Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Toshimo posted:

There's been 1 rule book and 2 mainline setting/adventure books every year, except 2020, where they only have 1 adventure. The non-mainline stuff (AI/CR/MtG) has picked up recently, but nope, they haven't changed the standard pace. Still no book for many of the fan-favorite settings: Dragonlance, Dark Sun, Spelljammer, Planescape. And the only Ravenloft book was a mediocre adventure, not really a good setting book.

They are releasing a Ravenloft setting book in may

and from people who I follow talking about it it sounds like they are coming out with 2 more 'classic' setting books after Ravenloft, at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Dexo posted:

and from people who I follow talking about it it sounds like they are coming out with 2 more 'classic' setting books after Ravenloft, at some point.

I mean, sure, yeah, but where's this stuff been for the last 7 years?

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
My math was a bit off, it's 30 books then. Not including the 2 coming out in the next few months. Also not including smaller stuff (I lumped all of the Dragon of Icefire Peak stuff together).

That seems like a lot? I mean, it's nothing compared to Rob Schwalb's output sure but he also doesn't put out huge books either.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Ultiville posted:

Honestly pretty much every D&D has/had more books than needed, this one being relatively restrained doesn't seem terrible.

Obviously I wish they were 30-odd books of a good game, but I don't think much would be improved if there were 60-odd of them. I do feel like the pace has picked up some recently, but that could just be the pandemic time anomaly talking.

Even if the system itself is mediocre, or they were trying to pivot away from the supplement glut of previous editions, it would still be nice if they were instead putting out adventure modules on a semi-regular basis...

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

KingKalamari posted:

Even if the system itself is mediocre, or they were trying to pivot away from the supplement glut of previous editions, it would still be nice if they were instead putting out adventure modules on a semi-regular basis...

Their old model had outsourced that to Paizo. Which in turn fractured the market with the release of Pathfinder.

I’m not sure if the suits above Mearls even have an appetite for it given the nominal cost difference in pumping out tie-ins that have a theoretical built in audience.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Arthil posted:

My math was a bit off, it's 30 books then. Not including the 2 coming out in the next few months. Also not including smaller stuff (I lumped all of the Dragon of Icefire Peak stuff together).

That seems like a lot? I mean, it's nothing compared to Rob Schwalb's output sure but he also doesn't put out huge books either.

You can’t count things that don’t exist yet. That’s how time works.

That said this is a dumb argument because number of splats written doesn’t really mean anything, but if for whatever bizarre reason that’s someone’s bag, 5e has massively less and you can determine that with Fermi estimation without counting.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
TBH there is such a thing as too much. Paizo intentionally cut back going to Pathfinder 2e, their editing and development teams just could not keep up with everything.

But what they are doing now - 3 core rulebooks yearly + 3 setting rulebooks yearly + monthly adventures is about right and is about where WotC was during 3e and 4e. People want more content because assembling characters out of lego pieces has been a big part of the game and genre for about 30 years now, give it to them.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I totally agree that there is a point where it's just shovelware. Anyone who lived through 2e or 3e is familiar with the Giant Book of Beholder Anuses or whatever. And using number of books published doesn't really reflect anything about quality or anything.

But if we're talking about the objective fact about how many 5e publications there have been, there are fewer. Make of that what you will, but that's how counting works.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

mellonbread posted:

Selling two separate male and female versions of the product is old meta.

They should sell a generic potato body, and a neverending stream of lootboxes/booster packs with randomly selected bodyparts from licensed media properties.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk0i0yTPJBY

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
In the first couple years of 5e's run, the small number of books being published was compared to the steady release schedule of prior editions, and I was surprised to hear people claim they wanted less material published for their system of choice and that they'd felt overwhelmed by the amount of content available.

