Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Krakkles posted:

What's a main asset?

Oh, you mean like my health/body, which is definitely going to fall apart in the not so distant future? :v:

Wife used to ask why I was so safe with money and kept so much in savings...then we had Winter 2019 and 15k+ in medical bills and associated poo poo. Now she understands and has even started to be better with her savings. Bodies are a massive liability, if yours is working properly be thankful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

everdave posted:

Does anyone know if there is a fix to all of mail in Gmail being in the trash? I am already having a rough day and my mom is calling me in tears telling me to fix it and I can't. She has 208k emails in trash. Yes that is ridiculous. But when your mom is in tears because she is about to lose emails from dead family members I don't know. I have had multiple gmail accounts since '04 and never had this issue.

I had this with an o365 user (who happened to be the principal of a school) and while she would never admin it and we never caught her doing it - it was 100% operator error.
I think in my case she was doing a select all on her inbox via the mobile outlook app (one press) and deleting all selected (which is one more press) - either via user error or via an unlocked phone in her pocket or via her work ipad which was sat at home where she had multiple children who 'weren't allowed to touch it' - but I could see it live via MDM.
I spent about 4 hours the first day moving them back about 10k emails at a time via desktop outlook while also doing actual work. Then it happened again the day after and I made a junior technician sit there and move them back and it took him all day long.
I also unauthorised her phone and ipad in o365 "for security" and made her stay like this for the rest of the week and just use outlook on her laptop and somehow then the issue never happened again...

meatpimp posted:

Mortgage chat -- I refi'd in 2017, 15 year at 2.875. I've been paying it off for about a 9 year end point. At this point, I've paid it down so much that mortgage interest isn't enough to itemize anymore. It's hard, and going to get harder, to keep from just paying it off directly and being mortgage free. But it's still too much of an outlay to comfortably do that.

I just had a 2.5% CD mature and don't know where to put money. I have a strong distrust for the stock market... it's always seemed like a house of cards. But I've said that for so long that I wonder if the powers that be have stacked the house of cards so high that it's actually self-supporting now. Whatever the case, I am flounding with where to put money. No regular bank accounts pay poo poo right now and I'm just burning potential with cash sitting in a .5% account. :smith:

Assuming you're not in negative equity or sitting on a house with a risky value just pay a lump off your mortgage (within any overpayment limits). You don't have to pay the whole mortgage off just reduce it a bit.

knocking $20k off your mortgage will probably reduce the monthly interest by $40 vs the $8/month or whatever that amount earns you in the bank.

I chucked most of my savings at my mortgage (which was at about 4%) at the start of covid following this logic because it got my monthly expenses down as far as possible to deal with a minimal monthly income.
I figure that if i need the money back in the future I'll just re-mortgage the house to get it.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

StormDrain posted:

Bodies are a liability. I didn't ask for it, I have to feed it all the time and cut parts and clean it. gently caress that. That's why I poison it a little from time to time. So we know where we stand.

What about if the firmware driving it is fucky, is there a reflash or an update of some kind

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Krakkles posted:

I've literally spent my entire adult life worrying that if one of many particular things completely outside my control goes wrong, it will all fall apart.

i get that we live in some ways in a unique hell world but isn't this true of pretty much every living person in every era of human history?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

redgubbinz posted:

What about if the firmware driving it is fucky, is there a reflash or an update of some kind

The manufacturer stopped doing updates 20+ years ago

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

redgubbinz posted:

You can do all the maintenence, detailing, use only top tier gasoline and oil, but at the end of the day, it may still be a PT Cruiser. And it's been out of warranty for some time.

Perhaps if you had been born into a Miata, you could get some good aftermarket support.

For what it's worth, all cars are bad. I think I'm in a a saggy camry right now. Still works, was better, was never that great. The best I ever was was probably a mid level challenger. Desirable, good looks, not the top performer or most popular.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Kivi posted:

Any tips on re: where to buy 3U or 4U rack mountable case for generic hardware? EU preferred, as shipping with something like this is quite steep.

It depends on what you're trying to rack. Server enclosures are much deeper than switch enclosures which are about the same size or maybe a little deeper than pro audio enclosures.
I say just buy rails and build your own enclosure out of wood unless you want to spend a ton of money.
https://www.amazon.com/NavePoint-Vertical-Rack-Hardware-Black/dp/B07NKH8PJZ/

There aren't really any 4u server enclosures and the small switch enclosures are overpriced for what they are.

