Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

oggb posted:

Like it or not this will never be your thread and nobody is here to listen to you piss and moan about HeS DoInG IT WrOnG u GuYs He S So DuMb Do It My WAy so please stop trying so hard.

This thread is funny. You were funny for a couple of posts. Now you're annoying and dragging the whole mood down.

Who hurt you?

He's trying to use his vast experience to ground the OP and help make sure at least one of the projects gets done instead of just watching someone set money on fire. Sorry if reality is a bummer for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

oggb posted:

nobody is here to listen to you piss and moan about HeS DoInG IT WrOnG u GuYs He S So DuMb Do It My WAy so please stop trying so hard.

These kinds of threads would be way less entertaining without knowledgeable assholespeople like Motronic, so I'm definitely here to listen to that.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

:words:

Motronic and D-LINK aren't pissing on your dreams just because they love pissing on peoples' dreams, they're pointing out pitfalls and poo poo that in their experience will make this an unpleasant and/or unsuccessful project for you. they're doing it in Irascible Dad style because i'm like 70% sure they actually are Irascible Dads.

re-reading through this thread I realized that I never really got a wholistic understanding of what you want out of this property. You started with GroverTruk and an outhouse that you'll use while you build a tiny home, then more tiny homes, but then also a helipad on top of a water tower, and a telescope? what's the endgame for this tiny compound/CodysLab fever dream?

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Feb 25, 2021

oggb
Feb 19, 2021

Blowjob Overtime posted:

He's trying to use his vast experience to ground the OP and help make sure at least one of the projects gets done instead of just watching someone set money on fire. Sorry if reality is a bummer for you.

I guess I'm just confused because I don't remember Ry asking us for advice on how to build his fever dream palace, he just wanted us to lick the back of the frog with him.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

oggb posted:

Like it or not this will never be your thread and nobody is here to listen to you piss and moan about HeS DoInG IT WrOnG u GuYs He S So DuMb Do It My WAy so please stop trying so hard.

This thread is funny. You were funny for a couple of posts. Now you're annoying and dragging the whole mood down.

Who hurt you?

Like it or not, this thread is more fun if the op actually gets some projects off the ground and we get to see the results, instead of people just rooting for it to be this project that will slog to a long and boring conclusion as the scope of the work goes more and more horizontal. This option of things actually getting done will still come with the wacky hijinks everyone loves.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Rytheric posted:

I'm weary of focusing on GroverTruk because

I want you to think about being a guy in/approaching his thirties who is living in the back of a partially-converted, 25-year old moving van while spending 500 bucks on a second date with a Tinder rando and hoping against hope that some bumfuck, nowhere county inspector is going to approve your plan to be able to poo poo in a not-yet-built outhouse next to a little old lady whose property line runs straight through her living room. All the while ostensibly being able to afford a much, much, much better standard of living for yourself if only you weren't dedicated to weird, money-pit projects that are unlikely to see the light of day.

Look, I really don't want to tell someone how to live their life, but there is a very hard line (and that line is way behind someone who is consciously choose to sleep with a CPAP machine powered by a vehicle's alternator in the Carolina backwoods) where something like that becomes acceptable.

It was entertaining for awhile, but beyond a certain point there are some questionable morals behind laughing with/at someone trying to live in a way that is borderline dangerous.

The337th posted:

:yeah:

Unlike some other opinions here, I'd actually like to see this go somewhere other than being mired in unbelievable project creep that doesn't make good content for anyone. The goon actually snoozing in the truck being included in that.

Preaching aside: this. I wanna see a bonfire in the back of that van, op.

Drone fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Feb 25, 2021

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

oggb posted:

I guess I'm just confused because I don't remember Ry asking us for advice on how to build his fever dream palace, he just wanted us to lick the back of the frog with him.

