Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Pierre McGuire
Oct 30, 2010
"is Edelgard actually Stannis Baratheon/Daenerys Targaryen" - the most controversial thread in the history of forums,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

I've been playing GBA FEs recently, and I wish Three Houses had a pirate class.

I want Hilda with a head bandana wielding double axes.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Inu posted:

I've been playing GBA FEs recently, and I wish Three Houses had a pirate class.

I want Hilda with a head bandana wielding double axes.

The only thing better than an axe, is two axes.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Pierre McGuire posted:

"is Edelgard actually Stannis Baratheon/Daenerys Targaryen" - the most controversial thread in the history of forums,

https://twitter.com/jonjonnington/status/1184690372636823553

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Zore posted:

The real biggest issue with AM is it tries to unironically go 'If the King is bad, the people will replace him' right after like a dozen chapters showing literally the opposite of that where Dimitri's friends and supporters are all super concerned about about him but sort of happily follow him on a suicide mission of vengeance and torture. The only real pushback he even gets is Byleth murdering a prisoner of war before he can gruesomely torture them.

And all of this is predicated on the fact that he's hallucinating and believing something that is explicitly not real.

Like goddamn, if he doesn't count as a lovely king that people should be giving pushback against at the point who in the gently caress would? AM would be way stronger and more coherent as a route if the others had abandoned him or given him an ultimatum before his big personal revelation instead of meekly just going along with everything and hoping it worked out. Also if he had abdicated and passed the throne to someone who was better at ruling.

Like I think AM has a decent emotional arc but it is absolute character assassination for most of the Blue Lions and makes them horrific cowards who undermine its supposed message.

There's cut content where Felix and Annette both abandon Dimitri and you fight them at Arianrhod. I feel like there could have been something interesting there.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Epi Lepi posted:

There's cut content where Felix and Annette both abandon Dimitri and you fight them at Arianrhod. I feel like there could have been something interesting there.
There's a whole slew of interesting cut content that still findable if you datamine the game. Like, there's a conversation between Claude and enemy Lorenz at Myrrdin in Verdant Wind, suggesting that at one point in development, you'd have to recruit Lorenz back into the Golden Deer in the same vein you recruit Ashe back into your party on VW/SS.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

These are all valid criticisms, but I still like Azure Moon the best out of all the route? :shrug:

Like yeah, I'd like to have seen more pushback from the Blue Lions but I got the sense that most of them see Dimitri as their friend rather than King and half the reason they followed him was because he was going to Enbar, with or without them, and didn't want to see him die in a suicidal charge which is what happens in VW. It's especially stupid that Dedue has a death flag because he out of all of the Blue Lions has the deepest connection to Dimitri and could have played a big role in redeeming Dimitri. And I'd really like to have dealt with the Slithers in a more direct way, rather than killing off most of their leadership or getting that Dimitri/Hapi ending slide, since they were the true culprits behind the Tragedy of Duscur.

And I didn't really see AM as a "return to status quo" either, since Dimitri as far back as the academy phase also had issue with the Crest System as it was (he thinks Miklan shouldn't have lost his status because he was born without a Crest), but he rather than thinking to abolish it he wanted people with and without Crests to acknowledge each other and learn to respect one another on personal merit, and he extends that to lineage, race, ideology, and faith. Naive, maybe, but I don't think he was going to keep Fodlan exactly as it was before the war

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Feb 24, 2021

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Hellioning posted:

One day Fire Emblem will have a main character create a republic. One day.

A couple of Fire Emblem nations fit the definition of Republic if you squint a little -and are familiar with medieval and antiquity conceptions of it originally- and there's Carcino in FE8 straight up.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I do find it kind of funny that 3 Houses codified that there are 2 main types of Fire Emblem Protagonist;

1) Noble
2) Product of ages long experiment to revive a dragon god

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Azure moon is basically the villian route which could be fine but I feel like they pulled their punches way to hard which undercuts anything interesting so it’s just a bland route

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Zore posted:

I do find it kind of funny that 3 Houses codified that there are 2 main types of Fire Emblem Protagonist;

1) Noble
2) Product of ages long experiment to revive a dragon god

And, of course, 3) Ike.

Unless I'm misremembering the plot of Radiant Dawn? There's definitely some vessel poo poo, but I think it's restricted to Mist and Micaiah and that god wasn't even a dragon!

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

And, of course, 3) Ike.

Unless I'm misremembering the plot of Radiant Dawn? There's definitely some vessel poo poo, but I think it's restricted to Mist and Micaiah and that god wasn't even a dragon!