So guys I just did a quick run through of my taxes on HRblock and it says I owe $15k WHAT???
I haven't really added anything except our W2's so I'm not done yet but how the gently caress is that possible? Even with the Fed increasing the amount of underwithholding and my raise last year I just expected to only get a few hundred bucks back. Last year I got a $4k check. WHAT THE gently caress I AM FREAKING OUT NOW.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Feb 25, 2021

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

StormDrain posted:

I actually meant a house for me, a la the 2008 collapse, but it could be a car or a pile of gold or guns or buckets of freeze dried food or a really nice rock.

Bodies are a liability. I didn't ask for it, I have to feed it all the time and cut parts and clean it. gently caress that. That's why I poison it a little from time to time. So we know where we stand.
I was trying to be sarcastic, but: I know what a main asset is, and the fact is my only "main asset" is the fact that I can work 60-80 hours a week and have been for the last couple decades. Not everyone has a main asset in the sense you mean, and while I appreciate the unique duress that can cause, it's pretty definitely worse to know that you're unlikely to even get to that point. That being said, I doubt that getting to that point is going to make it much better, either.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i get that we live in some ways in a unique hell world but isn't this true of pretty much every living person in every era of human history?
Not really, and it doesn't have to be?

Bill Gates and Jeff Bezos don't have to worry about losing their sole residence as StormDrain does, and StormDrain doesn't necessarily - although as he alluded to, it's far from guaranteed either - have to worry about finding a way to pay rent until the day he dies, or hoping to leave anything at all to his children.

Unless by "pretty much every", you mean except the 1%, in which case, carry on, but also, I think people should care about inequality.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Wife used to ask why I was so safe with money and kept so much in savings...then we had Winter 2019 and 15k+ in medical bills and associated poo poo. Now she understands and has even started to be better with her savings. Bodies are a massive liability, if yours is working properly be thankful.
:love:

I've had a more limited time on this earth than most hanging over my head since I was 11, I'm very thankful for what I have had, and incredibly angry about how others have chosen to make it harder. (mostly: healthcare loving suuuuucks)

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Krakkles posted:

I was trying to be sarcastic, but: I know what a main asset is, and the fact is my only "main asset" is the fact that I can work 60-80 hours a week and have been for the last couple decades. Not everyone has a main asset in the sense you mean, and while I appreciate the unique duress that can cause, it's pretty definitely worse to know that you're unlikely to even get to that point. That being said, I doubt that getting to that point is going to make it much better, either.

Not really, and it doesn't have to be?

Bill Gates and Jeff Bezos don't have to worry about losing their sole residence as StormDrain does, and StormDrain doesn't necessarily - although as he alluded to, it's far from guaranteed either - have to worry about finding a way to pay rent until the day he dies, or hoping to leave anything at all to his children.

Unless by "pretty much every", you mean except the 1%, in which case, carry on, but also, I think people should care about inequality.
:love:

I've had a more limited time on this earth than most hanging over my head since I was 11, I'm very thankful for what I have had, and incredibly angry about how others have chosen to make it harder. (mostly: healthcare loving suuuuucks)

You and I would get along. I wasn't sure if you were sarcastic or not and I nearly didn't post but I have an addiction and just post.

I consider myself lucky to be where I am today and I have to be conscious that not everyone is. I tried to reflect that with having non house items on there, because in a hardship I think we all have something we can jettison to stay afloat. Really though, nobody should have to worry about everything falling apart and a sudden and drastic life change. You're wise to know about it and a fool to obsess over it. (you're not a fool we love you).

I almost posted a lot more but tbh I don't need to be heard and I don't expect many of you need it!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Krakkles posted:

Yeah that's pretty much it. You look throughout human history and every individual except the super elite has always been teetering on the brink.

Not saying we shouldn't do anything about it, but I think there's this idea that somehow everything is worse, and it's not really, it's just still as bad as it always was. The Long Postwar for white American males was an aberration.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

builds character posted:

Just in time for summer dirt bikes?

