Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Steakandchips posted:

Jesus gently caress. I googled pictures of it, and it really is almost 7m long.

It looks extremely stupid and is utterly impractical. Where the hell (except in :911: ) will you find space to park it when you go out?

They park at the outside fringes of the parking lots, partly because it requires 2 spots and partly because if it gets dinged scratched or dented they have to buy a brand new one. It's impossible to not look like a complete dong driving one unless you are 6'6" + 300lbs. 12k-20k lbs tow capacity is impressive, in the same way the world's strongest man doing paperwork is impressive.

e: poo poo snipe do not let our Big Wet Boy and his E-Harley story die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Hot take: that’s not him

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Am I reading this right? Is he cutting up Energicas to make sidecar race rigs?

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Gorson posted:

They park at the outside fringes of the parking lots, partly because it requires 2 spots and partly because if it gets dinged scratched or dented they have to buy a brand new one. It's impossible to not look like a complete dong driving one unless you are 6'6" + 300lbs. 12k-20k lbs tow capacity is impressive, in the same way the world's strongest man doing paperwork is impressive.

e: poo poo snipe do not let our Big Wet Boy and his E-Harley story die.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF-N1naN1yE

For reference, Doug is like 6.5 feet tall.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

BIG DRYWALL MAN posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF-N1naN1yE

For reference, Doug is like 6.5 feet tall.

I saw one next to a early 2000's Dodge Caravan the other day and had to do a triple take. It made the Caravan look like a Honda Fit.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Am I reading this right? Is he cutting up Energicas to make sidecar race rigs?

He has eight electric bikes?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It was said earlier in the thread that he got a $150,000 inheritance. That's about right to buy eight electric bikes and a big stupid truck, especially if they're all partially financed

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Pissing away 150k in basically one go on one set of very similar things... This guy is an idiot.

He could have put a down payment down on a house, paid off debts, gotten very nice health insurance ( :911: )...

He pissed it up the wall.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah that’s definitely a “splurge on one bike and put the rest in investments” opportunity that he definitely hosed up lol

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

Go on, take the money and run.
Yes. He purchased 4 Energica... shall we say rolling chassis/power trains. 2 were fully functional, 2 had parts missing but still had batteries/inverters/motors/VCUs/charge managers, etc. They actually were all reflashed to have the Ego VCU meaning the 107kW and 150mph top speed even though they weren't that model originally. None of those 4 came with titles so they were all either destined for track or some other use. I didn't realize he had a Zero as well, but it's a funny idea to use that as the track bike as it's air cooled and overheats rather quickly at track pace, compared to the liquid cooled Energicas which are used in Moto-E and meant for the track. And, you know, the LiveWire is capped at 114mph.

The LS-218 is a terrifyingly unsafe thing that I suspect will kill him because there are no safeties built into the bike of any kind. Exposed battery cells with no housing, etc. I really wish I'd been able to get a closer look at it but all I got was this before Hatfield wheeled it away:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAVzPk0LaH8

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

LodeRunner posted:

Yes. He purchased 4 Energica... shall we say rolling chassis/power trains. 2 were fully functional, 2 had parts missing but still had batteries/inverters/motors/VCUs/charge managers, etc. They actually were all reflashed to have the Ego VCU meaning the 107kW and 150mph top speed even though they weren't that model originally. None of those 4 came with titles so they were all either destined for track or some other use. I didn't realize he had a Zero as well, but it's a funny idea to use that as the track bike as it's air cooled and overheats rather quickly at track pace, compared to the liquid cooled Energicas which are used in Moto-E and meant for the track. And, you know, the LiveWire is capped at 114mph.

The LS-218 is a terrifyingly unsafe thing that I suspect will kill him because there are no safeties built into the bike of any kind. Exposed battery cells with no housing, etc. I really wish I'd been able to get a closer look at it but all I got was this before Hatfield wheeled it away:

JFC if you find a horse head in your bed you know who to blame. What is it with this guy??

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

Hatfield or EVR L lc (the guy on the other end of the phone call)?

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

LodeRunner posted:

Hatfield or EVR L lc (the guy on the other end of the phone call)?

Hatfield, this is the guy that confronted you at the bike show right? After justifiably making GBS threads all over his bike design and safety?

