Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
The ketchup in my fridge has sugar as the neverth ingredient, as none was added. Total 5%, from the tomatoes. Maybe get ketchup instead of sugared tomatoes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's the third ingredient in Heinz and the Second in Hunt's the number one and two market leaders in the US.

https://www.marketwatch.com/press-r...2027-2021-02-12

And it's second in my "That's smart" brand ketchup. I'm sorry we can't all afford your luxurious bourgeoisie ketchup, but the majority of people are eating red sugar with fries.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Buddy, you can also buy the no sugar added versions of those brands for the same price.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

We buy the low sugar type so we can eat more ketchup and not feel guilty. And I'm realizing I've never made ketchup from scratch beforeso now I know what I'm trying tomorrow

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

people who fall for scams are dumbasses. if you get tricked by a phishing email youre an idiot and its your own fault

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Do people without dementia fall for that poo poo in 2021

If so, lol

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Shibawanko posted:

people who fall for scams are dumbasses. if you get tricked by a phishing email youre an idiot and its your own fault

Anyone can be conned.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

If so, lol

Yes. All the time. Tons of people fall for the "your social security number has fraud on it! Go buy some gift cards so we can remove it!" one too. Even people you'd think would be smart enough to catch it.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

yeah a boomer at work gave his SS out over the phone like six months ago. he came up and told me this story that he had to give it out because the people on the phone said some ~illegal mexicans~ had taken it and they were gonna sort it out for him

when I told him he got scammed, he just looked at me with a blank stare lol

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

The smarter you think you are the easier the mark you are.

"There's no way I could fall for that"

It's the same with cult members.

The trick to life is to be just smart enough to function but dumb enough to hate and mistrust everything including your own judgement.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Guyver posted:

The smarter you think you are the easier the mark you are.

"There's no way I could fall for that"

It's the same with cult members.

The trick to life is to be just smart enough to function but dumb enough to hate and mistrust everything including your own judgement.

i think this is true up to a point but i think im pretty much immune for internet scams. irl i could like have my wallet stolen or be overcharged in a foreign country or something but my basic attitude to other people coming to me for things is "always no"

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Shibawanko posted:

people who fall for scams are dumbasses. if you get tricked by a phishing email

i mean that's the point those scams are targeting the less critical by being stupid, you don't want a "smart" person to get halfway in and waste your time when there's hundreds of old people you can scam

also gently caress you it's the scammer's fault rear end in a top hat nobody deserves to have their lives ruined because they arent tech savvy

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Shibawanko posted:

i think this is true up to a point but i think im pretty much immune for internet scams.

No, you're just not important enough for anyone to target you. That's not an insult, it's the truth.

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.
99% of online or phone scams are to catch technologically illiterate people or people who were never taught or learned like how the IRS might contact you. I'd say half those people deserve it

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I had an e-bay account compromised a few years back because the mobile view of my e-mail managed to spoof a Gumtree e-mail pretty well. When I logged in to see a message, I caught on when it asked for my card details, but by that point one of my log-ins was out there and I had to gently caress around getting my e-bay account unfucked because it was now selling tractors (?).

That wasnt gullibility, but a mix of checking e-mails while being on the move and the scammer e-mail being pretty competent, at least on a mobile e-mail client. I've become even more careful, but not all scams are "please send me iTunes card to avoid tax fraud to realtaxpeople(at)yahoo.com"

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Badactura posted:

99% of online or phone scams are to catch technologically illiterate people or people who were never taught or learned like how the IRS might contact you. I'd say half those people deserve it

Why? what does someone do to deserve having their life possibly ruined?

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

If so, lol
Yes. There’s always an article now and then here in Sweden about some dude who send his “girlfriend in Thailand” the equivalent of thousands of dollars and is left alone with a bouquet of flowers at the airport.

Just sad in every way.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The Sunny Car Centre fiasco was fun to follow in the news, and when it turned out to be a "Nigerian letter" job it was very :vince:.

Even has a Wikipedia article.

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.

Elfgames posted:

Why? what does someone do to deserve having their life possibly ruined?

There's lots of things people do to deserve having their lives ruined, that's an incredibly broad topic

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Manager Hoyden posted:

No, you're just not important enough for anyone to target you. That's not an insult, it's the truth.

lol what does this even mean? i get the odd scam email like anyone else

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Shibawanko posted:

lol what does this even mean? i get the odd scam email like anyone else

Well yeah, the ones they send to ten million people about BILL GATES DONATES U $50 BILLION. But people who are specifically targeted get better ones.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

wow, I am extremely important, for all you know

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Nope you're not either, sorry buddy.