Let me work my way up to springtime bicycles before I commit to summer dirtbikes. You're in NJ, right? I'm hoping to ride the D&R Canal trail once I'm a little more mobile.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Kivi posted:

Any tips on re: where to buy 3U or 4U rack mountable case for generic hardware? EU preferred, as shipping with something like this is quite steep.

Is Chenbro a brand available in the EU? https://www.newegg.com/chenbro-rm42300-f/p/N82E16811123153

Silverstone has this: https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=921&area=en

Coredump fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Feb 25, 2021

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

oh I'm an idiot and totally misunderstood the question. I thought he was looking for a 3-4u rack!

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

It depends on what you're trying to rack. Server enclosures are much deeper than switch enclosures which are about the same size or maybe a little deeper than pro audio enclosures.
I say just buy rails and build your own enclosure out of wood unless you want to spend a ton of money.

There aren't really any 4u server enclosures and the small switch enclosures are overpriced for what they are.

So guys I just did a quick run through of my taxes on HRblock and it says I owe $15k WHAT???
I haven't really added anything except our W2's so I'm not done yet but how the gently caress is that possible? Even with the Fed increasing the amount of underwithholding and my raise last year I just expected to only get a few hundred bucks back. Last year I got a $4k check. WHAT THE gently caress I AM FREAKING OUT NOW.

Did something get double counted, or something else left off entirely? That sounds like a field didn't get populated correctly.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

This certainly doesn't explain that, but could be part of it: Wasn't the "stimulus" basically a loan against next (read: 2021) year's tax refunds?

StormDrain posted:

You and I would get along. I wasn't sure if you were sarcastic or not and I nearly didn't post but I have an addiction and just post.

I consider myself lucky to be where I am today and I have to be conscious that not everyone is. I tried to reflect that with having non house items on there, because in a hardship I think we all have something we can jettison to stay afloat. Really though, nobody should have to worry about everything falling apart and a sudden and drastic life change. You're wise to know about it and a fool to obsess over it. (you're not a fool we love you).

I almost posted a lot more but tbh I don't need to be heard and I don't expect many of you need it!
:love: I think we do! You're one of the posters I like more than average.

I mean, I have to obsess over it, though. There's a $10k device with $xx,xxx worth of yearly supplies and medications attached to my body, and if I hadn't obsessed over it for the last quarter century, it wouldn't be, and I'll die a lot sooner. As it stands, someone could still wake up tomorrow and decide it's going away. Frustratingly, my older brother hasn't had (or needed, apparently) health insurance for many years, and doesn't get why I worry about it so much. That, in a nutshell, is why people happily throw away healthcare security ... enough people think "why would I pay for a scam like health insurance? I've never used it!".

Full transparency, fine, yes, I could sell my Jeep, so technically that is a major asset. I can't see myself ever stomaching it at all, but yeah, if push came to shove, that might give me an infusion of cash. Not much, though ... I might have a price in mind that I would consider it at, but I don't know of many people that would pay it, so realistically it wouldn't pay rent for more than a couple months, at best.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Yeah that's pretty much it. You look throughout human history and every individual except the super elite has always been teetering on the brink.

Not saying we shouldn't do anything about it, but I think there's this idea that somehow everything is worse, and it's not really, it's just still as bad as it always was. The Long Postwar for white American males was an aberration.
We're on the same page. It's not that I think it's worse now, just that it really loving sucks.

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Feb 25, 2021

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Did you do everything start to finish? I'm TurboTax it does this great thing where it gets worse before it gets better, like until you progress through deductions I owe a few grand.

gently caress I need to sit down and do mine too.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

oh I'm an idiot and totally misunderstood the question. I thought he was looking for a 3-4u rack!

Sounds like something I would do.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

STR posted:

Welp, rent's going up by $54/month. And some monthly fees are increasing too, so it's more like $70/mo. That's not that much overall, but seeing as they're advertising my floorplan for less than I'm currently paying.... :fuckoff: OTOH I have well over 800 sq ft, which is a pretty generous size for a 1 bedroom apartment. The kitchen is nice and big too, not a galley kitchen. I really don't want to move yet again either, and "non refundable pet deposits" can eat a bag of microdicks.

