Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I feel like Blade is going to be pretty great and Ali trying to do a bad Snipes impression with tons of motherfuckers wouldn't work anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
The only thing I remember about Mortal Kombat: Annihilation was Sub-Zero showing up out of nowhere, saying “I will aid you in your quest!”, and then immediately running offscreen never to be seen again.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

SonicRulez posted:

I feel like Blade is going to be pretty great and Ali trying to do a bad Snipes impression with tons of motherfuckers wouldn't work anyway.

Yeah, I love Snipes' Blade and its basically how I see Blade but if there's one person on this planet I'm willing to give the chance to reinvent the character for himself its Mahershala Ali.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Phylodox posted:

The only thing I remember about Mortal Kombat: Annihilation was Sub-Zero showing up out of nowhere, saying “I will aid you in your quest!”, and then immediately running offscreen never to be seen again.

The only thing I remember is the bit at the start where Raiden turns into a Billy Idol lookalike because they couldn't get Christopher Lambert to return for the sequel.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

JordanKai posted:

The only thing I remember is the bit at the start where Raideneveryone turns into a lookalike because they couldn't get Christopher Lambertanyone to return for the sequel.

e: this is quite possibly the worst thing ever

site fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Feb 25, 2021

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
It's time to share my favourite Mortal Kombat Annihilation music video

https://youtu.be/n3we3M9fyzY

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

SonicRulez posted:

It's not the swearing I'm worried about, it's the blood.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

You mean plasma

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Look, vampires just have neon blue blood for some reason, everyone knows this!

Hey, it works in Japan apparently!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

As counterfactual as this sounds I don't think vampires are all that bloody. If they get a victim they are drinking it clean, not leaving it spilled all over the place.

The blood rave scene is very cool, but what a waste of perfectly good human blood! Only a specific set of vampires might be that decadent or bold!

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

So I have been reading Jason Aaron's run on the Avengers and it's reminded me of one problem with Blade.

After the Punisher, he is this brutal, uncompromising guy which makes it hard to do a straight adaption.

With the Punisher if you have him go full Frank, he ends up looking like a really racist cop.

If you have Blade go ham legions of vampires it's kind of the same. Even if they are all meant to be blood sucking monsters, most people are turned into vampires against their will.

In the Avengers they contrasted Tony Stark (someone who looked at the challenge of curing vampires) T'Challa (someone who wanted to save the people who were vampires) as against Blads (a guy who wanted to kill all of them. No exceptions.)

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

There's a fun Batman elseworlds where he's a vampire and he's desperate to maintain his code regardless but then snaps and eats The Joker, now that he has the thirst he goes after all his old enemies, leaving their heads on spikes outside Arkham.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

site posted:

e: this is quite possibly the worst thing ever

Oh no, the worst thing ever is reading claims WB started making an MK Ultra Girls show and had half a season in the can before getting cold feet, thus cruelly denying us all Cassie, Jacqui and Frost going to Outland High, and lovable scamp Mileena pranking her stuck up sister every chance she gets while wine mom Sindel laughs.

Sure, it must be a hoax or marketing gag (as if Frost is ever getting a spotlight) but then again, some coked up execs were going to make an Aliens cartoon at one point so maybe, just maybe...

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

You could totally make a terrible g-rated aliens cartoon. It'd be just like that robocop cartoon.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

John Wick of Dogs posted:

As counterfactual as this sounds I don't think vampires are all that bloody. If they get a victim they are drinking it clean, not leaving it spilled all over the place.

The blood rave scene is very cool, but what a waste of perfectly good human blood! Only a specific set of vampires might be that decadent or bold!

All vampires are 1%ers, so wasting blood is just their way of showing off

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Pretty sure any/every popular 80s movie series had a cartoon made or pitched.