The emails don't lie.

edit: I mean about what we were talking about not like in general

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Hedenius posted:

Yes. There’s always an article now and then here in Sweden about some dude who send his “girlfriend in Thailand” the equivalent of thousands of dollars and is left alone with a bouquet of flowers at the airport.

Just sad in every way.

My ex-brother-in-law got on the hook to his 'russian girlfriend' for thousands and thousands of dollars for various things that 'kept coming up' - and it didn't stop until he was completely tapped out and asked his parents for money to send to her.

I was so embarrassed for that dude.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Manager Hoyden posted:

Well yeah, the ones they send to ten million people about BILL GATES DONATES U $50 BILLION. But people who are specifically targeted get better ones.

yeah my point is people fall for those ultra dumb ones too. i can get hacked or ransomed or something but outright scammed with a fake email? i doublecheck everything i receive. i could get hacked but then were talking about a forceful act, im talking about common scams

there was a show on tv here with bank scam victims who got told by some random phonecall to send thousands of euros to another account, and i get that theyre old and gullible and that sucks, but then most of them blamed the bank for what happened. im not sympathetic to banks but holy poo poo dont pretend these people arent also just gullible goobers who should learn that what they did was stupid

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i had two students who were older ladies and one of them fell for the "ore ore" scam thats common in japan, where they basically just call you up and say "yo its me im in trouble please drop off a pile of cash at location X". she lost close to 2 million yen, although she contacted the police and she was lucky enough to get some of it back

i mean just think about what this involves: she heard the phonecall and just assumed it was her son calling, no alarm bells went off, she walked to the bank and got a ton of money in cash, still no alarm bells, and dropped it off somewhere kind of shady or into another bank account (i dont remember which), still no alarm bells until her actual son called her or someone else got through to her to tell her shed been had. even her friend, my other student, laughed at her for it because its just so incredibly dumb. how is it possible to be that gullible, i guess she was a very rich lady so maybe she didnt care about 2 million but still lol

i think the same thing about people who give money to random streamers or people who donated to lowtax. why would you ever give money to a stranger at all, except actual beggars on the street or something

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Shibawanko posted:

i think the same thing about people who give money to random streamers

People who pay for entertainment?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I bought some used games on Ebay please advise as I did not know the person I was giving money to

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

There's specific scams to catch business savvy rich people too. Those are the ones that are super loving hard to catch. Once a scam gets to the point of creating fake title companies, unless you're trained to catch that sort of thing, it can get you.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

There's specific scams to catch business savvy rich people too. Those are the ones that are super loving hard to catch. Once a scam gets to the point of creating fake title companies, unless you're trained to catch that sort of thing, it can get you.

Yeah, Shib is basically bragging about being the scam-avoiding equivalent of able to identify which wooden block goes in which hole and thinks that means they'll never have problems again.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Captain Monkey posted:

Yeah, Shib is basically bragging about being the scam-avoiding equivalent of able to identify which wooden block goes in which hole and thinks that means they'll never have problems again.

lol its just as easy not to get scammed as it is not to get toolbars in your browser, just don't click on things or agree to anything unless it's clearly the thing you think it is

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Shibawanko posted:

lol its just as easy not to get scammed as it is not to get toolbars in your browser, just don't click on things or agree to anything unless it's clearly the thing you think it is

I'm just annoyed that mail.app won't show me actual headers so when it says paypal blah blah lies blah blah it won't let me know it's paypal.biz.ru or w/e and then opening the email loads assets or something that lets them know someone is reading it before deleting in disgust.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
I was just drinking Ricard Pastis de Marseille after finishing Twisting Corridors in WOW and passed out. Who says we can't be productive during covid. Gonna eat some sausage and drink more I guess, maybe go to sleep.

The plague is a blessing! Never before have I felt more the moral contentment after not going out than yesterday. Thank you Winter Queen.

doverhog has a new favorite as of 11:54 on Feb 27, 2021

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The animation in the first Toy Story doesn't hold up very well. Movie looks kinda lovely.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Gripweed posted:

The animation in the first Toy Story doesn't hold up very well. Movie looks kinda lovely.

I was 18 when it came out so I haven't seen it :smugmrgw:

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Gripweed posted:

I think for the majority of the characters, the toys, it does just fine. But anything organic is nightmare fuel until at least Toy Story 3.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

"the hill we climb" is tedious, mawkish schlock. i kind of knew it wouldnt be good but ive actually read it now and holy poo poo it's long form rupi kaur

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

ive heard will smith lyrics more profound than "the hill we climb"

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
That's becauase Will Smith lyrics are profound and poo poo. He's the rhyme spiller. The real thriller. We talk about the East and the West, but he talks about whole hemispheres.

The Hill We Climb would be better with a few boom shaka lakas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

yeah tbh i love will smith