Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

If you ignore Slifer's atk gaining effect and focus on the one that nukes atk position monsters as they hit the field, you could hypothetically design a pretty cool control strategy around it. It just needs some defensive support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
i was going to say "didn't they just do an Egyptian Gods structure deck a while back?" but then i realised i was thinking of the one for GX's Sacred Beasts

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Skeleton Mom posted:

If you ignore Slifer's atk gaining effect and focus on the one that nukes atk position monsters as they hit the field, you could hypothetically design a pretty cool control strategy around it. It just needs some defensive support.
Huh. That's an interesting idea. If you could get it down first turn, autokilling any combo piece with less than 2K attack that hits the field would be an extremely solid floodgate.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
There's also a neat little bonus to them in that they're basically immune to a lot of type or attribute-focused forms of removal or control, too, thanks to the Divine Beast unique bits.

That's not really a selling point in and of themselves, but it dodges stuff like Super-Polymerization really well, and weaves past a few other floodgates.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Cleretic posted:

We're getting Slifer and Obelisk structure decks in June. Includes a bunch of exclusive support cards from the OCG's Prismatic God Box.

I can't decide if this is the best or the worst way to get ex-players back in. On one hand, the God Cards are famously garbage-rear end, and the support hasn't really helped them a whole lot, so we're not exactly giving those returners good cards. But on the other hand I genuinely can't think of a better product to get ex-players from the Duel Monsters days interested again than a ready-made deck built to slap down an Egyptian God.

I'm definitely bookmarking this as a ready-to-deploy gag gift for a very specific demographic of friends.

Just focus on keeping the game fun for them if you do. So if they're playing with a God deck, play against them with Charmers or something. If they enjoy the game enough to want to keep playing and build real decks, then you can start worrying about card power.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Honestly it’s only fair, Ra has had specific support for ages.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I honestly might bye those, itd be a good nostalgia bait for me and my friends. Also buying a premade deck is so much easier then making one yourself lol

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Lord_Magmar posted:

Honestly it’s only fair, Ra has had specific support for ages.

There is a side set that might be RA themed or at least have RA support.

Konami loves RA and I don’t get it

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

It's not so much that Konami loves Ra as it is that Ra-as-printed is missing like, all of the stuff it could do in the anime, so they had to give it a ton of support to give it those effects.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Ra was also clearly the worst one in a vacuum, it needed all the help it could get. Two of its effects were in direct competition with each other, one costing lifepoints to use and the other making it so you have no lifepoints left to spend. It was a mess.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
yeah ra is just bad even if it wasn't a massive pain to summon, while obelisk and to a lesser extent slifer are actually decent apart from being completely impossible to get out

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I splashed a few gods into my Monarch deck a few years back because it wasnt the worst to summon them.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Speaking of Monarchs, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lU4dtPekyO8

MBT's latest 'let's unban everything and see what happens' video has a stunning twist where The Monarchs Erupt wins every single game because the strongest part of Master Peace is that you can Tribute Summon it.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Is Exodia still around, asking from my memories

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yes he even got support a couple years back.

They are okay but nothing special.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

exodia is only good if you can draw your whole deck without being disrupted, and there are less inconsistent strategies based on doing that, and they are all bad because the vast majority of decks play at least some way of preventing their opponent from doing something

this is especially true in this metagame when everybody's third eye opened and droll & lock bird became the most common hand trap again

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
During the early link format I did see a pretty cool normal monster supported link spam deck that used exodia pieces and stuff like tri-wight. It didn't run the head because it was a brick XD

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Ah yeah treasure panda turbo

Droll and lock is a card that is good depending on the format so it will stop seeing play for a bit eventually.

Sadly it will exist as long as it fucks Drytron and weakens Bird up.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

The last time I really paid attention to Yugioh was early 5D's era (08-09 jfc) and I looked through the ban list just for nostalgia sake

they really unbanned Chaos Emperor Dragon? RIP to the OG banhammer

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

The last time I really paid attention to Yugioh was early 5D's era (08-09 jfc) and I looked through the ban list just for nostalgia sake

they really unbanned Chaos Emperor Dragon? RIP to the OG banhammer

It has an errata now, the card is basically unplayable in modern yugioh.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

yeah it's always fun telling older players that CED is unlimited and nobody plays it so that they start wildly speculating about how insane the game has to be now for that to be the case

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Original CED would probably still be broken, even if it didn't have actual mountains of Chaos support. Hope you've got an Effect Veiler in hand!

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I honestly wonder how broken original CED would be in modern Yugioh sometimes. Between the ridiculous amount of negation effects, hand traps, and cards that play from the graveyard in modern Yugioh, how useful would it really be?

I mean, it would still be strong, but I'm thinking it wouldn't nearly be the I WIN card that it used to be.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

To be honest it would be more broken in modern Yu gi oh.

Hand looping is always powerful and the ability to set up beforehand would be insane.

There was a period of time where it did suck when priority was done away with but set up changes everything.

Gumblar loop was meta and it was just hand looping with a lot of extra teps

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Pre-eratta CED would absolutely be played. It's searchable with Melody of Awakening Dragon or Chaos Space & a good modern chaos deck can just play out of their gy after using the effect, leaving no fear of being left in "topdeck mode".

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

CharlestheHammer posted:

To be honest it would be more broken in modern Yu gi oh.

Hand looping is always powerful and the ability to set up beforehand would be insane.

