Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Capn Beeb posted:

I am so out of the loop and want to upgrade from my old i5 6600k machine. Does this look good to y'all?

It would be better to buy your RAM as a set, if possible, instead of two sets of two, and you could probably save a few dollars here by doing that. You could also save a bit of money on the PSU and get a 750W which would still be plenty of overhead for your build. The 212 cooler is kind of a pain in the arse to install, there's another decent budget option in the Arctic Freezer 34 which comes in various single/dual fan combinations, or for a little more the Scythe Mugen 5 or Fuma 2 are excellent matches for the 5600x. Also regularly scheduled reminder that you don't need to buy Samsung 970s, the sn550 is cheaper and you won't notice any difference in real world performance.

Ajaxify posted:

Extra questions:
* Looks like I could probably get a cheaper mobo but I'd like quality that will last. Wifi and Bluetooth integration would be nice. Any recommendations here?

This doesn't really mean anything. As long as you're getting a b550 board from a decent manufacturer then you have all the board you need. The extra 100% in cost doesn't translate to 100% more reliability or longevity. Also as you're talking about lasting, the chipset fan on x570 boards is small and noisy and more likely to break/get louder over time than passively cooled b550 boards.

Ajaxify posted:

* Also, should I spring for the 3080? I was originally going to, but then I read about the 3080 Ti. Not sure if I should stick with the 3080 and not upgrade to the TI, or get a lesser card now and upgrade when the Ti comes out? The cheapest card Origin has is the 3070, but maybe somewhere else would let me get an even cheaper card. On the other hand, I would like to actually use this Reverb G2 headset before I die. Guess I'm leaning towards the 3080.

The 3080TI is still rumour and speculation and no-one has any idea if or when it's coming out so it's pointless to hold out for it, plus its existence isn't automatically going to make the 3070 or 3080 obsolete overnight. Given your use case the 3070 would be fine but you would see the benefit of a 3080.

Ajaxify posted:

* Other system builder recommendations?

What's going on with your storage? Just get a 2TB sn550 instead of a bunch of small SSDs.

If you're building your own, don't buy windows.

Ajaxify posted:

* RGB is totally worth it right?

Not really.

Ajaxify posted:

I am willing to pay more up front for a longer life of the core machine.

Beyond a certain point, it doesn't work like that. Certainly when you're into the realm of paying $2500+ for a pre built, the extra cash isn't going to make your PC last any longer, you're just paying for the proverbial bells and whistles.

If you're looking for a prebuilt, ibuypower and omen are apparently the best overall value in the states, with cyberpower a decent option too. But as you saw by pricing it out, you'll be paying well over the odds at the higher end of things while losing out on a lot of the granularity. Evidently supply is hosed and just buying a prebuilt could be the easiest way around that but you have to know the caveats going into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ajaxify
May 6, 2009
Thanks very much for the detailed response and reading through all my bullshit. I'm probably going to pull the trigger soon since it's still 2-3 week lead time.

Is it worth getting an opaque case with some sound dampening panels worthwhile or is the thing never going to be quiet so why bother?

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

I typed random avatar and this happened.
During hell lockdown pandemic time, I decided to get a dirt-cheap pc for game emulation and light pc gaming (including classics such as Unreal Tournament, Mechwarrior, Skyrim, etc.) so having been out of PC gaming for decades, finding out about games I've missed seemed like a fun way to pass the time, so I bought a pre-built Lenovo ThinkCentre M92 with a Core i5 3550 CPU, 16GB of DD31600 and added an SSD and an EVGA GTX1650 OC. I built the whole thing for around US$350. Later I installed Steam and found out some modern games run surprisingly well (40-50ish FPS in Skyrim SE at 1440p maxed out, Cyberpunk averages 40ish fps when it's not hitching like crazy at mid to high settings, Rage 2 runs at 1440p at 60 fps, etc.)

Anyways looking around, it seems I can upgrade to a Core i7 3770 for around US$70-80. My questions are:

* Would this be worth it? Based on my crappy, dated pc knowledge, it seems my CPU is bottlenecking the GTX1650, which is a slow card to being with.

* I'm looking for around 25% more performance, especially in PS2 emulation and maybe run a few modern games like Metro Exodus at moderate settings.

* Most of the CPU's I found on eBay come without a cooler, so I should budget for i7 cooler or can I use the same one that cools my current CPU? Overclocking I'd say is out of the question, this being an OEM Lenovo pc.

* I believe both have the same TDP at 77w, and based on Google, other users have donde the same upgrade without issues and some even returning to Lenovo website threads months later to say things are stable and working fine but no one mentions if they changed the cooler.

I'm thinking of using this machine for a year or so and PC parts being what they are, it should serve me for a while...

What do you guys think?

Tactical Grace
May 1, 2008
Hi guys I'm a total pc noob but am realising buying a prebuilt is a saner idea due to the GPU situation.

What did you guys think about this one: https://www.gladiatorpc.co.uk/configure/config/72737

?

Is it reasonable/should I tick any of the upgrade options/upgrade after/not bother buying at all?

It'd just be a fun time pc for me really.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Tactical Grace posted:

Hi guys I'm a total pc noob but am realising buying a prebuilt is a saner idea due to the GPU situation.

What did you guys think about this one: https://www.gladiatorpc.co.uk/configure/config/72737

?

Is it reasonable/should I tick any of the upgrade options/upgrade after/not bother buying at all?

If you can afford that then there are a lot of nice parts in there. I have a very similar set up (B450 board, 3600, RTX 3070, even the F15 case) and I am very happy with all of them.

In a sane world it's very overpriced, but on the other hand, when an RTX 3070 alone is selling for £950 on ebay and it's impossible to buy one at MSRP, then it's up to personal tolerances.

I guess the PSU is only bronze rated, which isn't great, though. Also the SSD is pathetically small, and the HDD probably isn't necessary unless you store a lot of local media. I would personally swap out the SSD for a 1TB M2 NVME drive, and if you really wanted an HDD I'd plump for at least a 2TB one, since the price difference 1TB and 2TB isn't massive. I'd also change that PSU to a gold rated one, you could get away with the 650w easily (I do fine on a 550w). But that pushes the price up to around £1600.

Basically, it's your money, y'know?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Tactical Grace posted:

?

I would bin the HDD and just get a 1TB NVMe. That would put it at £1445.

However, here's what it would cost you with similar parts. Personally I couldn't take the near £400 hit for the sake of convenience/availability, but ymmv.

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

Ajaxify posted:

Is it worth getting an opaque case with some sound dampening panels worthwhile or is the thing never going to be quiet so why bother?
Prioritise ventilation (e.g. the 4000D Airflow or the new Meshify 2 Compact) for a high-end gaming machine. It will be a bit louder at idle than cases that are marketed as quiet but won't need to push the fans as hard to keep temperatures under control when gaming.

What's your budget? There are quite a few things I'd change about the default spec - you might as well buy an eight core CPU at this point and the NVME storage options are brandless, which is a bit off putting.

Tactical Grace
May 1, 2008
It's a luxury purchase and I've just got a new job so my budget is vague but around £1500. The main issue I'm encountering is actually sourcing a GPU.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Ajaxify posted:

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit ($139.88 @ Other World Computing)
* Other system builder recommendations?

Butterfly Valley posted:

If you're building your own, don't buy windows.

To expand on this, go to SA-Mart and buy a Win10 key from one of the sellers there for $15. It's an unused Win7 Pro key, probably from a retired business machine that used KMS or something for licensing. Completely legit and will let you activate Win10 Pro just fine.

Ajaxify
May 6, 2009

CloFan posted:

To expand on this, go to SA-Mart and buy a Win10 key from one of the sellers there for $15. It's an unused Win7 Pro key, probably from a retired business machine that used KMS or something for licensing. Completely legit and will let you activate Win10 Pro just fine.