He doesn't actually own the thread y'know. It's not like he can dictate acceptable topics.

oggb
Feb 19, 2021

Drone posted:

I want you to think about being a guy in his thirties who is living in the back of a partially-converted, 25-year old moving van while spending 500 bucks on a second date with a Tinder rando and hoping against hope that some bumfuck, nowhere county inspector is going to approve your plan to be able to poo poo in not-yet-built outhouse next to a little old lady whose property line runs straight through her living room. All the while ostensibly being able to afford a much, much, much better standard of living for yourself if only you weren't dedicated to weird projects.

Look, I really don't want to tell someone how to live their life, but there is a very hard line (and that line is way behind someone who is consciously choose to sleep with a CPAP machine powered by a vehicle's alternator in the Carolina backwoods) where something like that becomes acceptable.

It was entertaining for awhile, but beyond a certain point there are some questionable morals behind laughing with/at someone trying to live in a way that is borderline dangerous.

So what you're saying is that we need to set up some kind of Groverfundme so he can take some classes for carpentry, plumbing, electrical, etc. and maybe get a mental health eval done?

Boring.

Show me the timbershitter remodel plans again pls.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
I'm not making GBS threads on him at all. Been pretty conscious of saying nothing is impossible, and that nothing is too hard to do. That doesn't preclude me from pointing out that he's absolutely making things much, much harder on himself than necessary. But hey, if it's funny to you and wanna see a guy take years to hand fashion mortise and tenon timber structures, and then die or maim himself hoisting timbers on ropes because he's sailed before, that seems specious to me

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Ry you need to focus on the here and now, and zero in on the challenges you're currently faced with. Some of your posts remind me of my own thought processes when I'm faced with an insurmountable amount of work I just project forward and think about the possibilities and the potential of what you can do if and when you complete that insurmountable amount work you've set up for yourself. Goons are not kidding when they reference the well parable. You're literally digging yourself deeper and unless you reign it in you're never going to be satisfied with what you accomplish. Also please don't buy the property. Also also please find a type A person to date they'll help you plan and suddenly you'll be accountable.
Also also also please disregard everything I said and keep up the good work :munch:

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

I don't know if "goon in a well" really applies when the goon in question isn't actually asking for advice on getting out of the well.

This is more like, some goons saw Ry lowering himself into a well and when they asked what the gently caress he said, "idk man, I like the vibe". Then they invited more goons to come see this dude in the well, and some of those goons said, "Why are you digging? That's not going to get you out of the well!" but Ry was like, "I just figured I'd make more room, I'm not trying to get out, I'm vibin." Other goons said, "There are legitimate safety concerns involved in being in a well" and Ry went "idk man this well has been here for a while" and when they said, "Yeah but now you've dug a room under it, also it might start to get moldy" he went, "Hm... I hadn't considered mold." Meanwhile there's a contingent of goons saying, "There is no good reason to dig yourself a room under a well, this is stupid, you shouldn't have done it, and there's no way you're going to be able to stay down there assuming you even did any digging down there at all, which I assume you didn't, because that would be stupid." To which Ry shrugged and said, "It seems fine so far, I guess we'll see how it goes. Do you want to see my new telescope? I'm thinking about turning it into a periscope so I can see out of the well without pulling myself up the bucket pulley system I built out of zipties."

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Everett False posted:

This is more like, some goons saw Ry lowering himself into a well and when they asked what the gently caress he said, "idk man, I like the vibe". Then they invited more goons to come see this dude in the well, and some of those goons said, "Why are you digging? That's not going to get you out of the well!" but Ry was like, "I just figured I'd make more room, I'm not trying to get out, I'm vibin." Other goons said, "There are legitimate safety concerns involved in being in a well" and Ry went "idk man this well has been here for a while" and when they said, "Yeah but now you've dug a room under it, also it might start to get moldy" he went, "Hm... I hadn't considered mold." Meanwhile there's a contingent of goons saying, "There is no good reason to dig yourself a room under a well, this is stupid, you shouldn't have done it, and there's no way you're going to be able to stay down there assuming you even did any digging down there at all, which I assume you didn't, because that would be stupid." To which Ry shrugged and said, "It seems fine so far, I guess we'll see how it goes. Do you want to see my new telescope? I'm thinking about turning it into a periscope so I can see out of the well without pulling myself up the bucket pulley system I built out of zipties."