Like I’m sure someone came up with a Hellraiser or Chucky cartoon.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Sentinel Red posted:

Oh no, the worst thing ever is reading claims WB started making an MK Ultra Girls show and had half a season in the can before getting cold feet, thus cruelly denying us all Cassie, Jacqui and Frost going to Outland High, and lovable scamp Mileena pranking her stuck up sister every chance she gets while wine mom Sindel laughs.

Sure, it must be a hoax or marketing gag (as if Frost is ever getting a spotlight) but then again, some coked up execs were going to make an Aliens cartoon at one point so maybe, just maybe...

I'm pretty sure that the tell there is a kids show being named after a CIA program where a bunch of people got dosed on mind altering drugs against their will.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

OnimaruXLR posted:

I'm pretty sure that the tell there is a kids show being named after a CIA program where a bunch of people got dosed on mind altering drugs against their will.

Oh for sure. But given the last few years already feel like some kind of insane fever dream fuelled by mind altering drugs...

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sentinel Red posted:

Oh, wow, is that where that action figure line came from?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

site posted:

i mean, i guess if i was cage and read the script and saw i got killed in the first 10 minutes i would dip out too that was stupid as hell. who in their right mind sees him being charismatic as gently caress and decides, hey let's kill that guy off
I think there was a rights issue with Johnny Cage at the time, something about the original mocap guy suing them or something? I know the games killed him off too around then and it wasn't a coincidence.

Lurdiak posted:

It's not the swearing I'm worried about, it's the blood.
I'm honestly not. We're conditioned to expect vampires to explode bloodlessly into dust and disappear; hell, that was what happened in the original Blade movies too. So long there aren't any terribly gory kills -- and this is a Marvel superhero movie, why would there be -- it'll be fine.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Pretty sure any/every popular 80s movie series had a cartoon made or pitched.

Like I’m sure someone came up with a Hellraiser or Chucky cartoon.

They didn't make a Hellraiser cartoon but I'll never forget in Grade 2 some kid letting me borrow his! The only panel I can remember is some guy walking into a barn and a bunch of bodies are strung up with metal and bloodied. Then some rock n roll demon with a guitar yelling I LOVE KILLING or something.

Comic book stores just didnt care back then. :3:

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Vintersorg posted:

They didn't make a Hellraiser cartoon but I'll never forget in Grade 2 some kid letting me borrow his! The only panel I can remember is some guy walking into a barn and a bunch of bodies are strung up with metal and bloodied. Then some rock n roll demon with a guitar yelling I LOVE KILLING or something.

Comic book stores just didnt care back then. :3:

One day, little Kirsty Cotton found her Uncle Frank's puzzle box and opened a magical doorway into a world full of mystery and cool, exciting new friends! Tune in for Hellraiser Adventures!

Lets pitch it, the worst they can do is say no.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

Oh, wow, is that where that action figure line came from?

Yes, actually.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The alien toys also came with mini-comics and I had them all because they all owned. Gorilla alien! Scorpion aliens! Giant face hugger! Flying queen! Dude on a queen-like mech armor!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Sentinel Red posted:

i mean, after this i probably would've checked it out. dc super hero girls is pretty fun

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Endless Mike posted:

All vampires are 1%ers, so wasting blood is just their way of showing off

Warhammer Fantasy of all settings evokes that well. It's just that when a peasant in Sylvania says their lord is a heartless, blood-sucking ghoul who feasts on the misery of the common folks, there's a good chance she's making a completely literal and accurate description of the guy who lives in the castle up on yonder hill.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

site posted:

i mean, after this i probably would've checked it out. dc super hero girls is pretty fun

Exactly. If it is true and they really did make half a season, may as well just release it and see what happens. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't but it's just a waste otherwise. I can already picture Jade & Kitana being insufferable besties while Mileena and Skarlet skulk off to hang out by the bike sheds with the kool kids.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

CapnAndy posted:

I'm honestly not. We're conditioned to expect vampires to explode bloodlessly into dust and disappear; hell, that was what happened in the original Blade movies too. So long there aren't any terribly gory kills -- and this is a Marvel superhero movie, why would there be -- it'll be fine.