Thanks, I'll use that if I build my own.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I am sure im not alone here but this GPU shortage is killing me and I really have no idea if it's even possible to get an RTX30x0 anymore. I follow discord, twitter, all the push notification stuff but it just seems like swarms of bots are lightening quick on any stock that shows up and the average human is just no match. Has anyone had any success lately?

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

I was refreshing pages on Best Buy and got the add to cart button before any stock notifications got sent out. Still got queued and told to gently caress off after a few minutes. I'm guessing at this point I will never be able to get a 30 series and have to hope supply can meet demand by the next generation cards.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

cr0y posted:

I am sure im not alone here but this GPU shortage is killing me and I really have no idea if it's even possible to get an RTX30x0 anymore. I follow discord, twitter, all the push notification stuff but it just seems like swarms of bots are lightening quick on any stock that shows up and the average human is just no match. Has anyone had any success lately?

I'm in the UK and as much out of interest as anything else joined a stock discord a few days ago. Basically everything goes immediately - I've managed to get to checkout on Curry's site a couple of times and then it errors out. Based on in stock / out of stock notification timings I might have a chance if I'm up to settle the toddler at 3am and have my phone in my hand right as some stock drops and also have some obscene luck.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Party Boat posted:

I'm in the UK and as much out of interest as anything else joined a stock discord a few days ago. Basically everything goes immediately - I've managed to get to checkout on Curry's site a couple of times and then it errors out. Based on in stock / out of stock notification timings I might have a chance if I'm up to settle the toddler at 3am and have my phone in my hand right as some stock drops and also have some obscene luck.

FYI, I called up scan.co.uk (on the phone, 30minutes on hold) and they had some 3060 Ti in stock, just not listed on their website.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Same, I've joined all the Discord servers rec'd in this thread for a week or so and haven't had any success, even when I do try to take action within the same minute of getting the alert, things are always sold out already. Though, being on multiple servers you can see that the same stock updates result in alerts that are up to 15min apart sometimes, so I guess it's "not surprising" they're always sold out. I just did two more while writing this post, both failures.

I also just tried to go to a Microcenter in person this morning, since their website as of 10:30a said they had 50+ 3060s in stock (for in person purchase only) since today was release day. (I missed out on the one-off 3070 that was there a week or two ago; by the time I got out of work that day it had sold.) When I showed up at 11:15, not only were they totally out of stock, the guy I talked to indicated that they'll always be sold out by 11am anytime they get new GPUs in, regardless of what their site says. He suggested showing up on random Wednesdays and Fridays (there's no schedule, but those are the likely days for restocks) to get in line "by" 7am, 3 hours before store open. I'll pass on getting up at 6am twice a week for the chance to potentially buy a GPU four hours later that will likely not even be the chipset I want, so yeah, I'm also currently thinking it's pretty hopeless.

It does seem like CPUs are getting easier to find (that Microcenter has had 25+ 5600Xs in stock for a week solid), but I think the OP should be edited to be more specific about parts shortages: building non-gaming/mining PCs is totally fine right now, but if you're gaming, you shouldn't bother specing out a system until you have a GPU in hand, because all GPUs newer than 2015 are effectively unavailable. But once you have a GPU, it seems very possible to put together a nice system to put it in.

I kind of feel like stopping the GPU stock alerts and just setting up something to alert me when BTC/ETH/whatever prices crash; will probably give fewer "false positives".

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

Scythe posted:

Same, I've joined all the Discord servers rec'd in this thread for a week or so and haven't had any success, even when I do try to take action within the same minute of getting the alert, things are always sold out already. Though, being on multiple servers you can see that the same stock updates result in alerts that are up to 15min apart sometimes, so I guess it's "not surprising" they're always sold out. I just did two more while writing this post, both failures.

