Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

weekly font posted:

Candles are not a waste you clowns. Put them around the Ouija and have a seance with the teddy bears, duh.

This gets even better when you have a player in VR. You can place things so much more precisely, and do stunts like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

running through a dark house with the spirit box in one hand and my boner in the other yelling "LET ME GARGLE YOUR BALLS"

:hmmyes:

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

more like phasmophilia

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Objectives:
  • Discover what type of Ghost we are dealing with
  • Capture a photo of the Ghost
  • Touch a ghostly booba
  • Cum on the ghost

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

Objectives:
  • Discover what type of Ghost we are dealing with
  • Capture a photo of the Ghost
  • Touch a ghostly booba
  • Cum on the ghost

Step-ghost what are you doing?!

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Forever shouting SUSAN WILLIAMS DO I MAKE YOU HORNY into the spirit box

Baba Yaga Fanboy fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Feb 9, 2021

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Cobbsprite posted:

This gets even better when you have a player in VR. You can place things so much more precisely, and do stunts like this.

one of my hopes for the future of the game is a bonus round where you play as the "ghost removal team" and have to do a séance or something, and its all dependent on the correct ID of the ghost. make it so you can double or triple your rewards but lose everything if you fail.

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

So I'm a fairly high level now, over 300 and today for the first time I heard knocking on a window and it scared the loving poo poo out of me. How have I played for this long and I've never heard that before?! I love that this game keeps me on my toes.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I like to imagine the ghosts are just trying to do their regular daily stuff like this guy

https://twitter.com/USofJR/status/1364654550993432576

and then they get frustrated because people are rolling in and shouting their name and throwing tools all over the place

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

betty jackson
please cook me an egg
*frying pan flung across the room*
oh youre doing so well betty

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?

I like to imagine the ghosts are just trying to do their regular daily stuff like this guy

and then they get frustrated because people are rolling in and shouting their name and throwing tools all over the place

:hmbol:

BETTY JACKSON YOUR FARTS SMELL LIKE EGG AND YOUR EGG TASTES LIKE FART flashlight flickers

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

It's no wonder Betty Jackson hunts, what with everybody here egging her on.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

:stonklol:

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

That's loving amazing, I wish that was in the game. "Susan Williams, cook me an egg!" and the ghost just manifests and slaps a frying pan with an egg down on a surface before throwing it at you.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

My partner managed to accidentally snap an interaction photo from inside the van on Tanglewood :confused:

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Feb 27, 2021

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

this means that you are now haunted forever

congratulations on your job security!!

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Just got this gifted to me and played with some friends. Always need a new reminder that I am a huge loving coward with horror games.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Had a moment a few nights ago in a solo Pro Tanglewood game that was so well-timed I'm still not convinced it wasn't scripted. The ghost was a revenant in the entrance hallway, which meant being a little more careful doing the survive-a-hunt daily mission. So I went in the garage, turned out the lights to drain sanity and bunkered up in the locker. Got bored waiting after a few minutes and, since the ghost hadn't seemed to wander past the living room the entire time, decided it would be safe to mess around with any objects in the garage until a hunt started. The exact moment I swung the locker door open... not even five feet in front me... ThumpThumpThump SCARYGHOSTROAR vanish! Most startled I've been in this game in quite a while.

Also, supposedly it shouldn't be too long (exact date still unknown) before all these updates on the Beta branch go live.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GD7l0bFGctQ

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Man, I'm really enjoying a lot of these changes on the beta branch but I cannot for the life of me find the ghost room on larger levels anymore without sheer loving luck.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
What's the current difference between the beta branch and steam branch? Would I be able to get an idea by basically looking at all the beta changes since the last steam update?

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

What's the current difference between the beta branch and steam branch? Would I be able to get an idea by basically looking at all the beta changes since the last steam update?

The "Done [Beta]" column on the dev's Trello gives a nice overview of the changes since the last Steam update. There's a lot more fine-tuning that changes a lot about the game (e.g. Thermometer changes) that you'll find in the Beta update announcements on the official Discord, but there's a lot to comb through.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

:siren: As of like five minutes ago, there is no difference! :siren:

:getin:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Haha oh man, just read through the changelog and that's a lot of changes and fixes! Looking forward to trying them all out, seems like it'll feel pretty different.

Kind of funny that there were these apparent safe zones that i only learned about because they got patched out lol

Also he shouldn't have fixed dead players interacting with the ouija imo

E: actually i would love to see more dead player interaction possibilities. Maybe even interact with the ghost!

Also very curious what that bugfix is about re: ghosts not killing someone completely

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Also very curious what that bugfix is about re: ghosts not killing someone completely

I'd ran into it before, it's pretty simple. Person would still be targeted by ghost in a hunt and you could hear/see them but they couldn't do much. Another choke session from the ghost would kill them fully of course.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Somehow when my buddy and I play, I am the ghost magnet and get killed. Just tonight, he ran into a room when the hunt started, I tried to follow him in but he closed the door. Managed to open the door, get in after him, BUT THE GHOST WAS IN THE ROOM ALREADY AND KILLED ME INSTEAD OF HIM. Wtf, game! Goons, please tell me how to be less tasty to ghosts and also make them kill my friends

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

mercenarynuker posted:

Somehow when my buddy and I play, I am the ghost magnet and get killed. Just tonight, he ran into a room when the hunt started, I tried to follow him in but he closed the door. Managed to open the door, get in after him, BUT THE GHOST WAS IN THE ROOM ALREADY AND KILLED ME INSTEAD OF HIM. Wtf, game! Goons, please tell me how to be less tasty to ghosts and also make them kill my friends

You probably already know this, but ghosts are attracted to sound during hunts, so if you're making more noise (IRL) or just have a noisier mic, it's possible that's drawing the ghost to you. As far as I can tell, this is true even if you don't have local chat enabled at the time, it's just constantly listening for players during hunts. My group took a bit to figure out that yelling "oh poo poo oh poo poo oh poo poo" over and over during hunts was... not helping the situation.

As for your second question, one of my friends got killed when the other three of us yelled "motherfucker!" over and over as we ran out of the location. A hunt started the moment the last of us walked out of the door and he got caught pretty quickly. It was all in the name of science and experimentation, though.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
So it turns out the toilets in the high school are made for people with absolutely enormous asses, like 3x the size of the investigators. Were the high school students really big, or are the investigators really tiny? :spooky:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBb--M6qTCY

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

New update on the Beta branch just got released (full list here), and there's some interesting stuff in it. Highlights include ghost gets gradually faster during hunts while it has line of sight; ghost will force open locker/closet doors if the player makes a bunch of noise while in there; extra hiding spots in the farmhouses; furniture can potentially block line of sight now.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Nice! Glad to see more progress on this game. I still wish the dev behind it would hire help to get things moving along faster, though, because I want more more more.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

I'd love to see a graveyard level. Have crypts and tombs and stuff. Garden sheds for hiding. Maybe various sections could be a "room". I also think the levels need re-classification. Farmhouses prob Medium, High school is Large, and Prison/Asylum Extra Large or something. Or Asylum into loving Huge

The Donut
Aug 28, 2008

Zelensky's Zealots
Soiled Meat
I know it's probably not going to happen but a level editor would be amazing. I wanna make my own maps!

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Is there much/any use for the sound stuff? The sound sensor/parabolic mic don't seem particularly useful to me, but maybe I am just doing it wrong? Is the sound sensor one of those things that you need three+ of them to help triangulate?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
The sound sensors could be useful if you have someone hanging in the van to monitor cameras and instruments--usually on a full 4-person team. Having a van person can be useful for slowing average sanity loss. So if you have a full team, on the larger maps it could be useful to have someone run in and throw down a few sensors, especially in hallways or very large rooms if you suspect the ghost might be in one of the larger areas. It'll at least trip the sensor and give a general location. But I haven't found a lot of use for the sensors specifically.

Re: the parabolic mics, my partner and I swear by them now in the big maps. Prison/high school and larger, it's a game changer. We've gotten our high school times as low as 13 minutes for positive ghost ID and all optional objectives, and we can usually pinpoint the ghost room on the larger maps with a speed comparable to the small houses, with just two people. As long as you're split up, and aware of where the other person is (so you know you're not picking up their sounds), you can cover HUGE amounts of ground with the parabolic mic to get a general direction and narrow down the ghost room fast.

Our standard first-go loadout for medium+ maps is now flashlight, parabolic mic for the general area, then thermometer for positive confirmation of the ghost room.

The mic kicks rear end.

e:

mercenarynuker posted:

I'd love to see a graveyard level. Have crypts and tombs and stuff. Garden sheds for hiding. Maybe various sections could be a "room".
Graveyard would own. I'd also like to see :
  • Apartments/condos
  • Mall or maybe strip mall
  • An old church, maybe with a spoopy bell tower
  • A campsite with cabins
  • A factory and/or lab of some sort
  • maybe an old youth center (could be similar-ish to the high school but more small/medium sized
:agreed: on reclassification

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

Nice! Glad to see more progress on this game. I still wish the dev behind it would hire help to get things moving along faster, though, because I want more more more.
:agreed:

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Apr 26, 2021

FlavoFibe
Nov 9, 2015
If outdoor maps are ever a thing, I would love to see an abandoned amusement park. That would probably be a lot of work though. Someone in the discord also mentioned that a ghost ship map would be neat

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
oh my god, an amusement park and ship level would rule

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

The groups I play with the on the regular have been having far fewer issues with sanity because of what we call the "Candle Strat".

Candles, for those not aware, got buffed to maintain sanity just like being in a proper light source while lit and you can carry them around. So what we've been doing is starting a hunt off by carrying a flashlight, a lit candle and one piece of equipment for helping to find the ghost/ghost room. Just hold your candle out and keep your flashlight on so you can see where you're going and bang presto, enjoy your sanity staying in the 90% range for nearly the entire mission if you stick with it the whole way through. Even if you ditch it after finding the ghost room the Candle Strat helps immensely on the large maps for maintaining your sanity for the longer time it takes to find the ghost room sometimes.

Bringing a lighter isn't absolutely necessary unless you want to forgo your flashlight if you have a good enough sense of the map. The only obvious downside is that you can't easily tell if a hunt is happening without a friend with a flashlight around or the lights being on nearby.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Candles are extremely good for that, and on the bigger maps I'll usually take one in to turn the breaker on if it's sufficiently far from the entrance. But aside from that I usually don't sweat my sanity too hard (though that might change once the ghost speed changes leave beta)

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike
My group and I just like doing "intimate and romantic road/farmhouse" runs after a few beers where we only use candles and glowsticks as light sources, along with no thermometer. It's hilarious running around yelling at a spirit box in every room, for the real Ghost Hunting experience. Even better when it actually responds before someone else finds the room with an EMF.

What I'm saying is game owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I'd been thinking about exactly this scenario for a long time and I'm so happy to see this skit p much mirror my thoughts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5OPTj7fKVw