I don't want this to be a Marvel superhero movie, I want it to be a Blade movie. The whole point of all the poo poo that got announced back in 2019 was supposed to be about moving away from the formula and branching out what Marvel movies/shows could be. If this movie isn't at least as violent as the average issue of Marvel's Vampire Tales or Dracula Lives! I'll consider it a failure.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Feb 25, 2021

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Dude on a queen-like mech armor!

That guy's giant alien helmet never stayed on his drat head.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Sentinel Red posted:

MK Ultra Girls

You know what, that a weird enough idea that I really want to see it. Apparently Kano was the gym teacher? I hope this isn't a hoax, drat.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

catlord posted:

You know what, that a weird enough idea that I really want to see it. Apparently Kano was the gym teacher? I hope this isn't a hoax, drat.

There is canonically a social media site in the Mortal Kombat universe called Friendships. Posters include:

Kool&TheKang
TakeedaBanana
KungJin
KenshiFury
FanGirl
QueenaMileena
LadyBug
It'sNotAirmac
ErronBackInBlack
TotalKotal
QuanCheesy
KanO's
YouGotCaged
SonyaTheBlade
GonzoHanzo
ThunderMan
Goro
MadJax
StrykeMeDown
ReptileDisfunction
SassyJacqui
TheRealKungLao
AbsoluteSubZero

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

CapnAndy posted:

I think there was a rights issue with Johnny Cage at the time, something about the original mocap guy suing them or something? I know the games killed him off too around then and it wasn't a coincidence.

IIRC what happened was that they fired the guy who played Johnny Cage because he did promotional work for another fighting game referencing the fact that he worked on Mortal Kombat.

Anyway, Tom Holland has confirmed that the new Spider-Man is the last on his current contract (outside of another MCU appearance.)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

IIRC what happened was that they fired the guy who played Johnny Cage because he did promotional work for another fighting game referencing the fact that he worked on Mortal Kombat.

Yeah so they killed his rear end offscreen in the games, and when they brought him back in 4 due to fan demand he was much more of a joke character.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

muscles like this! posted:

Anyway, Tom Holland has confirmed that the new Spider-Man is the last on his current contract (outside of another MCU appearance.)
Yeah it’s not looking like we get any more Spider-Man solo films

You never know, but none of the Spidey actors have ever made more than 3

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
divorced from any film context the Beetlejuice cartoon was pretty drat good

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Do we expect any character to make it to 4? Thor appears to be in a supporting role for Love & Thunder and Asgardians.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

SonicRulez posted:

Do we expect any character to make it to 4? Thor appears to be in a supporting role for Love & Thunder and Asgardians.

That's still Chris Hemsworth in the starring role. Just like Ragnarok even though there were a lot of other characters who got screen time.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

SonicRulez posted:

I think Spidey will, (possible hot take/bold prediction), with or without Holland. The character is too popular and brand is too strong for them to just let him go, and recasting him isn't some moral quandary like the Black Panther situation.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Feb 26, 2021

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I'd really like to see Holland stick around and go onto become a new central Avengers guy because then at least one Peter Parker would have some upward mobility that is likely to stick instead of being unceremoniously ripped away by Dr. Octopus or the devil or whatever

And then they can add Miles to the MCU, allowing all those people who were complaining about Spider-man having Iron Man as a role model to unclench, because Spider-Man will have Spider-Man as a role model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

OnimaruXLR posted:

I'd really like to see Holland stick around and go onto become a new central Avengers guy because then at least one Peter Parker would have some upward mobility that is likely to stick instead of being unceremoniously ripped away by Dr. Octopus or the devil or whatever

And then they can add Miles to the MCU, allowing all those people who were complaining about Spider-man having Iron Man as a role model to unclench, because Spider-Man will have Spider-Man as a role model.

Peter Parker in Spider-Verse was doing awesome until he died!