Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

systemd obsoleted "learning linux" beyond knowing how to get around a shell prompt and install packages

it's all the same, with a sprinkling of distribution-specific tooling on top

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

for container wrangling i've had pretty good luck with using k3s. it works fine for local single node usage while also apparently being fine with running on twelve moderately busy nodes each running ubuntu 20.04. i imagine it eventually starts to fall apart at some node count that i won't ever be reaching anyway

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

for reference though this is the container thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3907183

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

LOOK AT THIS THREAD. It is the container thread now.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Containerize the container talk.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
we need a distribution-agnostic shitposting container runtime so that we can develop shitposts on somethingawful and then deploy them in prod on reddit, twitter etc

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
nntp?

someone get rotor in here

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Sapozhnik posted:

we need a distribution-agnostic shitposting container runtime so that we can develop shitposts on somethingawful and then deploy them in prod on reddit, twitter etc

except the other way around, you randomly a/b-test posts on twitter/reddit where it is hidden by all the noise, then bring the perfect posts back to prod in yospos.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

except the other way around, you randomly a/b-test posts on twitter/reddit where it is hidden by all the noise, then bring the perfect posts back to prod in yospos.

prefect posts already go straight to prod in yospos tho

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Your Open Container Platform is a Piece of poo poo

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
:GaaS:

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

i appear to be a Huge Genius as i installed debian but didn't have wifi firmware so now have a very basic gnu terminal and nothing else

guess my laptops out of commission until tomorrow when i can flash my usb with the version that includes firmware

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
welcum 2 fukkin linux

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

but does the audio work, at least?

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
OOPSIE WOOPSIE!! Uwu We made a fucky wucky!! A wittle fucko boingo!

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

i remembered i have vnc enabled on my seedbox so i just started downloading the new iso with that via my phone rather than booting up my main pc which would take ages since it uses a hard drive

sometimes my own genius astounds me

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I, for one, appreciate Debian's contribution in the fight against spectrum pollution.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

nevermind
it seems debian is incompatible with my laptop

anyone know a good distro for UEFI since uhh this laptop's stuck on that

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

windows 10

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Antigravitas posted:

OpenSuse, Fedora, mayyybe Ubuntu

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

remind me to never mention that poo poo in the irc holy poo poo
i just got called a "retard with downs syndrome" and told to install arch

didn't realise i had joined the loving fyad channel

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

fedora.

not particularly interesting really, but redhat realistically remains where linux is defined, and fedora is real good.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

I admit my opinion of arch the distro is forever tainted by the people who use arch.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Arch is bad

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

just start out with ubuntu to see if things work good then use that as a baseline to see how other distros should work

fedora might still be hung up on non-free firmware issues so if you have cheaper or nonstandard hardware then things may not work

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

hbag posted:

nevermind

Debian does UEFI just fine

you should use whatever Linux is the most newbie friendly. Ubuntu I guess

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

the good distros are too polished nowadays to give you that real desktop Linux experience. even arch doesn’t make you write an X config, but it’s the best you can do in 2021

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

sb hermit posted:

just start out with ubuntu to see if things work good then use that as a baseline to see how other distros should work

fedora might still be hung up on non-free firmware issues so if you have cheaper or nonstandard hardware then things may not work

it ran mint just fine
and my laptop was like 800 bucks

im trying a few more images before i give up

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

hbag posted:

nevermind

debian runs fine with uefi

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Truga posted:

debian runs fine with uefi

apparently not with my kernel though
im gonna give fedora a shot

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
just stick with mint honestly. the graybeards will tell you it’s trash but it’s by far the distro most likely to work without loving around with non-free firmware, broken repos and other bullshit. if you really want to get “into” it then arch would be your best bet.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

either which way you go you'll be an idiot running a pos os. everywhere online if not irl.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
does ubuntu still force snap or whatever packaging system it uses on you? that alone makes me want to skip it.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
linux? like from jurassic park?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

sb hermit posted:

but does the audio work, at least?

Speaking of, my blue yeti microphone in Linux was for some reason picking up a bunch of feedback only on the right channel. So I had to mix up the left channel to both the left and the right since pulse audio did not offer an option to choose mono for the device.

Pulseeffects (the app I’m using to do this) for some reason does not always pass along the sound stream that it’s modifying to do this though so occasionally I just get nothing even though pulseeffects is still showing the spectrum of the sound when I speak into the microphone. Anything that’s pointing to where the stream should be just gets silence.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Nitrousoxide posted:

Speaking of, my blue yeti microphone in Linux was for some reason picking up a bunch of feedback only on the right channel. So I had to mix up the left channel to both the left and the right since pulse audio did not offer an option to choose mono for the device.

Pulseeffects (the app I’m using to do this) for some reason does not always pass along the sound stream that it’s modifying to do this though so occasionally I just get nothing even though pulseeffects is still showing the spectrum of the sound when I speak into the microphone. Anything that’s pointing to where the stream should be just gets silence.

this os sounds like a real Piece Of poo poo op!!

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Maximum Leader posted:

just stick with mint honestly. the graybeards will tell you it’s trash but it’s by far the distro most likely to work without loving around with non-free firmware, broken repos and other bullshit. if you really want to get “into” it then arch would be your best bet.

afaik mint and elementaryos are both fine but the terribly named pop!os is slightly better if you're reinstalling anyway

it's also an "ubuntu with a few patches" but it's maintained by an actual business (system76) that makes money from selling laptops with the distro preinstalled, so they have an actual reason not to gently caress up too bad

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

fedora.

not particularly interesting really, but redhat realistically remains where linux is defined, and fedora is real good.

also fedora is what Linus himself is using these days

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

yea i installed fedora
its shiny UI pleases my chimp brain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Install slackware OP