Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

sharkytm posted:

Battery optimization is off for all GApps. Hasn't helped.

No turn it off entirely. See if that works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HexiDave
Mar 20, 2009

redeyes posted:

sharkytm posted:

Battery optimization is off for all GApps. Hasn't helped.
No turn it off entirely. See if that works.

I had to take the "hit it with a brick" route:

Turn on developer options, enable USB Debugging, grab Android debugger (adb), then from the command line:

code:
adb shell dumpsys deviceidle disable
That basically turns off Android's idle modes, though you might need to run it again after updates and restarts. No root needed. I have a OnePlus 8 and it absolutely refused to work with any whitelists for bypassing the battery optimizations at any level. Now it works correctly, consistently. Battery life is about the same as before, though I don't have a lot of background apps to begin with.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Lol ok! I was more just saying click it off for all the apps. That works though.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

FistEnergy posted:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/02/googles-older-pixel-cameras-are-failing-at-an-accelerating-rate/

I don't recall anyone here having these issues, and it's probably not widespread. But if your Pixel camera stopped working, this might be why.

I replaced my pixel 2 around 6 months ago because the camera suddenly stopped working. The phone was in great condition, everything worked perfectly except the camera. I posted about it here when it happened and someone itt replied I should try "pushing really hard right below the lens," which implies that the issue is common and has been happening for a while.

I'm still salty about it because I replaced my perfect pixel 2 with a pixel 3, and the 3 feels like a direct downgrade. Doesn't run noticeably better, it's made of gross, slippery, slimey, bulbous plastic, and the power button was loose from day 1.

edit: But the reason I came to this thread was to talk about "tab groups," which suddenly appeared on my device. Putting tabs as little circles at the bottom of the screen is a good idea - tab switching was horrible before. But the "group" concept seems needlessly complicated; especially since the "open in new tab" menu option has been replaced with the language "open in new tab in group" lol

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Feb 21, 2021

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Charles posted:

Maybe the problem is you.

I maintain that I am a worthless phone typer but some apps work much better than others. Dont get me started on the god drat samsung keyboard which I'm locked into on my work profile. I need to be cast into some kind of phone typing boot camp where I will be forced to type with two fingers like everyone else. Only 11 years of habits to try and counteract.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I do swipe typing on Swiftkey and in my experience it's one the better ones around for that. It has been a while, but two years ago I tried pretty much all of them I could get my hands on without paying for it.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Gboard always, even and especially on iphone

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I'm still using fleksy after all these years

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.
I'm still using swype just because it works reasonably well and I feel it would be a pain to start a new library somewhere else.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Yeah but isn't there a giant dickaround with trying to get that now? Like you gotta use some version from 1986?

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

Just upgraded my Motorola z2 force to a s21 ultra. So far I'm loving it and the 5g is a noticeable upgrade as well. Haven't really tested the battery life yet, but I'm hoping it can keep up with my old phone using the attachable battery pack.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
I just ordered that $250 Samsung M31 phone, which is apparently made for India markets. It has a 6000 mAh battery. I'll post if it's good or not idk

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica

Strawberry Pyramid posted:

I had to watch the NASA landing stream on mobile data for a while, and now Android bugs me every day with a warning about Twitch having used a high amount of mobile data. How do I make it shut up about that?

I've put it on silent, but that's not really a solution. I don't get why Android keeps harping on this one-off event every drat day.

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

Strawberry Pyramid posted:

I've put it on silent, but that's not really a solution. I don't get why Android keeps harping on this one-off event every drat day.

Depends on your particular Android build but you should have something in your mobile data settings that let you set or change your data usage warning levels.

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica

Akbar posted:

Depends on your particular Android build but you should have something in your mobile data settings that let you set or change your data usage warning levels.

Yeah, it's set to 2 gb right now because I have 1 gb of monthly data and 1 gb of rollover, but so what? These warnings should only proc once when I actively hit the percentage levels, not every day afterwards after I've stopped burst using mobile data at that level.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Uthor posted:

Huh. I've been having a (occasional) weird issue on my Pixel 2 where I would zoom in, take a photo, and it would save the unzoomed image. Wonder if that's related.

I thought I was just going a bit crazy but the same thing's happened to me on my Pixel 2 a couple times. My phone is also crashing when I take a picture under 50% power remaining, but I just think that's because my battery is worn and something's causing the voltage to drop enough that it reboots since the same thing happens with more demanding apps when my battery is low. uBreakiFix needs to open a shop up here soon so I can get around to putting in a new battery.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Coxswain Balls posted:

I thought I was just going a bit crazy but the same thing's happened to me on my Pixel 2 a couple times. My phone is also crashing when I take a picture under 50% power remaining, but I just think that's because my battery is worn and something's causing the voltage to drop enough that it reboots since the same thing happens with more demanding apps when my battery is low. uBreakiFix needs to open a shop up here soon so I can get around to putting in a new battery.

