Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Michael Bay directed the Aaron Burr "Got Milk?" ad so at least he's got that going for him.

As a little kid, that commercial is how I learned about that duel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

AFewBricksShy posted:

I think it was pretty justified. Electricity through your heart is bad news.

He might not be safety conscious, but he's not forcing anyone else to use a lathe dangerously (although he is probably setting a bad example for people who watch his channel)

Adam wanted to do a stunt where he jumps off a four-story building and lands on a series of awnings to break his fall. The insurance company said that he was too valuable to risk it, but they let Tory do the stunt instead.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

no no no guys the link is shooting technicolor on a nuclear test site

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Conqueror_(1956_film)

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib

axolotl farmer posted:

Donut filler or stigmata machine?

https://i.imgur.com/8F8x27q.mp4

:chef: "Hans, why did you design the machine so the needles are pupil-width apart and the actuating levers are were someone could be putting their hands if they're falling towards it?"

:fsn: "..."

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

small ghost posted:

I mean it's not my only example lol, it just pinged in my brain because I'd just been talking to my dad about it. There's definitely been a suggested link - it occasionally gets referred to as "the photographer's disease", and there's solvents used in some kinds of colour processing that have been implicated in Parkinson's studies before.

Film development itself is pretty OSHA, or it definitely used to be. Developing colour 35mm in the '60s for sure meant a bunch of lads pranking each other with unpleasant chemicals in unventilated total darkness lol.

I guess if you want classic OSHA he almost drowned filming a documentary on an oil rig once because the producer lied and said the camera crew were all dive certified?

Film processing is absolutely OSHA, and editorial used to be back in the day too. Not only are you working with film and chemicals and poo poo, many of the edit rooms on studio lots were put in basements where hazardous materials used to be stored/leaked/etc. I heard one story from an old timer where the whole department got sick and many began vomiting and/or passed out during the course of one weekend. Turns out the building fans shut off on Friday night and unsafe gasses would build up in the rooms. They never figured out exactly what it was, but it wasn't carbon monoxide.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Chamale posted:

Adam wanted to do a stunt where he jumps off a four-story building and lands on a series of awnings to break his fall. The insurance company said that he was too valuable to risk it, but they let Tory do the stunt instead.

Was that before or after the time they made him break a leg falling off a roof wearing a completely poo poo safety harness?

insta
Jan 28, 2009

sigher posted:

This is a couple pages back but I didn't see anyone respond to this, but what the gently caress is happening here?

You can pretty easily get a lot of liquid propane inside the fittings, that will burn for a long time after disconnected. I have one of those rosebud-burners, and it burns for like 2 minutes after the propane tank has been fully unscrewed.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
witchcraft it is

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Dip Viscous posted:

Was that before or after the time they made him break a leg falling off a roof wearing a completely poo poo safety harness?

Before. Tory did a lot of the dumbass stunts, IIRC it was because only he had insurance that would cover it

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/E2zEQz7.mp4

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

small ghost posted:

I mean it's not my only example lol, it just pinged in my brain because I'd just been talking to my dad about it. There's definitely been a suggested link - it occasionally gets referred to as "the photographer's disease", and there's solvents used in some kinds of colour processing that have been implicated in Parkinson's studies before.

Film development itself is pretty OSHA, or it definitely used to be. Developing colour 35mm in the '60s for sure meant a bunch of lads pranking each other with unpleasant chemicals in unventilated total darkness lol.

I guess if you want classic OSHA he almost drowned filming a documentary on an oil rig once because the producer lied and said the camera crew were all dive certified?

I developed black & white (Tri-X) and color slide film (Kodachrome) for years, from college until I was in my thirties. Nothing yet. We used to pour the developer (D-76 & Dektol) down the sink. Don't know what they do with it now. The stop bath was basically vinegar and the fixer was not an issue IIRC.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Let's not forget Tori's ultimate stunt.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Let's not forget Tori's ultimate stunt.

Pictured: the guy with affordable stunt insurance(???)

You'd think that premium would have crept up till the producers stopped paying but what do I know about stunt insurance.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
As someone who broke his nose, teeth, wrist, and received a concussion doing bike stunts as a young moron, I still wince at this.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

zedprime posted:

Pictured: the guy with affordable stunt insurance(???)

You'd think that premium would have crept up till the producers stopped paying but what do I know about stunt insurance.

Nah, Kari just told him to do a jump IIRC

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Don't forget about the time that they rigged a car to be remote controlled, had Tory sit in the back seat while they tested it, and then they lost control of the car.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump
Or that time they accidentally shot a house with a cannon.

RobotCoupeDetat
Nov 3, 2020

Imagine making the effort to dig the hole, but not having enough energy to squat.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

RobotCoupeDetat posted:

Imagine making the effort to dig the hole, but not having enough energy to squat.

I also like how high the seat is from the ground. Unless you're pretty tall you're gonna be dangling and holding your feet out so you don't go all over them + your pants

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

That is why I always poop naked.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Syrian Lannister posted:

As someone who broke his nose, teeth, wrist, and received a concussion doing bike stunts as a young moron, I still wince at this.

I only chipped a tooth and bit through my lower lip but yeah :same:.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

People who hate mythbusters love to bring this one up. “Oh they shot an actual cannonball from an actual cannon and it ended up in a house in a residential neighborhood” which is all true but in their defense that could have happened to anyone shooting a cannon in a populated area

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

People who hate mythbusters love to bring this one up. “Oh they shot an actual cannonball from an actual cannon and it ended up in a house in a residential neighborhood” which is all true but in their defense that could have happened to anyone shooting a cannon in a populated area

https://i.imgur.com/133SGq9.mp4

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

Not me. I love to bring it up because I liked the show.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

madeintaipei posted:

You don't want too nice or fast of a car, either. At any point, the judges can confiscate your ride and destroy it with construction equipment.

