill because the manual hand drill disintegrated before my eyes while I was drilling bolt holes for the rudder through plywood. I can not however power a corded circular saw. My current power system is 1380 watt/hr and my inverter is 1250 watt/hr. A circular saw is like 1400 watt/hr and would draw like 120 amps from my 12 volt system prior to transforming without considering loss. No thanks.

I need to get a brace and bit auger at some point.

For reference here is the hand drill that can't survive plywood.

To its credit, when I buy tools, I buy the cheapest available. If it works, it works if it doesn't I assess the failure and judge the quality needed for the replacement.

If a 10 amp draw will tax your system too much, that means that we're in agreement that your current situation is woefully inadequate in regards to effective, reliable electricity supply, correct? What is the cheapest, easiest, most portable solution to the issue of not having a reliable supply of electricity?

And just incase you missed the detail in Motronic's video, I'll also tell you that my circular saw, sawzall, and jigsaw are all cordless, and so were all of the tools of all of the carpenters in my company

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
If nature wanted us to use tools like saws and chisels, it wouldn't have given us teeth.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Now imaging if you will that next to the scrap wood shoe matt (damn right im going to have people kick off their shoes before entering my tiny home) a rocking chair or camping chair, and then beside that a small grill or sawn off 55-gallon barrel sitting on top of a wire spool.

The Door Frame posted:

If a 10 amp draw will tax your system too much, that means that we're in agreement that your current situation is woefully inadequate in regards to effective, reliable electricity supply, correct? What is the cheapest, easiest, most portable solution to the issue of not having a reliable supply of electricity?

And just incase you missed the detail in Motronic's video, I'll also tell you that my circular saw, sawzall, and jigsaw are all cordless, and so were all of the tools of all of the carpenters in my company

You literally missed the first sentence.

A 10 amp draw won't tax my system a 10 amp at 120 volts will or 100 amps at 12volts prior to the transformer.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Rytheric posted:

A 10 amp draw won't tax my system a 10 amp at 120 volts will or 100 amps at 12volts prior to the transformer.

My AR days are behind me so I don't quite have maths on power in my head but.... What? Huh? Sorry but that didnt make a lick of sense.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
It's a bad number of volts. You don't want it to be an even number.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Rytheric posted:

10 amps @ 120V is 1200 watts, which your inverter seems to be able to handle.

Regardless, if you go with battery-powered tools, you can have a few batteries charging all the time and comfortably rotate them as needed. Most systems have one battery type that fits an array of different tools.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Why not compressed air tools

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Rytheric posted:

100 DC amps, we can ignore because there aren't widespread DC power outlets, hence the inverter

Max output of the inverter is 1250W, correct? I would be quite surprised if there is anything but a 10A fuse in that inverter because 10A at 120V is 1200W and a 10A fuse is cheap and easy to source piece of electronics, and a ~10.4A fuse is not

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Tunicate posted:

Do you know how many balloons it takes to get a reasonable amount of pressure?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

corgski posted:

Do you know how many balloons it takes to get a reasonable amount of pressure?

Harness the natural power of wind for your air tools!

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Tunicate posted:

If a Honda camping generator is too loud for the OP, then the air compressor you need to run pneumatic tools is Spinal Tap loud

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Tunicate posted:

I don't have a bizarre aversion to noise or power tools, and I still wince when I have to fire up the compressor.

E: they did make compressors based off old Ford V8's, so maybe that'd be up Ry's alley, he can modify the cooling system to be broken, it'll be great.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Feb 25, 2021

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I love this thread.

Also, ry, this is the type hand drill you need:

I made a planter box last year and mounted my security camera with a drill like this. I bought a new ryobi a little while back that is much easier to use, but its nice having a backup.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Now imaging if you will that next to the scrap wood shoe matt (damn right im going to have people kick off their shoes before entering my tiny home) a rocking chair or camping chair, and then beside that a small grill or sawn off 55-gallon barrel sitting on top of a wire spool.

Deteriorata posted:

10 amps @ 120V is 1200 watts, which your inverter seems to be able to handle.

Regardless, if you go with battery-powered tools, you can have a few batteries charging all the time and comfortably rotate them as needed. Most systems have one battery type that fits an array of different tools.

That is what I do when I use my power drill. I have multiple batteries charging for continuous use.

