Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

BrianWilly posted:

As far as why Hayward wanted Vision when he already had a Vision, well, why wouldn't he want both of them?

TVIV, I swear. :sweatdrop:

He had the 3star version. Of course he wants the 5star limited time version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Who the gently caress works for SWORD and drives a PT Cruiser.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Gwaihir posted:

The shadowy figure looks exactly like it's wearing Wanda's classic Scarlet Witch headpiece that she had on in the Halloween episode

Someone on reddit hosed around with that screen and It's definitely Wanda and it also seems like they've already shown us pieces of the costume in posters.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It's Phoenix duh!

That was alright though - but having a infodump right before the finale seems weird. Hoping the last episode goes out on a bang.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

None of this is new to the thread, but I guess I'm piecing it together for my own benefit from what other people have said, on how I figure they'll introduce mutants.

The mutant gene has been around for years, laying dormant. Interaction with the stones can unlock it, like it did for Wanda and Pietro. The stones being used 3 times on Earth was such a huge loving deal that it unlocked it for all mutants on the Earth. Bingo bango, mutants.

Sound about right?

Grillfiend
Nov 29, 2015

Belgians ITT
(ie Me)

I'm just hoping White Vision sticks around for a while alongside new old Vision and we get an unanounced movie called "Double Vision

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
If Wanda is the Scarlet Witch and can use chaos magic to create stuff, why did Vision fall apart after he left the Hex?

Jagermonster
May 7, 2005

Hey - NIZE HAT!

Vintersorg posted:

It's Phoenix duh!

Honestly though it really does seem like they’re Dark Phoenixing Wanda which I’m not crazy about. I have a feeling the big bad in the next Strange movie isnt going to be Mephisto or Nightmare, it’s going to be Wanda who’s succumbed to the dark power of the fabled Scarlet Witch .

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

live with fruit posted:

Considering that Heyward's motives aren't malicious, it seems like a situation where White Vision goes rogue and the heroes inside have to bail him out.

How did you come to that conclusion about his motives? It was heavily implied that Heyward is familiar with Scarlet Witch in the episode where he was fishing for the name. And in this episode, it was revealed that Hayward framed Wanda for stealing Vision’s body even though he knew she didn’t with edited footage. Additionally, he was heavily pressuring Wanda into thinking she could bring him back from the dead.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

This whole episode :kingsley::kingsley::kingsley:

Vintersorg posted:

It's Phoenix duh!

My mind when reading that word: oh no, not again, please no.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
Did anyone else notice that Agatha's Mother had a crown that appeared when she was attacking Agatha? It was made of blue energy, same as her magic, but it was clearly there and had a similar shape to Wanda's classic crown. I wonder if that means anything... do witches just get crowns?

Robot Hobo fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Feb 26, 2021

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

ghostwritingduck posted:

How did you come to that conclusion about his motives? It was heavily implied that Heyward is familiar with Scarlet Witch in the episode where he was fishing for the name. And in this episode, it was revealed that Hayward framed Wanda for stealing Vision’s body even though he knew she didn’t with edited footage. Additionally, he was heavily pressuring Wanda into thinking she could bring him back from the dead.

I'm starting to think he is familiar with magic. Holy poo poo if he is really Ralph. :lol: And yeah, his dialogue when he was with Wanda was really odd.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

live with fruit posted:

If Wanda is the Scarlet Witch and can use chaos magic to create stuff, why did Vision fall apart after he left the Hex?

Because her abilities don't extend beyond the hex, apparently. That Vision isn't real

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Thundercracker posted:

He had the 3star version. Of course he wants the 5star limited time version.

This is a foil rare Vision. It plays the same but looks so cool.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

ghostwritingduck posted:

It was heavily implied that Heyward is familiar with Scarlet Witch in the episode where he was fishing for the name. And in this episode, it was revealed that Hayward framed Wanda for stealing Vision’s body even though he knew she didn’t with edited footage. Additionally, he was heavily pressuring Wanda into thinking she could bring him back from the dead.
Yeah, the Director isn't just being a mustache twirling villain, now it's clear this is all very methodical. He let Wanda into the SWORD base see if she could revive Vision to be their weapon. That didn't immediately work, so he started planting it in her head "Hey, you've got the power to bring him back, right? Didja try that yet? Hint Hint lady." Then that didn't work, so he framed her so he has a legit-seeming justification to try another plan.

