Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
With Black Label, that seems tailor made for elseworlds, not just "this isn't canon, so the writers don't have think about the long term consequences of the story" stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Future State Batman/Superman is the unintentionally funniest book of the week, given that it comes after 2 months of titles depicting Future Gotham as a loving hell state.

I know DC for some reason hates recap pages but I made one for every Gotham title. This one's on the house, fellas.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Feb 25, 2021

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010

Doji Sekushi posted:

I just picked up the 2 Green Lantern season 1 trades and I kinda....hated them? I normally like Grant Morrison and normally like Green Lantern stuff, but it just felt messy and off. The issues felt like they came straight out of the 90s, art and all. Dunno. Am I crazy for not being too into them?

Arkhams Razor posted:

No, I have similar feelings about them myself. It's one of the few works of theirs that I can genuinely say feels short on ideas, and it's really visible how much they're burnt out on Big 2 superhero comics. Liam Sharp turning in top-tier work throughout the entire project is probably the only reason not to dismiss the work completely.

I have actually really enjoyed this run and am sad to see it go. I had been out of comics for many years, but picked this one up on a whim after a bit of nostalgia hit me, and it is what brought me back. I liked that it focused on a classic character, I liked all the lore and history connections, and I liked that I could read it twice or three times and pick up a new detail I had missed. And the artwork was extraordinary compared to the standard these days. To each their own.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010

TwoPair posted:

Future State Batman/Superman is the unintentionally funniest book of the week, given that it comes after 2 months of titles depicting Future Gotham as a loving hell state.

I know DC for some reason hates recap pages but I made one for every Gotham title. This one's on the house, fellas.

So if Future State had instead been "5G", would DC have kept the same blueprint? Batman failing and Gotham falling apart. Superman becoming a weird religious/commercial icon. All the classic speedsters dead or mutilated. All the weird magic stuff I could barely follow. Wrecking the GL corp yet again (they have become exceedingly efficient at this). The world going to absolute pits and getting destroyed by Swamp Thing. How much of this awfulness was in the original plan?

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!
I'd like to think some of the changes wouldn't have been so drastic, but thankfully we will never know. Thank goodness this was just a two month thing in the end.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Xelkelvos posted:

I want a mini-series of the hybrid superhero Earth that basically spun out of the Elseworlds where Batman becomes a GL. Also a return to the High Fantasy, almost everyone is magic, Elseworld the sorta, maybe got expanded one when DC tried to make a MOBA

I wish they'd expand more on some of the stuff the MOBA introduced. I loving LOVE the Arcane Green Lantern design from that.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Morrison's lantern just hasn't grabbed me. I've tried reading it like 4 times. I don't think it's bad, but it's just not particularly special either. I expect special from Morrison at this point.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I like it over all, but it is incredibly uneven. The early stuff where it is really focused on being a police procedural is pretty solid, but even though some issues didn't really hit for me I didn't think this run would end up with me wanting it to end so they could move on to a different project.

I am a big Morrison fan, but Far Sector blows this out of the water and it isn't even close.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Feb 26, 2021

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I think I’d love his GL if it were just a feature in a larger Heavy Metal but with DC heroes book. Or maybe a Green Lantern anthology book, where you got stories featuring different lanterns in different styles.

Points for creativity, but it’s all over the place.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I love Morrison but their GL run has just been okay to me. Their strength has been in making fun and memorable side characters (especially some of the cool GLs), but the rest of it falls kind of flat to me.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Feb 26, 2021

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Did Morrison stop using they/them pronouns? I thought they came out as non-binary in November last year.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I thought the evil superman threatening someone by turning coal into diamond in their fist was absolutely terrifying but I can’t remember much else about any of it

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dawgstar posted:

Did Morrison stop using they/them pronouns? I thought they came out as non-binary in November last year.

No, but that doesn't mean everyone got the memo or remembers. I only remember when I'm reminded, since I don't really think about them much anymore since they're not putting out anything I'm reading.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I try to edit the correct pronouns into posts when I spot a slip-up and then PM the poster about it. I do think most people on BSS are pretty good about it though-- I think they are probably the most high-profile non-binary person a comics fan is likely to have on their mind very often so I think by now a plurality of posters have just internalized it. People are pretty good about Vita Ayala as well.

It warms my heart a little that when people don't it's literally always an honest mistake and not malice!

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

I tend to forget but on the other hand over the years I've started to not think too much of GM's writing because they tend to disregard the story of the character to do whatever they want to.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Dawgstar posted:

Oh? I missed that, that's good to know.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I had not heard that about Morrison, either.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

poo poo. I’m probably going to screw that up plenty, but I’ll try my best to do better.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

https://twitter.com/thedcnation/status/1366795439043993600?s=19

Whole lot of begrudging praise over the art team on this one, haha.

Place your bets on whether King will go the escapist route of his Superman or 1% of his Batman work, or write another chapter in the saga of "[hero] hates themself and wants to die, please buy something else if you would like to have fun."

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Arkhams Razor posted:

No, I have similar feelings about them myself. It's one of the few works of theirs that I can genuinely say feels short on ideas, and it's really visible how much they're burnt out on Big 2 superhero comics. Liam Sharp turning in top-tier work throughout the entire project is probably the only reason not to dismiss the work completely.

I feel like Morrison's burnout with the format was beginning to manifest even as far back as Multiversity. I distinctly remember the ridiculously grimdark version of Dr. Sivana, and feeling that it was an implicit criticism of DC's editorial direction. And The Just was a pretty on-the-nose assertion that superheroes (at least as Morrison and their contemporaries built them up) lose their mythic potency if you push them to be a cultural commodity on the same level as celebrity gossip. DC's continuous reboots throughout the past decade definitely feel like they're towards that end, a desperate attempt to try to catch up with Marvel in the movie business, and in terms of cultural ubiquity. Morrison doesn't seem like the type to burn bridges or tell tales out of school, but I do have to wonder how they feel about architecting these complex concepts and storylines as work-for-hire only for them to be completely discounted or watered down by the follow-on writers. I couldn't blame them if they walked away from mainstream comics, at least for a while.

I've got the first volume of GL in hardcover, and will ultimately pick up the rest as budget allows. But the jarring transition to Hal suddenly being a Blackstar didn't stimulate in me any of the same "wtf is going on here" curiosity of the early Batman arc leading into RIP.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

istewart posted:

Morrison doesn't seem like the type to burn bridges or tell tales out of school, but I do have to wonder how they feel about architecting these complex concepts and storylines as work-for-hire only for them to be completely discounted or watered down by the follow-on writers. I couldn't blame them if they walked away from mainstream comics, at least for a while.

Haven't they been trying to get into TV and film scripting for a while now, instead of focusing on comics?

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

istewart posted:

Morrison doesn't seem like the type to burn bridges or tell tales out of school, but I do have to wonder how they feel about architecting these complex concepts and storylines as work-for-hire only for them to be completely discounted or watered down by the follow-on writers. I couldn't blame them if they walked away from mainstream comics, at least for a while.

I thought this was what their Action Comics run was about; that the Superman comics you buy will always be limited by the system they have to exist in and the imaginations of the people who create them, and so Superman’s greatest nemesis is the limits of the material reality which creates his stories, and the only way to fight it is to tell your own Superman stories instead

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010

Lord Krangdar posted:

Haven't they been trying to get into TV and film scripting for a while now, instead of focusing on comics?

e.g. Brave New World. Mixed feelings on that one. It started out interesting enough to forgive the deviations from the original, then reversed at the end to become a rather generic sci-fi.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
So I guess Man-Bat is canon, but it's before Metal and his joining the JLD. Maybe his upcoming therapy session with Harley Quinn will help.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

istewart posted:

I feel like Morrison's burnout with the format was beginning to manifest even as far back as Multiversity. I distinctly remember the ridiculously grimdark version of Dr. Sivana, and feeling that it was an implicit criticism of DC's editorial direction. And The Just was a pretty on-the-nose assertion that superheroes (at least as Morrison and their contemporaries built them up) lose their mythic potency if you push them to be a cultural commodity on the same level as celebrity gossip. DC's continuous reboots throughout the past decade definitely feel like they're towards that end, a desperate attempt to try to catch up with Marvel in the movie business, and in terms of cultural ubiquity. Morrison doesn't seem like the type to burn bridges or tell tales out of school, but I do have to wonder how they feel about architecting these complex concepts and storylines as work-for-hire only for them to be completely discounted or watered down by the follow-on writers. I couldn't blame them if they walked away from mainstream comics, at least for a while.

I've got the first volume of GL in hardcover, and will ultimately pick up the rest as budget allows. But the jarring transition to Hal suddenly being a Blackstar didn't stimulate in me any of the same "wtf is going on here" curiosity of the early Batman arc leading into RIP.

He guest edited Heavy Metal for awhile, that's gotta be refreshing.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Infinite Frontier was pretty neat and promised a lot of cool things, though it runs into that problem -- you know the one -- where it's merely the latest in a long line of DC Reboot specials that were pretty neat and promised a lot of cool things, and then one week later it's all eye-rolling bullshit again. There's already swaths of eye-rolling bullshit in some books that came out this week.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I mean I'll keep falling for it because I want it to work, but how many times is DC going to pull the "We've fixed continuity and everything is good again!" card before I learn that it is not good again. I feel like I've been doing this with DC for 25 years, mostly because I have been doing this with DC for 25 years.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

DC lack the courage of their convictions on anything. So does marvel but they're at least less transparent about it. There's only so many times they can say there's going to be a big shake up that's going to simplify continuity where it's just a half measure. If they want to be the guys who reset continuity ever thirty years, then do it, or don't. If they want to be the guys with legacy heroes, do it or don't. What they've been doing since the early 00s with all these half measures just sucks and is one of the reasons I hardly touch their comic output anymore.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

X-O posted:

I mean I'll keep falling for it because I want it to work, but how many times is DC going to pull the "We've fixed continuity and everything is good again!" card before I learn that it is not good again. I feel like I've been doing this with DC for 25 years, mostly because I have been doing this with DC for 25 years.

