Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Cold on a Cob posted:

60k. And if you withdraw the 30k, your contribution room will be 90k next year.

Zettace posted:

The opposite also applies. If you turn that $15k to 0 then you lose that 15k contribution room forever.

I wasn’t aware of either of these stipulations. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Got another potentially dumb question for this thread about RRSP contributions and withdrawals. I'm wondering about whether to max out my RRSP contribution for 2020. Given my tax bracket and contribution room, I'd be getting 44% of that contribution back in saved taxes going by the wealthsimple tax calculator.

However, I'm also seriously considering leaving the country at some point in the next few years due to the cost of housing - does anyone have a good resource on how much I'd get dinged on withdrawals with foreign residency from the government of canada side (I assume there might be tax implications from the country I move to as well but I'll leave that aside for now). I'm trying to calculate if I'd still come out ahead given the penalties.

mila kunis fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Feb 22, 2021

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

There's no requirement to cash out RRSP, if you did want to cash out it would be normal income tax rates. If you have significant enough ties to canada a deemed disposition of assets may not be necessary. The country you end up can also effect residency because of certain tax treaties. If the goal is to get out of dodge then don't let the tail wag the dog, but it is something else to consider.

re: tfsa chat - if those explosive gains were from a single lucky trade/gamble (like buying GME at 100 and selling at 200 before everything imploded) you should be cool. There are a few TFSA millionaires out there that got lucky, and some of them even managed to not lose their money by trying to get lucky again.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Guest2553 posted:

There's no requirement to cash out RRSP, if you did want to cash out it would be normal income tax rates. If you have significant enough ties to canada a deemed disposition of assets may not be necessary. The country you end up can also effect residency because of certain tax treaties. If the goal is to get out of dodge then don't let the tail wag the dog, but it is something else to consider.

re: tfsa chat - if those explosive gains were from a single lucky trade/gamble (like buying GME at 100 and selling at 200 before everything imploded) you should be cool. There are a few TFSA millionaires out there that got lucky, and some of them even managed to not lose their money by trying to get lucky again.

They're after day traders and swing traders and so on. I think gambling on short term trades like GME could absolutely get you nailed.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/investing/article-legal-showdown-nears-for-day-traders-cra-over-use-of-tax-free-savings/
https://findependencehub.com/retired-money-should-you-worry-a-large-tfsa-will-trigger-a-cra-audit/

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

mila kunis posted:

Got another potentially dumb question for this thread about RRSP contributions and withdrawals. I'm wondering about whether to max out my RRSP contribution for 2020. Given my tax bracket and contribution room, I'd be getting 44% of that contribution back in saved taxes going by the wealthsimple tax calculator.

However, I'm also seriously considering leaving the country at some point in the next few years due to the cost of housing - does anyone have a good resource on how much I'd get dinged on withdrawals with foreign residency from the government of canada side (I assume there might be tax implications from the country I move to as well but I'll leave that aside for now). I'm trying to calculate if I'd still come out ahead given the penalties.

When you go non-resident before retirement age, you can cash out your RRSPs at 25% withholding, which would count as a credit against foreign tax credit against the income.

As of 2012 (so probably still true), only the gains in your RRSP were taxable in the US, not the funds deposited:

http://gedeonlawcpa.com/do-i-pay-u-s-taxes-on-my-rrsp-withdrawal/ posted:

While you’re probably aware of the tax implications of cashing out your RRSP from a Canadian tax perspective, you may not be familiar with the U.S. tax implications.

On the Canadian side, once you become a non-resident of Canada, any withdrawals from the RRSP will be taxed under non-resident rules and will be subject to the CRA 25% withholding tax. This withholding tax can be reduced to 15% if you elect to convert the RRSP to a RRIF and you take periodic payments from the RRIF or other similar annuity.

But the tax liability doesn’t stop with CRA. Once you are a resident of the U.S., withdrawals from your RRSP may also be subject to U.S. taxes.

Before you make a run to the Northern Border, consider that U.S. tax law does offer a couple of silver linings on how RRSP withdrawals are taxed.

First, if you take a taxable distribution from the RRSP, the U.S. will allow you to take a foreign tax credit or deduction for the Canadian tax withheld by CRA on the distribution.

Second, the U.S allows you to withdraw the cost base, subject to special rules and to foreign exchange adjustments, of your RRSPs tax-free. Therefore, only your actual profit in the RRSP will be subject to U.S. tax. In a future article, I will discuss how to minimize the U.S tax on your RRSP profits by stepping up the cost basis in your RRSP before moving to the U.S.

