Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

flavor.flv posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctnUAICCP98

New RG351 coming out next week with a gameboy DMG form factor and, most importantly, a wood grain finish

I kinda want one. Getting cool GameBoy nostalgia looking at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

It looks cool but I don't like the vertical Game Boy form factor for stuff that uses shoulder buttons. I even prefer the original GBA's layout over the SP for that reason

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

Having this thing run retroarch is really good, I have am rg350 and while it's a decent device the emulators are pretty janky, old and not maintained much at all.

What did strike me from that video is they start up dreamcast sonic but don't really show it running at all, seems kind of fishy to me.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

dreamcast, n64, and psp emulation is wildly inconsistent on the 351. some games run fine but many are unplayable or suffer from severe slowdown

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Gotta wait for the next thing after the 351 for those I'd say

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

flavor.flv posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctnUAICCP98

New RG351 coming out next week with a gameboy DMG form factor and, most importantly, a wood grain finish

Neat but only one analog stick kills any interest I might have had in it, at this point not including two on any of these devices just comes off as the makers being cheapskates

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
I mean they make one with 2 analog sticks, it's the 351P/M, but ~for reasons~ only this new vertical one has the high res screen.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I'm going to guess 351M sales aren't what they hoped.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

got my 351m yesterday and it's a mixed bag

- the screen is kind of mediocre all around, not just in its resolution/aspect ratio's suitability for these systems but in the overall quality. it doesn't get super bright and the dot pitch is pretty high. there's also a bit of backlight bleed on the left of the display (so the bottom of the panel, technically) which isn't really noticeable except on black screens. definitely a noticeable downgrade from the 350m. retroarch does its best with rga scaling but it's still kind of blah for nes/snes/genesis type stuff. handhelds are way better since gb/gg/gba fill most or all of the screen at 2x integer scaling

- the system seems to barely be able to handle wifi. not too surprising seeing as they axed it from the 351p at the last second because they couldn't get it working right. if you leave the wifi on and play off battery power, when the battery hits about 30% the front end becomes extremely unstable and locks up constantly. it works fine at low battery levels if you disable wifi. at first i thought it was my unit but after googling it i found a bunch of people on reddit reporting the same thing and that anbernic support just tells them to keep wifi turned off when you're not using it, which makes sense i guess, but it still feels like sloppy hardware design. i'm glad it's there because it's very nice to be able to add roms wirelessly from my phone, but i wish it were robust enough to be relied upon

- build quality feels just as good as the rg350m, which is very. it's ever so slightly wider and shorter than the 350 which doesn't seem like it would make a big difference but it makes using dual analogs + shoulder buttons more comfortable. the volume buttons have been replaced by a wheel (bring back volume wheels imo) and the power button now has a nice little recess. it feels sturdier than the 350's and you're going to be pressing it a lot less since it doesn't open emulator menus

- i've never used retroarch before and it's kind of bewildering but i'm slowly wrapping my head around it. being able to fully rebind controls for ps1 games is huge and the main reason i will probably keep this thing. being able to use dual analogs for stuff like king's field and armored core is worth the annoyances. i almost screwed up my whole install by restoring the default retroarch settings, which apparently do not include bindings for any of the buttons on the 351. fortunately it didn't save when i reset

- lzdoom loving owns and is the best handheld implementation of doom i have ever used. it's basically gzdoom with software rendering only. custom wad/pk3 support, dual analogs, 60fps (manually adjustable; the game speed is tied to framerate so bumping it up to 60fps actually makes the game 50% faster lol). the real deal

- haven't tested n64/dc/psp stuff yet and i probably won't. i don't relish the idea of downloading a bunch of games and spending ages loving around with them to see which ones are remotely playable

so in conclusion i would say it's a good option for handhelds, 3d ps1 games, and doom, not so good for nes/snes/genesis type stuff, and the wifi is iffy. overall i think the 350m is a better buy even though it is less capable, thanks to its superior display and more mature platform. thanks for attending my ted talk

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Updated the OP a little.

Good post. If nobody minds, I may start quoting some of you in the OP under the specific models so people can get goon reviews and opinions.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Feb 28, 2021

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Rolo posted:

Updated the OP a little.

Good post. If nobody minds, I may start quoting some of you in the OP under the specific models so people can get goon reviews and opinions.

that's cool. i could combine my two effortposts about the 350m and 351m into one thing highlighting their similarities and differences if you think that would be helpful to people

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Rolo posted:

Updated the OP a little.

Rolo posted:

Edit: keep your dog poo poo PSP chat out of here or else. gently caress you and gently caress your PSP.

Edit2: PSP chat is now fine.
:hai:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Can anyone recommend me the best US translation of Mother 3? I’ve given up on Nintendo doing it.

Would this be it? http://mother3.fobby.net

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Rolo posted:

Can anyone recommend me the best US translation of Mother 3? I’ve given up on Nintendo doing it.