The point I was making is yes my inverter may be able to handle the corded 10 amps watt wise. But I only be able to run it for an hour because my battery capacity is 1380 watts. But more importantly that would be expecting my battery to supply the inverter with 100 amps which is not safe nor good for my deep cycle battery. I wouldn't want to subject my battery to more than 50 amps. My inverter recommends a 60 amp fuse between it and the battery. To make effective use of a 10 amp corded one, I would need to get a second 12 volt battery and run them in series to up the voltage to a 24 volt system and to drop the current down to 50 amps.

Rytheric fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Feb 25, 2021

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Rytheric posted:

That is what I do when I use my power drill. I have multiple batteries charging for continuous use.

The point I was making is yes my inverter may be able to handle the corded 10 amps watt wise. But I only be able to run it for an hour because my battery capacity is 1380 watts. But more importantly thay would be expecting my battery to supply the inverter with 100 amps which is not safe nor good for my deep cycle battery. I wouldn't want to subject my battery to more than 50 amps. My inverter recommends a 60 amp fuse between it and the battery. To make effective use of a 10 amp corded one, I would need to get a second 12 volt battery and run them in series to up the voltage to a 24 volt system and to drop the current down to 50 amps.

You don't run saws continuously.

You need this though, look how perfectly it would fit in Grovertruk https://youtu.be/RXbb0so8OK0

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Mr. Nice! posted:

I made a planter box last year ...

Perhaps you will be able to assist the OP with the construction of a hand-planed, hardwood hood-vent?

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Elviscat posted:

You don't run saws continuously.

You need this though, look how perfectly it would fit in Grovertruk https://youtu.be/RXbb0so8OK0

Lol that was interesting, but super loud.

I wouldn't run it continuously but I would run it long enough to blow the 60 amp fuse protecting my battery. I chose the 1250 watt inverter because my max expected load at the time was 600 watts and as a general rule of thumb an inverter should be twice the expected max load as a safety factor. The inverter itself can handle a spike up to 2500 watts so it has a safety rating for itself, but that doesn't mean it's safe for my battery.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

The Door Frame posted:

100 DC amps, we can ignore because there aren't widespread DC power outlets, hence the inverter

Max output of the inverter is 1250W, correct? I would be quite surprised if there is anything but a 10A fuse in that inverter because 10A at 120V is 1200W and a 10A fuse is cheap and easy to source piece of electronics, and a ~10.4A fuse is not

The "outlet" my inverter would be connected to is my battery. The inverter draws from my battery. The max output of the inverter Is 1250w, but the max draw of my battery is 50 dc amps which is half of 100 dc amps my inverter would need to invert to 10 Amps at 120 volts for corded power equipment.

I can use battery powered equipment, but I can not use corded power equipment. Which means I'm not shirking away from powered equipment because of a lack of power since I can use battery powered equipment. I just don't like the dust and noise they produce.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I've missed part of the conversation. Is the battery the truck battery? Because if it is you can just run the truck, then the inverter is actually drawing from the alternator which should easily provide 1250W.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

um excuse me posted:

I've missed part of the conversation. Is the battery the truck battery? Because if it is you can just run the truck, then the inverter is actually drawing from the alternator which should easily provide 1250W.

The battery is the Groverbattery not the Trukbattery.

My alternator is in the same boat. It gives 60-80 amps iirc. I haven't added the alternator to the charging system yet.

Looked it up stock my alternator runs between 50-95 amps depending on the rpms. Idling is on the lower side. There is a 130/140 amp upgrade.

Rytheric fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Feb 25, 2021

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Lol my Subaru does more than that. I just assumed truck = bigger alternator.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

um excuse me posted:

Lol my Subaru does more than that. I just assumed truck = bigger alternator.

It's a 1995. I edited my comment it ranges from 50-95 based on rpm, but idles on the lower end.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Rytheric posted:

The battery is the Groverbattery not the Trukbattery.

So here's a thing: maybe you can say what you mean clearly instead of trying to forums-speak it up so much that it's not understandable anymore.

This is the initial reason I've had such a negative reaction to you not immediately started helping you out in earnest.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
motronic what kind of mini excavator is that

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

motronic what kind of mini excavator is that

A Groverpillar obviously.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Motronic posted:

So here's a thing: maybe you can say what you mean clearly instead of trying to forums-speak it up so much that it's not understandable anymore.

This is the initial reason I've had such a negative reaction to you not immediately started helping you out in earnest.