So basically, you get to deduct 44% on your RRSP contribution now, and when you withdraw you do so effectively for free, give or take a temporary 25% hit that you get back when you file your US taxes. (Plus whatever earnings happened inside don't count as sheltered on US side)

One other possibly relevant factor if right on the cusp is that you get partial OAS/CPP eligibility (one? both? can't remember) after ten years working in Canada.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Yeah that was probably a bad example. If one bought six months ago at 10 bucks and cashed out at 250 they'd be better able to demonstrate it wasn't a quick speculatory gamble. I've read personal experiences about good faith investments in (among other things) a friend's business, weed stocks, and long equity call options that resulted in massive gains. When TFSAs as a concept were still young a number of people put 5-10k into a penny stocks as well, and those that didn't get wiped out made massive gains.

When in doubt ask the CRA imo, they're usually good about things if you make the first move and haven't broken any obvious laws.

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

Rime posted:

I am extremely pained that the resoundingly mocked GhostTTY crypto yolo from March is probably the best performing "investment" of thread 2020, by several hundred percent, today. :cripes:

Unless somebody dumped $100k into Tesla in March and hasn't said anything.

HUT was up to $16 today. Wonder when he cashed out.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

What's the go-to tax program here? My wife has used Quicktax/Turbotax for years but I've heard some people really don't like Intuit for whatever reason.

I seem to recall someone mentioning one not long ago, but I went back a few pages I couldn't find it, and keyword "tax" is about as useful to search with in this forum as the word "the"

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

I've personally used SimpleTax (now called "WealthsimpleTax") for years. Super easy to use and free.

There's a bit of grousing over the Wealthsimple buyout that happened last year, notably that you can no longer opt out of them collecting/selling your data. I'm already in the Wealthsimple ecosystem so it's a non-issue for me (though it does definitely suck).

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

StudioTax is (I think) a long time thread favourite. Installs locally on your computer - nothing in the cloud. I've used it for many years and have been happy. It looks straight out of the 90s but does the job. This year they switched from free to paid ($15). If you live in the north or have less than $20k income it's still free I believe.

Wealthsimple Tax (formerly SimpleTax) is a free web based tax preparation option. I tried them once before being acquired by Wealthsimple and it was pretty slick. If you're comfortable with doing your taxes in the cloud, they seem like a good option. As mentioned there are some questions about collecting/selling data.

GenuTax exists and is free. No experience with it. Maybe others can speak to them.

Shofixti fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Feb 23, 2021

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
SimpleTax for a few years now. Definitely giving it the side eye since Wealthsimple bought them, and they added some suspicious privacy opt-out checkboxes in settings in the last year. Still planning on using it this year.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I do my taxes by hand like an old person.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Thanks

I think one of the reasons people are shying away from intuit is the whole privacy aspect and :tinfoil: big companies but I suppose that's getting harder to avoid... although I certainly try to where I can.

The inlaws typically buy a copy of Turbotax and we usually just install/use it as well since it has enough licenses with the retail version, but we certainly have no loyalty to them.. other than the ability to import from previous years.

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

A big reason to shun Intuit is the amount of lobbying they do to prevent the CRA from just doing everyone’s tax returns by default and having people validate it. There really isn’t a need for most people to file a full return; the CRA usually already has all the info they need.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Shofixti posted:

GenuTax exists and is free. No experience with it. Maybe others can speak to them.

I plug this one when I can, been using it for almost a decade with zero issue and found it better to use than some of the alternatives. SS+++, would use again.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
my question re: tax software is which one will handle the new covid WFH forms the best

i mean one would hope all of them but

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Shofixti posted:

A big reason to shun Intuit is the amount of lobbying they do to prevent the CRA from just doing everyone’s tax returns by default and having people validate it. There really isn’t a need for most people to file a full return; the CRA usually already has all the info they need.
I did not know that.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Guest2553 posted:

I plug this one when I can, been using it for almost a decade with zero issue and found it better to use than some of the alternatives. SS+++, would use again.

I've rejected it in the past because it requires Windows, but now I wonder if it works in Wine.