I also just tried to go to a Microcenter in person this morning, since their website as of 10:30a said they had 50+ 3060s in stock (for in person purchase only) since today was release day. (I missed out on the one-off 3070 that was there a week or two ago; by the time I got out of work that day it had sold.) When I showed up at 11:15, not only were they totally out of stock, the guy I talked to indicated that they'll always be sold out by 11am anytime they get new GPUs in, regardless of what their site says. He suggested showing up on random Wednesdays and Fridays (there's no schedule, but those are the likely days for restocks) to get in line "by" 7am, 3 hours before store open. I'll pass on getting up at 6am twice a week for the chance to potentially buy a GPU four hours later that will likely not even be the chipset I want, so yeah, I'm also currently thinking it's pretty hopeless.

It does seem like CPUs are getting easier to find (that Microcenter has had 25+ 5600Xs in stock for a week solid), but I think the OP should be edited to be more specific about parts shortages: building non-gaming/mining PCs is totally fine right now, but if you're gaming, you shouldn't bother specing out a system until you have a GPU in hand, because all GPUs newer than 2015 are effectively unavailable. But once you have a GPU, it seems very possible to put together a nice system to put it in.

I kind of feel like stopping the GPU stock alerts and just setting up something to alert me when BTC/ETH/whatever prices crash; will probably give fewer "false positives".

My local MC supposedly had over 100 people in line for 3060s last night, and I think got maybe around that many cards, according to the unofficial local discord. Sounds exhausting. I keep considering doing the same thing for maybe a 3070 or 3080 on a non-launch night but ugh. The discords have a pretty well-laid out system, but lots of "rules" to learn and what seems like a pretty cliquey crowd.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Slash posted:

FYI, I called up scan.co.uk (on the phone, 30minutes on hold) and they had some 3060 Ti in stock, just not listed on their website.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. Honestly I don't strictly need a new card right now, I think I'm just having a bit of upgrade mania fuelled by staying at home all day. It'll probably pass in a few days.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Scythe posted:

Same, I've joined all the Discord servers rec'd in this thread for a week or so and haven't had any success,

This isn't that long in the scheme of things. Yes the situation sucks but these cards are being bought by people, you just have to be patient and temper your expectations as to how long it will take and not get frustrated by the drops you miss. I got my 3080 at the start of November after being in the discords for a month and a half. It took another month and a bit before I had my 5600x to complete the build. At least the Zen 3 supply is much better now, along with general part availability. Back at the end of last year PSUs and fans were being sold for scalper prices.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
What country are you in?: Denmark
What are you using the system for? Games, mostly - but I go heavy on background apps so I want the extra memory and more threads.
What's your budget? No set limit.
What is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? 3440x1440@100, high or above

I've been hitting the cap on both CPU and Memory more and more often and want to upgrade from my i7-7700k, 16GB. The 1080 Ti is also starting to fall behind my target, but I'll probably hang on to it for a bit longer and move it over to the new system to begin with while waiting to see if the 3080 Ti is real; but I kept the 3080 in the list for power draw.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7 GHz 12-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler (708.00kr @ Proshop)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING B550-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard (1209.00kr @ Proshop)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory (1252.00kr @ Proshop)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (1695.00kr @ Proshop)
Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB TUF GAMING Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Meshify 2 ATX Mid Tower Case (1117.00kr @ Proshop)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (1255.00kr @ Proshop)
Total: 7236.00kr
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-02-25 19:54 CET+0100

Replace the motherboard with the newer Pro:
https://www.asus.com/product-compare?ProductID=15481,14835&LevelId=Motherboards-Components-Motherboards
Which as far as I can tell has the front USB connector that PPP warns about. And I am hoping should not need to be flashed.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

The past couple of weeks have been super sparse for GPU drops. A lot happened today and I didn't get poo poo lol.