I've had mine crash, but at like 20% in the cold. Same with switching to the back camera during video calls.

I've set the battery warning at 40% and keep it topped up. I'll eventually get a replacement, but it's not like I'm away from the house for any length of time these days.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Yeah, the cold snap we've been having certainly isn't helping when I have to go out and I'm not at 100%. When I actually had somewhere to go and was cycle commuting, just turning on the screen would be enough to cause enough of a voltage drop for a phone to crash, although that's at -30C and below temps.

I never used my phone much for anything other than pictures, communication and looking things up, but after I got into a mobile game this summer my battery capacity seems to have completely poo poo the bed. Rapid charging while playing a game probably isn't the best idea, since my phone gets really hot which can't be good for the battery. I've started getting my first battery temp warnings recently. I'm hoping with a battery replacement I can get another couple years out of this thing with sparing use of rapid charging like I used to do when I had a regular sleep schedule and wasn't stuck at home loving around with video games all day as a replacement for human interaction.

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.
I posted this in the recs thread but this one seems a lot more active:

I'm on an LG G6 that's started randomly turning off for low battery when it still has >20% charge (even indoors, so not just wintertime). It's fine for these exist-at-home times but still a bit annoying. I'm looking at the Pixel 4a because it looks like it hits a nice price-performance sweetspot and I prefer smallish phones.

Is it worth considering the 4a 5G or waiting for a 5a or some other phone down the line? I don't particularly care about 5G right now but my history suggests I'll keep this phone for 2-3 years, so I'd like to futureproof to some extent and I don't follow phone tech enough to know when 5G will actually matter. The Pixel 5 seems like it's not worth it value-wise and the OnePlus Nord N10 seems bigger than I'd like, but I'm open to opinions.

I don't really care about a headphone jack and waterproofing would be nice, but it's not a dealbreaker if it's missing.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Why would I not be able to download attachments from Gmail? I get the Download pop-up, but it just sits there at 0% with the linear "progress" animation. I can save the file to Drive, but I'd rather take the shorter route.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

hooah posted:

Why would I not be able to download attachments from Gmail? I get the Download pop-up, but it just sits there at 0% with the linear "progress" animation. I can save the file to Drive, but I'd rather take the shorter route.

Gmail app doesn't have storage permissions perhaps?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Gmail app doesn't have storage permissions perhaps?

Lol sure enough. Why didn't it ask for permission when I tried to download the file?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

hooah posted:

Lol sure enough. Why didn't it ask for permission when I tried to download the file?

Depends if it was denied the permission earlier, it won't ask again.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

hooah posted:

Yup, it means you denied it at one point. It won't ask again automatically.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

You can still write error handling in your app so that when someone tries to use a function that definitely requires a specific permission, and that permission is denied, you get some sort of error message.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Ola posted:

You can still write error handling in your app so that when someone tries to use a function that definitely requires a specific permission, and that permission is denied, you get some sort of error message.

This.

Nest does this because I only have location enabled for "while using the app". Mainly because I don't want it turning the heat down to 55 when I go to work sometimes.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Pixel crash detection in action.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2021/02/24/pixel-crash-detection-reddit-interview/

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT
I bought a like new Pixel 4a and it just came in today. Right away, the first thing I noticed about it is that the OLED screen has a pretty pronounced green tint (at all levels of brightness). Trying to search for others having this problem just turns up a bunch of posts about the 4 XL showing a green tint at low brightness specifically.

Is this typical for this phone or is Google continuing their long standing tradition of trash QA? I can almost get used to it, except for the fact that every other display in my household, OLED or otherwise, is much closer to hitting that 6500K target than this phone. Putting it side-by-side with the Pixel XL it was supposed to replace really shows just how stark the difference is. Even my $35 smart watch (Mi Band 4) has better calibration.

A Reddit post suggested that green tint might be caused by the adhesive used to glue the display to the glass not getting enough UV curing from the factory. I can try leaving it outside in the Southern California sun for 30 minutes to see if that makes any difference, but I have serious doubts this One Werid Trick™ is legitimate, or even relevant to this phone's manufacturing process.

The original plan was to upgrade to a OnePlus 7T, but that changed once I realized how much bigger and heavier it was than my Pixel XL and sold it. If all Pixel 4a's are going to have this screen problem, I almost want my 7T back. At least it had the common sense to let you adjust color gain (even though it didn't need it).

Surprisingly, my local Best Buy has a Pixel 4a, 4a 5G, and 5 all on display. I can take a look and see if any of them have the same color characteristics as mine, but I don't remember anything standing out about them last time I looked.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Green tint on OLEDs is not exclusive to the Pixel line, pretty much every new release in the past 2-3 years has had "green tint" issues reported by a large swath of people.