Honey Im Homme
Sep 3, 2009

The Iron Rose posted:

my question re: tax software is which one will handle the new covid WFH forms the best

I did mine with simple tax, just had to add the relevant form #

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

The Iron Rose posted:

StudioTax has it, and I've used them for a long time with no problems: as was mentioned upthread they are starting to charge this year for the first time but I really am not fussed about finally paying for something that I've used for so long (and I've donated to them in the past).

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Since I've been using WealthSimple Trade I decided to do my taxes through their Tax product for the first time and it was super smooth experience, very happy with it overall after years of using TurboTax.

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

pokeyman posted:

I've rejected it in the past because it requires Windows, but now I wonder if it works in Wine.

Let them know you'd use a Linux version! Tax prep is one of the few reasons I still keep Windows around as I'm scared about something going wrong via Wine.

https://www.genutax.ca/Help/Survey

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

slidebite posted:

I did not know that.

A previous attempt was canned due to industry lobbying but it seems like we may eventually get some sort of solution. Not holding my breath on it being very robust though.

https://nationalpost.com/news/polit...-taxes-for-them

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Shofixti posted:

Let them know you'd use a Linux version! Tax prep is one of the few reasons I still keep Windows around as I'm scared about something going wrong via Wine.

https://www.genutax.ca/Help/Survey

Done!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Stupid, basic investing question:

I have an ETF which has an ex-dividend date of Feb 22, and a dividend pay date of Feb 26.

My understanding is that shareholders get their dividend calculated on the 22, and then paid on the 26. Is that correct?

If so, if I liquidate my shares after the 22 (IE: Today) but before the pay date (2 days from now), I'll still receive the dividend, right?

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.

slidebite posted:

Stupid, basic investing question:

I have an ETF which has an ex-dividend date of Feb 22, and a dividend pay date of Feb 26.

My understanding is that shareholders get their dividend calculated on the 22, and then paid on the 26. Is that correct?

If so, if I liquidate my shares after the 22 (IE: Today) but before the pay date (2 days from now), I'll still receive the dividend, right?

As long as you sell on or after the ex-dividend date, you will get the distribution.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Sounds like I should switch from Turbotax to Genutax given recent information.

By the way, I was wondering how income funds like VRIF work?
Are they basically a hands off growing annuity that pays your checking account a certain amount of money each month/year and then you budget to live off that sum?

How do people with lots of money then live off that money without drawing down the principal as cash from their checking accounts? Do you have to manually monitor the growth of the stock market and then sell your 4-7% gains? Or is there a system that can "pay you your salary" automatically?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Kraftwerk posted:

By the way, I was wondering how income funds like VRIF work?
Are they basically a hands off growing annuity that pays your checking account a certain amount of money each month/year and then you budget to live off that sum?

There's a good series of posts (or a video if you prefer) starting at https://canadiancouchpotato.com/2020/09/25/unpacking-vrif-vanguards-new-monthly-income-etf/ that explain VRIF.

Koskinator
Nov 4, 2009

MOURNFUL: ALAS,
POOR YORICK
Does anyone know of a mortgage calculator that handles irregular extra payments? I want to (for example) calculate the effects of making lump sum payments for the first 5 years only, but all the calculators I've found will only calculate making the payments every single year.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

You can probably fudge it with your 5 year term. See how much remains at the end of your 5 year extra payments period, plug that in as the new principal on a second calculation for a shorter term with smaller payments.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Here's another thing I don't really understand regarding ETFS.

How do they generate passive income?

Like if you had 10,000,000 in cash sitting around and invested it in say VGRO. What happens? I see cash distribution per unit which seems to be paid quarterly and then they have capital gains which appear to be reinvested into the fund.

In Q4 of 2020 VGRO had a Cash Distribution of $0.13 per unit (I rounded it up). So if I understand this correctly, VGRO is worth 30 bucks on the market right now. So that's roughly 333,333 shares for your 10 million in cash.
Does that mean that your brokerage account would register a cash transfer of $0.13 x 333,333 = or $43,333 per quarter?
Now lets say their capital gains as reinvested are 0.11 per unit realized at the end of each year (if i'm reading the charts right). Does that mean the fund reinvests $36,666 worth of stocks sold back into the account thus realizing a growth in the underlying principal?

If this is the case, does your underlying net worth grow passively with the ETF or does it grow because you reinvested the money from my assumption above? Are you responsible for calculating the taxes you owe on that 43,333 and do you need to pay taxes from that income on the capital gains of 36,666 as well?