It's Project Cataract... Cataract, as in something that gives you Bad Vision... Ok, I take it back, that's loving top-tier mustache twirl.

Kal-L posted:

Is it me, or was it hinted that Wanda was surprised at finding the paper in her car? Like someone was waiting until her darkest moment to just give a little push with showing her that the life she always wanted was now gone forever?
The envelope was already open, so I think we're supposed to assume it was her that had opened it, which was what triggered her to go to SWORD in the first place for some closure.

Robot Hobo fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Feb 26, 2021

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

ghostwritingduck posted:

He's been misleading Wanda because she could ruin his new defense weapon. Maybe it's an offense weapon but the show hasn't done anything to suggest that's the case and considering that it's basically the same plan Tony had in Ultron, and reaffirmed his belief in in Endgame, it's reasonable to assume that Heyward doesn't plan to use White Vision to go bomb other countries/planets.

He's a bad guy in the show but in the big picture, and for the director of a defense agency, his actions make sense.

live with fruit fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Feb 26, 2021

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Kal-L posted:

Found this thread late.

Anyway, my all-out there theory for that would be that by the end Wanda traps Agatha and Hayward in the roles of Agnes and her husband Ralph, constantly living in re-runs forever

Is it me, or was it hinted that Wanda was surprised at finding the paper in her car? Like someone was waiting until her darkest moment to just give a little push with showing her that the life she always wanted was now gone forever?

Robot Hobo posted:

Yeah, the Director isn't just being a mustache twirling villain, now it's clear this is all very methodical. He let Wanda into the SWORD base see if she could revive Vision to be their weapon. That didn't immediately work, so he started planting it in her head "Hey, you've got the power to bring him back, right? Didja try that yet? Hint Hint lady." Then that didn't work, so he framed her so he has a legit-seeming justification to try another plan.

It's Project Cataract... Cataract, as in something that gives you Bad Vision... Ok, I take it back, that's loving top-tier mustache twirl.

The envelope was already open, so I think we're supposed to assume it was her that had opened it, which was what triggered her to go to SWORD in the first place for some closure.

it was a letter from vision. It say "to grow old in. V." on it. Remember for her, vision died a few days ago. They both could have come to this town and picked out that home a month ago in her time. When the town was doing well and it was a perfect little town. Then the blip hit and it went to hell. She went there to see the house her and vision were going to live in and it broke her.

badjohny fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Feb 26, 2021

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Can this thread just be labeled SPOILERS? It's super annoying trying to read on mobile and having to click on every single black box

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
RE: Agatha I'm glad they are going a little more grey with her. Yeah she's an rear end in a top hat and not a good person but she does not seem to be the overall villain here, just someone who was like "WTF is this magic holy poo poo it might be this mythical bad legend all witches know about I better check it out!" I mean the kids aren't real. She's trying to show Wanda all this poo poo isn't real and it isn't healthy, she flat out said it. In like the worst rear end in a top hat way but there it is.

RE: Heyward He's definitely the "big bad." I agree with everyone saying he was very deliberate in his interactions with Wanda. If he's Mephisto or whatever, it doesn't really matter to me, but he definitely said the exact right things to get Wanda to despair more.

Also I'm not gonna spoil this part but I appreciated "That accent, it sure does come and go doesn't it?"

LegionAreI fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Feb 26, 2021

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

LegionAreI posted:

Also I'm not gonna spoil this part but I appreciated "That accent, it sure does come and go doesn't it?"

Just roasting them the whole time, lmao

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

80s James Hetfield posted:

Can this thread just be labeled SPOILERS? It's super annoying trying to read on mobile and having to click on every single black box

Same. It's even sillier when people spoiler their own wild speculation.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

It just hit me that the two antagonists of the show are both directors.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Gavok posted:

It just hit me that the two antagonists of the show are both directors.

lmao

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Something something Snyder Cut.