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

Yeah he's a little bit touchy. If you're ever in Hollister go to the Corbin factory and visit the Lightning people!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

LodeRunner posted:

lmao what a piece of poo poo. I will never buy a motorcycle from you, awful snowflake man

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
"I'm super excited to potentially see one of the first LS2s to be delivered in the past... decade."

Is there a way that you can somehow arrange the racing guy to get sponsored by lightning? Is that possible?

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

Sounds like a match made in heaven. But seriously though if he hit a puddle on the LS-218 there's a good chance it will explode.

Also I'm not welcome at Lightning HQ so I don't see a way for me to arrange this.

edit- newest message has arrived

LodeRunner fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Feb 24, 2021

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

LodeRunner posted:

Sounds like a match made in heaven. But seriously though if he hit a puddle on the LS-218 there's a good chance it will explode.

Also I'm not welcome at Lightning HQ so I don't see a way for me to arrange this.

It really does.

What if you put on comedy glasses+groucho marx nose? I think he might not recognize you then. Because that dude is clearly a moron.

Have you actually seen his LS-218? How can you be sure it's not like...

but with an electric bike?

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

I posted a video a couple hours ago which shows at least a chassis on wheels. I never saw it get turned on/throttle applied; Hatfield literally wheeled it away so we couldn't look at it closely.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

LodeRunner posted:

I posted a video a couple hours ago which shows at least a chassis on wheels. I never saw it get turned on/throttle applied; Hatfield literally wheeled it away so we couldn't look at it closely.

Right, but that's someone else's? Not the blackjack and hookers race league guy's.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

LodeRunner posted:

he feared you were going to sabotage it by uhhhhhh leaving it exactly in the state it came from the factory

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I stumbled on this browsing Revzilla but I suspect the actual website provides a much more authentic product experience https://myhogwatch.com/

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

FBS posted:

I stumbled on this browsing Revzilla but I suspect the actual website provides a much more authentic product experience https://myhogwatch.com/

Why would you proudly display an exploded diagram showing the watch is just three pieces of injection molded plastic with, presumably, a 25c chinese action next to a generic immo fob worth $30?

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

builds character posted:

Right, but that's someone else's? Not the blackjack and hookers race league guy's.

No no that's the same person. The yellow bike with the Shamrock on the seat.

edit- he is now spamming this onto every single H-D ad on Facebook. I've counted at least 6 so far because they're in my feed now god help me

LodeRunner fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Feb 25, 2021

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I tried wearing my smallest mechanical watch under my gear once. It was a no-go. Just uncomfortable. I can't find dimensions for that thing on the site except that they say the strap is 26mm, which is loving gigantic as watch poo poo goes. I could get out my calipers and estimate it based on that, but, imma go out on a limb and say that it is not intended to be worn under a protective jacket or gloves.

So I suppose if you layer dan make sure you go down on your left side so you can ride that thing to a stop like you're Legolas the elf doing a shield surf

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

Alright, this could get interesting in a different way. A couple months ago this article was published. It generated a little buzz on the Lightning Facebook page which is basically dead, but that's about it. EVR L lc, our intrepid hero, has necroed the thread.

That's right. A livestream. Or, as he calls it, a Live stream. Who wants to be a part of history?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Phy posted:

I tried wearing my smallest mechanical watch under my gear once. It was a no-go. Just uncomfortable. I can't find dimensions for that thing on the site except that they say the strap is 26mm, which is loving gigantic as watch poo poo goes. I could get out my calipers and estimate it based on that, but, imma go out on a limb and say that it is not intended to be worn under a protective jacket or gloves.

So I suppose if you layer dan make sure you go down on your left side so you can ride that thing to a stop like you're Legolas the elf doing a shield surf

48 mm, 57 mm lug to lug

Not to mention with that stupid crown the size of a wine cork and the nub across the case from it, you couldn’t even flex your hand backward without jabbing yourself in two places.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Phy posted:

They know their target audience prefer leather vests to jackets.

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

I tried

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

You have loads of patience. Keep it up and don't stop feeding us his insane ramblings!

Re Hogwatch. Stupid. Also the keyfob that's supposed to fit in there, it's ginormous. Why can't these vehicle fobs be thinner, smaller, sleeker? This huge chunk of plastic takes up way too much room in my pocket.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Aren't keyfobs essentially miniature computers by now? The way they take in codes and... descramble them and then rescramble them (or something). Or radio transmitters?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

They’re just lil radios that transmit a key based on an algorithm. each time they get a request for a key they move one down in the lookup table, encode the key and transmit it.