I do have two storage units (both 10x10, both climate controlled with elevator access). One of them is pretty empty, one is packed to the gills. Packed to the gills is running about $100/mo, the other is half (different companies). Gonna try and consolidate into the cheaper one, even though it means renting a box truck and taking a day or two off of work. Or, preferably, seeing if the one that's packed out has another available unit at a cheaper rate, but I doubt that's happening (it's a much newer and nicer place, vs the other one that's probably 20-25 years old). Some of it is stuff that can go in the garage (car parts etc), some of it is stuff I just need to get rid of. I DO NOT want to turn my garage into a storage room again; garages are for car poo poo and sometimes man caves, they are not for storing household poo poo. :argh:

Upside: I just got a raise. Downside: I won't know how much it is until my paystub generates next pay cycle. We get 2 a year until we hit "midpoint", the one early in the year doesn't come with a review, hence why I don't know how much it is yet (it should be in the area of 5-10%). The one later in the year comes with a full sit down chat.

Someone schooled me on paying for a storage space once: the thing you have to ask yourself here is: is there anything in that storage that I couldn't replace for $100 x however long it has been/will be in storage. Sentimental items excluded, of course (but only if they are actually valuable to you.) Things like clothes, ordinary furniture (not heirloom, collectable, or whatever,) common junk stuff - that should all be sold or donated. I think of this every time I'm tempted to rent storage to try and empty out my garage and/or shed. Hell, I build my 10x20 shed for $1500, less than a year's worth of storage for you, though I understand that's not really an option for an apartment dweller, just an illustration.
Marie Kondo that poo poo if you can.

Krakkles posted:

and incredibly angry about how others have chosen to make it harder. (mostly: healthcare loving suuuuucks)

Yes. I don't have many health issues, but my wife has had and does. Both of our insurances suck, and frankly, shouldn't be necessary in a First-World country.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

StormDrain posted:

My old work neighbor Matt told a story where he saw his coworker get chewed out brutally by an rear end in a top hat boss. The coworker just took it and got back to work. Matt asked wtf are you OK, and the guy says he needs the job desperately so what can he do? Just go back to work. Matt decided from then on he wanted enough financial independence that h the could tell someone to gently caress off and walk off. So I took that advice to heart. I am not there yet, and with Covid even my best attempt would have fallen short since it seems to take forever to get a new job.

Yeah, literally a "gently caress-off" fund. Mine is my potential house deposit too though, so it's not quite as fuckoffy as i'd like.

meltie fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Feb 25, 2021

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
re: taxes, I just did a prelim run through with just the W2's and didn't include anything else like mortgage and interest income and so on... but we are claiming standard deduction anyway so most of that will only increase the amount that I owe.

I did a quick calc and the amount that I supposedly owe is just under what my effective tax rate is so something is definitely fucky there. I can't find what it is though... but it can't be correct because I have definitely paid more than what my effective tax rate shows. I don't claim any deductions and I withhold extra specifically to avoid this sort of crisis.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

This seems improbable unless you dramatically changed your withholding. Sometimes this happens like you get to choose the number of allowances and you accidentally mark down 35 instead of 2. Otherwise, sounds like some kind of error. Did your actual dollar amount withheld change a lot from last year (including proportional amounts from your raise)?

Safety Dance posted:

Let me work my way up to springtime bicycles before I commit to summer dirtbikes. You're in NJ, right? I'm hoping to ride the D&R Canal trail once I'm a little more mobile.

Queens. I just like riding in the pine barrens a lot.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Krakkles posted:

Healthcare and insurance and two of the biggest scams ever run. On one hand I wasn't supposed to make it out of single digit age, on the other hand it is ALWAYS in the back of my head. My two brothers can probably count the times they've been in the hospital and have fingers to spare, one of them realizes how fortunate he is but the other has no clue. Hang in there man :glomp:

We're planning on sitting down to do out taxes this weekend. Shouldn't owe too bad this year, wife went back to school and we had large medical expenses. Yet every year doing taxes stresses me out bad for no good reason.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Darchangel posted:

How are you doing that? ADB to USB adapter?
I think I have one of those aircraft carriers kicking around still.
Yeah, someone at my work was getting rid of Mac Classic era hardware and software, and was able to get my hands on a Griffin ADB to USB adapter with the load of gear.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

builds character posted:

This seems improbable unless you dramatically changed your withholding. Sometimes this happens like you get to choose the number of allowances and you accidentally mark down 35 instead of 2. Otherwise, sounds like some kind of error. Did your actual dollar amount withheld change a lot from last year (including proportional amounts from your raise)?