You have less than 1hr to sign up for the Newegg shuffle: https://www.newegg.com/product-shuffle

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Butterfly Valley posted:

It would be better to buy your RAM as a set, if possible, instead of two sets of two, and you could probably save a few dollars here by doing that. You could also save a bit of money on the PSU and get a 750W which would still be plenty of overhead for your build. The 212 cooler is kind of a pain in the arse to install, there's another decent budget option in the Arctic Freezer 34 which comes in various single/dual fan combinations, or for a little more the Scythe Mugen 5 or Fuma 2 are excellent matches for the 5600x. Also regularly scheduled reminder that you don't need to buy Samsung 970s, the sn550 is cheaper and you won't notice any difference in real world performance.

Oooh thanks, this cut a nice little chunk out of the total cost :toot:

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Hamburger Test posted:

What country are you in?: Denmark
What are you using the system for? Games, mostly - but I go heavy on background apps so I want the extra memory and more threads.
What's your budget? No set limit.
What is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? 3440x1440@100, high or above

I've been hitting the cap on both CPU and Memory more and more often and want to upgrade from my i7-7700k, 16GB. The 1080 Ti is also starting to fall behind my target, but I'll probably hang on to it for a bit longer and move it over to the new system to begin with while waiting to see if the 3080 Ti is real; but I kept the 3080 in the list for power draw.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7 GHz 12-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler (708.00kr @ Proshop)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING B550-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard (1209.00kr @ Proshop)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory (1252.00kr @ Proshop)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (1695.00kr @ Proshop)
Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB TUF GAMING Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Meshify 2 ATX Mid Tower Case (1117.00kr @ Proshop)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (1255.00kr @ Proshop)
Total: 7236.00kr
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-02-25 19:54 CET+0100

Replace the motherboard with the newer Pro:
https://www.asus.com/product-compare?ProductID=15481,14835&LevelId=Motherboards-Components-Motherboards
Which as far as I can tell has the front USB connector that PPP warns about. And I am hoping should not need to be flashed.
No replies on this so I take it that it looks fine. Two changes that I'll probably be making as I am about to order:
Looks like the Meshify 2 Compact can be found instead of the regular; and it should just fit the CPU cooler.
Hard to find the memory now at that price so I swapped to some Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 C16 DC; so slightly better timings for a slight markup.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Hamburger Test posted:

No replies on this so I take it that it looks fine. Two changes that I'll probably be making as I am about to order:
Looks like the Meshify 2 Compact can be found instead of the regular; and it should just fit the CPU cooler.
Hard to find the memory now at that price so I swapped to some Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 C16 DC; so slightly better timings for a slight markup.

What are "background apps" because more threads isn't going to do much for you unless they are super intensive background apps that utilize many threads. A 5600x is going to work literally just as well at 1440p and save you a bunch of money.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Thom P. Tiers posted:

What are "background apps" because more threads isn't going to do much for you unless they are super intensive background apps that utilize many threads. A 5600x is going to work literally just as well at 1440p and save you a bunch of money.

Usually a stream or two, maybe other games than the one I'm actively playing, a companion app for Path of Exile called Path of Building that loves to hog up resources.

The thinking is that when the 7700k is already not able to cope with it, I'm not sure how long a 5600 would.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good
I managed to fry my GTX-1070 the other day and, having ship of Theseus'd this PC through the past decade, I think its time to retire it to being a media centre PC in the living room.

I've recently come into a decent amount of money and I'm no longer spry/arsed enough to build myself - so I'm looking for a top-ish spec pre-build.

What country are you in?

The UK. Currently looking at Overclockers, Scan and Chillblast but dear god everything has blinking lights on it.

What are you using the system for?

Primarily gaming, but need something capable of handling intensive visual studio projects. I've been spoilt by an i9-9800H / 32GB ram work laptop and even that chugs on occasion. Something that can easily push 4k video to a Valve Index, which my old card failed to do.

What's your budget?

Around £2-3000, with a bit of flex. Another £5-800 for a new 144p / 4k monitor. Probably double what I'd usually spend, but it'd be nice to have something that isn't an x70 compromise for a change.