Okay I re-voted 5 on this thread.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

oggb posted:

Who hurt you?
He usually comes across as abrasive and often as an rear end in a top hat, but he usually is correct. Everyone needs some Red Foreman in their life.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Rytheric posted:

I'm okay with that. Basically the cost of things is what is setting the pace and myself setting my pace. Once I get the septic permit, I have 5 years to build the septic. Hopefully I can come up with a second excavator rental within that 5 years time. (Two weeks will cover it).

What makes things hard in my opinion is people being in a rush to do things because they have to meet deadlines. My professional job would be 1000 times less stressful without all the deadlines.

Have you done a cost analysis on a used tractor with a bucket and blade vs all the excavator rentals you'll need over the course of this project? You might find buying is cheaper, and it opens up the door to things like using the bucket to lift SIPS into place.

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

:words:

Motronic and D-LINK aren't pissing on your dreams just because they love pissing on peoples' dreams, they're pointing out pitfalls and poo poo that in their experience will make this an unpleasant and/or unsuccessful project for you. they're doing it in Irascible Dad style because i'm like 70% sure they actually are Irascible Dads.

Yeah, I wonder why all the people commenting on the thread who have construction experience are cautioning Ry that this project is going to be 2x as hard, 2x as expensive, and 4x as long as he thinks (with various levels of abrasiveness.

Must all be killjoy assholes trying to bring Ry down!

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Now imaging if you will that next to the scrap wood shoe matt (damn right im going to have people kick off their shoes before entering my tiny home) a rocking chair or camping chair, and then beside that a small grill or sawn off 55-gallon barrel sitting on top of a wire spool.

Elviscat posted:

Have you done a cost analysis on a used tractor with a bucket and blade vs all the excavator rentals you'll need over the course of this project? You might find buying is cheaper, and it opens up the door to things like using the bucket to lift SIPS into place.

Yeah, I wonder why all the people commenting on the thread who have construction experience are cautioning Ry that this project is going to be 2x as hard, 2x as expensive, and 4x as long as he thinks (with various levels of abrasiveness.

I haven't looked into a tractor. But I have figured that I would have to use an excavator only once if the land doesn't perk which is $1000. Then a week long rental for the septic tank which is $1500. If I do decide to use it to life the beams and sips if I use sips thats another $1000 to $2000. So up to roughly $5000 in excavator usage for the extent of the project. Maybe up to $7000 if I build the even tinier murderhaus and water tower observatory.

I have been advised just to buy a mini ex because I will likely use it down the road when I buy more property or so I can help others.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Now imaging if you will that next to the scrap wood shoe matt (damn right im going to have people kick off their shoes before entering my tiny home) a rocking chair or camping chair, and then beside that a small grill or sawn off 55-gallon barrel sitting on top of a wire spool.

Elviscat posted:

The problem is that they don't know how expensive, how hard, or how long I expect this all to take because I am still in the due diligence phase.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

What about grading and digging footers?

schmug
May 20, 2007

Rytheric posted:

The problem is that they don't know how expensive, how hard, or how long I expect this all to take because I am still in the due diligence phase.

yeah they have no idea. don't listen to the haters Ry!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Rytheric posted:

I haven't looked into a tractor. But I have figured that I would have to use an excavator only once if the land doesn't perk which is $1000. Then a week long rental for the septic tank which is $1500. If I do decide to use it to life the beams and sips if I use sips thats another $1000 to $2000. So up to roughly $5000 in excavator usage for the extent of the project. Maybe up to $7000 if I build the even tinier murderhaus and water tower observatory.

I have been advised just to buy a mini ex because I will likely use it down the road when I buy more property or so I can help others.

