Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sargon of TN
Nov 7, 2011

Megabound posted:

I got a book about the Minamata environmental disaster, second hand library book, but first edition hardcover. It's haunting.

I'm late, But Eugene Smith is consistently my favorite photographer. I was thinking a documentary about his Loft Project was coming out, but I could be wrong. And don't get me started on how much I love his Pittsburgh work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Yeah, he's a stunning photographer. If you like photos and talking about them you should join us in subforum The Dorkroom.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I bought one pair of short underpants, and one pair of long underpants. Black Horse Magnums, of course.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
I bought skis!

Now everything hurts

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Got some kitchen stuff:

OXO natural bristle pastry brush.

Chinois set.

Granite mortar & pestle.

Also got this:

I broke my last one during this recent Snowpocalpyse and even though almost everything is melted away, I figured having one now will have me prepared for the next terrible storm.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Huh. The protruding handle. That seems like a great idea.

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

They definitely help - you can get ones that clamp on if you have a shovel without one.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
The only situation in which I can see those double handle shovel being useful is to push snow in which case one of those would do a better job :

Those snow sleigh shovel things are the loving bomb though and if you live anywhere that has a lot of snow you should get one. The double handle thing is probably good if you don't have enough snow to warrant buying one of them I guess. But doesn't it get in the way when you need to throw the snow and such? It feels like you would still need a second snow shovel anyway

KingColliwog has a new favorite as of 14:40 on Feb 23, 2021

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
If I'm lucky I get snow worth shoveling once a year, but when it does come down it is usually icy & gross. An ergonomic snow shovel allows me to push & throw snow without needing to bend over/squat as much, which in the end is easier on my body.

I used to have this style ergonomic snow shovel until it broke last week:

Worked like a charm too.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Android Apocalypse posted:

I used to have this style ergonomic snow shovel until it broke last week:

You’re saying your life was deshoveled?

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

KingColliwog posted:

The only situation in which I can see those double handle shovel being useful is to push snow in which case one of those would do a better job :

Those snow sleigh shovel things are the loving bomb though and if you live anywhere that has a lot of snow you should get one. The double handle thing is probably good if you don't have enough snow to warrant buying one of them I guess. But doesn't it get in the way when you need to throw the snow and such? It feels like you would still need a second snow shovel anyway

The second handle is for lifting, not pushing. At least that’s how I use it. They really do work well. I don’t see how they’d get in the way anymore than gripping the shovel where the second handle goes?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
New fridge showed up from Best Buy, it's an Insignia.

And then it left! They found a coolant leak. So, still no fridge. I've been living here for almost a month without a way to preserve food (except for a borrowed mini fridge). Home Depot at least finally took their poo poo back and issued me a refund. I did a BBB complaint and that got corporate attention. Life in a declining empire :allears:

skooma512 has a new favorite as of 23:09 on Feb 23, 2021

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

One of the more comfortable zip-up hoodies I've purchased in a while.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

TheManWithNoName posted:

The second handle is for lifting, not pushing. At least that’s how I use it. They really do work well. I don’t see how they’d get in the way anymore than gripping the shovel where the second handle goes?

Guess I'd have to try one! They seem arkward, but from what you're saying they are not used the way I thought so I'm probably wrong

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Not sure that base is flared enough to be safe.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Replaced the lovely incandecent lights over the kitchen counters with IKEA Omlopp smart lighting, which is compatible with the Philips Hue system in my apartment.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Insignia fridge round 2. The first one had to be taken back because of a coolant leak (and earlier I mentioned the dead Frigidaire). I was home all day, I scheduled it for my one work from home day from a hospital. They called my GF exactly once because she was the one taking delivery last time but couldn't this time. Her phone silenced it because it was not in her contacts. They say they had been here, but neither of us received any more calls or could get through to the number that called us. I live in an apartment on a 4 lane road, and can't possibly watch for them. Their automated system texted me it would be here by 4, I called the help desk when it was 4:45 with nothing. They told me what happened above :cripes:. So I was waiting for nothing. I had a feeling this would happen.

They say I will receive a discount or gift card after it's settled. I don't believe them, and it probably will be bullshit . I rescheduled for Saturday, I don't believe that will happen either. I haven't had a working fridge in a month at this point.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

My dude do you not have a Lowe’s or something around? I know Depot did you dirty, but you’re getting pretty much the exact level of service I’d expect from Best Buy.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
My Lowe's experience was on par with these horror stories. Appliances are in short supply due to covid so the stores know they can skimp on customer service and keep your business

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
We got our fridge a few months ago from Costco and it was the least painful 4 figure purchase of my life. Would recommend.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Due to the influence of my photography group I bought one of these

Because it takes pictures like these

Can’t wait to get it and look dumb as hell taking sweet shots

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

skooma512 posted:

Insignia fridge round 2. The first one had to be taken back because of a coolant leak (and earlier I mentioned the dead Frigidaire). I was home all day, I scheduled it for my one work from home day from a hospital. They called my GF exactly once because she was the one taking delivery last time but couldn't this time. Her phone silenced it because it was not in her contacts. They say they had been here, but neither of us received any more calls or could get through to the number that called us. I live in an apartment on a 4 lane road, and can't possibly watch for them. Their automated system texted me it would be here by 4, I called the help desk when it was 4:45 with nothing. They told me what happened above :cripes:. So I was waiting for nothing. I had a feeling this would happen.

They say I will receive a discount or gift card after it's settled. I don't believe them, and it probably will be bullshit . I rescheduled for Saturday, I don't believe that will happen either. I haven't had a working fridge in a month at this point.

Look up the CEO of Home Depot's email account and send them a complaint. I know personally that they loving HATE that. It shows a fundamental failure of their service and they'll roll that poo poo ball down the hill. Even if their assistant is the one reading it, it'll be passed down to someone higher than you've been talking to. Just let them know your story and everything you're going through and say that you expected a better experience with them and you're disappointed.

It's basically the nuclear option of "fingers crossed, let's try this."

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Coffee And Pie posted:

Due to the influence of my photography group I bought one of these

Because it takes pictures like these

Can’t wait to get it and look dumb as hell taking sweet shots
that's pretty cool

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Solice Kirsk posted:

Look up the CEO of Home Depot's email account and send them a complaint. I know personally that they loving HATE that. It shows a fundamental failure of their service and they'll roll that poo poo ball down the hill. Even if their assistant is the one reading it, it'll be passed down to someone higher than you've been talking to. Just let them know your story and everything you're going through and say that you expected a better experience with them and you're disappointed.

Yep. Comcast has a similar thing and I got a sweet upgrade and the personal number of the region’s top tech after I shot them an email providing receipts on how I was getting screwed. Always ask for the ticket number whenever you make a support call folks.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

The Insignia is Best Buy, Frigidaire was Home Depot.

So I scheduled delivery for Saturday right? They split it into 2 orders, one for the delivery and one for the fridge, conveniently the fridge wasn't available but the delivery was.

I called at 8am, got it merged and scheduled, they told me Saturday, I got an email after the call that that really meant next Saturday, called again and asked for a supervisor. One wasn't available and they said they'd call back in 45 mins. Didn't get one in 3 hours, so I called in again, I wasn't hearing anything like "we will deliver this tomorrow", so I cancelled the order. I'm not really in the mood to take days off or ask my GF to come out here again, or wait another week when it's been a month without a refrigerator. I think Best Buy would have eventually made good, I got an automated email with delivery instructions with a ton of supervisors CC'd, and I know what exactly what that means, but Best Buy is sus and they were telling me it could take 24 hours for someone to contact me at the time.

So now Lowe's and Whirlpool get a chance to gently caress me over. I'm getting a smaller fridge for the same price (11 vs 18 cu-ft). Step right up and dunk me in the tank. Although I'm considering giving Best Buy another shot just because they might give me a discount and it's supposed to be a pretty good fridge when they're correctly built.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
That really sucks dude... I was supposed to get the fridge I ordered in November delivered earlier this month until I got a last second call that the expected delivery date had been pushed back to April. I’m not optimistic but I figure what the hell, so long as the old one is working I’ll hang onto the order and see if Wayfair eventually makes good.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
Do you not have standalone appliance stores? I feel like they might be more responsive.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

And also it's nice to support local business over big box stores. I know that's a kinda bougie privilege at times since they're typically pricier, but if you can it's worth it, I think.

As for my own recent purchases, the recent storms and power outage down here revealed some gaps in my emergency prep, so I picked up a better flashlight, a Fenix PD40R

Which is pretty great aside from a greenish tint to the light at lower powers that I'm not quite sure I like.

And an extremely excellent 50qt Pelican cooler.

Scruffy the janitor
Dec 31, 2007

A greater tragedy my eyes have never beheld
I bought a thing. I've basically been looking for any excuse to drive for the last few days

2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 R-Spec. 6 speed as god intended. :buddy:

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

I had an 04 Tiberon GT V6. It was fun, but a bad choice for Michigan. Really bad. Just poo poo in the snow.

I don't know how much better Hyundai has gotten at quality control, but stay up on maintenance and inspection. Too much poo poo on mine started breaking far sooner than I would have expected. Friend had similar experiences with a veloster, don't remember what year.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Bought a Whirlpool 11.6 cu-ft fridge. Had to turn it up but it's holding the temps I want.

Although sometimes I catch the freezer shooting up to 20F :catstare: The fridge stays below 40 when this happens so I figure it's just down to the fact it borrows from the freezer to cool and that it's only the air temp and all the actual food will stay cold, but it's annoying and as you can imagine, I really really do not want to be dealing any more fridge issues. It really freaks me out when it's just sitting there making zero noise though, I've tweaked out and started power cycling it and changing the outlet.

As for more fun stuff, I got a pair of gray Vans slip ons I've been wanting since last fall.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

skooma512 posted:

Bought a Whirlpool 11.6 cu-ft fridge. Had to turn it up but it's holding the temps I want.

Although sometimes I catch the freezer shooting up to 20F :catstare: The fridge stays below 40 when this happens so I figure it's just down to the fact it borrows from the freezer to cool and that it's only the air temp and all the actual food will stay cold, but it's annoying and as you can imagine, I really really do not want to be dealing any more fridge issues. It really freaks me out when it's just sitting there making zero noise though, I've tweaked out and started power cycling it and changing the outlet.

As for more fun stuff, I got a pair of gray Vans slip ons I've been wanting since last fall.

Is that during a defrost cycle?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Is that during a defrost cycle?

Wouldn't know, but that makes sense. I'm just really jumpy about fridges since I had two DOAs in a row and supply chains are hosed.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

Nuclear option is you look up the names of home depot executives on linkedin, then find their home phone number and call them there.

I've only done it once, with the lovely property management company i was renting from (they changed the locks and didnt give me a key), but drat does it get results

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
That reminds me in the early 2000s of how I somehow button mashed my way through Best Buys phone system trying to get to a human being and it connected me to the personal phone number of some regional executive somehow. When he found out I was a customer he just kept yelling aggressively into the phone "HOW DID YOU GET THIS NUMBER?" until I hung up.

These days you'd be risking serious social media exposure acting like that on the phone.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Bought a 2016 Macbook Pro 13 inch with a broken keyboard and worn out palmrest.

Delivered it to the service department of the Apple retailer where it was sold yesterday, and crossing my fingers that a mix of Apples keyboard replacement program and some consumer rights laws (this is very normal in Europe) will yield me a nicely refurbished computer.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
So I've been wanting one forever for domestic use and just kept forgetting, and then the pandemic hit and you couldn't get them anywhere, but I finally remembered to check and I picked up a 3M half face respirator with cartridges and been wearing it to work for over a week now.

Imo it's way more comfortable than the disposable 8210s my hospital uses as it doesn't cut the bridge of my nose.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Pretty gassed I managed to get the shoes. The original high pairs from 15 years ago go for like 5k so to pick up the new version at retail makes me v happy. The original is one of the pairs that got me into collecting. Nice little bit of nostalgia too.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Spent too much money on a board-game specific table:
https://www.boardgametables.com/products/jasper-board-game-table

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Aramek posted:

So I've been wanting one forever for domestic use and just kept forgetting, and then the pandemic hit and you couldn't get them anywhere, but I finally remembered to check and I picked up a 3M half face respirator with cartridges and been wearing it to work for over a week now.

Imo it's way more comfortable than the disposable 8210s my hospital uses as it doesn't cut the bridge of my nose.

Enjoy being Darth Vader lol.

I bought a P100 for the shooting range but I never used it there, but it comes in handy during brush fire season and when I want to clean something really dusty.