Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Koramei posted:

Am I misremembering, or did the very early versions of Sims 1 force you to manually turn lights on and off? Like, your sim would go up to them and do an animation every time.

I swear that was the case but when I played Sims 1 complete a few years back it wasn't, so either I'm wrong or they patched it out at some point.

If it was, it was super base game. I don’t remember anything other that the on/off/auto-light menu with automatic shifting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

Iirc in the Sims 1 lights were off unless a Sim entered that room. All the lights in the entire house wouldn't turn on just because someone woke up at 2am to take a piss. Also bulbs blew out.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I lost like 3 sims to electrocution from changing light bulbs in 1.

Similarly, I lost two sims to fire in 3 before I started putting an emergency shower in the sculpting studio. One of those had his dog rescue him from the Grim Reaper, but the process dropped him out of his marriage.

Back on gardening chat, the biggest problem I had with it in 3 was I could never find the sprinkler without going into room sort > Outdoors > Outdoor Activities. It's in Decor > Plants, which makes sense, but is absolutely not where I'd expect it. It shoots out water, it's Misc Plumbing. Otherwise, I had a sim that just lived off gardening as a challenge run, and it was more of a lack-of-challenge run. Time-consuming yes, but I think she made money faster than my actual job-having people.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Looked further into the lightbulbs thing because I thought it was weird how it only appeared in the console versions of The Sims and yet people apparently remember seeing it in the PC version. Hell, even I started thinking that I swear seeing a sim get electrocuted from changing a burnt bulb in the original.

Turns out it was a feature in the original release of The Sims, but was patched out with one of the expansions when they added ceiling lights. Makes sense, Bustin’ Out doesn’t have ceiling lights at all. Definitely happy they didn’t add it back in with Sims 2. The roaches (I got PTSD from somebody mentioning those things) and mandatory gardening were bad enough carryovers.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Oh huh, I guess that's what I must be remembering too then, rather than them turning out the lights.

It's the kind of thing that I actually wouldn't mind if it was like, one light per house per week or something.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Huh! It must have completely passed me by because when I was a kid, we had Deluxe Edition for our base game.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Things I don't miss from Sims1: family friend requirements for promotions while also having your sim work every day no weekends. You pretty much had to have a second sim just hanging out keeping the house from catching on fire and socializing constantly.
I was constantly trapped in a cycle of
-needing to get enough promotions to make enough money to be able to propose to another sim, in order to get married and have a child
-needing my adult sims to have chidlren purely to make friends with other neighborhood children so their parents could get a promotion

Especially before the daily/lifetime relationship score tiers were introduced in Hot Date; IIRC your daily relationship score would drop five points per day, and the option to call someone up just to talk on the phone hadn't been introduced yet, so it was a constant scramble to invite a few friends over whenever possible just to max out their relationship score so you could avoid them for 9 days and not lose the friendship
(you had to manually invite one at a time too, because in TS1 the "throw party" option was uncontrolled and would summon five random sims to your house, you weren't able to choose who. Sometimes I kinda miss that though especially when I have sims new to the neighborhood who don't know anybody yet and I just wanna fill their yard with like 25 randos and see who they click with)

quote:

Things I do miss from Sims1: The nonsense weird phone calls
Do you canoe?

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

broothilldup

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
The prank calls were the weirdest thing to my 12 year old self that left me paranoid that something was gonna happen.

While I agree some of the older stuff was constant busy work, there is a lot of times in Sims 4 where it feels like all I do is learn skills > socialize > work, but maybe not cause there is so many other ways to make easy money that getting a job is for chumps. Almost makes me wish there was broken ceiling lights to shake things up.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
I really like the climbing walls from the new expansion and the mountain climbing event, it's something cool to aspire to. You can build on the mountaintop lot apparently but only once you summit, and it's then only available to other sims who summit. Shame, I wanted to make a family live on Everest

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Leal posted:

The prank calls were the weirdest thing to my 12 year old self that left me paranoid that something was gonna happen.

While I agree some of the older stuff was constant busy work, there is a lot of times in Sims 4 where it feels like all I do is learn skills > socialize > work, but maybe not cause there is so many other ways to make easy money that getting a job is for chumps. Almost makes me wish there was broken ceiling lights to shake things up.