Wasn't Ike's mom really important to the whole plot/everything that went down? Like a high priestess or something.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
There was definitely some lore poo poo in his mysterious family origins but I think Mist inherited all that, and Ike's draw was just being a guy who could sword good while not being racist.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

Azure moon is basically the villian route which could be fine but I feel like they pulled their punches way to hard which undercuts anything interesting so it’s just a bland route

Even the Edelgard simps on the dev team who willed CF into existence aren't deranged enough to call the most generic good guy route the villain perspective

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Perfect Potato posted:

Even the Edelgard simps on the dev team who willed CF into existence aren't deranged enough to call the most generic good guy route the villain perspective

I mean yeah but we aren’t talking about Claude. Claude is pretty boring guy.

Man Dmintri being the final boss of AM woukd have been cool. Playing up the tragic angle could have given it a way to make it one of the more unique routes.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Perfect Potato posted:

Society is the real villain

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean yeah but we aren’t talking about Claude. Claude is pretty boring guy.

Man Dmintri being the final boss of AM woukd have been cool. Playing up the tragic angle could have given it a way to make it one of the more unique routes.

I’d rather not have a story where someone with clear PTSD issues end with him having to be put down like some rabid animal

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

SgtSteel91 posted:

I’d rather not have a story where someone with clear PTSD issues end with him having to be put down like some rabid animal

You mean like you do to Edelgard?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Someone should make that 'Seteth, Ace Therapist' game. That's the real golden ending.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

You mean like you do to Edelgard?

No, cause CF doesn't end with you fighting Edelgard

It's also why I'm not a fan of Having to fight Rhea at the end of Silver Snow and kill her if you don't have an A-Rank with her

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Feb 25, 2021

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

SgtSteel91 posted:

And Rhea in Silver Snow, tbh

Rhea in both endings where she's the final boss, really. Everything to do with Edelgard's rebellion, especially with Byleth joining, is essentially 'hey remember that time almost your entire race died? Something very similar is happening again!'

This is why Claude is the best lord.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

SgtSteel91 posted:

I mean Dmitris path already depicts sanity in a cartoonish way might as well go all the way instead of half assing it. Though o don’t like the game using that excuse anyway so might asvwelll cut it as well

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Feb 25, 2021

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Hellioning posted:

Rhea in both endings where she's the final boss, really. Everything to do with Edelgard's rebellion, especially with Byleth joining, is essentially 'hey remember that time almost your entire race died? Something very similar is happening again!'

This is why Claude is the best lord.

Eh I've always kept the read that Nemesis did something most humanity really liked that even after all he did, he still is cast as a fallen hero and not just pure evil when his enemy wrote history. As well we know the dragons were alien invaders who lorded over humanity, and going by Rhea, not kindly. I always took the original Agarthan war to be more....even in it's 'villains and heroes'. Like it doesn't excuse them, but it explains everything as a pure cycle of violence that never gets broken.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Eimi posted:

Wasn't Ike's mom really important to the whole plot/everything that went down? Like a high priestess or something.

His mom was unusually order-y so she (and Mist) could hold the medallion, but otherwise she was a random priestess at a random shrine they decided to hide a heron in who befriended the heron.

Greil was more special as a former Rider, but considering Riders of Daein explicitly don't have to be nobility of Daein, there's nothing that really makes Ike's parents special other than not being evil and being at the right place at the right time.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

SgtSteel91 posted:

You know, you can defeat someone in battle and not kill them.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Eimi posted:

Yeah,but that's not what made her special

It was the rare concept of "obtained inner peace"

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Natural 20 posted:

You know, you can defeat someone in battle and not kill them.

I know, but I wasn't getting that sense from the OP

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

SgtSteel91 posted:

No, cause CF doesn't end with you fighting Edelgard

It's also why I'm not a fan of Having to fight Rhea at the end of Silver Snow and kill her if you don't have an A-Rank with her

This is my final spoiler! The last thing I didn't know about this game! I haven't finished SS and I did not know this and now I'm massively regretting already getting to A with murderpope. I was never gonna marry her, I just wanted to see her scenes! I didn't know there was more content!.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Eimi posted:

Eh I've always kept the read that Nemesis did something most humanity really liked that even after all he did, he still is cast as a fallen hero and not just pure evil when his enemy wrote history. As well we know the dragons were alien invaders who lorded over humanity, and going by Rhea, not kindly. I always took the original Agarthan war to be more....even in it's 'villains and heroes'. Like it doesn't excuse them, but it explains everything as a pure cycle of violence that never gets broken.

As much as they were the weak link in the story who would have been better cut, the Agarthans really could have used a scene where they lay out their own version of events. Are they and modern surface people descended from the same original human population? Why do they seem to hate surface humans as much as dragons? How do they justify their war with Sothis? Do they even know what's going on or are they working of half-forgotten legends like the three lords are?