So it's at least a little funny that now I'm seeing the number of books for 5e declared to be equivalent to the number released for 3.5 and 4e, and that this means that WotC is releasing plenty of content.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Dexo posted:

Re: Ravenloft, I feel like I should post this here. It’s a thread and I’m sure people will have opinions.

https://twitter.com/Delafina777/status/1364291824714571776

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Also in industry news, popular map-labelling game Beak, Feather and Bone has launched an SRD and a game jam to go with it.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Leperflesh posted:

For a few minutes, I thought Hasbro was actually doing something extremely cool and progressive by announcing they were dropping the "Mr." from "Mr. Potato Head", acknowledging that binary gender doesn't have to be and shouldn't be the default for their products, but welp

Nah it's just the trademark they're adjusting, Potato Heads will continue to enforce binary gender norms.

e. also MRS POTATO HEAD gets 1 fewer pieces than MR POTATO HEAD. Amazing.

https://twitter.com/periuspb/status/1364997700798668801

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Arthil posted:

Do...

You not count adventures, then? Or setting books?

I'm counting like 37 books.
I do not believe you read my post or understood it. I gave page counts for campaign setting books and adventures available at the time (July 2020) and included them in my tally. I broke out adventures because exclusively GM-facing products are a completely different animal from player-facing products.

Arthil posted:

D&D is more popular than it has ever been and yet WotC's book publishing output is comparable to literally one dude who used to work for them. There is no bigger story in the TG industry than WotC's ongoing decision to not publish D&D books in favor of endless D&D-adjacent products, which was the context in which I brought up my old post.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Baron Snow posted:

Re: Ravenloft, I feel like I should post this here. It’s a thread and I’m sure people will have opinions.

Is there anyone who hasn't already figured out their stance on The World's Most Produced Roleplaying Game?

Hiding Mearls is an unusual choice, but I suspect that's business 101 controversy-burrying.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

While I don't think Jessica Price is lying, I have no faith for WotC to do any but the slightest thing to distance Mearls after the last time when at best one of their other employees was misled. Unless it's incidental to him failing upward.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Baron Snow posted:

... Huh. I never post on Twitter and apparently this user has me blocked anyway. No idea what caused that. Opened in a browser so it was still legible, so whatever.
This seems like it says nothing whatsoever. Not sure it'll be controversial here. Maybe in the more reactionary communities.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
One thing I thought was curious is that all 5E books are in 9pt font, save for Tasha's, which is in 10.5. Which means it's the same page count as, say, Volo's, but about 30,000 words shorter.

I pulled that trick in middle school, too.

I wonder if 10.5 is the new 5E standard.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Looks like I am also blocked by Jessica Price for some reason. Either way I don't feel inclined to believe her because "don't boycott this thing I worked on" is not compelling to me. Besides that, what would ending a personal "boycott" even look like at this point? Mearls gets promoted to a better position where he's no longer touching D&D so I can buy all the books he did work on? Not happening. I admit, it hasn't been hard to avoid 5e because its such a bad system. If it had built on the foundation of 4e and been a better version of that I'd be more tempted, but as it stands even if Mearls didn't work on this one book I have no use for it. Seems like the best course of action remains just ignoring D&D entirely.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Serf posted:

Besides that, what would ending a personal "boycott" even look like at this point?

If they threw Mearls into a volcano, it's not going to take his fingerprints off the core system.

I guess we can ethically consume modules for a game system baked in toxicity. Yay.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

moths posted:

If they threw Mearls into a volcano, it's not going to take his fingerprints off the core system.

Let's not discourage them from trying, though.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
My problems with WOTC go far beyond Mearls, so I don’t want any of their products even if he’s not working on them. It’s like Blizzard though, it’s easy to boycott their products when you already don’t like any of them

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Hey there fellow goons. I recently finished my first Tabletop RPG, DEAD IN THE WEST, after it was funded on Kickstarter. I have about 85 physical copies to ship off, but I'm ordering 120 in total. I've ordered extras to give to several local gaming shops, who have seemed interested in the product.

I have an incredibly basic-bitch baby question: ... How much do I sell the book to the distributors for, per book? I ordered 120 books which came to £1974, or £16.45 per book. I'm selling the digital edition online for £16.49 on gumroad and backers paid £26 for the physical release when the project launched. I'd like to be making a profit here and I know this is incredibly basic stuff, but I am like little baby to this world and don't know what price I should name for retailers.