My withholdings went up proportional to my income but I did not withhold any additional amount beyond the extra withholdings I had specified the year prior. My deductions on my incomplete 2020 taxes are about $4000 lower than in 2019 and my AGI is about $10k more, but for some reason HR Block seems to think I owe more than double what I owe last year somehow.

I can't seem to find any discrepancies in the W2's so I think I'm just gonna nuke the process and start over because at this point I should just be breaking even.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

builds character posted:

My two cents - you can make this decision based on math which I think will almost certainly have you borrowing at the very low mortgage rate and investing at the much higher stock market rate and making the spread. Or you can make it based on what will make you happiest. Which, it sounds like, is having no mortgage as fast as you can.
100%

There is absolutely value in "piece of mind" knowing you do not have that debt hanging over your head. Sure, you can invest those funds and it shouldn't be hard to make a higher return than interest on the mortgage since it's so low, BUT, the flip side paying off that mortgage is guaranteed equivalent return. There is something to be said that if something disastrous happens to your family, you don't have to liquidate investments or ~whatever~ to pay the bills or make ends meet.

My wife was recently laid off, which is an absolutely foreign feeling for either of us. We have worked our entire adult lives save during school, and even then worked doing something. But, I have almost zero fucks to give. Our house is paid off, we're debt free other than yearly expenses like insurance and property taxes and normal expenses like utilities and enough in the bank for, well, years worth of those kinds of expenses... and I'm still working doing OK so :shrug:

Could we have been further ahead if we didn't pay off our mortgage early and invested the money? Almost certainly, but being in debt loving sucks and I don't like anyone having a lien on anything I own and there is value to that mentally, for us at least.

Not trying to make this a :smug: post, far from it, but just echoing that it might not be a simple math problem for everyone. A lot of mental value to it as well.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

StormDrain posted:

You can do all the maintenence, detailing, use only top tier gasoline and oil, but at the end of the day, it may still be a PT Cruiser. And it's been out of warranty for some time.

Perhaps if you had been born into a Miata, you could get some good aftermarket support.

For what it's worth, all cars are bad. I think I'm in a a saggy camry right now. Still works, was better, was never that great. The best I ever was was probably a mid level challenger. Desirable, good looks, not the top performer or most popular.

I'm a French car through and through. Crappy electrics, questionable plumbing, frame made of cheese. Tries to poo poo itself regularly. When it all works its great, though that's rare as gently caress.

Krakkles posted:

Hey, same! Do you also have that ever-present existential dread that you might someday not be able to keep up?

I've literally spent my entire adult life worrying that if one of many particular things completely outside my control goes wrong, it will all fall apart.

Only when trying to find a piece of poo poo junk class land to buy. Otherwise? I don't try to keep up. My "assets" aren't worth anything in the grand scheme of things, and I've never had a decent job for any length of time outside of my own small businesses. I started with fuckall and still have most of that left.
Historically the men in the family don't live much over 60. Partly diet or drinking, partly poo poo tier genetics. I don't expect to see retirement or old age. Time is ultra loving precious. What works today is guaranteed to be broken tomorrow. Have I mentioned how much it costs in America to keep an old French vehicle running?
I invest in skills and education. loving billionaires or the system can't take that away.
I lived in a bus 10 years ago because the American dream is unattainable bullshit, and I live on the back of a 30 year old Ford truck now for some of the same reasons.

Going out and buying a fancy house and nice cars isn't in the cards for me, I am fine with this. I applaud those that are willing to endure it.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Feb 25, 2021

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

meltie posted:

Yeah, literally a "gently caress-off" fund. Mine is my potential house deposit too though, so it's not quite as fuckoffy as i'd like.

Same. Sucks that home prices here have gone up by 30% since 2018 when we started saving in earnest so we're no closer to buying something. At least if we both get laid off we can move somewhere completely dire and shitpost for 2-3 years before we run out of cash

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

cursedshitbox posted:

Going out and buying a fancy house and nice cars isn't in the cards for me, I am fine with this. I applaud those that are willing to endure it.