They quit doing that like a decade ago because it's too mean spirited. Nowadays those guys just get a ton of penalty laid added to their score... and probably blow up early anyways.

One of the most recent races had a fully race prepped Mustang enter. Got a poo poo load of penalty laps.

Lasted about 24 seconds into the first lap.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Weeeeelllllll

The stupid thing about this is that it wasn't originally a populated area. The bomb range they did a lot of stuff at was originally set up, y'know, away from populated areas, because it was a BOMB RANGE.

Then idiot developers started putting houses near it. So as with all the other situations where this has happened, and if you count OSHA worthy sites like old factories and industrial areas in general that are now residential, who's really to blame?

I live half a mile from where an old manufacturing plant used to be which dumped shitloads of PCE into the ground, and the land is covered with expensive townhomes now. All of which have a lot of bullshit in their purchasing documents basically stating "you live on a chemical spill, if you get sick that's your problem". As stupid and lovely as the people who ran the factory were, and while it's clearly their fault the ground is now cancer, are they really responsible for the fact you can now buy a house sitting on top of their old site?

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

I basically lost interest in the show after this tbh. Like they were obviously just a bunch of idiots loving around at that point doing the bare minimum of planning for anything. I used to take more safety precautions when I would put random poo poo in the 'science microwave' I got at a garage sale for 5 bucks.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

This is our new Watermelon Cutting Safety Table. Looks like our experimental vids got leaked early (we're still evaluating how much it reduces bagel slicing incidents).

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Weeeeelllllll

The stupid thing about this is that it wasn't originally a populated area. The bomb range they did a lot of stuff at was originally set up, y'know, away from populated areas, because it was a BOMB RANGE.

Then idiot developers started putting houses near it. So as with all the other situations where this has happened, and if you count OSHA worthy sites like old factories and industrial areas in general that are now residential, who's really to blame?

I live half a mile from where an old manufacturing plant used to be which dumped shitloads of PCE into the ground, and the land is covered with expensive townhomes now. All of which have a lot of bullshit in their purchasing documents basically stating "you live on a chemical spill, if you get sick that's your problem". As stupid and lovely as the people who ran the factory were, and while it's clearly their fault the ground is now cancer, are they really responsible for the fact you can now buy a house sitting on top of their old site?

They didn't have to shoot a cannon there by any means. Totally different situation than a housing development going up next to an active refinery.

Fat Loser
May 27, 2004

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

That is why I always poop naked.

:hfive:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Source4Leko posted:

I basically lost interest in the show after this tbh. Like they were obviously just a bunch of idiots loving around at that point doing the bare minimum of planning for anything. I used to take more safety precautions when I would put random poo poo in the 'science microwave' I got at a garage sale for 5 bucks.

Hi I would like to hear these stories please

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Jesus, that Pepto Bismol product placement @3 minutes. I remember that movie was poo poo, but forgot just how loving poo poo it was.

AFewBricksShy posted:

I think it was pretty justified. Electricity through your heart is bad news.

He might not be safety conscious, but he's not forcing anyone else to use a lathe dangerously (although he is probably setting a bad example for people who watch his channel)

He literally sells this "demerit badge" to make light of that lathe incident

MisterOblivious fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Feb 26, 2021

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

EasilyConfused posted:

That's your example of OSHA in the film industry? I don't think there's even a suggested link, unless they are using lead in their film development.

Lead is like, just one of several hundred, maybe thousands of substances that cause neurological problems. A great many manufacturing process use chemicals you don't want to be exposed to. A link here to the solvents wouldn't be surprising.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Memento posted:

Hi I would like to hear these stories please

RAM was really cool. Multiple sticks of RAM arranged in patterns was even cooler.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

I just had a great idea. Going to the bathroom in space is difficult since there's no gravity to flush everything down, right? So what if we put the astronauts close to the center of a big centrifuge and spin them up while they go to the bathroom? That way, all the, uh, waste product gets spun out to the outside rim where it can be mopped up. Plus it helps prevent bone density loss by simulating gravity, so it's a win win!

(Except for the poor chump who has to clean the rim later. They lose.)

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Karia posted:

I just had a great idea. Going to the bathroom in space is difficult since there's no gravity to flush everything down, right? So what if we put the astronauts close to the center of a big centrifuge and spin them up while they go to the bathroom? That way, all the, uh, waste product gets spun out to the outside rim where it can be mopped up. Plus it helps prevent bone density loss by simulating gravity, so it's a win win!

(Except for the poor chump who has to clean the rim later. They lose.)

When the Apollo missions were going up to space, they didn't have the toilets figured out yet so they pooped in bags. The bags were treated with antibacterial gel inside to prevent the poop from forming gases and exploding the poop bags. After they pooped, they would have to massage the bag for about five minutes so that the poop was thoroughly mixed in with the gel.

Captain Jim Lovell, portrayed by Tom Hanks in the movie Apollo 13, didn't like doing this. So, being in charge of the mission, he delegated it.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Memento posted:

. After they pooped, they would have to massage the bag for about five minutes so that the poop was thoroughly mixed in with the gel.

I did that one time. No gel though, and it was in a cube van (or box truck to some of you).

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Memento posted:

When the Apollo missions were going up to space, they didn't have the toilets figured out yet so they pooped in bags. The bags were treated with antibacterial gel inside to prevent the poop from forming gases and exploding the poop bags. After they pooped, they would have to massage the bag for about five minutes so that the poop was thoroughly mixed in with the gel.

Captain Jim Lovell, portrayed by Tom Hanks in the movie Apollo 13, didn't like doing this. So, being in charge of the mission, he delegated it.

the floating turd transcripts are gold.

"it ain't one of mine!"

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Feb 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
(laughter)