I must say, even by my own admission, the book is THICK and looks really nice.

And if any goons are interested, you can get the Digital Edition PDF here, and go ahead and use the code "goonsgowest" for a discount.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Calico Heart posted:

Hey there fellow goons. I recently finished my first Tabletop RPG, DEAD IN THE WEST, after it was funded on Kickstarter. I have about 85 physical copies to ship off, but I'm ordering 120 in total. I've ordered extras to give to several local gaming shops, who have seemed interested in the product.

I have an incredibly basic-bitch baby question: ... How much do I sell the book to the distributors for, per book? I ordered 120 books which came to £1974, or £16.45 per book. I'm selling the digital edition online for £16.49 on gumroad and backers paid £26 for the physical release when the project launched. I'd like to be making a profit here and I know this is incredibly basic stuff, but I am like little baby to this world and don't know what price I should name for retailers.

I must say, even by my own admission, the book is THICK and looks really nice.

And if any goons are interested, you can get the Digital Edition PDF here, and go ahead and use the code "goonsgowest" for a discount.

This looks potentially quite interesting, but I'm gonna ask the big one that comes up with every Western RPG: "Mythic Old West, like cowboy movies and pulp novels" is setting off industrial-size alarm bells without any further detail. Those cowboy movies and pulp novels are based deeply upon settler-colonial narratives that the common mythology of the Old West in media has built on top of as a foundation. What did you do to pull away from that?
It looks interesting, and when I've got some money freed up I'll likely pick up the PDF, but that not being handled is gonna be an instant dealbreaker and neither your gumroad page nor what I was able to find on the KS page answered that much at all.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Here is the statement on that from the book;

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Baron Snow posted:

Yeah...... The lead designer of that book worked on Pathfinder and Golarion which not going to lie doesn't give me much confidence that they aren't going to gently caress it up spectacularly.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I understand that Price needs money to live and wants to work in her chosen field, but boy she doesn’t do a good job of making it seem okay to buy

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MadScientistWorking posted:

Yeah...... The lead designer of that book worked on Pathfinder and Golarion which not going to lie doesn't give me much confidence that they aren't going to gently caress it up spectacularly.

Oh, is this what Wes Schneider disappeared to? He'll be good at it, he Gets Gothic Horror and did the Pathfinder/Golarion counterpart.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Arivia posted:

Oh, is this what Wes Schneider disappeared to? He'll be good at it, he Gets Gothic Horror and did the Pathfinder/Golarion counterpart.

Yea if anything Schneider being on this gives me hope because gothic horror was one of the few non-generic fantasy bits of Golarion that was strong right away.

Also I know 'we have a diverse staff doing things' isn't an inherent fix but I am happy to see a lot of cool people I already like getting namechecked for this

https://twitter.com/bananachangames/status/1364264896322560000

I love Ravenloft, it has some truly dogshit elements but it also is one of the most unique D&D settings that provides a very interesting change for a D&D group, I'm cautiously hopeful for this.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Toshimo posted:

I mean, sure, yeah, but where's this stuff been for the last 7 years?

In the case of Dragonlance wasn't it that they burned bridges with Weis and Hickman after 3e, and only got them back to write more DL novels by rolling up a truckload of cash? Then nearly hosed that up by some Super Genius deciding that they could get out of their contract by just refusing to approve any drafts?

Ah, yeah, sued WOTC for ~$30m in damages last year.

quote:

Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman’s Dragonlance lawsuit against Wizards of the Coast was dismissed without prejudice.

Weis and Hickman initially sued Wizards of the Coast for over $30 million claiming they breached a License Agreement for a new Dragonlance trilogy.

The lawsuit revealed that Weis and Hickman had contracted with Wizards of the Coast to license a new Dragonlance trilogy that would be published by Penguin Random House.

It went on to detail that Weis and Hickman had begun working on the trilogy and had even sent Wizards of the Coast the manuscript for the first book, who approved it in January 2020. Even foreign language editions were reportedly being translated.