I've found that doing a teen rags to riches kind of thing scratches that itch, because you have to essentially juggle a non paying career, all the needs you can't meet yet because you're too broke to afford walls, (doing a dumpster diver one where you can only use buy items you find in the trash is fun), and you have random mood swings like +50 to sad for 4 hours. Its a nice change of pace having to actually juggle a few things and occasionally have to let something drop. For extra fun go off the grid.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

I've found that doing a teen rags to riches kind of thing scratches that itch, because you have to essentially juggle a non paying career, all the needs you can't meet yet because you're too broke to afford walls, (doing a dumpster diver one where you can only use buy items you find in the trash is fun), and you have random mood swings like +50 to sad for 4 hours. Its a nice change of pace having to actually juggle a few things and occasionally have to let something drop. For extra fun go off the grid.

I tried that, on the off-the-grid shipping container lot. It was definitely the Dwarf Fortress kind of fun. My grill got struck by lightning, which was almost a benefit, because climbing the ladder to cook practically doubled the time it took to eat a meal. I could usually choose to keep most of my needs up, or do homework, but not both. I certainly didn't have the time to train Mixology to actually get a promotion at the coffee shop.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

well its 4 am, homework isn't done, needs are in the toilet I hope we still have a vacation day left...oh we don't. And I came home with a project, fabulous. Maybe I'll just throw all this broken poo poo in the yard and hope Tina shows up to fix all of it then I can throw the resulting trash in the dumpster in the slim hope of pulling a bed instead of my 85th sink or yet another debug item.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
But how was your sims session?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

did they add mummies in to sims 4 yet? i loved having a mummy roommate in sims 3

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

juggalo baby coffin posted:

did they add mummies in to sims 4 yet? i loved having a mummy roommate in sims 3

Jungle Adventure has animate skeletons. They can't join a family and live on a household lot permanently, though.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

They had a 21st birthday update. Go and get your free stuff.

it's some nice furniture, some clothes I swear were already in it, crows feet for your aging sim, and uh...nose shine? I'm not actually sure what one of the things is. The circle highlights nose/mouth area and the eye area...i guess its shinier?

Anyway it's all fan made stuff so let me be the first to grouse "I HOPE THEY WERE PAID FOR IT. Those cheap EA bastards!"

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang posted:

They had a 21st birthday update. Go and get your free stuff.

it's some nice furniture, some clothes I swear were already in it, crows feet for your aging sim, and uh...nose shine? I'm not actually sure what one of the things is. The circle highlights nose/mouth area and the eye area...i guess its shinier?

Anyway it's all fan made stuff so let me be the first to grouse "I HOPE THEY WERE PAID FOR IT. Those cheap EA bastards!"

A lot of them uploaded CC they already had up for free so uh.

I had to go through all my stuff and pull out the versions that I had already downloaded...

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Bunk beds are also coming sometime late next month.

Pack descriptions from game files posted:

What is a Kit? – Kits are mini bits of content designed to enhance the way YOU play! Each Kit is a little bit different. Play around! Explore Our Kits.

The Sims™ 4 Bust the Dust Kit – Dust off the vacuum and tidy up in The Sims™ 4 Bust the Dust Kit! Dust is piling up and spawning friendly bunnies and dastardly filth fiends in Sims’ homes. Get rid of the muck by cleaning, or settle in for a messy life. Conquer chores with new buffs and rewards for each dust level, vacuums to help fight the good fight, and aspirations related to cleanliness.

Kit Features: Avoid Dust-Ups, Clean Up Your Act, Fight Against The Encroaching Dust.

The Sims™ 4 Country Kitchen Kit – Transform your Sim’s kitchen into the most charming part of their home with The Sims™ 4 Country Kitchen Kit! From vintage refrigerators to casserole dishes, these Build/Buy objects offer a delightfully trendy take on a timeless style.

Kit Features: Cook in Comfort, Make It Homey.

The Sims™ 4 Throwback Fit Kit – Outfit your Sims in retro-inspired athleisure looks with The Sims™ 4 Throwback Fit Kit! Take it back to nostalgic colors, bold patterns, and trend-forward silhouettes with these all-new Create-a-Sim items. Updated everyday classics and workout wear elevate this unique collection—and your Sim’s fashion.

