Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Maverick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

thetoughestbean posted:

I have a question about Krakoa. Are there like, any mutant anti-krakoans or any mutants opposed to the idea of a mutant homeland?

A couple.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I don't know if Namor's against it, but he's against it the way that Xavier and Magneto put it together. If you told Namor he was in charge of it he'd probably be down

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Most of the mutants opposed to Krakoa seem to think it's not going to work in it's current form and can't be chuffed to try and help foster a more promising looking version.

Then there's that one lady in Mojoworld who seems to be the only mutant who holds a grudge, that dislikes the idea of hanging out on an island with such a high population of ex-evil mutants

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Logan and Cyclops don't seem outright anti-krakoa but they are at least sceptical. Percy seems to alternate between blaming it on Wolverine being cynical, or presenting it as disliking the blanket condemnation of humanity and the ignoring of past mutant wrongdoers.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I kinda think everyone who doesn't embrace Krakoa fully is operating on a "gently caress it, nothing else has worked that well, let's see how this works, at least there's a tiki bar" theory.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Kinda laughing about X-Men taking a full year to resume the vault story and then making you wait another month for the actual conclusion. Comic books!

I did find the note about mutants hitting breakthroughs on being resurrected to be a really interesting wrinkle, even if it hasn't been consistent in the slightest?
Well, Synch's "breakthrough" is described as a 4% increase in power, and an ability to copy non-mutant powers. Only one of those is really something visible on the page, and Hickman did so, with Synch being unaware he could copy other powers until he did. Of other mutants who have died and been resurrected, (off the top of my head...) I'm not sure what a small power upgrade for Siryn would look like; Rockslide, Wild Child, and Nanny had other things going on with their resurrections and a small power increase is likely to be mixed up in that; we haven't actually seen Gorgon since X of Swords; Orphanmaker has had his development stopped before his powers actually activate; Quentin Quire was already Omega level; Kate's powers aren't something that would easily show an upgrade; Empath's might have improved maybe, but he's certainly not the type to tell anyone; Storm spends her time holding her power back. I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Wolfsbane used to turn into more than one wolf. We haven't seen that since resurrection I think.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I mean Kate has phased her entire ship through another boat before being rezzed, so I'm not sure how you'd notice her being stronger.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Gaz-L posted:

I mean Kate has phased her entire ship through another boat before being rezzed, so I'm not sure how you'd notice her being stronger.

She phased the planet once, a boat scarcely registers.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

rantmo posted:

She phased the planet once, a boat scarcely registers.

In the Whedon run, she phased a massive space bullet THROUGH the Earth, not the other way around. Or are you referring to another thing?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

danbanana posted:

In the Whedon run, she phased a massive space bullet THROUGH the Earth, not the other way around. Or are you referring to another thing?

That's what I meant, I just couldn't remember which got phased: the planet or the planet-sized bullet.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

This mostly reminds me of Warpath finding out he could fly because Pete Wisdom suggested that maybe he has more powers than his brother.

Also Synch was always depicted as an overachiever (he borrow Chamber's powers and learned how to fly with them), so I'm not terribly surprised he's the first they've actually noticed having improved powers.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Beerdeer posted:

Wolfsbane used to turn into more than one wolf. We haven't seen that since resurrection I think.

She did this a few issues ago in New Mutants! Issue 14, Vita Ayala's first issue. They're doing a really great job with the title so far so check it out if you want to go full Deleuzian and see one or several wolves!

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I wish the current New Mutants artist wasn't drawing Rahne like she's 12. It's hard to take it seriously when a mother of a formerly believed to be dead child looks 12 herself.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

rantmo posted:

That's what I meant, I just couldn't remember which got phased: the planet or the planet-sized bullet.

She did phase an entire planet when she got cosmic powers in that goofy Black Vortex crossover story.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Saoshyant posted:

I wish the current New Mutants artist wasn't drawing Rahne like she's 12. It's hard to take it seriously when a mother of a formerly believed to be dead child looks 12 herself.

They're drawing her to look like Maisie Williams in an ill-advised attempt to latch on to the movie's 'success'.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Saoshyant posted:

Gaz-L posted:

They're drawing her to look like Maisie Williams in an ill-advised attempt to latch on to the movie's 'success'.

i don't think either of these statements are true or accurate lmao

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

She is definitely being drawn physically smaller, but I don't think that's incorrect. I definitely do not think she's being drawn to look like Maisie Williams.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

She is definitely being drawn physically smaller, but I don't think that's incorrect. I definitely do not think she's being drawn to look like Maisie Williams.