We've been very, very fortunate the last few years to have good income and be able to set aside money, have a good house, AND pursue our hobbies, and put some money away for problems, the last 4 years were....bad for my anxiety and depression, but it feels like things are getting slightly better.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

monsterzero posted:

Same. Sucks that home prices here have gone up by 30% since 2018 when we started saving in earnest so we're no closer to buying something. At least if we both get laid off we can move somewhere completely dire and shitpost for 2-3 years before we run out of cash

Yes, it's becoming more of a "gently caress off to the woods and build an a-frame shed" fund at this point tbh.

It would help if I could stop buying bicycles.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

monsterzero posted:

The "gently caress-off" fund is a loving excellent read. Live well below your means and always carry a gently caress Off Fund.

We're slowly burning through part of ours that my spouse and I have built up over the last 5 years of collectively feeding our hands and minds into the machine that is late stage capitalism. This is a break that's much deserved.

Pretty loving sad that 100k can barely get you a burnt out trailer in racist as gently caress bumfuckistan with zero services outside of some hick with a self-serve-gently caress-anybody-that-walks-in service station.

I just want a few acres where it's arid with a well, septic tank so that I can throw a 1500sq-ft shop and a 500sq-ft house on. Even that is too much to ask for.

poo poo, for the same money I could sell it all off, grab a backpack, laptop, and go be an ex-pat for the rest of my short time on this rock.

CommieGIR posted:

We've been very, very fortunate the last few years to have good income and be able to set aside money, have a good house, AND pursue our hobbies, and put some money away for problems, the last 4 years were....bad for my anxiety and depression, but it feels like things are getting slightly better.

:same: The last few years were hell. Next time I'm going to plan a little better. That's good that you're getting back into hobbies and putting some coin away for a "jesus gently caress here we go again" fund.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

builds character posted:

Or you can make it based on what will make you happiest. Which, it sounds like, is having no mortgage as fast as you can.
Exactly what I did. I called the mortgage guy to see if he could match better.com. He said poo poo went sideways today and to lock the online quote if it were still available, which it was but with a fraction of a point needed (like, two hundred bucks). So I did. gently caress debt.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Good for you man.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

My wife talked me into the kitchen renovation saying we'll be fine money wise but it's taking a good size chunk out of our savings and a few times during this whole process I've had buyer's remorse to the point of anxiety. But then other days I think it's good we're doing it because we spend so much time in the kitchen and it will be nice to have a new one. I've always been a minimalist so it's always easy for me to argue that we don't really need stuff like a new kitchen, but my wife works her rear end off so who am I to tell her she can't have it.

She has a great job that pays well and is getting ready to take over as the head accountant so she'll be getting a huge raise, but of course that could all go to poo poo for whatever reason, like was said job security these days is a joke. It's just hard not to worry sometimes, I try not to, sometimes you just gotta roll with it and do stuff that makes you happy.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Apropos of nothing: any homeowners in here who have not refinanced, do it now. I talked to a broker yesterday who said rates started to climb back up. I can still get 2.875% on a thirty-year and 2.625% on a twenty-year through him, and better.com has 2.25% on a fifteen-year. (All no points.) I'm torn: I would love to pay off the house. But here's the thing:

1) The monthly payment difference between the 30 and the 15 is $769.
2) If I overpay $769 on the 30, I pay it off in 15y11m, at a loss of $22k, but have the ability to back off of payments if we need money.
3) If I don't overpay at all and pay it off in 30 years, I lose $78k in accumulated interest.
4) If I invest the difference in an index fund that pays out 5% annually, which is less than the historic average of the S&P 500, in 30 years I end up with ... $640,000.
5) If I just invest for 15 years and pay off any remainder, 5% return would leave me with $204k in investment minus the $78k $193k I still owe 15 years out. (EDITED: I am an idiot and took the interest difference between the two plans, not how much would be left after fifteen years of payments.

Goddamn.

Interesting this happened. Three or so weeks ago I woke up and told my wife ‘we need to refinance the house’. We’re 7 years into our 30 year at a 3.5% rate (plus whatever the little points are so like 3.7? Effective rate).

Contacted our broker friend and said ‘I think we should refi. The goal is to pay off the house. No cash out. He said the best would be to go for the 2.25/15 which is what I did. My payment goes up a little bit but I have a few things in my favor:

A ton of equity even if the bottom falls out (somehow my home has doubled in value in less than eight years? Surely that bubble will never pop)

In a desirable area and neighborhood and a marketable style/layout/appointments.

I know I could do all I could to lower my payment and invest etc etc. but I just hate owing money on the house. I want to know what having that debt gone feels like. Then I can invest 100% of my money outside of monthly living expenses which would be a small percentage. I’ve got youth on my side too. I just hate the debt.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Interesting this happened. Three or so weeks ago I woke up and told my wife ‘we need to refinance the house’. We’re 7 years into our 30 year at a 3.5% rate (plus whatever the little points are so like 3.7? Effective rate).

Contacted our broker friend and said ‘I think we should refi. The goal is to pay off the house. No cash out. He said the best would be to go for the 2.25/15 which is what I did. My payment goes up a little bit but I have a few things in my favor:

A ton of equity even if the bottom falls out (somehow my home has doubled in value in less than eight years? Surely that bubble will never pop)

In a desirable area and neighborhood and a marketable style/layout/appointments.

I know I could do all I could to lower my payment and invest etc etc. but I just hate owing money on the house. I want to know what having that debt gone feels like. Then I can invest 100% of my money outside of monthly living expenses which would be a small percentage. I’ve got youth on my side too. I just hate the debt.

Hey there, seven year mortgage bud! Eight years in May.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

cursedshitbox posted:

I don't try to keep up.
I meant "keep up" like staying alive, not "keeping up with the Jones'", just to be clear :)

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

StormDrain posted:

I tend to think of mine as an old Jeep. It keeps working despite how it complains, but it's been rode hard, put away wet, and the suspension's rebuilt with dodgy chinesium spares.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008
I've got a request for STR and some of the other Dallas area goons: can you recommend a place there that specializes in selling used passenger vans, or at least a good place to look for a used 8/9 passenger (or more) van?

Some old friends from college who lived in Myanmar until last month had to flee the country because of the recent political unrest, and they left with like 2 suitcases and their 6 small children. They are currently in the metroplex with some extended family. Five of the kids would need to be in a car seat under the laws here, so I don't think a regular minivan would work. I know some of those older 15-passenger ford/dodge vans had some crash safety issues, but, maybe the Nissan fullsize van or the Transit, something like that which has 4 rows. It doesn't have to be luxurious, just not something that's going to get them killed, that's all.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

cursedshitbox posted:

The "gently caress-off" fund is a loving excellent read. Live well below your means and always carry a gently caress Off Fund.

We're slowly burning through part of ours that my spouse and I have built up over the last 5 years of collectively feeding our hands and minds into the machine that is late stage capitalism. This is a break that's much deserved.

Pretty loving sad that 100k can barely get you a burnt out trailer in racist as gently caress bumfuckistan with zero services outside of some hick with a self-serve-gently caress-anybody-that-walks-in service station.

I just want a few acres where it's arid with a well, septic tank so that I can throw a 1500sq-ft shop and a 500sq-ft house on. Even that is too much to ask for.

poo poo, for the same money I could sell it all off, grab a backpack, laptop, and go be an ex-pat for the rest of my short time on this rock.

:same: The last few years were hell. Next time I'm going to plan a little better. That's good that you're getting back into hobbies and putting some coin away for a "jesus gently caress here we go again" fund.

This is pretty much where I'm at in life.
I really want to buy something, but man, everything is so expensive now. I suppose I should be happy to be living in the PNW, but man, its so taxing to be up here.

I never thought I'd be homesick for FL, but man, after seeing what 400K buys you here, and what 400K buys you there, its a bit of an eye opener. Like, 500K buys you half a burnt out shack here.
It's just a shame that wages are such dogshit there. Like, I'd never be making the kind of money I'm making now, in this career path. Even if I do feel like I'm starting to get burnt out in my current position.

I dunno, I guess I could always take my plan to run my own business and set up shop there too.
That's pretty much the only way I could see making any kind of living wage and owning a house pretty much anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There's lots of blue collar jobs in the midwest/great lakes states that pay a living wage if you're willing to work off shifts. I went from my $18K/yr retail gig to making nearly triple that with zero experience in this industry.

And yeah LOL INDIANA but as I said before, the rest of this country has shown it's every bit as bad and racist. The cost of living here is extremely low and houses can still be affordable here.