A basic kubota brand new is around $10k. If you're clearing land, building, and digging with any frequency, it might be worth just buying yourself a used tractor that has the attachments you need. Instead of renting an excavator, buy one, use it til you're done, and sell it or keep it in the murdershed you build to house it and the truck.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Rytheric posted:

Yeah, those things aren't literally my job or anything. This is a real "you can't predict how the tile will line up" moment for you, sir

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

A basic kubota brand new is around $10k. If you're clearing land, building, and digging with any frequency, it might be worth just buying yourself a used tractor that has the attachments you need. Instead of renting an excavator, buy one, use it til you're done, and sell it or keep it in the murdershed you build to house it and the truck.

Uhhh...that would be a BX series with no loader, no backhoe, no mower....just absolutely nothing but a 3 point hitch. Those subcompact tractors are near useless, FYI. They're great if you need to get into a tight spot, but pat that they are dangerous (too light) toys (too small to do real work).

For a BX with a backhoe and loader you're looking at more like $18k new. And for an actual useful tractor like a CUT with a loader and backhoe it's more like $30k.

So no, new isn't a good idea.

A ragged out TLB from a rental place? Yeah, you can get that for maybe $15k.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Motronic posted:

Uhhh...that would be a BX series with no loader, no backhoe, no mower....just absolutely nothing but a 3 point hitch. Those subcompact tractors are near useless, FYI. They're great if you need to get into a tight spot, but pat that they are dangerous (too light) toys (too small to do real work).

For a BX with a backhoe and loader you're looking at more like $18k new. And for an actual useful tractor like a CUT with a loader and backhoe it's more like $30k.

So no, new isn't a good idea.

A ragged out TLB from a rental place? Yeah, you can get that for maybe $15k.

This is the kind of info and advise i need.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

D-LINK posted:

Yeah, those things aren't literally my job or anything. This is a real "you can't predict how the tile will line up" moment for you, sir

You don't know what I expect.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Elviscat posted:

What about grading and digging footers?

I was going to dig the footings by hand. The plans call for simple concrete pile with cantilever footings on the corners and middle of the bents. Not a continuous footings unless the county requires them to be continuous.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

All the being said. A wrench has been throw in the plan because the owner said he re-evaluated the land and now wants $20,000. I'm evaluating if I want to accept that. I was originally going to accept that when I was going to be buying it from the seller so now it's back up to the original cost. I told the seller about the owner doubling the price and he said that the owner is an a-hole and is a waste of time. The owner is justifying the price change by saying that the seller didn't give him time to get the paperwork together for a proper valuation and that the work he doesn't want to lose out on what he wasted on seeing if the land perked or not and the taxes he has paid over time and that the tax value for one property is 10k and they expect the value of the other property to be the same. Once it's cut off. (I imagine it's only 5k though)

My boss is telling me to walk and so are the geese whom I hold dear. Many are saying he is just trying to see how much he could get out of me. Unfortunately I have become somewhat emotionally attached to the property. The former seller is saying that the valuation is whatever yall decide upon regardless of the tax value and if I see value in it at 20k then go for it.

Perkable land across the rail tracks from the property is going for 16k for half the acreage, but I think the powerlines take up too much of the property and it doesn't have a well or pre-approved privys.

I also have an option of 3 acres near a different lake (would have to move my sailboat) for $6000 but i would have to go through the perc process there too for $3000 and it doesn't have a road but an easement that goes through 4 properties so it's got issues too.

I'm the kind of guy who just wants to buy the property and be done with it and just accept the consequences and salvage what I can out of my purchase. So I'm inclined to buy it anyway.

Edit: he told me to dwell on it for a week and then get back to him.

Rytheric fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Feb 25, 2021

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Who could have predicted such an outcome?

Personally I had the square for "owner wants $30k for the property now that you've spent the money to prove it percs and get it properly surveyed."

It's almost like there should be some sort of legal process to prevent things like this from happening during a land transaction.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Rytheric posted:

Unfortunately I have become somewhat emotionally attached to the property.

Walk.