Mochiballs
Aug 27, 2006
This is weird but I've been living in eastern Europe for the last 7 years and I remember convincing my friends and colleagues to come watch Infinity War when it came out. I was super embarrassed by Wanda cause first she's a witch that married a robot and how the hell am I supposed to explain THAT to non-comic book people, but also Elizabeth Olsen has a cringeworthy accent when she decides to give it a go. So anyway she was my least favorite character. But this show has me really caring about her and Vision which I really didn't think was possible before.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

About Agatha, It almost seemed like when they did the flashback and a couple of times during the episode that Agatha didn't seem fully in control of herself. I think I just misread her performance, but for a bit it seemed like she was trying to say she didn't want to steal the magic, or a few other spots where she it almost seemed like someone else was speaking as Agatha. It's probably just Kathryn Hahn, but it seemed that way to me.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

badjohny posted:

it was a letter from vision. It say "to grow old in. V." on it. Remember for her, vision died a few days ago. They both could have come to this town and picked out that home a month ago in her time. When the town was doing well and it was a perfect little town. Then the blip hit and it went to hell. She went there to see the house her and vision were going to live in and it broke her.

I'm assuming the deed was something actually bought by Vision off screen sometime around Infinity War, but I wonder if there's an outside chance it was a fake sent to her by Heyward. Some 4D chess move to traumatize her into using her powers even more. The only way I can see that is if there's more to him than being a mere human, meaning someone with more magical knowledge.

seaborgium posted:

About Agatha, It almost seemed like when they did the flashback and a couple of times during the episode that Agatha didn't seem fully in control of herself. I think I just misread her performance, but for a bit it seemed like she was trying to say she didn't want to steal the magic, or a few other spots where she it almost seemed like someone else was speaking as Agatha. It's probably just Kathryn Hahn, but it seemed that way to me.

I got some vibes of this as well, and technically we still don't know the full story of the deaths she's caused. We don't really know the nature of the witches trying to contain her. What magic was she going after? The Sparky death is the most blatant kill of an innocent, but even that is up in the air, since it was a random stray dog that came out of nowhere. Was it real? Was it transmuted from something else like the cicada? Is killing a bug a more "good" act than killing a dog?

Teek fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Feb 26, 2021

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

tsob posted:

If the opening scene is anything to go by, then Agatha should be able to sympathize, since she claims that magic just bends to her will too and that all she wanted was training so she could control it. Which, it could just be her trying to deceive people, but the scene certainly suggests there's some degree of truth to, since the beams the other witches fire at her just turn on them with no apparent effort from Agatha herself. Which, one thing I really liked about this episode is that Hahn was really difficult to read morally, because she'd do some things that suggest she's out for personal gain, and others that suggest she's got a more benevolent purpose. Or at least, benevolent from her point of view. She begs for help during the trail, but then acts cold once her mother starts firing at her, and then just takes her mother's broach in what seems like a very non-nonsense manner. She still has it though, which suggests some sentimental connection regardless. All of Agatha's pushing Wanda certainly seems like tough love therapy, explaining things and then forcing someone to confront their past, but she was also just occasionally a bit too mean during it with some of her lines to seem entirely nice. Like saying that she couldn't just resurrect Pietro, since he was full of holes with a goofy face. She's mogging in full on witch costume while strangling the kids, but at the same time, she's just talking to Wanda and not making any kind of demands or anything. It's really difficult to get a read on her, and leaves her exact motivations going in to the finale entirely ambiguous. It's great.

I wonder if any of this episode was inspired by a particularly memorable Mr Robot episode from its final season. Its a very similar dynamic. Mr Robot spoiler:

Antagonist with self-serving motivations plays therapist and helps the protagonist through a breakthrough, using force where necessary, culminating in a fourth wall break as the illusion breaks. Antagonist may or may not have some sympathy mixed in with greed.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Feb 26, 2021

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Honestly, Hayward asking about Wanda's code name may just be a way of reminding the audience that she didn't technically have one. The SWORD scenes were filled with bits like that, with Darcy and Jimmy periodically reminding us of things that happened, and let's be honest that some of that dialogue was pretty stilted and unnatural.