However, by August 2020 the lawsuit claimed that Wizard of the Coast “would not approve any furthers Drafts of Book 1 or any subsequent works in the trilogy, effectively repudiating and terminating the Licensing Agreement.”

The suit went on to allege that “no reason was provided for the termination” and “the termination was wholly arbitrary and without contractual basis.”

It goes on to claim that “the termination was unlawful and in violation of multiple aspects of the License Agreement (arguably almost every part of it, in fact). The termination also had the knowing and premediated effect of precluding publication and destroying the value of [Weis and Hickman’s] work not to mention their publishing deal with Penguin Random House.”

The suit also claimed that Wizards of the Coast terminated the Licensing Agreement because Wizards of the Coast “was embroiled in a series of embarrassing public disputes whereby its non-Dragonlance publications were excoriated for racism and sexism.”

“[Weis and Hickman] are informed and believed, and based theron allege, that a discussion was made jointly by [Wizards of the Coast] and its parent company, Hasbro Inc., to deflect any possible criticism or further public outcry regarding [Wizards of the Coast’s] other properties by effectively killing the Dragonlance deal with [Weis and Hickman],” the suit goes on to state.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Feb 27, 2021

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

sexpig by night posted:

Yea if anything Schneider being on this gives me hope because gothic horror was one of the few non-generic fantasy bits of Golarion that was strong right away.

Also I know 'we have a diverse staff doing things' isn't an inherent fix but I am happy to see a lot of cool people I already like getting namechecked for this

I wonder how lovely WotC's gonna treat all of them.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Liquid Communism posted:

In the case of Dragonlance wasn't it that they burned bridges with Weis and Hickman after 3e, and only got them back to write more DL novels by rolling up a truckload of cash? Then nearly hosed that up by some Super Genius deciding that they could get out of their contract by just refusing to approve any drafts?

Ah, yeah, sued WOTC for ~$30m in damages last year.

Everyone kissed and made up a month or two ago and the books are coming out.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Yep, and rumor has it a DL setting book for 5e late this year.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

So...how has no one sued them on this? Docking workers pay on being a minute late? Even the US has SOME worker protection laws, right?
This is insane, at this point they can basically go all "FatCat Capitalist 18th Century Captain of Industry" O_o

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Kai Tave posted:

I wonder how lovely WotC's gonna treat all of them.

oh I'm sure like dogshit but that's a capitalism, baby! Right now I'm just calling it a win the rapist defender isn't an active part of the project, the bar's buried in the mantle of the earth at this point!

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Mr.Misfit posted:

So...how has no one sued them on this? Docking workers pay on being a minute late? Even the US has SOME worker protection laws, right?
This is insane, at this point they can basically go all "FatCat Capitalist 18th Century Captain of Industry" O_o

That tweet is doing the super annoying "why link a source when you can post a screenshot" thing, but toy companies basically don't do any production at all in the US. I am guessing that the CLW investigation referenced there is China Labor Watch.

The US does have some labor protections, which is why a lot of manufacturing is done overseas in places that are more willing to look the other way.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Liquid Communism posted:

Yep, and rumor has it a DL setting book for 5e late this year.

I believe Cam Banks really wants to write it but who knows if Wizards would be that smart.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
Arguments for why it's ok to buy from WotC sound like arguments for why it's okay to buy from Wendy's.

A) it's not okay. Unless you take the position that you don't care where your money goes, this is a bad place for your money to go.

B) why would you want to buy from them anyway? Their burgers/fries/RPG books are trash.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
I was crunching some numbers the other day, and figured that about 75% of WotC’s revenue comes M:tG Arena, which is something like $600,000,000 dollars. So, if you want to actually impact WotC’s bottom line, organizing people to stop playing Arena will be a lot more effective than a boycott of D&D.

That said, gently caress playing D&D or giving money to WotC in any way, even if personal boycotts aren’t the most effective strategy. I cannot in good conscience support WotC or Hasbro in any way at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Yeah, I take the very ethical and moral stance of not buying from WotC, which costs me less than nothing because I hate their products.