It must be something intrinsic to Samsung's current manufacturing process and the variance must be too wide to discard all the panels.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT
Up until getting my Pixel XL, I just accepted that OLEDs were going to have naturally different color properties than IPS, and that, if anything, they might actually be revealing the shortcomings of their LCD counterparts, which likely have their own quirks. The various OLED screens I've tried out in years past (Nexus S, Galaxy Note 4, Nexus 6, Moto Z Play) all had similar green cast that seemed reasonable at the time for a relatively new technology. Getting a Pixel XL laid my previous assumptions about them to rest. The colors displayed on screen looked so natural I often forgot I was using OLED. If what your saying is true, it's a shame we're taking a step backwards.

I wonder what was different about the two OnePlus 7T's I tried. Those had Samsung AMOLED displays, were less than 2 years old, and both had a white point very close to my Pixel XL. Other than the slightly weaker color gamut and lower resolution, I had no complaints.

You'd think Pixel phones would at least offer some sort of color gain adjustments since there is likely more than one content creator-type out there using them who would like to get them within the ballpark of all the other displays they use to do their job. If the color variance is so bad from unit to unit, it seems like an essential feature. Even the most basic of smartphones know this and come with a color calibration menu these days, but for some reason, Google is so confident in their phones' hardware that they don't let you adjust this.

Zorilla fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Feb 25, 2021

Tomtrek
Feb 5, 2006

I've had people walk out on me before, but not when I was being so charming.

Strangely enough I picked up Pixel 4a 5G today and it's screen is way too orange... almost like the night mode is stuck on (it's not).

I downloaded an app that lets me control the colour balance somewhat (this one: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=co.uk.quickdoc.screenbalance) and it's definitely a lot better but not perfect.

It's weird that Google doesn't just put proper colour settings in the OS.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Tomtrek posted:

Strangely enough I picked up Pixel 4a 5G today and it's screen is way too orange... almost like the night mode is stuck on (it's not).

I downloaded an app that lets me control the colour balance somewhat (this one: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=co.uk.quickdoc.screenbalance) and it's definitely a lot better but not perfect.

It's weird that Google doesn't just put proper colour settings in the OS.

That sounds like a warranty claim for sure.

I stopped by Best Buy this evening to compare screens, and I found that the white point on their Pixel 4a demo unit was the same as mine (maybe even a tiny bit more green). The 5 and the 4a 5G were also very close--maybe a tiny bit more neutral. This tells me that a warranty claim is likely to be a huge waste of time. Oh well.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Between here and the TV thread, drat. At least you guys aren't clamoring as to why the deeply flawed OLED is the best thing since sliced bread

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

codo27 posted:

Between here and the TV thread, drat. At least you guys aren't clamoring as to why the deeply flawed OLED is the best thing since sliced bread

You want the Monitor/Display Megathread for that. Of course, the difference there is that TVs and monitors can have their irregularities dialed out pretty easily.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
How does the "gradually increase volume" setting on the Android clock work? Is the duration how long it should take to go from silent whatever you have the alarm volume set to?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

codo27 posted:

I have enjoyed every OLED panel I have owned, all the way back to my Galaxy S2. The issues are real, but "deeply flawed" seems hyperbolic?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Computer viking posted:

I have enjoyed every OLED panel I have owned, all the way back to my Galaxy S2. The issues are real, but "deeply flawed" seems hyperbolic?

I'd agree the technology is deeply flawed but all of the flaws only affect the longevity of the device. As long as you're willing to trash it in three years and don't want accurate colors, it's fine.

In other words it's definitely the best display type if you want oversaturated inaccurate colors on deep, true blacks that will last 40 months before it wears unevenly and burns in.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
I don't think inaccurate colors is an unavoidable flaw of OLED, pretty sure Pixel 5 and recent iphones (and probably Samsungs) all have really accurate color unless you pick the vivid setting or whatever. I remember reading Pixel 5 has zero black crush too, which is nice.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yet you'll find reports of green tint for every single one of those devices.

Oneplus just 'fixed' it by limiting the minimum brightness.

Look at all the complaints about the Tab S7+. Note 20 Ultra, green tint. S20 Ultra, green tint.

Return/RMA if it's too bad, just know you are playing this lottery with every device.

It likely has to do with getting the proper gamma curve across all brightness levels. That, combined with display manufacturing variances makes it difficult to get some panels into calibration.

Here's a thread about it for the S21 Ultra.

https://amp.reddit.com/r/samsung/comments/l5lyiz/galaxy_s21_green_tint_issue/

That thread has people also calling out every Oneplus phone since the 6t, the Pixel 5, all manner of Samsung devices, and the iPhone 12.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Feb 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Early OLED phones (Nexus S, I'd say even Nexus 6) had extremely weird color reproduction, and the little bit of tint on the newer phones doesn't bother me at all.

I honestly liked the extremely oversaturated colors that the Nexus 6 did, but it sure wasn't accurate.