Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Apparently after killing the last boss you get spawns from the last biome in Meadows at night. I didn't expect to have to murder ten of those guys on my leisurely stroll home, a while ago that would probably have made for a miserable corpse run.

Edit: Unrelated but how the gently caress is this stable, I thought stone needs to rest on stone

Vanadium fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Feb 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Ambaire posted:

Got my first "the ground is shaking" invasion. A single troll spawned on the far side of my moat and wandered around aimlessly while I arrowed it to death. A second one spawned, took a few shots, then fled. And then the invasion ended. Seems the walled moat is a great success.

Yeah, building fortifications really pays off. Especially as you kill more and more bosses.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Vanadium posted:

I suspect I will once we get there on my new server, but how is your deathsquito situation? Do they not aggro from outside the base the moment you poke your head over those walls?

You're blowing my mind here, I was not going to believe this but it seems to roughly check out.

I honestly had quite a few deaths in the process of clearing & setting up the base solo, but I have workbenches along the fence and deathsquito aggro range isn't that far. You do get attacked very quickly after stepping outside the walls though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Some patch notes:

quote:

Hello Valheimers!
Todays patch has some major changes, the biggest change is the updated socket backend which should improve connection issues for a lot of players. Vulkan support as been enabled in Windows builds and can be enabled for now by adding "-force-vulkan" as a launch option in Steam properties for Valheim. This might fix some random crashes related to GPU drivers. World corruption caused by loging out and and the same time pressing ALT+F4 has been fixed. Some balancing fixes was made on bosses to make them more challenging ( u guys are killing them too fast ).

NOTE: Due to changes in character save data, once a character has been loaded & saved in this new version, they can no longer be loaded in an older version of valheim.

* Crafting item-dupe bug fix
* Harpooned player & ship bug fix
* Fixed player ragdoll
* Bonemass,Moder,Yagluth difficulty tweaks
* Moder music updated
* Tombstone bugfix (probably wont fix disappearing tombstones though)
* Fixed world corruption caused by pressing ALT+F4 while logging out.
* Deathsquitos have slightly longer audio range
* Tweaked audio on blast-furnace & spinning wheel
* Shared map position setting is saved per world
* Updated network stats (F2)
* Building destruction drop-fix
* Vulkan support in windows builds
* Network disconnection bugfix
* Updated socket-backend

Seems like some very nice adjustments, except maybe the boss fight tweaks.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
The blast furnace and spinning wheel audio was my only bug report so I'm glad it's been taken care of

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I wish they had the map position setting when I was playing, every time someone logs on or visit another instance it's constantly "hey turn your marker on"

And I do agree that Moder and Yagluth fights were kind of anticlimactic, dunno if I want to do them again though.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Moder and Yagluth have very broken AI, I would like to see them fix that before they start tweaking them.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Got roped into buying this by friends, probably the worst offender of flavour of the week I’ve seen in a long time. Does absolutely nothing that 50 other survival crafting games havent already done

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

funny enough, a game can do absolutely nothing unique or new, but still combine mechanics and style into a package that just clicks

For me it's the storms. They did an amazing job on the weather, and hunkering down in a safe house you built in the wilderness while a white-out blizzard rages around you or waves and lightning come crashing in is great

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I know the first boss was pretty underwhelming given what I had been preparing for, but them deciding to buff up bosses instead of maybe flatten out difficulty spikes at say, swamp or plains doesn't fill me with hope that they'll give us options to customize our own experience ala Conan Exiles sliders or 7 Days to Die editing.

That said, it's suddenly an extremely popular game so I'm sure mods will be plentiful.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

Saxophone posted:

I know the first boss was pretty underwhelming given what I had been preparing for, but them deciding to buff up bosses instead of maybe flatten out difficulty spikes at say, swamp or plains doesn't fill me with hope that they'll give us options to customize our own experience ala Conan Exiles sliders or 7 Days to Die editing.

That said, it's suddenly an extremely popular game so I'm sure mods will be plentiful.

The notes say tweaks to the 3 bosses, why do you think that means buffs? It could be lowering bonemass and raising the others.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

ClassH posted:

The notes say tweaks to the 3 bosses, why do you think that means buffs? It could be lowering bonemass and raising the others.