There was a period of time where it did suck when priority was done away with but set up changes everything.

Gumblar loop was meta and it was just hand looping with a lot of extra teps

The progression series is also doing a pretty good job of showing that, even with priority, pre-errata CED couldn't really keep up for a while. There was a good while where Chaos just wasn't super viable, when archetypes were starting to become a big focus (as well as, y'know, good) but none of them had the Light/Dark balance Chaos needed. So there's a good stretch there where... yeah, CED was still a nuclear bomb, but the game around him sped up while CED himself couldn't join in.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Feb 28, 2021

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

In fairness, the limited-esque format of a progression series makes the 'topdeck war' that a CED produces a lot less favourable than a constructed environment, where it sets up either a yata lock or 'i topdeck BLS against your random Blackwing [that isn't Blizzard]'

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

I remember when the top decks were Lightsworn and DAD and all that stuff. Is any of the "classic" stuff still playable nowadays?

All the new summoning mechanics since then seem wild

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Feb 28, 2021

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I remember when the top decks were Lightsworn and DAD and all that stuff. Is any of the "classic" stuff still playable nowadays?

All the new summoning mechanics since then seem wild

They might* be legal, but they sure as poo poo won't be successful.

*There is a real possibility these decks have cards on the banlist.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Depends on what you mean by playable. Can you take a light sworn deck to locals and do fine? Yeah. Higher level play probably not but the number of players who engage in that level are a fraction of the base

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

King of Solomon posted:

They might* be legal, but they sure as poo poo won't be successful.

*There is a real possibility these decks have cards on the banlist.

For what it's worth, there are no Lightsworn cards on the banlist, and DAD is also not on the banlist (but did get an errata to take him off). I can't speak for cards that supported them that don't have it in their names though.

For a more elaborate answer on these, while neither is a meta deck...

Lightsworn is far from neglected, and has a 'support archetype' or two that works well with it (specifically, Twilightsworn I know works very well). You're probably not winning big-deal tournaments with it, but it's a respectable deck you'll see every so often, and I wouldn't be surprised to see it get some proper attention in the next few sets.

Dark Armed Dragon is now at 3 per deck, and very rarely are people actually playing three copies. It's definitely moved from being the end state of a deck to just being a decent support card for decks that like playing with Darks in the graveyard/getting banished. He's not a card you see all too often--even decks that do play with that stuff prefer something more directly useful, since DAD flickers very quickly from 'usable' to 'completely dead in the hand'--but you wouldn't laugh someone out of the room for playing it.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Feb 28, 2021

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

To be fair DAD was best in Teledad format and the best cards in that deck are either banned or limited and they probably will never leave that list

RIP emergency teleport and return from a different dimension

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Lightsworn is one of the archetypes that teeters on the fringe of playability based on how recently decent support cards for the deck were printed, like some other old decks built around a fundamentally good strategy that get new cards every so often. self-mill is an inherently powerful mechanic, even moreso these days.

That said, their aesthetic and general gameplay style is slightly overlapping with the design team (and art team)'s current baby, Dogmatika, so I don't expect them to see a resurgence any time soon.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

ungulateman posted:

self-mill is an inherently powerful mechanic, even moreso these days.
Yeah, this is why Lightsworn is an archetype that will never be completely unviable, even if just as an engine. The old cards were designed back in a time when "mill from the top of your deck" was a cost, not a benefit.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

ungulateman posted:

That said, their aesthetic and general gameplay style is slightly overlapping with the design team (and art team)'s current baby, Dogmatika, so I don't expect them to see a resurgence any time soon.

Dogmatika is so beloved by the designers that it's actually difficult not even to play against, but to try to comprehend on a 'midway-joining player' level. Basically every time I've bought cards over the year since I've gotten back into the game, I've gotten Dogmatika cards, but I've never gotten usable Dogmatika cards. I just get more and more of what looks like support for a core that I completely missed, and I'm not even sure what that core could look like.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Cleretic posted:

Dogmatika is so beloved by the designers that it's actually difficult not even to play against, but to try to comprehend on a 'midway-joining player' level. Basically every time I've bought cards over the year since I've gotten back into the game, I've gotten Dogmatika cards, but I've never gotten usable Dogmatika cards. I just get more and more of what looks like support for a core that I completely missed, and I'm not even sure what that core could look like.

The core is generally Nadir Servant, Ecclesia, Fleur-de-lis, and Punishment, with Titanklad in the extra. Sometimes people play Maximus.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Cleretic posted:

DAD is also not on the banlist (but did get an errata to take him off).

Dark Armed Dragon never got an errata. You might be mixing it up with Chaos Emperor Dragon or Red-Eyes Darkness Metal Dragon.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I think the dino or zombie structure decks are still pretty good for newbies. Very strong boss monsters and support with not overly complicated strategies.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Really hoping Abhyss end up being good. The tribute summoning from the graveyard and constant resurrection seems like a fun gimmick. Plus they're all Light and DArk so you can splash a lot of other poo poo in with them.

Doremichord being about pendulum summoning without actually pendulum summoning is such a weird niche. Hope they're at least fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Charles Bukowski posted:

I think the dino or zombie structure decks are still pretty good for newbies. Very strong boss monsters and support with not overly complicated strategies.

Despite people talking about power creep dinos are still tier 2 at worst 4 years later.

Like if you want to make a run at competitive Yu gi oh on a budget dinos are the best by a mile