Current thoughts

ChillBlast:

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/k6Wqgt - Or at least close enough. Doesn't seem like a massive amount of markup.

- Sounds like there's no particular difference between the 5600 and 5800X? Or would it be worth the extra £180.
- 32GB RAM is a must for overhead and context switching.
- No real idea of the differentiation between motherboards (baked in WiFi is a bonus) and coolers - any recommended options?
- I've got some spinning rust lying around I can stick in to bulk out storage if need be so I'm not concerned about that.
- Dear god no blinking lights.

A similar build on overclockers, switching out the 5600 for a 5800x and a Gigabyte version of the 3080 (For £300 more) https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ocuk...LCm3x*.bTiC3U9.

Oh and I'm thinking of buying one of these monitors, they've been reviewed really well: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B083RV6TZ6

I'm very open to other options if you guys have good suggestions, this is just what I've cobbled together over the past day or so. Thanks!

nuh-uh no way
Mar 27, 2010
Looking to upgrade my computer for gaming. I was able to get a good deal on the 10600KF and looking to build around it. I am looking to reuse my case, storage (850 EVO and platter), power supply and video card (for now). I will be looking to upgrade to a 3070 whenever they're available. Thoughts?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-10600KF 4.1 GHz 6-Core Processor ($254.98 @ Newegg Canada)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9i 33.84 CFM CPU Cooler ($53.05 @ Vuugo)
Motherboard: ASRock Z490M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1200 Motherboard ($258.36 @ Amazon Canada)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($104.75 @ Vuugo)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital Blue 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($134.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6 GB WINDFORCE OC Video Card
Case: Thermaltake Core V21 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($87.99 @ PC-Canada)
Power Supply: EVGA GS 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Total: $944.11
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-02-26 13:26 EST-0500

nuh-uh no way fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Feb 26, 2021

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
A 1TB platter drive seems like pretty poor value. What are you planning to put on it? If it's just photos, archiving, etc, bigger and5400rpm is quieter and more cost effective. If you plan to run apps on it, a bigger SSD is a better investment.

nuh-uh no way
Mar 27, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

A 1TB platter drive seems like pretty poor value. What are you planning to put on it? If it's just photos, archiving, etc, bigger and5400rpm is quieter and more cost effective. If you plan to run apps on it, a bigger SSD is a better investment.

I'll edit the post, but the platter drive I already have installed, I would like to add the M.2 drive.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

nuh-uh no way posted:

I'll edit the post, but the platter drive I already have installed, I would like to add the M.2 drive.

You've chosen the wrong one. The sn550 is the standard thread recommendation nvme drive, the one in your list is just a standard ssd in m.2 format.

Build looks fine, are you wedded to that case though? Because it's huge for a mATX case at over 40 litres. If you want to go smaller there's much better options imo (but then I'm biased towards smaller cases, I have an itx build in the nr200)

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Feb 26, 2021

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Sounds like OP has the case based on the platter drive discussion.

I guess you are running Intel so maybe less important but at least for AMD you want the fastest RAM timings you can get (so CL16 instead of 18).

nuh-uh no way
Mar 27, 2010
Thanks, I've made the changes for the M.2 drive and that's the case that I already have. It fits my needs for now and it was easy to build in.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Does anyone have a link to the posts where a goon had a particularly bad time with a build? It's infamous on the forums here. But it's comedy gold.

Crell
Nov 4, 2008

Hot Leggy Blonde, you
got it goin' on.
Can I get a sanity check on this upgrade I'm doing, trying to get it as cheap as possible while using a 3600 basically.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($249.00 @ Canada Computers)
Motherboard: MSI B450M PRO-VDH MAX Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Canada Computers)
Memory: Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($94.99 @ Canada Computers)
Total: $443.98
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-02-26 15:42 EST-0500

I don't need a lot of IO, I have two sata HDDs, one 2.5" sata SSD, one mSATA SSD (looks like I'll need to get a PCIe x1 card for this SSD or an m.2 adapter to make this SSD work), one RX470 graphic card and pretty sure two fan headers will be enough, only have two fans.

