Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Grunch Worldflower posted:

This is also how he arrives in his Monster Hunter World crossover and presumably all others because it's universally applicable.

There's a fun bit of Judge Dredd lore that every appearance he makes is canon. I'm going to assume that holds true for Geralt from now on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've started playing the HD FFX rerelease and I'd forgotten how naturalistic the game is compared to other games, characters scurry in and out of battle when you swap them out rather than just being an abstract menu, and there are so many little bits of dialog that can happen if certain combinations of characters swap in at the right times, my personal favourite being "Newbie heeeere!" "Sooooryyyyy" when Tidus gets swapped into a battle that Wakka starts the front lines in.

Also the whole talking to bosses thing was a brilliant storytelling thing. I loved that.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

A rare bit praise for Resident Evil 6, which I'm playing through now (and so far doesn't seem to be the absolute horror :haw: it's usually treated as): I really like having the "look towards next step needed to get to your objective" button. It's real nice to have if, for some reason, you've decided that the game doesn't need a minimap. The game's pretty linear, but it's a nice bonus for folks like me who get turned around in all the burnt-out office buildings and such, especially since it works down to the level of "turn left down this particular hallway".

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Resident Evil 6 was a perfectly fine game that the internet throws way too much shade at

At least it had combat though and wasn't just a bad Outlast clone like 7 and 8

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
You're never letting that go, are you?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Leavemywife posted:

You're never letting that go, are you?

never ever

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Resident Evil 7 came out half a decade ago. There have been two Resident Evil games since.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Crowetron posted:

Resident Evil 7 came out half a decade ago. There have been two Resident Evil games since.

and it's a shame that RE2 got rid of the b game

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I define the highest form of combat as being limited to my left fist, my right fist, and wrestling finishers, meaning only one hour of the entire franchise has truly been combat-centric :smuggo:

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Assistant Manager Devil posted:

I define the highest form of combat as being limited to my left fist, my right fist, and wrestling finishers, meaning only one hour of the entire franchise has truly been combat-centric :smuggo:

Double hand jerking it to large vampire lady before choking yourself out means the new game is just solid combat

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Doesn't RE6 have some kind of a weird structure where like half the scenarios are co-op and the others aren't, though? I somehow own it on both PC and Switch and haven't played past the intro.

The intro rocked, though. I don't even remember what cheesy loving thing Leon or Chris or whoever said at the end of the introduction with (iirc) the crashing helicopter and stuff but it seemed tremendously self-aware and hilarious.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rockman Reserve posted:

Doesn't RE6 have some kind of a weird structure where like half the scenarios are co-op and the others aren't, though? I somehow own it on both PC and Switch and haven't played past the intro.

The intro rocked, though. I don't even remember what cheesy loving thing Leon or Chris or whoever said at the end of the introduction with (iirc) the crashing helicopter and stuff but it seemed tremendously self-aware and hilarious.

All the scenarios are co-op. Ada's originally wasn't but they patched in a co-op partner for her.

There are times where two co-op teams can end up in the same scenario if they are both in the same area at the same time but I doubt it works well these days.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Rockman Reserve posted:

It's all co-op. At launch, Ada's bonus campaign was solo only, but they patched in a imaginary friend very real and canonical character for player 2 so now you can play the whole thing with a buddy.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

It's pretty entertaining to see how the various campaigns interact, like Chris suddenly having to defend Sherry and co. from zombos and an attack helicopter in a tense sequence, only they're not actually in danger if they're just AI bots. Also Leon jumping in from out of nowhere to stop Chris from shooting his presumable waifu :tviv:

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

OutOfPrint posted:

There's a fun bit of Judge Dredd lore that every appearance he makes is canon. I'm going to assume that holds true for Geralt from now on.

On the subject of Geralt; I didn't play any of the witcher games until 3 went on sale for the Switch last year and I always assumed Geralt was some sort of dumb grimdark conan analogue. Like a beefy barbarian fuckman.

Boy was I wrong. He's a witty, urbane, sarcastic and hilarious dude, totally not how I expected him. I went in to the series basically blind so it was really great to be pleasantly surprised. He's basically the opposite of that big angry jock fucker from God of War.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Tall Tale Teller posted:

On the subject of Geralt; I didn't play any of the witcher games until 3 went on sale for the Switch last year and I always assumed Geralt was some sort of dumb grimdark conan analogue. Like a beefy barbarian fuckman.

Boy was I wrong. He's a witty, urbane, sarcastic and hilarious dude, totally not how I expected him. I went in to the series basically blind so it was really great to be pleasantly surprised. He's basically the opposite of that big angry jock fucker from God of War.

That's how Conan is in the original stories too, at least in part. They're far more interesting than they get credit for, quick reads, and Howard being a boxing reporter knows how to describe violence in a way that's both visceral and succient.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Tall Tale Teller posted:

Yeah the writing and voice acting really go a long way to selling the character. Geralt's a bit grizzled and world weary but he's basically a good guy, wants to help.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Gaius Marius posted:

That's how Conan is in the original stories too, at least in part. They're far more interesting than they get credit for, quick reads, and Howard being a boxing reporter knows how to describe violence in a way that's both visceral and succient.

