Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Can't believe a team of thirty people couldn't turn that giant loving mess around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Speaking of giant messes, does the Mass effect remake keep the patched ending for 3, or has it been further changed? I saw some articles saying it had a new ending, but others suggested they're confused and just mean the patched ending.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I think the Outrider demo is starting tomorrow or Friday? Anyone excited for it? I caught a 10 min overview and it looks interesting. Serious Mass Effect vibes but abilities look way more prevalent. Demo will feature all the classes, about 3 hours of gameplay, and progress transfers when the game comes out.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Darkrenown posted:

Speaking of giant messes, does the Mass effect remake keep the patched ending for 3, or has it been further changed? I saw some articles saying it had a new ending, but others suggested they're confused and just mean the patched ending.

It's the patched endings, the director confirmed they're now considered the official ones.

Orv
May 4, 2011

bamhand posted:

I think the Outrider demo is starting tomorrow or Friday? Anyone excited for it? I caught a 10 min overview and it looks interesting. Serious Mass Effect vibes but abilities look way more prevalent. Demo will feature all the classes, about 3 hours of gameplay, and progress transfers when the game comes out.

It looks like it might be pretty neat, honestly. We'll see how it ends up in practice.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
The fact that it has a Demo and not a "Beta" is a good thing.

Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

So I got Anthem a while back when it was 12 bucks in anticipation for them fixing it. Now that they're not, it is even worth trying?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

bamhand posted:

I'm pulling for it because I like People Can Fly and wish them success, yeah. I also dig that it's not gonna be a GAAS thing, which is rare for the subgenre. Classes look cool, gun and set bonuses sound cool, its focus on aggressive play sounds promising, pretty generic visual-style (especially enemy design) tho.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

So I got Anthem a while back when it was 12 bucks in anticipation for them fixing it. Now that they're not, it is even worth trying?

No.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Anno posted:

The remaster of the first Geneforge game is out today as well for any Jeff Vogel fans and/or people who like cRPGs. I continue to find Spiderweb games strangely pretty, and this is a nice update graphically imo.

This is awesome. I love the spiderweb games.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

MarcusSA posted:

This is awesome. I love the spiderweb games.
I've been really excited about that because Jeff actually preserved the original skill and stat system this time instead of the pseudo Diablo skill system he has been going with since the Avadon games. I just didn't like that at all and I'm really looking forward to playing a modernized Geneforge that still has all of the Geneforge mechanics in it.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
I just picked up Samorost 3 based on how sweet and amazing the previous games were. It's the cheapest it has ever been at A$5.80, which is probably under $5 in US money.

funkmeister
Feb 20, 2010

About your father. If it's any help, he's in the ground now. Sure, it's bad news for him. But on the other hand, it's party time for all those little worms.
Outriders demo is 2/25/21 12p EST
free/no preorder necessary, won't expire, not limited on time, crossplay, progress goes to game release (can only get to level 7 of 30, resources are capped at some amount to prevent brokebrains maxing on launch day)
not GAAS, aggressive gameplay (you aren't intended to hide behind cover all the time, but instead kill things to leech life/etc)
woo!

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Gromit posted:

I just picked up Samorost 3 based on how sweet and amazing the previous games were. It's the cheapest it has ever been at A$5.80, which is probably under $5 in US money.
It's an amazing game. I love titles that manage to pull off that kind of fully realized concept art visual style.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

so with outriders, is there like.. an ending? no gear grinding and stuff if its not a GAAS game?

Orv
May 4, 2011

queeb posted:

so with outriders, is there like.. an ending? no gear grinding and stuff if its not a GAAS game?

It's a looter shooter so grinding for loot is part of the whole deal. The trick here (wild that this needs to be a thing) is that it has an end-game loop and content baked in when it launches, not added.