I've been recommend to get a b550 board in the past, but there a decent price difference between the two, and I don't see myself upgrading again for a while. I think the biggest bummer is my old Hyper 212 EVO doesn't fit on the 3600 without an adapter/bracket, and it seems that you can't really get those anymore.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
I've had a fan bearing start to go out on my water cooler and am wondering if I can just replace it with whatever (any 120mm fan) or if I need to replace it with a specific speed/pressure fan from the manufacturer.

I have an Enermax Liqtech II with two 120mm fans:

2 Fan Slots (120mm)
Fan Dim. 120 x 120 x 25 mm
Bearing Type Twister Bearing
Fan RPM 500 - 2300 RPM
Fan Air Flow 23.81 - 102.17 CFM
Fan Noise 14 - 28 dBA
Fan Connector 4 Pin PWM
Color Black

I've been trying to find a replacement on the manufacturer webpage, newegg, and amazon and am getting confused between minor differences in product codes. My fans have "UCTBP12P-C", but I can't find that exact part anywhere. I'm sure I'm overthinking this. Can I just grab any fan that is 120mm x 120mm x 25mm? Is that a standardized part across multiple manufacturers?

Would this work?: https://www.amazon.com/Enermax-Silence-Twister-Bearing-UCTB12/dp/B01FRZMFP0?th=1

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

nuh-uh no way posted:

Thanks, I've made the changes for the M.2 drive and that's the case that I already have. It fits my needs for now and it was easy to build in.

Yeah buh sorry I no read good, long week

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

sephiRoth IRA posted:

I've had a fan bearing start to go out on my water cooler and am wondering if I can just replace it with whatever (any 120mm fan) or if I need to replace it with a specific speed/pressure fan from the manufacturer.

I have an Enermax Liqtech II with two 120mm fans:

2 Fan Slots (120mm)
Fan Dim. 120 x 120 x 25 mm
Bearing Type Twister Bearing
Fan RPM 500 - 2300 RPM
Fan Air Flow 23.81 - 102.17 CFM
Fan Noise 14 - 28 dBA
Fan Connector 4 Pin PWM
Color Black

I've been trying to find a replacement on the manufacturer webpage, newegg, and amazon and am getting confused between minor differences in product codes. My fans have "UCTBP12P-C", but I can't find that exact part anywhere. I'm sure I'm overthinking this. Can I just grab any fan that is 120mm x 120mm x 25mm? Is that a standardized part across multiple manufacturers?

Would this work?: https://www.amazon.com/Enermax-Silence-Twister-Bearing-UCTB12/dp/B01FRZMFP0?th=1

There are differences in performance, but the form factor is standardized.

nuh-uh no way
Mar 27, 2010

Butterfly Valley posted:

Yeah buh sorry I no read good, long week

No worries, I appreciate you asking important questions.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Got a 3070 on the way (:toot:), so I've got to make some decisions on mobo and case. I don't think I can afford ITX, as much as I like the form factor. What's your favorite small mATX case? Thinking hard about a Lian Li 205M

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
After some talking with some friends, I swapped my motherboard out. But now I'm running into this problem on pcpartpicker:

Phanteks Eclipse P500A D-RGB ATX Mid Tower Case has a front panel USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type C port that can connect to the ASRock X570 Steel Legend ATX AM4 Motherboard USB 3.2 Gen 1 header. A separate USB 3.2 Gen 1 to USB 3.2 Gen 2 header adapter will be required.

Does this mean the front USB jacks wouldn't work at all, or would be running slower than they could be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Capn Beeb posted:

After some talking with some friends

The more pertinent question is why you're listening to them, when your original board pick had a compatible header and was a great choice for your build, which had nothing that necessitates an x570 board