Would this be it? http://mother3.fobby.net

that’s the only one, i think. it’s very good. some emulators have trouble syncing up the audio which makes the bonus hits for timing your attacks to the music difficult to pull off. still worth playing though

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Weedle posted:

that’s the only one, i think. it’s very good. some emulators have trouble syncing up the audio which makes the bonus hits for timing your attacks to the music difficult to pull off. still worth playing though

Ok cool, I got it working but the music stutters sometimes so I’ll try it on some more cores before I really get into it.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Honestly the only gba emulator I know that ever got sound sync perfect was gpSP for the psp. 100%ed the original Rhythm Heaven on that, no problem

I don't know what kind of dark pacts that made or with whom, but I swear there was zero delay

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Has anyone with an RG351 played Golden Sun?

I'm quite tempted to buy one of these just to replay those games, but they're notoriously hard to emulate. If anyone's played it, can you tell me A) how it performs and whether or not it stutters in battle scenes and B) whether or not any of the emulators will run it without displaying the odd sprite layering glitches that you can see in the sunlight on the title screen or in Mercury Lighthouse.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The_White_Crane posted:

I'm quite tempted to buy one of these just to replay those games, but they're notoriously hard to emulate. If anyone's played it, can you tell me A) how it performs and whether or not it stutters in battle scenes and B) whether or not any of the emulators will run it without displaying the odd sprite layering glitches that you can see in the sunlight on the title screen or in Mercury Lighthouse.

Not sure how the RG351 runs it but if that's all you want to use it for you might be better off just getting a used GBA and a flashcart.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

respectfully appreciating the design of the clockworkpi "gameshell" and its special "DEOT edition." apparently these aren't amazing to actually use and they're hard to come by at the moment, but drat. fresh, imo

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The_White_Crane posted:

AFAIK it should be spot on.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Not sure how the RG351 runs it but if that's all you want to use it for you might be better off just getting a used GBA and a flashcart.

I’d say this but the RG351 is a cheaper option that gives you a lot of options.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So this is kinda cool for $15

https://youtu.be/zVsnjUJHRpE

He doesn’t go into loading other Roms on there though.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Separate question, how's the DS emulation? I realise it's always gonna suffer from only having one screen, but what's performance like? I'm mostly interested in the Pokemon games, does anyone have any experience of those?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

MarcusSA posted:

Too few buttons, immediately can tell its overpriced at even that price, if one of these devices doesn't have at least either six face buttons or 4 face buttons and at least one set of L/R buttons/triggers there's really no loving point in getting them

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

I got an RG280V as a gift for Christmas and really loved it, but after 30 hours in Breathe of Fire 3 I need something with a slightly more comfortable form factor. I was really hoping the RG351M was going to fix the screen, but as it stands I'm just going to pick up an RG350M.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo
My wife constantly talks about being nostalgic for the Gameboy, what are my options in this space? Is the 280V going to be good for casual play of the GB/C/A and SNES catalog?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Yes, but the 351V is a much more gameboy-like device. What specific model of gameboy/GBA did she have?

I kind of coveted the Gameboy Micro, so the GPM2803P looks appealing.

VideoTapir fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Mar 4, 2021

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

VideoTapir posted:

Yes, but the 351V is a much more gameboy-like device. What specific model of gameboy/GBA did she have?

I kind of coveted the Gameboy Micro, so the GPM3803P looks appealing.

I think she spent most of her time on Gameboy Color (and GBA SP) which is why I think vertical. The 351V is delayed, right?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Looks like. There are no listings on Taobao ATM.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i posted this screen comparison in the general retro gaming thread; probably useful here too. rg350m on the left, rg351m on the right

home consoles look significantly worse across the board on the 351. all of the 351 shots have rga scaling enabled. your other options are bilinear filtering (similar but a little blurrier), no filtering (pixels are inconsistently sized, looks awful), or no scaling at all (postage stamp window). the 350 is just using straight 2x integer scaling with no filter

StarTropics (NES)

Uninivted (NES)

Comix Zone (Genesis)

Aladdin (Genesis)

Mega Man X (SNES)

Super Mario RPG (SNES)

game boy, gbc, and game gear games look exactly the same on both systems. no filtering, 3x integer scaling on 350, 2x on 351

Metal Gear Solid (GBC)

gba games are pixel-perfect on the 351 but still look very good on the 350m. probably not as good on the 350p or original 350 though, because their displays are 320x240

Final Fantasy VI

The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap

the game boy and gba emulators that shipped with my 350 did not have good-looking scaling options, but these updated ones do

https://github.com/bardeci/gambatte-dms/releases/download/20210116/gambatte-dms-rg350m-r572u4-20210116.opk
https://github.com/jdgleaver/ReGBA/releases/download/1.7/regba_rg350.opk

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

SchnorkIes posted:

I think she spent most of her time on Gameboy Color (and GBA SP) which is why I think vertical. The 351V is delayed, right?

Give the powkiddy v90 a look. Not quite as powerful as the 351 or even the 350, but the form factor is, well, a big factor

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

The_White_Crane posted:

Separate question, how's the DS emulation? I realise it's always gonna suffer from only having one screen, but what's performance like? I'm mostly interested in the Pokemon games, does anyone have any experience of those?

You can flip between screens with the shoulder buttons, or have both side-by-side (severely shrunk). The right stick moves a virtual stylus around to use the touchscreen - it's passable for minimal input but definitely wouldn't want to use it for touch-heavy games. Luckily Pokemon is completely playable (at least at the start, I haven't got far) without using the touchscreen, you just have to toggle which screen is displayed when you open the menu. Performance is ok - not quite the same as a native DS but playable, especially for an RPG.

flavor.flv posted:

Give the powkiddy v90 a look. Not quite as powerful as the 351 or even the 350, but the form factor is, well, a big factor

It's also (surprisingly) a lot quicker to just pick up and get into a game. I have the RG351P (running 351elec) and the V90 and just did a side-by-side comparison.
  • Cold boot to menu: 7s vs 21s
  • Load Earthbound (SNES): 3s vs 16s
So minus menu navigation (i.e. the human factor) it's 10s vs nearly 40s to get into a game.

The 351P feels a world more premium compared to the V90's cheap plastic, the UI is far nicer, has far more options/features, and it can emulate a lot more systems. But the V90 has the right screen resolution for home consoles (as in Weedle's post above) - I've found myself starting to play some games on that in preference to the "better" 351P. SNES is pushing the top end of what it can handle though - there are definitely some games (e.g. Yoshi's Island) that are unplayable on it.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Froist posted:

You can flip between screens with the shoulder buttons, or have both side-by-side (severely shrunk). The right stick moves a virtual stylus around to use the touchscreen - it's passable for minimal input but definitely wouldn't want to use it for touch-heavy games. Luckily Pokemon is completely playable (at least at the start, I haven't got far) without using the touchscreen, you just have to toggle which screen is displayed when you open the menu. Performance is ok - not quite the same as a native DS but playable, especially for an RPG.

Sweet, thank you!

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Froist posted:

It's also (surprisingly) a lot quicker to just pick up and get into a game. I have the RG351P (running 351elec) and the V90 and just did a side-by-side comparison.
  • Cold boot to menu: 7s vs 21s
  • Load Earthbound (SNES): 3s vs 16s
So minus menu navigation (i.e. the human factor) it's 10s vs nearly 40s to get into a game.

The 351P feels a world more premium compared to the V90's cheap plastic, the UI is far nicer, has far more options/features, and it can emulate a lot more systems. But the V90 has the right screen resolution for home consoles (as in Weedle's post above) - I've found myself starting to play some games on that in preference to the "better" 351P. SNES is pushing the top end of what it can handle though - there are definitely some games (e.g. Yoshi's Island) that are unplayable on it.

worth noting that there are two cfw variants for the 351: the aforementioned 351elec as well as arkos. i run arkos on mine and haven’t used 351elec, but i did read that the long game launch times are a problem with 351elec specifically, and the devs are actively working on improving it. it definitely takes a lot less than 16 seconds to launch a snes game on arkos though

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Weedle posted:

i posted this screen comparison in the general retro gaming thread; probably useful here too. rg350m on the left, rg351m on the right

home consoles look significantly worse across the board on the 351. all of the 351 shots have rga scaling enabled. your other options are bilinear filtering (similar but a little blurrier), no filtering (pixels are inconsistently sized, looks awful), or no scaling at all (postage stamp window). the 350 is just using straight 2x integer scaling with no filter

bunch of screens

the game boy and gba emulators that shipped with my 350 did not have good-looking scaling options, but these updated ones do

https://github.com/bardeci/gambatte-dms/releases/download/20210116/gambatte-dms-rg350m-r572u4-20210116.opk
https://github.com/jdgleaver/ReGBA/releases/download/1.7/regba_rg350.opk

Thanks for this--it was exactly the push I needed to help myself decide. I'm going with the 350M.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Weedle posted:

worth noting that there are two cfw variants for the 351: the aforementioned 351elec as well as arkos. i run arkos on mine and haven’t used 351elec, but i did read that the long game launch times are a problem with 351elec specifically, and the devs are actively working on improving it. it definitely takes a lot less than 16 seconds to launch a snes game on arkos though

Oh yeah, I've used both of them, previously arkOS as my main and then switched over to 351elec for a variety of preference reasons. Maybe I should set up a recent arkOS image again to compare..

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
It feels like every single one of these things is ALMOST there but for one obvious flaw.

Like looking at them your choices are:

- At least 640x480 screen resolution
- Good button layout/dual analog sticks
- Decent processor/software
- Under $150

Pick any three.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Imagined posted:

It feels like every single one of these things is ALMOST there but for one obvious flaw.

Like looking at them your choices are:

- At least 640x480 screen resolution
- Good button layout/dual analog sticks
- Decent processor/software
- Under $150

Pick any three.

yup. an rg351 with the rg350m display would be the perfect retro handheld. but alas

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

MarcusSA posted:

I wouldn’t be able to get over the ugliest bezels ever.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

you're not feeling the

o

?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Those would be fun stocking stuffers or office secret santa gifts even with that but I can't support the screen being off center even for $15.