I can somewhat get that, but when I talked about my electric system I pointed things out initially and if I recall clearly and seriously as electricity shouldn't be taken lightly. And pointed out that I have a house battery and a vehicle battery (rv speak). But I realize that is still confusing because both batteries are in the vehicle and I realized that people aren't going to recall my electrical set up section because I can barely recall it and im the author, so I was hoping Groverbattery and Trukbattery would differentiate and help people remember which one is in the engine bay and which one is in my closet. Plus things are suppose to be entertaining. What's the point of anything if it's not entertaining.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Rytheric posted:

Plus things are suppose to be entertaining. What's the point of anything if it's not entertaining.

This man gets it. Showmanship is a lost art, godddammit.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

I spoke to an engineer because I was genuinely getting a little frustrated that people were suggesting I power something that would in my mind potentially damage my battery. Apparently in this rare instance I erred a bit more on the side of caution. He said it wouldn't be a 100dc amp draw, but that its a terrible idea. I was under the assumption that operating above .4 to .5 the C of the battery would cause severe damage to the battery, but he said that using the battery would cause degradation and using it above .4 to .5 C would just cause more degradation. So it's not as bad as I thought. I still don't want to do it though. I didn't design the system to do that. I only designed my system to temporarily heat the bedroom at most, run electric blankets, to charge my batteries, and to run my sleep apnea machine not for running tools and that's all I'm going to use it for. I may charge a set of power tool batteries at most in that realm.

Edit: changed 100 dc volt draw to the intended 100 dc amp draw.

Rytheric fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Feb 25, 2021

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

What type of engineer was that? Did you get it in writing? Was there a stamp?

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Motronic posted:

What type of engineer was that? Did you get it in writing? Was there a stamp?

Lol you typically don't stamp a phone a friend particularly if your intention is to use less current than tolerable. As a reference, I didn't ask my uncle the question, but my uncle is an electrical engineer and helped me select my inverter. I was only wanting a 750w, but he insisted and got the expensive inverter for me as a birthday and Christmas present.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I'd error on the safe side with the stuff that powers my heated blanket and cpap, too

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
No one is saying plug the grovertruk battery directly into cordless tools, manufacturers tried that and instead came up with batteries that are more portable and fit the sockets on cordless tools.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Just wanna check something here, you do realize that automotive/rv/marine electrical systems run on 12v (barring 24v bullshit setups) and an inverter converts to 120v, right? How the gently caress did you get 100v out of either of those ends? :psyboom:

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Feb 25, 2021

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

I was only correcting your math on the power draw. I wasn't expecting you to actually power a circular saw off a 12V battery.

The larger issue is that your productivity with only hand tools will be extremely low. You're going to need a source of electric power other than the alternator of the truk if you're going to get your houses built before you die.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Rytheric posted:

Lol you typically don't stamp a phone a friend particularly if your intention is to use less current than tolerable.

So you tried a post that gave you some sort of authority through an "expert" that was only known to you, and when challenged went all "lol I phoned a friend!"

I'm just trying to figure out whether you can be helped or not. If so, you need to stop...whatever this lying is.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Spookydonut posted:

No one is saying plug the grovertruk battery directly into cordless tools, manufacturers tried that and instead came up with batteries that are more portable and fit the sockets on cordless tools.

They were suggesting that im not using corded power tools because my system couldn't hand it. And when I confirmed it wouldn't handle it, but that I could charge a battery for are battery powered one. They suggested a 10 amp corded power tool would work with my 1250w inverter without considering the constrains of my battery and that the 1250w was a 2x safety factor.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Elmnt80 posted:

Just wanna check something here, you do realize that automotive/rv/marine electrical systems run on 12v (barring 24v bullshit setups) and an inverter converts to 120v, right? How the gently caress did you get 100v out of either of those ends? :psyboom:

I meant to say amp draw in that one paragraph. The object drawing power is a saw drawing 10 amps at 120v or 1200w which is being supplied by the inverter. The inverter is drawing the 1200w from a 12 volt battery system which equals roughly 100amps from the battery system.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Motronic posted:

So you tried a post that gave you some sort of authority through an "expert" that was only known to you, and when challenged went all "lol I phoned a friend!"

I'm just trying to figure out whether you can be helped or not. If so, you need to stop...whatever this lying is.

Look. When I am referencing people, engineers, and the like I have an obligation to provide them anomimity. My friends and others on here are already trying to protect me from doxing myself by telling me when I've revealed too much or telling me what to edit. Some people already know who I asked and I've probably said to much already.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I mean, in actually the inverter will be drawing more due to conversion losses, but whatever. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Motronic posted:

he said he “spoke to an engineer” which could mean on the phone as I understand it. But more importantly who cares