Because

quote:

Some balancing fixes was made on bosses to make them more challenging ( u guys are killing them too fast ).

does not sound like they're lowering or nerfing anything.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

Saxophone posted:

Because

does not sound like they're lowering or nerfing anything.

Ahh missed that line.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

The terrain deformation, very generous object collision for building parts, lots of freedom for snapping, rotating, and freely placing parts while still connecting to other parts, and parts small enough for detailing a building are all huge features for me and it’s fantastic that they’re all in one game. My only wish is for more half-size pieces and roof pieces.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Still love the game, but I'm very much getting the impression that it was designed and balanced around a group of two to five rather than a solo experience. Which is perfectly fine well and good but I'm hoping maybe down the line will get some sliders or an editable text document or something that lets us customize our experience. I know Conan's Exiles went from grindy survival to fun buildy romp after adjusting harvesting yields and mob damage (loving hyenas).

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Are swamps supposed to be this loving small. Im trying to find out where this swamp key goes and all the swamps biomes i find are like... tiny.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Saxophone posted:

Still love the game, but I'm very much getting the impression that it was designed and balanced around a group of two to five rather than a solo experience. Which is perfectly fine well and good but I'm hoping maybe down the line will get some sliders or an editable text document or something that lets us customize our experience. I know Conan's Exiles went from grindy survival to fun buildy romp after adjusting harvesting yields and mob damage (loving hyenas).

Yeah it's really not a solo thing. A solo server option with modified item costs/metal spawns would be a welcome addition at some point

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010
Is there a way to maybe help mushrooms spawn?

Besides running around with some settings set to low to help me see them. Mushrooms are such a drag and are our #1 bottleneck for making better foods and meads.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Hihohe posted:

Are swamps supposed to be this loving small. Im trying to find out where this swamp key goes and all the swamps biomes i find are like... tiny.

There does appear to be a running trend in the seed generator of there being one large swamp with tons of iron in each world and the rest of the swamps being tiny and kind of devoid of resources

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Interesting patch notes, I wonder what they actually changed with the bosses. I actually agree with them that they need to be a bit more difficult but I think that difficulty should come from improving their pathfinding and ai, not letting them get stuck, and adding an attack or two. I'm worried that they just increased numbers and called it a day.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Fart Car '97 posted:

There does appear to be a running trend in the seed generator of there being one large swamp with tons of iron in each world and the rest of the swamps being tiny and kind of devoid of resources

Throwing my anecdote into the pile, the handful of swamps I've explored into so far have been tiny strips of land with no crypts.

Are there structures/ruins in swamps other than the crypts? I think I've seen towers or something in a swamp while sailing around the outside but I haven't taken a closer look yet.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Fart Car '97 posted:

On my giant wishlist for this game is also seed generation customization. I'd love a map that was just massive lakes and rivers and traveling quicker means navigating those because going around would take waaay longer.

Or maybe two massive landmasses with rarer biomes being on islands or something.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Generation Internet posted:

Are there structures/ruins in swamps other than the crypts? I think I've seen towers or something in a swamp while sailing around the outside but I haven't taken a closer look yet.

Yea there's ruins like in other zones and some sort of Drauger shrine/spawner complex, like the glowing piles for dwarves in the dark forest

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I think the update deleted my seed-turnip plants? That's annoying.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
for anyone hosting the cloud server, i had to do this this morning:
ssh in
su vhserver
./vhserver update-lgsm
./vhserver update

seems to have done the trick

vvv can you explain this, i havent deal with linux in decades and cant remember anything besides escape :wq in vim

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Feb 25, 2021

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

You should do this in cron. Something like this:

code:
*/5 * * * * /home/vhserver/vhserver monitor > /dev/null 2>&1
*/30 * * * * /home/vhserver/vhserver update > /dev/null 2>&1
0 0 * * 0 /home/vhserver/vhserver update-lgsm > /dev/null 2>&1

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

I have the tiny biome thing in my world with black forest as well. There's a quadrant of my starting island with several spots that are just a single thing surrounded by meadow: a burial ground, a copper deposit, and a skeleton tower with some tin on the coast. The burial ground didn't even have any fir trees, the others had a dozen or so. It creeped me out early game, it was the first place I encountered the enemies and I was still in rags eating berries, led me to think black forest looked just like meadow forest. I have what seems like a pretty large starting island with tons of copper and tin but only found 10 cores in 2 burial grounds. Haven't found a single troll cave there.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I was about to say. They added “recommended cron jobs” in the last few days and everyone should implement them. Much love to the folks doing this via steamcmd raw, but the lgsm wrapper makes management so much nicer/easier.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Warbird posted:

I was about to say. They added “recommended cron jobs” in the last few days and everyone should implement them. Much love to the folks doing this via steamcmd raw, but the lgsm wrapper makes management so much nicer/easier.