Yeah, I just flipped through the latest issue and the pictures of Rahne are definitely not based on Maisey Williams.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Oh, she definitely looks like Rahne, not Maisie. The problem is that she looks like Rahne from the original New Mutants in the 80's, not the grown rear end woman in her mid twenties that she's supposed to be.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

How do they figure out what age to resurrect people as? I mean kids you'd bring back as whatever age they were, but after age 25ish?

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.
In X-Men 18 is that the/a Black Swan or is it just Hickman doing his "negative-colored hot woman who speaks in black bubbles" like East of West, Decorum, Avengers, etc.?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

In X-Men 18 is that the/a Black Swan or is it just Hickman doing his "negative-colored hot woman who speaks in black bubbles" like East of West, Decorum, Avengers, etc.?

I think it's the girl they rescued in X-Men 1 or 2 along with a bunch of mutant kids who then promptly teleported away. The issue where Magneto fights a bunch of phDs who turned themselves into apes.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

They are from the Mike Carey's run, the Children of the Vault. Some of those characters even died back in X-Men #193 (thanks Paul O'Brien for pointing that out), so it appears they have resurrection protocols of their own.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Skwirl posted:

How do they figure out what age to resurrect people as? I mean kids you'd bring back as whatever age they were, but after age 25ish?

Asking questions like this is how you end up in the hole with Sabertooth.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'm reading via Marvel Unlimited, so I'm a few issues behind, but the Hickman issues of New Mutants, I definitely felt she was being drawn like Williams. (I also wish Hickman wouldn't try and write the accent, but I realise that's hypocritical when I have no issue with Rogue or Gambit.)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

I'm reading via Marvel Unlimited, so I'm a few issues behind, but the Hickman issues of New Mutants, I definitely felt she was being drawn like Williams. (I also wish Hickman wouldn't try and write the accent, but I realise that's hypocritical when I have no issue with Rogue or Gambit.)

The third issue of the new creative staff on New Mutants just came out yesterday so if the first issue isn't on Unlimited yet it will be soon.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

its the same artist as the Hickman issues, and she's never once looked like Maisie Williams when drawn by him

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

I'm fascinated by the subjectivity of this because I absolutely recall seeing Rod Reis' Rahne and going, "oh, based on Maisie Williams, cool", so I thought I'd chuck up some actual pictures. Seems quite clear to me!

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Alaois posted:

its the same artist as the Hickman issues, and she's never once looked like Maisie Williams when drawn by him

I have zero dog in this fight but this is literally the 3rd panel she appears in in NM #1

E: Beat! But yeah, that's 100% loving Arya with red hair.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I think it's just short haired Maisie Williams looks a lot like the old Claremont/Sienkiewicz Rahne. Quality of the movie aside (I haven't seen it) they nailed a lot of the casting for the New Mutants film.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

those are definitely both women with short hair, you got me!

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Metalshark posted:

I'm fascinated by the subjectivity of this because I absolutely recall seeing Rod Reis' Rahne and going, "oh, based on Maisie Williams, cool", so I thought I'd chuck up some actual pictures. Seems quite clear to me!

The chins look quite different to me, but to each their own.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Yeah, I can see how they look kinda similar, but I don't think the artist was using pictures of Maisie Williams as a reference.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
This must be another incident of goon face blindness because that is 100% Maisie Williams from the face to the exact same hairstyle.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

galagazombie posted:

This must be another incident of goon face blindness because that is 100% Maisie Williams from the face to the exact same hairstyle.

I agree they are similar looking, when I was saying Rahne didn't look like Maisie Williams I was going off my memories of GoT, I haven't seen the New Mutants film outside of trailers I watched about a year ago. These two pictures are the closest to them facing the same direction and a good chunk of the facial structure is different. I think they cast Maisie Williams for the movie because she's a good actress, could look the part and do the accent. Rahne's current hairstyle might be based of Williams since it used to be all spiky.

radlum
May 13, 2013
She does look a bit like Maisie, mostly due to the short hait (can't recall if she had short hair on Rosenberg's run) and short size, but I don't think it's that bad, specially since Rod Reis style is kind of cartoony.

I'm liking this new take on New Mutants; Vita has managed to focus on the kids, the Shadow King, Gabby, Rahne, Karma and Dani and done it in an interesting way. I'm really curious about what's going on with Rahne's son.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Rod Reis feels like an artistic heir to Sienkiewicz and I'm really enjoying that. His studied yet loose brush is really interesting to look at and his experiments with color in the most recent issue were a joy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Cloks posted:

Rod Reis feels like an artistic heir to Sienkiewicz and I'm really enjoying that. His studied yet loose brush is really interesting to look at and his experiments with color in the most recent issue were a joy.

:yeah:

I'm also digging that there's now a team of somewhat Newer Mutants in the New Mutants book, and yet it still features the Old New Mutants.