Kit Features: Get Fit in Style, Blast from the Past? As If! Neons are in Style!
Microtransactions are also coming sometime next month. :unsmigghh:

Kind of sounds like they're chopping up stuff packs from the previous format of a new object with gameplay and animations, CAS items and build/buy reskins to just selling each separately when they don't have a common theme to bind all three together. Coincidentally, if they price kit packs at five bux a pop, that'll mean they can effectively charge 15 dollars for what used to be a 10 dollar stuff pack's worth of items. Well, how about that!

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

My shameful secret is that I own nearly all of the lovely Sims 3 store crap, at least the stuff that provides new content/interactions. I didn't pay for the Sims Points though. I just wasted my afternoons watching ads to earn them.

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

Honestly gonna get the 'we-prefer-the-term-kit-mechanics' digital products just to contrast the absence of Batuu on my account even harder.

...and okay yea maybe the vacuums do something

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

So they're stuff packs but with... Less content?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
"Blast From the Past? As If!" is exactly what I personally say whenever I purchase activewear.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Simsmagic posted:

So they're stuff packs but with... Less content?

Pretty much, if you are just looking some QoL items in the game to spice things up, the dust system is gonna be a bane for people who build oversized unplaytested house and want every tiny little mechanic.

As for me, I don't really mind since it keeps the content downtime to a minimum and we are just chewing through content like nuts

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Sims are so stupid sometimes. Of course the snobbish foodie Sim will ignore the fridge full of excellent gourmet meals and grab a ham sandwich, and then settle down to watch the romance channel, why would they do anything else.

Fake edit: And when I cancel the TV watching after they grow bored, I come back to them a minute later and find they're back to watching that same channel. "Like herding cats" is the phrase that comes to mind here.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I got the dust kit because I like making sims more miserable, and they won't stop vacuuming. Like hungry as poo poo and will cancel out of making food to go vacuum the yard (the yard part is probably because of tiny house reasons). I was making really good money off the dust bunnies. In addition to finding valuable stuff, they also just occasionally give you $20-50 as though you were playing an instrument for tips. I befriended one so it would stay no matter how clean the house was, because every time I took my eyes off the sim he started vacuuming, and as soon as I left the lot the little bastard vanished. It was at that point I realized that I had to get rid of the vacuum and just keep rebuying it whenever it was getting too gross. So...at least it adds a lot of gameplay?

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

This kid has a cool name.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

I got the dust kit because I like making sims more miserable, and they won't stop vacuuming. Like hungry as poo poo and will cancel out of making food to go vacuum the yard (the yard part is probably because of tiny house reasons). I was making really good money off the dust bunnies. In addition to finding valuable stuff, they also just occasionally give you $20-50 as though you were playing an instrument for tips. I befriended one so it would stay no matter how clean the house was, because every time I took my eyes off the sim he started vacuuming, and as soon as I left the lot the little bastard vanished. It was at that point I realized that I had to get rid of the vacuum and just keep rebuying it whenever it was getting too gross. So...at least it adds a lot of gameplay?

You can turn off dust in the gameplay option as well as activate your robovac to the dirty work for you

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Its really a broken amount of money you get though, its not hard to get a 10k jungle adventures treasure in one day of in game time. Its just a really weirdly balanced pack.

edit: I know you can turn it off, this is more of a complaint about terrible tuning on EAs part.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Here's my little wondering, re: broken poo poo. Please know I have no experience with game design or real computer work so it likely sounds really ignorant.

Is it a matter of not testing these things? or testing them but then it's too much :effort: to fix them?

I know there's millions of variables and this is way more complex than, say, TS1 was, but a lot of this stuff seems like issues from a mechanical standpoint rather than just a glitch, like things that could/should easily be caught. Is it just a matter of why allocate resources and time to remediating those things when you know people are going to spend money no matter what?

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

sweeperbravo posted:

Here's my little wondering, re: broken poo poo. Please know I have no experience with game design or real computer work so it likely sounds really ignorant.

Is it a matter of not testing these things? or testing them but then it's too much :effort: to fix them?

I know there's millions of variables and this is way more complex than, say, TS1 was, but a lot of this stuff seems like issues from a mechanical standpoint rather than just a glitch, like things that could/should easily be caught. Is it just a matter of why allocate resources and time to remediating those things when you know people are going to spend money no matter what?