Yep. At first I tried SteamCMD, and got super frustrated after a couple of hours. I think it took me about 10 minutes to set up my server via lgsm, worst part was figuring out how to change the world file to the one I was importing.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

VietCampo posted:

Is there a way to maybe help mushrooms spawn?

Besides running around with some settings set to low to help me see them. Mushrooms are such a drag and are our #1 bottleneck for making better foods and meads.

I have mild Protanomaly, so the mushrooms tend to blend in with the grass.. I can still find them occasionally in good lighting, but when I really need them, I just put grass to min.

More games really need customizable colorblindness settings, and not just the stupid presets; I can still see red and green, but subtle shades are all kinds of hosed.

Tipme
Oct 30, 2009
Hi. I'm a Chelsea fan since 2010. Please murder me with a piece of pipe. thanks.
I built this stone tower at the base of a mountain. And I mined a bit into the mountains for more room. A day passes and I see the ground raise up and destroy parts of my tower. Is there a way to build so this doesn't happen again?

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

mastershakeman posted:

vvv can you explain this, i havent deal with linux in decades and cant remember anything besides escape :wq in vim

Every five minutes, run the 'monitor' command (to make sure the server is up and responding to queries)
Every 30 minutes, run the 'update' command (to update the server if an update is available)
Every Sunday at midnight, run the 'update-lgsm' command (to update LinuxGSM if an update is available)

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

Saxophone posted:

hilariously, according to dev interviews the game was designed around an oldschool hardcore solo experience. they threw multiplayer in on a lark and now look whats happened

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Saxophone posted:

On my giant wishlist for this game is also seed generation customization. I'd love a map that was just massive lakes and rivers and traveling quicker means navigating those because going around would take waaay longer.

Or maybe two massive landmasses with rarer biomes being on islands or something.

Yeah. I love the open ocean but I as far as sailing exploration my favorite moment so far has been navigating my karve down a foggy river.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Jinnigan posted:

hilariously, according to dev interviews the game was designed around an oldschool hardcore solo experience. they threw multiplayer in on a lark and now look whats happened

I legit would not have bought the game if it didn't have multiplayer. This is the kind of stuff that screams co-op.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

xzzy posted:

I legit would not have bought the game if it didn't have multiplayer. This is the kind of stuff that screams co-op.

Yeah I wouldn't have bothered one single bit if not for the co-op experience. Now I'm hosting a dedicated server on my machine for my FF14 raid group.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I've mostly played solo and it's been fine. The only really annoying part was the bronze tier between troll and iron, other than that the pacing has been good.

It's more fun with friends, of course, but then again most things are.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Feb 25, 2021

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Major Isoor posted:

hahaha I had a similar situation when I found surtling cores for the first time last night. :D But for me, I was making the 20min voyage home in my raft, when I went 1mm out of 'meadow' coastline into the ocean for quite literally two seconds, shortly after a storm had started...so yeah, a _____sea serpent_____ got me, as I'm sure everyone reading this has predicted already. I respawned, raced over there on foot, waited for it to bugger off, then collected my stuff and hopped onto my almost-destroyed raft for a quick repair before completing the journey. Very tense!

We got got by that thing on our first raft journey away from starting island! We're still too scared to go get our corpses since we don't need em at this point and we still have the same crappy rafts.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

tiny swamp chat; found this little scrap of swamp off the coast while exploring the world last night. There was also a small sandbar with about a dozen draugr milling around but i didnt get a good screenshot while i whizzed past. I've got multiple big swamps tho, there's one with a river running between 2 halves and there's like at least 5 dungeons within sight of the water, it's like a million miles from my base tho, seriously takes like half an hour to sail there with a karve (and of course i died to my first wraith sighting there)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005
I picked this up this week and have had a great time playing through it solo. Two days ago I killed the second boss then finished the night by crafting a bronze buckler to take with me to the next zone. Yesterday I made the leap into the iron age. This is my story of that first step into the iron age. Some mild swamp, ocean and bronze age building spoilers follow.

I sailed the world on my Karve and found my first Swamp biome far far south of my previously charted land. Luckily, I spotted a Crypt just inside it from the boat. I set up a little shack with a bed, workbench and campfire on a little black forest island next to it, then ran out a bit further along the coast to an island in a nearby meadows zone to make my "SWAMP" portal in a place where it wouldn't ever get destroyed. I was having issues with my boat taking a little bit of damage, so I parked it away from the shore and built a series of 'lilly pads' from wooden beams with wooden floors on top to use as a Super Mario Jump course out to my boat. Then it was time to head into the swamp.

The sprint along the coast into the crypt was pretty easy and I got off to a good start mining my way through the first crypt, with the exception of dying to a blob who AOE'd me through a tiny crack in the muddy scrap pile. I'm still traumatized by that. The rest of the crypt went pretty well and the next challenge became managing the pickaxe durability and weight of the iron I had found. I took a jaunt back through my portal to the homebase and came up with the plan of bringing the antler pickaxe so that I could easily repair it on-site (I hadn't brought any bronze on my journey to craft a forge in the swamp). I got back to the crypt and built a chest for iron just outside the door, and a little workbench with roof off the side wall of the crypt. During my building I noticed two more crypts off in the distance of the swamp and marked their location on the map. The next steps are pretty uneventful in text, but basically I spent the next couple hours clearing the crypts, loading up 4.5 full stacks of iron for my boat and character, transferring everything else through the portal home, dying and doing corpse runs...the usual viking life. Once I had my 4.5 stacks of iron, I made my final preparations and brought the boat over to the swamp for a few tense ore loading runs, then I was off!

I could have sailed back the way I came, but in true Viking fashion I decided to sail up the uncharted coast of the island that seemed like it might have a water-route connection to my base area. It was great to be on the boat after so long mining crypts, but the 120 iron payload in the boat storage, combined with my decision to chart the new coast made the ride a bit tense. I was tacking (? I'm not a sailor) to make it up a headwind when I spotted a peculiar island off in the sea. I decided to explore it and collect some resources, but then it reared up and dropped me into the ocean with no stamina, leaving me to swim back to my boat and just catch the ladder at 1hp. I was pretty well over the adventure at that point and started bee-lining up the coast when suddenly I saw another kraken island . Greed got the best of me and I went back to repeat the process, only this time I was careful to manage my stamina and pathing and avoid nearly drowning. I had to make some tough decisions on throwing away resources so I could escape with the new goods, but eventually I got a stack of 20 chitin and set off again.

Unfortunately it was shortly after that when I discovered that my hoped-for water route did not actually exist. At the narrowest point there was a long strip of black forest island that was keeping me from the water way that would lead back to my base. Further north the island curved out into a big mountainous land that would almost certainly require hours of sailing to get around, if it was even possible. Faced with the decision to go back, explore onwards or engineer a solution, I went with the third. I parked my boat, cleared out the mob spawners in the forest and got to work collecting some wood and building a chest to offload my boat materials. After transferring all the ore and other materials from the boat to the chest, I destroyed my boat and used the salvaged nails to build a cart. I transferred the loot over to the cart, salvaged the chest and made my way over across the narrow island to my old familiar waters. I reversed the cart>chest>salvage cart, build boat>load boat process then set back off for the final stretch.

The last challenged appeared off the back of my boat--a sea serpent. I did my best to avoid it and fight back, but I quickly ran out of my meager supply of arrows. I did some tense dodging and took a few hard hits, but I eventually made it safely away from the threat. Finally I had made it back to my home base Riverdale. I pulled over the base cart to unload everything and crafted myself into the next age--I chose to make a level 2 iron mace, a full suit of iron armor, a pickaxe, a longboat and some base improvements. I'm still hanging on to the 20 chitin, wondering if I should make a dagger or save for the harpoon.

About 5 hours after first setting sail, I was finally home and living in the new age. I think I'll settle down and do some cultivating, and maybe hunt down some bees nests before I load up my new, bigger boat and head back to the swamps for round two.