Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Did the union even get anything for agreeing to the rookie wage scale? Or were they just happy there'd be more money for veterans now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Intruder posted:

Did the union even get anything for agreeing to the rookie wage scale? Or were they just happy there'd be more money for veterans now?
the idea was there would be more money for veterans, what actually happened is mid-level veterans got cut

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
All the money that was saved from rookie contracts ended up going to the super stars at a few positions: QB, WR, pass rusher. Everyone else got screwed.

Intruder posted:

Yeah but Bradford is basically the reason they created the rookie scale to begin with IIRC

He was like the third highest player in the league before taking his first snap or something

JaMarcus was also part of the reason. $61,000,000 contract with $32,000,000 guaranteed.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Intruder posted:

Yeah but Bradford is basically the reason they created the rookie scale to begin with IIRC

He was like the third highest player in the league before taking his first snap or something

Sam Bradford signed a 6 year, $76,000,000 ($12.666~ million per year) contract after being drafted first overall in 2010.
Cam Newton signed a 4 year, $22,000,000 (5.5 million per year) contract after being drafted first overall in 2011.
Joe Burrow signed a 4 year, $36,190,137 ($9.047 million per year) contract after being drafted first overall in 2020.

On this pace, the player drafted first overall in 2032 will make about the same amount of money per year as Sam Bradford did on this rookie deal.

The player drafted first overall in ~2050 will get slightly over $76,000,000 for his rookie contract.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

wyoak posted:

the idea was there would be more money for veterans, what actually happened is mid-level veterans got cut

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

All the money that was saved from rookie contracts ended up going to the super stars at a few positions: QB, WR, pass rusher. Everyone else got screwed.

This. In theory, the money saved by not going to rookies would be used to pay or resign proven vets with a team. It was entirely presented as if the difference would be going toward all the mid-level guys and every position would see decent bumps in pay as more money was available and the cap kept going up.

In actuality, what happened is the vast majority of that money went to the stars or someone coming off a good reason, which is why every few years we had a new highest paid QB in NFL history. IIRC, Joe Flacco was the first guy to clearly benefit from that, getting a 6-year, $120 million contract right after winning the Super Bowl, but that was passed before the next season by a bunch of other guys (See Febreeze's various money fort comics). I think backup QBs started getting paid a bit more as well, relative to what they'd gotten in the past, but that may have been the only position that really benefitted from it.

I'm sure there's a trickle down joke or something that someone who better understands economics can make.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, you can look at franchise tag costs per position to see a real macro view of the top contracts. The biggest jump is lol pass rushing interior linemen, but uh, go ahead and name the ones in the NFL in 2010.

2010, 2015, 2020
$128m cap, $143m, $198m - total salary cap.

QB: $16.4 | $18.5 | $26.8 - Went from 12% to 13.5% of the cap
RB: $8.2 | $10.9 | $10.3 - 6.4% to 5.2%
WR: $9.6 | $12.8 | $17.9 - 7.5% to 9%
OL: $10.7 | $12.9 | $14.8
TE: $5.9 | $8.3 |$10.6

DE: $12.4 | $14.8 | $17.8
DT: $7.0 | $11.2 | $16.1
LB: $9.7 | $13.2 | $15.8
CB: $9.5 | $13.0 | $16.3
SF: $6.5 | $9.6 | $11.4

ST: $2.8 | $4.1 | $5

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

wyoak posted:

The big reason for this is that rookie contracts are really very long, so you could keep rolling the dice on rookies until you got some good ones, then sit on them for the remaining 3-4 seasons on their contracts, while cutting the ones who suck.

The fix for this seems obvious? at least to my eyes -- make rookie contracts shorter, so that teams can't just churn through rookies nonstop and will have to sign veterans for stability.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

SKULL.GIF posted:

The big reason for this is that rookie contracts are really very long, so you could keep rolling the dice on rookies until you got some good ones, then sit on them for the remaining 3-4 seasons on their contracts, while cutting the ones who suck.

The fix for this seems obvious? at least to my eyes -- make rookie contracts shorter, so that teams can't just churn through rookies nonstop and will have to sign veterans for stability.

You'd also have to adjust the Restricted free agency rules, but I think I'd be okay with keeping them, just either maxing out the tender at a 3rd round pick, or upping the 1st / 2nd round tenders to requiring near franchise tag numbers.

But yeah, rookie contracts should be like 3 years long at most. Figure out if they're good, then pay them what they're worth.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Eifert Posting posted:

I might be wrong but I thought in the event someone holds out on a contract under the modern CBA the team can go after their signing bonus.

I'd love to be wrong in that front it's loving Byzantine.

afaik they can only go after a pro-rated amount of it based on how many actual games you hold out

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Kalli posted:

But yeah, rookie contracts should be like 3 years long at most. Figure out if they're good, then pay them what they're worth.

This would also help the RB situation enormously.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

indigi posted:

afaik they can only go after a pro-rated amount of it based on how many actual games you hold out

Yup

Any money he already had been paid is his. They will obviously sue him but he’s still sitting pretty with all that cash.

He can absolutely afford to wait them out. I guess they technically can, too... but who knows. Game of chicken.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
maybe have some sort of cap-exempt portion of a salary for veteran re-signings or something like that

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Intruder posted:

Oh I know why there was the drop. It’s still crazy to see.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

wyoak posted:

maybe have some sort of cap-exempt portion of a salary for veteran re-signings or something like that

This sort of exists already in a tiny way. Rookies make a minimum of $610k (this got upped by like 20% in the last CBA, which is kinda cool btw).

If a vet player is earning the minimum (a sliding scale that goes up to like $1.5m for players with 10+ years experience), the salary only counts for a 2nd year player's minimum against the cap as long as they also make under like $100k in bonuses. Problem is, those numbers are so negligible that whooooo cares when it comes to the cap.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

wyoak posted:

It's like a milder version of what's destroyed the FA market in MLB, seems like one of these days some of the players' unions would realize that providing ownership with a large class of players who they're free to wildly underpay is actually also bad for the veteran market.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/DanGrazianoESPN/status/1365029931055464461?s=20

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Good for Watson.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

https://twitter.com/JohnCPrepper98/status/1365033424709431298

Watson might be dug in but hard to see how anyone could be more dug in than a super religious person/organization that thinks they're right in God's eyes

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
lmao gently caress off caserio

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

dirty shrimp money posted:

https://twitter.com/JohnCPrepper98/status/1365033424709431298

Watson might be dug in but hard to see how anyone could be more dug in than a super religious person/organization that thinks they're right in God's eyes

That account has got to be fake/troll

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

pasaluki posted:

Burner for Texans front office stooge seems to be the consensus IIRC

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

pasaluki posted:

It's caserio's burner.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Feel like it's too on the nose for that, just a very well observed troll

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

Mr. Nice! posted:

It's caserio's burner.

No it's not.

It's the same as Matt Patricia's "burner"

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

It's caserio's burner.

We all desperately want it to be, but it does feel a little TOO perfect. Then again absolutely nothing is too ridiculous for this Houston drama. If it ends up really being Caserio and he's still going at it despite people being onto him for weeks, it would barely crack the top 10 antics of the Easterby era.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean if your a burner you absolutely should post through it. Stopping basically confirms it

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

it's tim kelly's uncle's burner

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
It's mine. I'm trying to keep Watson out the East.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

Eifert Posting posted:

I don't know if I agree with this. The new CBA made holding out pretty much impossible without fiscally shooting yourself in the foot. obviously I'm no expert but I feel like Watson's leverage would have been much higher a few years back before the new CBA

regardless of CBA he just got paid his guaranteed money so when it comes down to it he can eat fines/lose entire seasons and still be set for life. his leverage is he's basically retired unless houston trades him. hypothetically the more time that goes by the less value deshaun has so it puts the pressure on houston to either get something sooner rather than later

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Sour Diesel posted:

regardless of CBA he just got paid his guaranteed money so when it comes down to it he can eat fines/lose entire seasons and still be set for life. his leverage is he's basically retired unless houston trades him. hypothetically the more time that goes by the less value deshaun has so it puts the pressure on houston to either get something sooner rather than later

It's so loving logical is seems inevitable, yet I'd give it even odds that the rich failson and zealot executive ignore reality.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Also the longer he waits the better the chances Easterby gets busted for running some horrible criminal enterprise.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Also the longer he waits the better the chances Easterby gets busted for running some horrible criminal enterprise.

He has trans hooker written all over him

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

He has an account here.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

fartknocker posted:

He has an account here.

He probably posts 75 times a day in CSPAM

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

Sataere posted:

lol yea fuckin owned bitch

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

He probably posts 75 times a day in CSPAM

I said C-SPAM before, so I’m gonna update it to say his posts are evenly split between there, QCS, and... let’s say CD.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy

Sataere posted:

whats wrong with a good time

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

fartknocker posted:

I said C-SPAM before, so I’m gonna update it to say his posts are evenly split between there, QCS, and... let’s say CD.

He’s in CSPAM saying a misspelled version of Trump 25 times a day, he’s in QCS yelling at the mods for probating someone who said that Tinanamen Square never happened 25 times a day, and is in CD talking about how Zack Snyder is a genius 25 times a day.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

uh huh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
this guy sounds like a real bad guy!