Specifically the end-game is 15 maps with various objectives that you work your way through, increasing in enemy level and difficulty until you reach the final map. While you're doing this your gear continues to increase in power but your character stays at level 30, while the game 'ends' at 50.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

so why did anthem flop so hard? what was so bad about it?

i dont want to watch a 20 minute breathless video or read a kotaku article

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

Nope. The only redeemable feature of that game was "takeoff, flight & landing are neat, I guess". The rest can be consigned to the dirt pit with atari ET

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Awesome! posted:

among so many other things, it was a lootershooter so full of bugs, bad stats and dreadful design that actually equipping anything over your starting gear was a mistake

between that, the interminable load times and the shakiness of the multiplayer, I was fed up fast

(e) I'm mildly curious what they DID manage to fix, if anything. Not enough to actually search it out tho

Orv
May 4, 2011

Awesome! posted:

It was fun only in the parts (flying) where you did not engage with the actual gameplay, had no loot in loot game and had nothing to do.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Awesome! posted:

The flying around and combat was pretty fun, I played the big tank guy with a shield and not gonna lie stomping through enemies with the lightning thing going at the same time was pretty satisfying. Loot was terrible and the game was padded with fetch quests to put the end of the story further away from reviewers so nobody knew that there was maybe like 10-15 hours of repetitive boring gameplay and a "postgame" that was not implemented yet. Really felt like they built a facade with the flying around and cool robot stompy stuff up front but once you got past that it was an inch deep.

I think the first big update they did for the game they added a bad battle royale kinda mode while everyone was just pleading for them to add more to do after beating the game.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

https://twitter.com/AdmiralBahroo/status/1125179106381959169/photo/1
(Twitch streamer)

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Anthem was such a complete non-game that it legit stuck a roadblock in your path halfway into the story, where you couldn't progress unless you entered four tombs. Each had a set of associated trials. None of these trials began counting until you kicked them off. Every single one was basically just filling meters by doing X task Y times.

Some of them included "help people up X times" so gently caress you if you wanted to solo, "do X world events" which is based on randomly lucking into the drat things in the empty open world, and "kill X elites" which is again, pretty heavily RNG based.

And this was to continue the game's story and unlock the rest of the online play. Just a real "okay we know there's only a week tops of content but how can we make people stay" move.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I have to at least respect the self-awareness

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

poo poo that reminds me, half of the mission objectives were "Stand in this circle until a meter fills. Okay now go stand in another circle until another meter fills". And every. single. mission. did this. I played to the end of the story because I had a month of the EA access thing to try it and really really wanted to see if that formula changed at all and it never did. It was honestly baffling to me.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

explosivo posted:

poo poo that reminds me, half of the mission objectives were "Stand in this circle until a meter fills. Okay now go stand in another circle until another meter fills". And every. single. mission. did this. I played to the end of the story because I had a month of the EA access thing to try it and really really wanted to see if that formula changed at all and it never did. It was honestly baffling to me.

This could describe the amazing gameplay of Marvel's Avengers as well. GAAS needs to die a fiery death imo

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Doctor Nutt posted:

This could describe the amazing gameplay of Marvel's Avengers as well. GAAS needs to die a fiery death imo

Avengers at least had a fun singleplayer campaign at least give it that (marginal) credit!!

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

I can't stop staring at that thumb. :stare:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

PlushCow posted:

Avengers at least had a fun singleplayer campaign at least give it that (marginal) credit!!