Kinda veers between really racist and surprisingly progressive for a nerdy writer in early 20th century Texas. (a physical description of Conan is basically Native American aside from his blue eyes, iirc)

Honestly, you don't really see that kind of dumb muscle barbarian type at all in most games that I can think of besides maybe as comic relief in ensemble casts, I'm not even sure where you're getting that from. Most single RPG protagonist types tend to be intelligent and multi-talented for maximum flexibility.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Tall Tale Teller posted:

geralt is the truest representation of a freelance monster hunter. half his clients think they can do his job better than him, the other half are trying to scam him, and he can only sigh and soldier on because a man's got to get paid

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Geralt we're only a small whelk stall trying to get off the ground and unfortunately can't afford to pay freelancers but think of the exposure

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I least Lightning got free deep fried hairballs.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Tall Tale Teller posted:

One of my favorite bits about the books is when he starts brooding like an edgy antihero and all of his friends start making fun of him.

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016

christmas boots posted:

One of my favorite bits about the books is when he starts brooding like an edgy antihero and all of his friends start making fun of him.

"I don't need anyone, I'm a lone wolf"
"Wolves are pack animals, you idiot!"

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Len posted:

Resident Evil 6 was a perfectly fine game that the internet throws way too much shade at

Agreed, playing through it co op with a bud was fun as gently caress and jake/sherry were fun as hell and dumb as poo poo.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Kitfox88 posted:

Agreed, playing through it co op with a bud was fun as gently caress and jake/sherry were fun as hell and dumb as poo poo.

It's so very very dumb. But Jake Wesker Monster Puncher needs to come back for another game

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Ooh, yeah, team him up with Joe Baker for a monster punching coop game.

Bring back Final Fight but Resident Evil themed. Jake Wesker is Guy. Joe Baker is Haggar.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Vic posted:

Not to backseat mod but we're talking about little things in games

My favorite little thing in games is that even though Lady Dimitrescu is a giantess, she's still shorter than Elsa and Anna from Frozen

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Still praying for a comically tiny mobile Lady D statue to chase you in-game, that would be my actual favorite little thing.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Kassandra in AC Odyssey will hold her hand out to the side when you walk through wheat fields :allears:

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

RareAcumen posted:

My favorite little thing in games is that even though Lady Dimitrescu is a giantess, she's still shorter than Elsa and Anna from Frozen

Not to mention the fact that all the members of Organization XIII are like 15-20 foot tall.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

When you kill a dragon in Skyrim you can see its burning corpse on the world map

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Running through Mario Odyssey again before I get too involved in 3D World and I forgot about Mario's little dance if you leave him idle while music is playing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9JwDw4azWk

Look at him go!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Kassandra in AC Odyssey will hold her hand out to the side when you walk through wheat fields :allears:

So will Bayek.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

I have played zero Odyssey this week and I need to rectify that

Do you have to take the Tame Animal skill in order to be able to pet dogs and cats?

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Assassin's Creed Oddyssey: Alexios' hair is very pretty, and also nicely adorned. I wish I had hair like that

RGX
Sep 23, 2004
Unstoppable
I posted in the "little things dragging this game down" thread about the super-unsatisfying sword combat in Skyrim, and how amazingly bad it felt to swing an enchanted daedric greatsword at an enemy and have it clip through them like a wet pool noodle made of farts.

Started playing Dragons Dogma: Dark Arisen and oh my god this is so much better. I bounced off it fairly hard when I first got it and now I'm 10 hours in and levelled up its really clicked for me, theres so much more weight and dynamism to the sword play, even taking down a lowly bandit feels really chunky and satisfying.

I'm not even sure if its that amazing or whether I'm so used to Skyrims lovely combat physics it benefits from direct comparison, but man its like getting into a warm bath. Theres something Dark Soulsy about it with most of the frustration removed and I love that. What a cool game.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
No it really is that good, DD is awesome

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
I've only just started playing Bravely Default 2, and good lord they are having FUN with a cast of diverse accents. Just in the first hour I've noticed American, several different types of British, Scottish, Scandinavian, I think French, and Australian.

It's a delightful improvement over the previous games' exclusively American casts. And I can tell that whoever translated the Australian knows their Australian slang, too, so that's a delightful bonus.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 16:02 on Feb 26, 2021

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Alhazred posted:

So will Bayek.

Jin in Ghost of Tsushima will do the same, even when on horseback

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I love how some of the stuff in the Souls games sounds like ridiculous playground rumors. "If you walk out from this specific corner you'll be on an invisible walkway and can find a secret!" "One of the statues in this room is secretly a disguised NPC!!"

My favorite is to get a rune in Bloodborne, you have to dump a giant brain down a pit, find the pit where it fell which is a small area of complete darkness like the Abyss, then face the brain and hold a (optional?) gesture pose for almost a full minute while the brain writhes and blinks at you.