DC has been doing it a lot longer than 25 years.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Vince MechMahon posted:

DC lack the courage of their convictions on anything. So does marvel but they're at least less transparent about it. There's only so many times they can say there's going to be a big shake up that's going to simplify continuity where it's just a half measure. If they want to be the guys who reset continuity ever thirty years, then do it, or don't. If they want to be the guys with legacy heroes, do it or don't. What they've been doing since the early 00s with all these half measures just sucks and is one of the reasons I hardly touch their comic output anymore.

Marvel never resets their continuity like DC has done multiple times, they just (thankfully) ignore the worst parts until a writer has something clever to do with dealing with it. LIke they technically did with Secret Wars, but all that did was fold Miles into the 616.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
DC seems to believe that their business/financial issues are caused by story continuity issues and not caused by the fact that regular books often go for $6.99 or higher and are about 30% advertisements.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The big narrative takeaway I got was that Jon Kent's probably going away some time in the next year, which sucks.

Other than that, the Batgirls thing was rad, but I'm not sure when or how that's actually going to be reflected, unless they solicited a Batgirls title or backup I missed? And the Alan Scott/JSA thing was actually really sweet (Obsidian helping his dad come out was :3:) and a nice way of retconning things.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Suicide Squad was super good this week, but I wonder if it will make it 12 issues.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Skwirl posted:

DC has been doing it a lot longer than 25 years.

Well that's as long as I've personally been falling for it. Or however long it's been since Zero Hour.

Gaz-L posted:

The big narrative takeaway I got was that Jon Kent's probably going away some time in the next year, which sucks.

Yeah I don't know what kind of bullshit Spectre was on but if this turns into a "Jon Kent is going to be a bad guy" thing I'm super done with it before it even starts.

X-O fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Mar 3, 2021

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Skwirl posted:

Marvel never resets their continuity like DC has done multiple times, they just (thankfully) ignore the worst parts until a writer has something clever to do with dealing with it. LIke they technically did with Secret Wars, but all that did was fold Miles into the 616.

They're less dramatic, but they often do big change up stuff and then roll it back immediately. Doom going from hero to villain the second Bendis left is a good recent example. They are just better at not going "THIS IS THE BIGGEST EVENT EVER WITH FAR REACHING CONSEQUENCES THAT WILL EFFECT EVERYTHING FOREVER!" and then it ends up being the new 52 and it sucks and gets undone a few years later.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
New Swamp Thing. New guy as the host. Alec Holland will be back as the big Green guy in a few years, after JLD closes out and they make an excuse for why he can leave that dimension that he's become.

We have three Wonder Women (or maybe one of them is a new Wonder Girl?) and three Batgirls now (and lmao at Huntress's dig at it being like the BoP). Ollie is rich again which is...ehhh. Wally is the Flash again which should be exciting for some. _Rory_ is alive again and with both arms!. The new big bad for the next Gotham even seems meh and I hope it's not actually Crane in the mask. Darkseid IS back too and supposedly MORE POWERFUL THAN EVER which...okay.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Vince MechMahon posted:

They're less dramatic, but they often do big change up stuff and then roll it back immediately. Doom going from hero to villain the second Bendis left is a good recent example. They are just better at not going "THIS IS THE BIGGEST EVENT EVER WITH FAR REACHING CONSEQUENCES THAT WILL EFFECT EVERYTHING FOREVER!" and then it ends up being the new 52 and it sucks and gets undone a few years later.

I don't like Doom's immediate heel turn either, but Marvel didn't do anything that erased the events of Infamous Iron-Man, which is what DC tends to do.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
For me it was Time and Time Again, a Superman crossover in 1991. Three different eras of the Legion and references to Superboy who didn't exist? I had to know more.

And it was pretty goddamned confusing.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

it's still pretty funny that Marvel invented a wizard based south Pacific conflict to replace every war America didn't win after 1945 so dialogue about like Ben Grimm being a war veteran in a Roy Thomas issue of FF from the seventies doesn't make the Thing sound too old, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Skwirl posted:

I don't like Doom's immediate heel turn either, but Marvel didn't do anything that erased the events of Infamous Iron-Man, which is what DC tends to do.

If you totally ignore it and never mention it again is there really any difference between the two beyond semantics? Both companies use selective continuity, that being "whatever the current editorial team determines to be in continuity on that day," it's just that Marvel is a bit more honest about that.