Yeah, I feel like I got my money’s worth from avengers. I tried Anthem on the EA Access thing and gave up like an hour in.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Awesome! posted:

it was a technical mess on every conceivable level. the game had constant and agonizingly-long load screens between everything which all had a chance to become infinite and trap you forever until you alt-f4ed. performance was poor. it crashed a bunch. network issues were rampant and made playing with friends a headache. it was littered with weird limitations like the inability to change your gear in the middle of any activity (so a looter shooter where trying any loot that dropped required stopping what you were doing and waiting through a minimum of 2 more painful loading screens). the gameplay was riddled with bugs, and they were the sort of bugs that undermined the entire foundation of the game, such as frequent cases of the group of enemies you were fighting simply vanishing in your crosshairs never to return, or the opposite with a group of enemies spawning out of thin air around you, or players getting stuck and unable to do anything. as well as many less critical but still really enjoyment-damaging bugs like sound effects not playing correctly.

much could also be said about how little content there was and how much the actual game design got wrong, but it’s kind of pointless to bring up because A) the aforementioned foundational bugs meant the game never worked right anyway, and B) the game infamously didn’t really have a design to hold to in the first place, it was just the fastest thing they could cobble together in the time they had left after they had spent years producing nothing and were finally forced to make something and ship it.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
The Division 2 Demo also came out around the same time as the Anthem Beta with a fun story mission, an actual AI partner that was helpful against the missions boss, and more importantly actually worked and played well.

BexGu fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Feb 24, 2021

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

PowerBeard posted:

I can't stop staring at that thumb. :stare:
It's called hitchhiker's thumb. If I do a thumbs up I can make the pad of my thumb parallel to the ceiling, like an L rotated 90 degrees.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Anthem has a main quest hub that you spend a lot of the game in, slowly walking around in first person while NPCs blast story exposition at you. Also the occasional dialogue choice but they do not matter. At no point does this part of the game feel like it belongs.

Then you go out into the world to do a series of generic missions that feel like they were generated by an algorithm.

Repeat for 10 hours until you hit a progression wall. Now go out into the open world and complete a series of random objectives (public events, kill X enemies, find collectibles) to fill out a checklist.

Then go do more generic missions and have some more exposition.

After maybe 5-10 more hours of that you reach the (very disappointing) final boss. The "story", thin and confusing as it is, doesn't get wrapped up in any way and there's a post-credits teaser for a new enemy faction that never appears.

Now go do the endgame that involves endlessly grinding the same few identical instances again and again to get better drops. That's Anthem.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
It came free with my graphics card, which I couldn't use for 2 weeks until other parts arrived, during which time the free game changed to Metro Exodus which I really wanted to play. Anyway, the feeling of running along and taking to the air was amazing, as well as flying low over the ground and hitting all the cool-down spots to keep going. The combat felt pretty nice, and flying around the world and finding other online players to help out was cool, too.

Everything else was as described and not fun. Load times were dire, and you soon tired of the same mission structure over and over.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

ErrEff posted:

After maybe 5-10 more hours of that you reach the (very disappointing) final boss. The "story", thin and confusing as it is, doesn't get wrapped up in any way and there's a post-credits teaser for a new enemy faction that never appears.

Speaking of that teaser. I believe Anthem had 2 total content drops after release. One was long delayed and was "the gathering storm" or some similar title about lightning and fury. The other was a holiday event.

I cannot recall which one came out first but the other was just the first recolored. Literally, the world events were now holiday themed.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The Anthem roadmap belongs in a gallery of failed video game projects.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

END ME SCOOB posted:

Speaking of that teaser. I believe Anthem had 2 total content drops after release. One was long delayed and was "the gathering storm" or some similar title about lightning and fury. The other was a holiday event.

Yeah the gathering storm was a battle royale kinda thing IIRC which was hilarious because everyone who figured out that the game sucks had already left by then, and the people that remained had to come to the realization that this is what they decided to prioritize over fixing the game to bring people back to it.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

exquisite tea posted:

The Anthem roadmap belongs in a gallery of failed video game projects.

flagshipped

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Did Anthem even have more tilesets than the one in that beta? Think it might have had a desert one and that's about it...

Gameplaywise, it also had really anemic shooting and the flying was too limited, tho some of the powers felt good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Is Anthem the one where you had to pay money for colors for your armor

E: And not like to get a super cool decal or color pattern, but just straight up if you want blue, you have to pay for blue. For each combination of blue