If it's anything like the place I used to work at, the QA testers have no input on "design" so if there's no bug preventing it from actually working, you're told to gently caress off and leave balance to the design team. Then it never gets fixed because the design team doesn't actually play the game.

Or it IS a bug, but it popped up in a build close to launch where lower severity bugs are on lockdown, so if it's not a showstopper you can't actually log it

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I might turn dust off in the future because you have to vacuum too often and having clean floors is too broken.

You definitely should only have to vacuum once a week instead of every day and the inspired moodlet from clean floors should only last a day at most instead of indefinitely as long as the floors are clean.

And meanwhile gardening is still broken and I just got the glitch where cabinets being “too low” (aka as high as I can place them with short walls) preventing my Sims from using the sink or dishwasher, which also still exists.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
With the pace of release and interconnected nature of every add on I wouldn't be surprised that they need a small congress to do simple bug fixes to avoid accidentally causing fire pee regression. Just massive technical debt because a bug fix doesn't give a new sales SKU while still being beholden to only release with major patches because a regression test cycle is more effort than a brand new game beta.

Sims 5 when? in other words.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

zedprime posted:

With the pace of release and interconnected nature of every add on I wouldn't be surprised that they need a small congress to do simple bug fixes to avoid accidentally causing fire pee regression. Just massive technical debt because a bug fix doesn't give a new sales SKU while still being beholden to only release with major patches because a regression test cycle is more effort than a brand new game beta.

Sims 5 when? in other words.

I think its fundamentally this. In a late expansion cycle Sims franchise in particular bug fixes simultaneously take a significant amount of testing resources to make sure you aren't breaking the game elsewhere, and quite frankly doesn't buy you much. When your average sale plays the game for less than 16 hours, bug fixes that aren't egregious or obvious in an old content pack simply don't warrant the cost of fixing it for the current franchise management. If those bugs coincidentally get fixed while working on new content great, but no one is going to pass on Sims 4: To the Moon because the dig sites in Jungle Adventure stopped working. If they got to the point of noticing x bug, they are already on board the franchise 100% and will buy anything, so its a sure thing, or they just occasionally buy a lot of packs on sale and they'll get the new poo poo on sale same as the old anyway.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I just wish the modders were able to figure out why gardening is hosed up so it could be fixed somehow.

I really want to run a Sims farm and I’ve got all this great stuff from Icemunmun to do so with, but growing plants is fundamentally broken and has been since Eco Living came out. :sigh:

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

hopeandjoy posted:

growing plants is fundamentally broken and has been since Eco Living came out. :sigh:

there is a tremendously sad irony in this

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Omnicarus posted:

Sims 4: To the Moon

Initial release reveals you can only reach the moon with the rocket specifically released with the expansion, the bugfix patch a month later makes cats vomit lawn gnomes.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

seeing the moon spawns a "wow! the moon!" moodlet which will not go away

new boot goofin
Jul 23, 2007

like school in july

hopeandjoy posted:

I just wish the modders were able to figure out why gardening is hosed up so it could be fixed somehow.

I really want to run a Sims farm and I’ve got all this great stuff from Icemunmun to do so with, but growing plants is fundamentally broken and has been since Eco Living came out. :sigh:

Oh man, I guess I hadn't noticed gardening was broken since I haven't tried to grow plants in my game for some time. What in particular is broken? I have a few tuning mods in my game to improve gardening that might help :shobon:

Edit: aaaaand I just noticed what you said about modders not fixing the game SO NEVER MIND SORRY. Auuugh

This game is a loving mess, I have literal gigs of mods and it's still boring and broken, ugh

new boot goofin fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Mar 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

HOT BREAD! posted:

Oh man, I guess I hadn't noticed gardening was broken since I haven't tried to grow plants in my game for some time. What in particular is broken? I have a few tuning mods in my game to improve gardening that might help :shobon:

Edit: aaaaand I just noticed what you said about modders not fixing the game SO NEVER MIND SORRY. Auuugh

This game is a loving mess, I have literal gigs of mods and it's still boring and broken, ugh

Plants randomly revert to being dirt piles. Is it because of traveling to a different lot? Is it because evolution is borked? Is it because I didn’t perform the correct blood sacrifice to the game? The world may never know.

And yet, somehow it’s more stable than TS3.