It’s not nothing, but it’s not high computing power either.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

They’re just lil radios that transmit a key based on an algorithm. each time they get a request for a key they move one down in the lookup table, encode the key and transmit it.

It’s not nothing, but it’s not high computing power either.

Aye and the radio and chip etc don't need to be encased in a massive plastic housing that's about the size of a quarter of a large iPhone. It's a stupidly large fob. In contrast, my fob for my bike tracker is about 1/4 of the size of the H-D fob.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Oh agreed. My dad has one of the keyless Harley’s and you aren’t kidding. The fob is like half a hockey puck

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

They are for people with arthritic hands that can't close more than halfway

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Normal immobiliser keys like in a car or Honda's HISS (I'm a snake boyzzz) have a very short transmitter range, the receiver is in the plastic ring surrounding the keyhole. The Harley hockey puck has a 2m range iirc, the receiver is buried under the battery, it's purpose is so you can leave the ignition toggle switch unlocked and someone can't just start it up and ride away. So no fiddling with keys etc, just stumble out of the pub and ride away like a boss.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Normal immobiliser keys like in a car or Honda's HISS (I'm a snake boyzzz) have a very short transmitter range, the receiver is in the plastic ring surrounding the keyhole. The Harley hockey puck has a 2m range iirc, the receiver is buried under the battery, it's purpose is so you can leave the ignition toggle switch unlocked and someone can't just start it up and ride away. So no fiddling with keys etc, just stumble out of the pub and ride away like a boss.

1m-ish. Placed it on a wall next to the bike and the alarm went off when I tried to manoeuvre it.

Also yes, it's super handy for once walking out the door with your helmet and gloves on, you don't need to un-glove, open zip, find key, fumble with hole etc.

Sagebrush posted:

They are for people with arthritic hands that can't close more than halfway

I have arthritis (very well managed now though, fingers feel 100% fine i.e. totally non-arthritic), but if it was flaring up again (e.g. if I wasn't on my current excellent meds) to the point where some fingers on my right hand were enflamed, I can see this being useful in that scenario; fumbling for a key in your pockets with arthritic fingers is no fun, especially if they don't like to bend too much.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Slavvy posted:

I'm not sure where the receiver is on my Ducati, but on the BMW it's in the tail section. There's actually a protrusion on the rear mudguard/plastic bit under the subframe that's there to press the "emergency" battery-less spare RFID key against in case the battery in your fob dies on you in the middle of nowhere. I'd say a 1m-ish range is about right for both of them, and the fob's signal isn't very strong. Neither bike can detect it if I drop it into a tank bag unless it's an exterior pocket. Chest pocket on a jacket is fine, pants pocket, iffy.

BMW were also silly enough to make the gas cap lock keyless, so again, if your fob dies/stops working you have to dig out the emergency key to fuel up. It also won't open unless the ignition switch is turned off - thumbing the kill switch alone won't do it. I've lost track of how many times I've pulled up to the pump, hit the kill switch, and fumbled about cursing the gas cap for a few seconds before I realize the electrics are still on.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Not sure I understand the topic discussed here but it sounds like he's making up words to describe types of sidecars? Upright downlow and enclosed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Jazzzzz posted:

I'm not sure where the receiver is on my Ducati, but on the BMW it's in the tail section. There's actually a protrusion on the rear mudguard/plastic bit under the subframe that's there to press the "emergency" battery-less spare RFID key against in case the battery in your fob dies on you in the middle of nowhere. I'd say a 1m-ish range is about right for both of them, and the fob's signal isn't very strong. Neither bike can detect it if I drop it into a tank bag unless it's an exterior pocket. Chest pocket on a jacket is fine, pants pocket, iffy.

BMW were also silly enough to make the gas cap lock keyless, so again, if your fob dies/stops working you have to dig out the emergency key to fuel up. It also won't open unless the ignition switch is turned off - thumbing the kill switch alone won't do it. I've lost track of how many times I've pulled up to the pump, hit the kill switch, and fumbled about cursing the gas cap for a few seconds before I realize the electrics are still on.

If the H-D fob dies, I can type in a 5 digit passcode to start the bike. I have made sure I programmed it in (I imagine most H-D owners neglect to do this).

The gas cap is keyless and lockless; just twist, remove, fill up, reinsert gas cap, twist till it clicks and ride off.