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Reinvestment is optional and called DRIP (dividend reinvestment program) - most brokerages have it off by default. Generally you will be paid dividends on the schedule of the ETF, and at tax time you'll submit a slip from your brokerage describing the dividends so that the CRA can tax you appropriately.

And yes your account balance and net worth grow as you received cash dividends though ETFs will drop at payout date by the amount of the dividend and then usually re-grow so it's not an instant bump but it's a gradual increase.

You are definitely responsible for the tax calculations but the information provided by brokerages is comprehensive enough to fire the numbers into any tax software.

Of course none of that matters in your registered accounts though.

Edit: Actually there might be some dividends on US ETFs that matter in your TFSA so let's say it matters much less

Less Fat Luke fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Feb 25, 2021

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Koskinator posted:

Does anyone know of a mortgage calculator that handles irregular extra payments? I want to (for example) calculate the effects of making lump sum payments for the first 5 years only, but all the calculators I've found will only calculate making the payments every single year.

I heavily modified the holypotato spreadsheet to handle extra payments a few years ago when I was looking at buying. I haven't looked under the hood since then but am like 85% sure I could figure it out if it's really getting your goat. Username at gmail if you do~

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008

Kraftwerk posted:

Here's another thing I don't really understand regarding ETFS.

How do they generate passive income?

Like if you had 10,000,000 in cash sitting around and invested it in say VGRO. What happens? I see cash distribution per unit which seems to be paid quarterly and then they have capital gains which appear to be reinvested into the fund.

In Q4 of 2020 VGRO had a Cash Distribution of $0.13 per unit (I rounded it up). So if I understand this correctly, VGRO is worth 30 bucks on the market right now. So that's roughly 333,333 shares for your 10 million in cash.
Does that mean that your brokerage account would register a cash transfer of $0.13 x 333,333 = or $43,333 per quarter?
Now lets say their capital gains as reinvested are 0.11 per unit realized at the end of each year (if i'm reading the charts right). Does that mean the fund reinvests $36,666 worth of stocks sold back into the account thus realizing a growth in the underlying principal?

If this is the case, does your underlying net worth grow passively with the ETF or does it grow because you reinvested the money from my assumption above? Are you responsible for calculating the taxes you owe on that 43,333 and do you need to pay taxes from that income on the capital gains of 36,666 as well?

Return of capital will affect the adjusted cost basis of your position.

Receiving a dividend is, functionally, more or less no different than selling a percentage of your portfolio worth the same number of dollars (Details are in the taxes - dividends, pay tax this year. Appreciation, capital gains realized when selling)

As soon as I hear "Passive Income" in relation to personal finance alarm bells start going off in my head, because it is generally a term used by people trying to sell you some type of trading/retail investment course scam thing on TikTok or Instagram (Or by people who suggest becoming a petty tyrant of multiple rental properties, or by proponents of dividend investing strategies)

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Nofeed posted:

As soon as I hear "Passive Income" in relation to personal finance alarm bells start going off in my head, because it is generally a term used by people trying to sell you some type of trading/retail investment course scam thing on TikTok or Instagram (Or by people who suggest becoming a petty tyrant of multiple rental properties, or by proponents of dividend investing strategies)

Yeah, I always have to reconcile this fact and that it is a legitimate term at work for corporate tax purposes.

That is, if I hear it from my boss, that's one thing. But almost anyone else, and it reminds me of this tweet I saw just this morning.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

has anyone done the math on whether it's worth claiming (on your tax return) the work from home benefit (t2200?) or just taking the $400 one?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

the talent deficit posted:

has anyone done the math on whether it's worth claiming (on your tax return) the work from home benefit (t2200?) or just taking the $400 one?

depends entirely on whether or not you rent, how big your working area is, etc. If you're a homeowner it's probs best just taking the $400

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
As a renter with a dedicated office in the house the deduction using the detailed method came out to around $2150 for me. Increased my return by $800, so yeah if you rent, and have a room you work in (rather than a shared area of the house like the dinner table or something) then it's probably well worth it to go detailed.

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB
Is this 15 percent of 400, or just 400?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Random question:
I bank with TD and I never let my checking account drop below a certain amount.
Is there any reason why I shouldn’t upgrade it to one of the more premium ones that rebate annual fees on credit cards? I don’t make enough transactions per month to benefit from the unlimited feature either. So basically do I want free credit cards and free draft checks on the super rare occasions that I would use them?