Him having the impression that Wanda might be able to reactivate Vision is somewhat curious, but also might just turn out to be nothing. I'd be very surprised if he's some sort of magic person.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

OK I'm a terrible person because I burst out laughing when Wanda's family blew up during TV night, but in my defense it reminded me of this

https://twitter.com/jackdwagner/status/1208174810066350080

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, bear in mind not everyone who watches these movies is a turbonerd like us. That line about her not having a 'funny nickname' and the subsequent very pointed line Jimmy had referring to Captain Marvel by hers was basically going "Hey, normies, isn't it odd that Wanda doesn't have a cool superhero name? :thunk:"

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

if the actor bettany wanted to act with for so long was himself that's funny as poo poo

still spent the majority of the episode wanting to revisit monica and (fake) pietro

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

LegionAreI posted:

RE: Agatha I'm glad they are going a little more grey with her. Yeah she's an rear end in a top hat and not a good person but she does not seem to be the overall villain here, just someone who was like "WTF is this magic holy poo poo it might be this mythical bad legend all witches know about I better check it out!" I mean the kids aren't real. She's trying to show Wanda all this poo poo isn't real and it isn't healthy, she flat out said it. In like the worst rear end in a top hat way but there it is.

I don't know about that. Agatha might very well be a good person but like the trope says, "good doesn't necessarily mean nice." Sometimes you kind of have to be the rear end in a top hat because the truth hurts. It's how you know that it's the truth. Also note that Agatha echoes Monica in talking about people's truth. People have been speculating that Agatha was working for someone else. Maybe that "someone else" is Stephen Strange.

Like, "Agatha Harkness? Stephen Strange here. Listen, I still need a couple dozen naps from saving the universe from Thanos. Would you mind checking out whatever-the-hell is up with Westview, New Jersey? Thanks. I'll owe you one."

LegionAreI posted:

RE: Heyward He's definitely the "big bad." I agree with everyone saying he was very deliberate in his interactions with Wanda. If he's Mephisto or whatever, it doesn't really matter to me, but he definitely said the exact right things to get Wanda to despair more.

Honestly, I don't think Hayward is "the big bad." He's "a bad" but the "big bad" here is still Wanda - or at least Wanda's response to her own grief and loss. Maybe Hayward's words increased Wanda's despair, but he was pretty much telling her the truth that no, she's not taking $3 Billion in Vibranium just to stick it in a grave - a grave that will almost immediately be robbed because $3 Billion. I think Hayward was hoping that Wanda could/would bring her boyfriend back online because he wants his "sentient weapon." I think he tried the drone-strike with the idea that he could take out Wanda and then going in and take "her" Vision. Hayward's biggest problem is that he really doesn't get what he's dealing with. He thinks of Wanda as that sad little girl-woman grieving for her dead robot boyfriend that he met at SWORD. He doesn't understand what she really is. I think Agatha now does understand at least part of it and it terrifies her.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

double negative posted:

if the actor bettany wanted to act with for so long was himself that's funny as poo poo

still spent the majority of the episode wanting to revisit monica and (fake) pietro

Bettany: "And in the finale of WandaVision, I got a great performance out of me, because I respect me so much!"

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Oh god. The first episode. The calendar was the deed. Vision couldn't remember why there was a heart, Wanda didn't want to remember, so she made out the story of Vision's bosses on the go. :cry:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

"Let's practice our English tonight" is definitely one of the better contrivances for non-English characters to switch language mid scene.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
It'll be funny if Agatha turned out to be Hayward's partner in an I Dream of Jeannie-like situation.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Desperado Bones posted:

Oh god. The first episode. The calendar was the deed. Vision couldn't remember why there was a heart, Wanda didn't want to remember, so she made out the story of Vision's bosses on the go. :cry:

drat.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Desperado Bones posted:

Just said "OOOOOH" outloud irl

didn't someone else in this thread say there was a heart on a different day in a more recent episode? guess the calendar always has a heart on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I mean Heyward is a manipulative bastard, he shows the video to everyone of Wanda breaking into SWORD and it turns out Whoops she had a relatively civil and clam conversation with him. She didn't break in and steal vision, he made it look that way. And it keeps the troops map and not focused on what he is doing.