Rytheric posted:

I'm the kind of guy who just wants to buy the property and be done with it and just accept the consequences and salvage what I can out of my purchase. So I'm inclined to buy it anyway.

Yeah you're not gonna walk.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!
Counterpoint: it looks like your land just doubled in value, and if Motronic predicts it'll go to 30k you gotta lock it in now to save yourself that ten grand.

Vvvvvv: Land prices can only go up up UP!

threelemmings fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Feb 25, 2021

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

threelemmings posted:

Counterpoint: it looks like your land just doubled in value, and if Motronic just predicted it'd go to 30k you gotta lock it in now to save yourself that ten grand.

That's not...you can't...why would...

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

um excuse me posted:

That's not...you can't...why would...

See, you can't even argue with that impeccable logic.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Walk dude, you can get better land elsewhere without any of the baggage that land has.

Also get yourself an agent for fucks sake and don't do any tests on the land before you have an accepted offer contingent on those tests next time.

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi
Walk.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Run

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Just give him 40k for it as a thank you for giving you the opportunity to buy it.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Rytheric posted:

All the being said. A wrench has been throw in the plan because the owner said he re-evaluated the land and now wants $20,000. I'm evaluating if I want to accept that. I was originally going to accept that when I was going to be buying it from the seller so now it's back up to the original cost. I told the seller about the owner doubling the price and he said that the owner is an a-hole and is a waste of time. The owner is justifying the price change by saying that the seller didn't give him time to get the paperwork together for a proper valuation and that the work he doesn't want to lose out on what he wasted on seeing if the land perked or not and the taxes he has paid over time and that the tax value for one property is 10k and they expect the value of the other property to be the same. Once it's cut off. (I imagine it's only 5k though)

Hold up, I'm confused. Maybe I missed an explanation, but how are the "owner" and "seller" different people? Is the "seller" like a realtor or something?

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
wait wait wait you've been spending money to prove that the land is more valuable than the seller thinks it is with no agreement in place that the seller has to hold the original price regardless of if it percs or not? You're spending YOUR money so the other guy can charge you more for the land?

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Powered Descent posted:

Hold up, I'm confused. Maybe I missed an explanation, but how are the "owner" and "seller" different people? Is the "seller" like a realtor or something?

I'm assuming he's dealing with a seller's agent, (and since he doesn't have an agent himself he's getting hosed sideways by them) but who knows.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
This is all happening somewhere in North Carolina?

So much....My #1 recommendation is to make sure you have a serious First Aid kit. Like bandages, tourniquets, blood stop, disinfectants, burn salvo--the works.

Second--if you legit have the cash to buy a parcel of land, think about engaging a professional when you know the area you want. If you want to buy the land you are going to at least need a real estate attorney to make sure there is a clear title and to record the sale. If you acquire the services of a real estate professional in the area they will have access to all the current inventory for sale. They will know what the challenges are for beginning development on a parcel and have all sorts of valuable knowledge.

Because if you are serious about building--you'll need permits. You'll need permits for everything--and you won't be getting any permits for an outhouse. Not in North Carolina and not if it is near navigable water. Outhouses can be permitted--but not on .75 acres--lol.

As for the power process. Your home is going to have electricity at some point, right? One of the first steps in building is having the inspector inspect and pass your temporary "saw" pole. Once your temp "saw" pole is legally permitted, the power company runs power to it and viola--you have a meter on your property with legit 240V electricity to run all your tools and lights. Because seriously--you'd build a house out of battery pack and hand tools and then when it is all done figure out the whole how do we get electricity to the property thing?

(Please don't tell me I missed the whole it is going to be an off-the grid solar project...on a .75 acre plot with neighbors. I missed it, didn't I?)

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

wait wait wait you've been spending money to prove that the land is more valuable than the seller thinks it is with no agreement in place that the seller has to hold the original price regardless of if it percs or not? You're spending YOUR money so the other guy can charge you more for the land?

yup but it's totally not a goon well thing because

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

:siren:SAIL:siren: