Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Rytheric posted:

I am getting an agent but im probably going to see if they can salvage this situation. The nature is that the owner found out the his agent was trying to sell it to me for 20,000 and figures that's what I'm willing to pay for it. What he didn't realize was that price included bits of the due diligence. if I can get an agent to convince him to come down on it to cover things the sellers agent was figuring it to their costs like the survey, it will be all good. If he will go half halfsies with me on the due diligence im down.

At the risk of bungee cording my own metaphorical sawzall to an excavator here... You're looking at this entirely the wrong way. This is an absolute garbage piece of land with numerous red flags. Doesn't mean you can't buy it. But it means nobody else wants to buy it. That means you can offer $8 and a ride in the truck for it. Or 10k. Whatever. Then, and this is absolutely key and the part you are constitutionally incapable of, you have to be just fine walking away if the other side doesn't take it. Because you will know there are other options that are, at worst, just as bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

builds character posted:

At the risk of bungee cording my own metaphorical sawzall to an excavator here... You're looking at this entirely the wrong way. This is an absolute garbage piece of land with numerous red flags. Doesn't mean you can't buy it. But it means nobody else wants to buy it. That means you can offer $8 and a ride in the truck for it. Or 10k. Whatever. Then, and this is absolutely key and the part you are constitutionally incapable of, you have to be just fine walking away if the other side doesn't take it. Because you will know there are other options that are, at worst, just as bad.

This guy is correct. You can contact the owner and say I'll do eight take it or leave it and they might just take it.

Make sure he's the actual owner, though.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Yeah FIRST:
Get a realtor

SECOND:
Be ready to walk

THIRD:
Make an offer

FOURTH:
Make sure there’s no lien on the land (hint: there is)

FIFTH:
Walk and get a better piece of land for cheaper.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I just cut (well, cleaned up circular saw cuts) in a couple pieces of plywood with a chisel, no one tell Rytheric.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

OH gently caress WRONG THREAD HOW DO I DELETE

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

As someone who has purchased property before that had problems in the past because of being hasty to buy, Get a goddamn buyer's agent, and hold out until you find the right loving property. Just owning and maintaining a regular rear end house is expensive as hell, and I have a dual income family situation going on. No need to make things more expensive and laborious for yourself if you can avoid it. Focus on finishing the truk for now and have a property search going with your agent on the side. If the right place comes up for the right price you can make a move. I want more truck progress pics in the meantime! Doors gotta be going in soon, right?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

builds character posted:

At the risk of bungee cording my own metaphorical sawzall to an excavator here...

Phleeeeuze.....I'm a professional. That was a harbor freight ratchet strap.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

builds character posted:

This. All of this right here.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

This is just incredible stuff

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Mr. Nice! posted:

I love this thread.

Also, ry, this is the type hand drill you need:

I made a planter box last year and mounted my security camera with a drill like this. I bought a new ryobi a little while back that is much easier to use, but its nice having a backup.

Or something in here
https://woodandshop.com/woodworking-hand-tool-buying-guide-hand-drills-braces-bits/

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Rytheric's not goon in the well, they're goon in a pit toilet.

I have been watching this thread with :suspense: and not posting because I would be one of the angry-posters otherwise, but I feel the need to chime in and add my vote to team "walk the gently caress away."

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Tunicate posted:

According to an email i just got, there are a lot of 'Motivated Sellers Accepting End-Of-Month Offers', and 'This is a great opportunity to purchase needed equipment now - and at great savings!', so if you want some construction equipment now I'd suggest you buy-buy-buy

https://www.bidadoo.com/auctions?fo...ampaign=website

more like "bid adoo to your money"

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

beep-beep car is go posted:

Yeah FIRST:
Get a realtor

SECOND:
Be ready to walk

THIRD:
Make an offer

FOURTH:
Make sure there’s no lien on the land (hint: there is)

FIFTH:
Walk and get a better piece of land for cheaper.

This. Almost exactly how it worked out for me buying a house. First place that was even passable still needed serious work, so we offered $20k under asking. They passed, so we kept looking with our great realtor, he found a better place for $50k less than the previous offer, and we managed to get the owner to throw in a $20k sewer hook up the city was going to demand too.

This current piece of land seems like a bunch of scammy BS. Get a realtor, get a better deal on better land and in that have more resources to make your bigger reaches possible.

At the very least, absolutely do not offer even 10k without getting a realtor to take you around to see what else is out there. Take a weekend to see what a pro might secure you, for no additional cost other than time.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Now imaging if you will that next to the scrap wood shoe matt (damn right im going to have people kick off their shoes before entering my tiny home) a rocking chair or camping chair, and then beside that a small grill or sawn off 55-gallon barrel sitting on top of a wire spool.
A little late night relaxation timber framing video.
https://youtu.be/QHphR7uQvDU

And here is an example of the amount of noise timber framing produces

https://youtu.be/-dG786kOBjw

Rytheric fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Feb 26, 2021

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
You're a lost cause.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Hearing protection has come a long way man. You can shoot guns while listening to music and still be able to talk to people if you want. I was shooting sporting clays a few years ago and I cranked up the external mics just to see what they could do and I heard one of the old timers I was with fart from like 30 feet away and he was trying to be sneaky about it.

https://www.amazon.com/PROHEAR-Electronic-Protection-Bluetooth-Amplification/dp/B07YSM7N97

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I saw the thread title change and I thought the boxtruck had caught on fire or something.

N17R4M
Aug 18, 2012

Because yes we actually DID want that land

Space Kablooey posted:

I saw the thread title change and I thought the boxtruck had caught on fire or something.

Only the sages have seen this so far. It has not yet come to pass.

:grovertruk:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Gramps posted:

Hearing protection has come a long way man. You can shoot guns while listening to music and still be able to talk to people if you want. I was shooting sporting clays a few years ago and I cranked up the external mics just to see what they could do and I heard one of the old timers I was with fart from like 30 feet away and he was trying to be sneaky about it.

https://www.amazon.com/PROHEAR-Electronic-Protection-Bluetooth-Amplification/dp/B07YSM7N97

3M do a "worktunes" set of yellow-rated bluetooth ear pro that I use a lot now too.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

yeah I mean I even just use my Samsung BT earbuds and although they're not true earpro they block out a lot of the LOUD NOISES.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Tunicate posted:

for 20k, you can instead guarantee yourself a ROOM WITH A VIEW

buy a couple of these and you can hoist GroverTruk up and have an entire residence with a view!

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007
I have some Sony noise canceling earbuds that are dust and water resistant. They do a pretty good job. Can listen to a podcast when my extremely loud thickness planer is running at least.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

tater_salad posted:

yeah I mean I even just use my Samsung BT earbuds and although they're not true earpro they block out a lot of the LOUD NOISES.

Yeah, they're only rated for I think 15db instead of the ~30db of real ear plugs and ~25db of muffs, but it's enough for basic shop noise and I use them for welding

If I'm doing actually loud things, it's ear plugs and bone conductive headphones

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
OP, have you considered leaving all this country living behind and moving to the big city? Opportunity abounds here!

You can buy a garbage truck for $100 https://www.propertyroom.com/l/2011-mack-leu613-brooklyn-ny-11214/14600297 and then make a cozy little den in the back. Basically combines the best of the grovertruk and a shipping container tiny house.

And if you decide you don't like city life? Like a snail, your house is on your back and you can just mosey on down to the country again. Just pop the back off the truck and timber frame around your premade living room!

You will need to have the truck towed from the lot if you don't have dealer plates but can probably rig up some block and tackle system to spider man it down the street a little ways before you hop in. Maybe you could also become a car dealer and get plates that way?

Sam I Am
Aug 6, 2004

You're a lucky, lucky boy 'cause you know why? You get to drink from, the fire hose!

builds character posted:

You're looking at this entirely the wrong way. This is an absolute garbage piece of land with numerous red flags. Doesn't mean you can't buy it. But it means nobody else wants to buy it. That means you can offer $8 and a ride in the truck for it. Or 10k. Whatever. Then, and this is absolutely key and the part you are constitutionally incapable of, you have to be just fine walking away if the other side doesn't take it. Because you will know there are other options that are, at worst, just as bad.

builds character posted:

OP, have you considered leaving all this country living behind and moving to the big city? Opportunity abounds here!

You can buy a garbage truck for $100 https://www.propertyroom.com/l/2011-mack-leu613-brooklyn-ny-11214/14600297 and then make a cozy little den in the back. Basically combines the best of the grovertruk and a shipping container tiny house.

And if you decide you don't like city life? Like a snail, your house is on your back and you can just mosey on down to the country again. Just pop the back off the truck and timber frame around your premade living room!

You will need to have the truck towed from the lot if you don't have dealer plates but can probably rig up some block and tackle system to spider man it down the street a little ways before you hop in. Maybe you could also become a car dealer and get plates that way?

This man knows what he is talking about in this thread, just check his username, avatar combo.

Ry, please take a deep breath, take a step back and try to listen to some of the great advice you are getting here. Through all the jokes, most of us want you to succeed and we want to be along for the ride. Success for you, does not start with this property. Instead of sharing your progress reports and great, ambitious ideas (which is what brought us all here), we see that your future is going to be mired in wasted money and legal battles. You have experts from multiple fields including construction experts, lawyers, and real estate experts all highly advising you to reassess this decision. It's an incredible resource you've amassed in this thread of people who care and want your success, let them course-correct you.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I definitely want you to succeed without any life altering injury.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

um excuse me posted:

I definitely want you to succeed without any life altering injury.

And without going deep into debt on a property/project that can't recoup its costs

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
And a house where you won't freeze to death when the polar vortex inevitably falls off the pole.

Or a house that won't kill you with mold when it's not vented properly.

Or any structure you try and start a fire in.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Sam I Am posted:

Ry, please take a deep breath, take a step back and try to listen to some of the great advice you are getting here. Through all the jokes, most of us want you to succeed and we want to be along for the ride. Success for you, does not start with this property. Instead of sharing your progress reports and great, ambitious ideas (which is what brought us all here), we see that your future is going to be mired in wasted money and legal battles. You have experts from multiple fields including construction experts, lawyers, and real estate experts all highly advising you to reassess this decision. It's an incredible resource you've amassed in this thread of people who care and want your success, let them course-correct you.

:emptyquote:

copy
Jul 26, 2007

yeah n'thing this sentiment. I'm all for watching this get weird, but I don't want this to end because some dicks fleeced you and each other and then you get stuck in a scammer whirlpool of deceit and litigation. I believe in you, brother!

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

:emptyquote:

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

builds character posted:

quote:

THIS AUCTION IS UNAVAILABLE for bids and/or shipping outside of the Continental United States.
God drat it! loving Americans with all their stupid rules and regulations. :argh:

E: Also Ry should listen to some of the idiots in this thread who are clearly less idiotic than the rest of us.

Lodin fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Feb 26, 2021

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

builds character posted:

A garbage truck without a sun/moon roof is worthless

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Now imaging if you will that next to the scrap wood shoe matt (damn right im going to have people kick off their shoes before entering my tiny home) a rocking chair or camping chair, and then beside that a small grill or sawn off 55-gallon barrel sitting on top of a wire spool.
So the owner backed down to 10k. He doesn't have an agent though anymore. So im going to contact my lawyer Tuesday's to see if they can draw something up contigent on the county accepting the perc test.

In the very least it's a nice place to park my truck lol.

Rytheric fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Feb 27, 2021

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Rytheric posted:

So the owner backed down to 10k. He doesn't have an agent though anymore. So im going to contact my lawyer Tuesday's to see if they can draw something up contigent on the county accepting the perc test.

*starts pissing in the well*

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

dervinosdoom posted:

*starts pissing in the well*

the well is half full not half empty :colbert:

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Rytheric posted:

again,, the seller is scamming you; all of this testing is stuff the *seller* should be paying for, not you

this is a two-layer scam,, and you really really need a buyer's agent

please get an agent that is wholly unconnected to the seller or the seller's property; if you are pig-insistent on rooting for this at the very least drop your offer to five thousand for all of the trouble that is happening

rytheric you are a sweet golden retriever of a man and they are taking advantage of your good nature

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Rytheric posted:

Ry please find a buyer agent to represent you. Here, I have pulled up the two web pages you should click and read.

https://www.caare.org/participate/about-caare-4/
https://www.caare.org/exclusivebuyeragents/north-carolina/

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I don't necessarily think it's a pure scam, having a lawyer look it over is a good first step.

But at the very least the owner's an rear end in a top hat, Ry, stop talking to that dickbag and start doing it through an agent, they won't be able to dick around an agent like they're dicking you around.

Absolutely do not spend another dime on this property unless a professional tells you to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
:zaurg-divorce-gif-but-get-an-agent: