Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geodude
Mar 21, 2004

Geodude used Reply to Thread! It's super effective!
May 14th release date! New teaser trailer too.

EDIT: Sorry I was in a sleepy stupor and thought I posted it from Awful app.

Geodude fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Feb 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Geodude posted:

May 14th release date! New teaser trailer too.

Link?

Found it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2xO53yjhTg

Laughing Zealot fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Feb 25, 2021

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

quote:

Subnautica Below Zero is coming to PlayStation, Xbox, and Nintendo Switch on May 14, 2021!
They, uh, seem to have forgotten someone.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

EimiYoshikawa posted:

They're the only critter in either game to just make me go all :| and just 'ok, fine. yeah. got me again. ok. even though I'm using the snowfox jump. ok. well. used another first aid. whatever. can't leave yet. fun. woo.' rather than...excitement, or fear, or fascination, or...anything. They aren't even really a creature, they're a special effect, you can't interact with them, can't run from them, and, at least, on the build I used, couldn't even use the thumpers to effectively distract them. They suck, and I can't say that about anything else in either game, even warpers, as frustrating as they could be, you had an emotional response to them, beyond resigned acceptance.

I haven't gone to the worm area in a couple versions but last time I did it I just walked instead of using the fox and it was fine. Brought like half an inventory of medpacs and just walked around ignoring them. Certainly not fun, but a less frustrating experience.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
The times a worm killed me was by knocking me off in front of a snow stalker. The supposed animosity between them doesn’t seem all that strong.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

uPen posted:

I haven't gone to the worm area in a couple versions but last time I did it I just walked instead of using the fox and it was fine. Brought like half an inventory of medpacs and just walked around ignoring them. Certainly not fun, but a less frustrating experience.

I just started bringing the PRAWN, which apparently didn't set off the worm scripting at all, as long as I stayed inside it. Which I'm guessing wasn't really intended, but had no trouble hauling it through the ice tunnels via the seatruck, but it did manage to get around the whole above-ground area surprisingly well, despite the big jumps.

But hey, I love the PRAWN, so I was perfectly fine with that.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

According to the comments this is spoilerific so if you're like me and enjoy going into games blind you might want to skip it

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Wafflecopper posted:

According to the comments this is spoilerific so if you're like me and enjoy going into games blind you might want to skip it

I would say that it qualifies as containing material you'd want to see for yourself when playing for the first time, yes, as someone who played the almost-finished version before the rewrite.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

In the meantime, Breathedge released today from EA.
Which everyone seems to describe as Subnautica in space.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58XGHeVuT7k

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

OgNar posted:

In the meantime, Breathedge released today from EA.
Which everyone seems to describe as Subnautica in space.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58XGHeVuT7k

I saw that this morning and couldn't get it in my Steam cart fast enough.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Hopefully they scraped those attempts at humour from the suit AI that went through the beta.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
I want to play Below Zero now getting impatient. What's missing from now to the final version in May?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

DropsySufferer posted:

I want to play Below Zero now getting impatient. What's missing from now to the final version in May?

The end.
It may be possible to play it up until then and then just continue later.
But we dont know for sure if something else will be left out.
There is an actual invisible wall at some point, but unknown how much past that, or even if they are adding more middle stuff.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

WarpedNaba posted:

Hopefully they scraped those attempts at humour from the suit AI that went through the beta.

I don't know if it was different in the beta but this humor is, uh... rough.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Nope, still the same weak poo poo.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Yeah Subnautica this ain't. The humor is trying way too hard to be quirky and while I appreciate the aesthetic of the tools being poo poo you clobbered together with floating space debris I hate how they fall apart after hitting things a few times.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I didn't mind the humor in the initial safehouse part, but by the second part I realized it was going to be a lot of edgy reactionary reddit punching down humor and all desire to play quickly left me. Also felt like it should either try to be an adventure game, or a crafting survival game; not both at the same time.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Wrr posted:

by the second part I realized it was going to be a lot of edgy reactionary reddit punching down humor and all desire to play quickly left me.

Yeah, same.

For the uninitiated, all you really need to know is that there's a dedicated 'piss' button. It's a fundamental mechanic that, when aimed properly at the toilet, turns excess hydration into random resources, for reasons. This is a fundamental mechanic you pretty much have to use to move forward.

Hahaha, peeing! Whee!

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Plz state the nature of the medical emergency

Wafflecopper posted:

I went in blind to Subnautica and have done my darndest to do the same this time around.

Also I'd like to draw the court's attention that my last complaint about BZ getting released actually made them communicate a release date a couple days later.

All behold my powerful internet ire.

EDIT: god bless u Wafflecopper for finding out the spoiler levels for the trailer :angel:

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

zzMisc posted:

Yeah, same.

For the uninitiated, all you really need to know is that there's a dedicated 'piss' button. It's a fundamental mechanic that, when aimed properly at the toilet, turns excess hydration into random resources, for reasons. This is a fundamental mechanic you pretty much have to use to move forward.

Hahaha, peeing! Whee!

But the first toilet out in space you find has a dead hamster in it and they make an Overwatch joke ha ha so brilliant!

The game really quickly sabotages itself with this poo poo and I'm already over it.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

OgNar posted:

The end.
It may be possible to play it up until then and then just continue later.
But we dont know for sure if something else will be left out.
There is an actual invisible wall at some point, but unknown how much past that, or even if they are adding more middle stuff.

Having played the game up to that invisible wall in the latest version I wouldn't assume there's anything past it besides a trigger for the final cutscene. The main plot line of the story is wrapped up by that point and the area it's in was very much a "this is the final room in the game" sort of place. Wouldn't mind some more stuff added in the middle but everything besides the ending seemed complete so I wouldn't expect it. Mostly hoping they somehow find a way to make the ice worm stuff better between now and the release date because that whole section of the game is just trash.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I have a question: Does Below Zero, the game about having to survive in the frozen cold on an alien planet, involve glowing orange chainsaws? This is important.

I've been playing through Subnautica, and I've gotten fairly far, I've got a Cyclops and I think I found all the Degasi bases, but I still have issues with the dark depths of the ocean.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

DrDraxium posted:

EDIT: god bless u Wafflecopper for finding out the spoiler levels for the trailer :angel:

Second this, heard about the trailer but came here to see if they were gonna pull a Switch Outer Wilds Trailer.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

SlothfulCobra posted:

I have a question: Does Below Zero, the game about having to survive in the frozen cold on an alien planet, involve glowing orange chainsaws? This is important.

Yeah, here's a screenshot I took towards the end of my playthrough:

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Subnautica BZ has a release date!

In May.

But wait, there is a new game released today that is 'Subnautica in space!'.

It's bad.

Well this page was a ride. See you in May I guess.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

spaceblancmange posted:

Subnautica BZ has a release date!

In May.

But wait, there is a new game released today that is 'Subnautica in space!'.

It's bad.

Well this page was a ride. See you in May I guess.

Its actually a good game and quite reminiscent of Subnautica if you ignore all the bad jokes.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Lol if anyone didn’t immediately notice the fake space subnautica was going to be awful when they made a big point about ‘your immortal chicken sidekick!’

I was so interested for about 7 seconds into the trailer and I’ve never had my interest in a game drop off so fast.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Yeah the concept hooked me and everything after that unhooked me

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

If only Aquanauts and Hydronauts could've prepared me for the cruel realities of the depths of the sea being dark.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

2.6g updating now.
Not sure what it does.

People complaining this broke their save.
Doesnt have the end yet anyway.
Thats still not until 5-14

e: this didnt break my save
Though I will start over yet again anyway
Because, why not

OgNar fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Feb 26, 2021

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

zzMisc posted:

This isn't true at all, I've played through the entire game in the last patch and didn't once piss in a toilet.

The humour is very bad, but you can just ignore the voice-overs and it's a very subnautica adjacent game. That other poster is right about the tools though - they break quite fast and you have to remake them, but it doesn't take much effort to do so.

It's definitely not as good as Subnautica, but I've played through Subnautica about 5 times at this point, and BZ several times. If you want more, this is the closest you're going to get right now.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

New update trailer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yX5Lkk0iPU0

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

..btt posted:

This isn't true at all, I've played through the entire game in the last patch and didn't once piss in a toilet.

The humour is very bad, but you can just ignore the voice-overs and it's a very subnautica adjacent game. That other poster is right about the tools though - they break quite fast and you have to remake them, but it doesn't take much effort to do so.

It's definitely not as good as Subnautica, but I've played through Subnautica about 5 times at this point, and BZ several times. If you want more, this is the closest you're going to get right now.

I assure you I absolutely cannot just ignore the voice-overs, unless there is a separate volume slider for VO. I thought I was tough and brave but Borderlands 3 disabused me of that notion.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

It’s not even good VO. It’s rapid-fire monotone bullshit that sounds like bad text-to-speech.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I tried to ignore warning of bad voice overs, and bought Dungeons 3 much to my regret. The relentless, awful humor was truly sapping and while it was only like the #3 reason on why I'd recommend everyone avoid it, it was still salt on the bad-game-wound.

So while that trailer seems reaaaaly appealing to me, I'll restrain myself from slam-purchasing it since as others have mentioned, some things don't seem that bad until you're stuck in the middle of it.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

It also changes distinctly between the first and second bit, at least in early access. Like they got a different actor or they decided to go for a different approach, more smarmy and less fast-legal-talk at the end of a commercial, or something.

Serephina posted:

I tried to ignore warning of bad voice overs, and bought Dungeons 3 much to my regret. The relentless, awful humor was truly sapping and while it was only like the #3 reason on why I'd recommend everyone avoid it, it was still salt on the bad-game-wound.

So while that trailer seems reaaaaly appealing to me, I'll restrain myself from slam-purchasing it since as others have mentioned, some things don't seem that bad until you're stuck in the middle of it.

I want a new dungeon keeper so badly and I got Dungeons 3 free from epic or humble bundle or somewhere. Played the first mission and, yeah, I just can't do it. Its heartbreaking.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
Man, the thing I'd like most from BZ finally being "finished"?

The developers finding some way/motivation to back-implement some of the new buildable stuff from BZ into the original. I would love to have glass roofs for my seabases, even if the large seabases might be a bit too far, or the fridge, for my all-vegetarian run that I'm doing right now, where the only things I have to eat are kelp and (just recently, after like 10 hours of gameplay,) vending machine snacks (it being a swimming-only, no seaglide, run as well, so it's been kind of slower going than usual, including getting to the islands).

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Goddamn I would play the poo poo out of an Ice Planet game.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

..btt posted:

The humour is very bad, but you can just ignore the voice-overs

:saddowns:
I'm deeply sorry that some of you seem to hate Breathedge and the narrator. It's my favorite game ever and I love the irreverent humor and the suit AI is my best buddy. Condom oxygen balloons? Hell yes. Fart propulsion? Hell even more yes.

Regarding tools, you can get an upgraded handy scrapper fairly quickly (past the first area, once the radiation lowers, you can scan it in an engineering shuttle near the glowing areas) and there's also an infinite durability version later on. The other stuff is mostly cost-benefit deals where you trade the resources for the tool for its durability in aluminum or alkali or resin or rubber, etc,. and you really don't need much.

The deployable oxygen generators are very useful for scavenging an area.

Edit: hmm. I hadn't actually launched the game since the release; my last experience was with the Early Access version. Seems they've changed a few things... different music after exiting the starting area for the first time, different warning sounds; and checking the Steam discussions, apparently the post-Normandy sections are totally different and on rails from what came before.

Now I'm regretting not backing up the EA version somewhere.

Edit 2: Loaded a Normandy save to see what comes after for myself. This is... I don't know what this is, but the game is complete garbage now.

Early access version was good and fun. Release Breathedge is .. don't bother playing this crap.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Feb 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

EimiYoshikawa posted:

Man, the thing I'd like most from BZ finally being "finished"?

The developers finding some way/motivation to back-implement some of the new buildable stuff from BZ into the original. I would love to have glass roofs for my seabases, even if the large seabases might be a bit too far, or the fridge, for my all-vegetarian run that I'm doing right now, where the only things I have to eat are kelp and (just recently, after like 10 hours of gameplay,) vending machine snacks (it being a swimming-only, no seaglide, run as well, so it's been kind of slower going than usual, including getting to the islands).

I just want to take the sea-truck for a spin through the Lost River :(