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

galagazombie posted:

As much as they were the weak link in the story who would have been better cut, the Agarthans really could have used a scene where they lay out their own version of events. Are they and modern surface people descended from the same original human population? Why do they seem to hate surface humans as much as dragons? How do they justify their war with Sothis? Do they even know what's going on or are they working of half-forgotten legends like the three lords are?

They sort of get it in the Shadow Library in the Cindered Shadows DLC. There's some gnarly stuff in there implying that Sothis was possibly wiping out entire continents over the course of the war and that the surviving Agarthans retreated underground to weather a cataclysmic flood she caused. As for their hatred for humans on the surface, we can see that none of the named Agarthan characters resemble normal humans, least of all Solon, so it's possible that they've diverged so radically either through dark magic or evil science or whatever that they no longer see the simple, primitive humans living on the surface as being the same species as them. The library documents, as well, are written with the sort of over-the-top religious apocalypse fervor that suggests the Agarthans' version of events has become a very murky mythology, making them basically the postapocalyptic cargo cult of a technologically advanced society in addition to its direct descendants:

Romance of the World's Perdition
"In the land of Thinis, where the old gods are said to live, the False God has awakened. Its looming, heteromorphic vessel was ressurected to sink the world to the depths of the ocean. It will bring extinction to all children of men, and salvation to all beasts of the land, sky and sea. For the children of men who spilled too much of the blood of life, it promises only cruel retribution.

The False God must be defeated before the world sinks into a watery grave. To this end, the children of men have erected pillars of light upon the land. Thinis, Malum, Septen and Llium were utterly destroyed. Those lands have vanished from this world. Yet even still, the False God stands. And soon, a flood aptly named Despair will drown this world.

The children of men fled to the depths of the earth, beyond the sight of the False God, beyond the entrance of the sacred sun, and beyond the reach of the water of Despair. They swore a fervent oath of revenge against the surface world, ruled by beasts, and against their tormentor, the False God."

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Yeah the Agarthans definitely started it.

Well Manicured Man fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Feb 25, 2021

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
There's also another document somewhere that implies its an admission from the Agarthan side that they fired first, after being forewarned by Sothis over some sort've abuse they carried on

Edit: I might actually be misremembering parts of the above document, but yeah one of the things that's noteworthy about it is still it implies their usage of nukes might have be part of what destroyed entire continents

Rimusutera fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Feb 25, 2021

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Eimi posted:

Even if that's true, I think I can forgive Rhea for not forgiving the people who nearly genocided her race, even if it was in retaliation.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
When I started to play Three Houses I read a guide called something like "20 things I wish I'd known before I played Three Houses" and I've come to the conclusion that I don't agree with the guide. Because it shows you how to play the game with the greatest possible efficient use of game time and the LEAST efficient use of your own personal time. For instance it advises against the use of Seminars which boost motivation and stats but eat up a week.

e: I've played for 115h and still have barely any idea what's happening.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Prurient Squid posted:

Because it shows you how to play the game with the greatest possible efficient use of game time and the LEAST efficient use of your own personal time.
is this not how you're supposed to play all video games

have i been doing something wrong all this time

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Well Manicured Man posted:

Romance of the World's Perdition

I think an important piece of context to remember here is that when it says "salvation to the beasts of the land," that is also their category for humans who aren't Agarthans. Whatever Sothis was doing wasn't going to wipe out humanity, even if it may well have been harmful to Agarthans specifically. Thales' last line in the routes where you invade Shambhala is crying out against the Nabateans for "stealing their light," whatever that means. Possibly whatever forced them underground?

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Feb 25, 2021

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.

It's very rude of me to say this but that art reminds me of the martians from Mars Attacks.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Prurient Squid posted:

For instance it advises against the use of Seminars which boost motivation and stats but eat up a week.

Yeah seminars are bad. A lot of the monastery stuff you're missing out if you do that are much better to focus on.

You're playing a video game, if you're wasting too much real time save and go do something else.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Counterpoint: Seminars are great because they take 10 seconds and grant a lot of what you want from a week anyway.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Yeah in the later stages of Part 2 where your supports are all good, you've done one monastery trip that month for the dialogue and you dont really need to level up, Seminars are a good quick option to get you to the next story battle while being far less useless than Rest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
There's other things like cooking stat boosting meals to worry about that are really powerful, gardening for stat boosters, and getting Byleth's ranks up that all matter if you're playing optimally. There's not a point in the game where seminars are ever a reasonable option to do if you care about leveraging the actual resources you have available to you to beat the game.

Unless ones playing on like Normal I guess, in which case everything matters a whole lot less.