Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Motronic posted:

You've already been told this is not necessary. You can establish credit by responsibly using credit cards. It can cost you $0. Or even less if you have a rewards card that you use well.

For what it’s worth, even with 800+ credit and plenty of credits cards with 10+ years history, I still ran into nonsense with dealer financing for a new vehicle bc I didn’t have an auto loan in my history. How much of that was them blowing smoke, probably a lot, but it still comes up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

ScooterMcTiny posted:

For what it’s worth, even with 800+ credit and plenty of credits cards with 10+ years history, I still ran into nonsense with dealer financing for a new vehicle bc I didn’t have an auto loan in my history. How much of that was them blowing smoke, probably a lot, but it still comes up.

The CU representative that I was speaking to on the phone before I got rejected was saying that a previous auto loan is the only way to close the gap between ~3.5% and the 2% that they advertise

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

feelix posted:

Yeah I think I'm gonna try to do that tomorrow. Assuming I like the car I just wanna get out the door at this point and I am absolutely gonna pay it off at 6months when the early repayment penalty ends, so it's literally less than 100 bucks difference between that and 4% which is what I was trying to get

Uhhh any reputable car loan shouldn't have an early repayment penalty wtf

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

KillHour posted:

Uhhh any reputable car loan shouldn't have an early repayment penalty wtf

I think the best one they were offering from GM financial might not have any, but before I applied they told me that 6mo is the longest early repayment that any of the loans they would offer. The rep was saying a whole lot of words about how I shouldn't pay it off early because I would build my credit better if I didn't but I tuned out at that point because I got sticker shock at the 6%.

She was also saying that a bigger down payment would get me worse APR which doesn't make sense if there's no early repayment penalty. It obviously depends when the interest is applied and how it's compounded but unless the first chunk of interest is applied the second I sign the loan couldn't I just pay whatever extra I wanted to put down immediately? I really didn't pay much attention after I heard the 6%

feelix fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Feb 26, 2021

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

feelix posted:

I think the best one they were offering from GM financial might not have any, but before I applied they told me that 6mo is the longest early repayment that any of the loans they would offer. The rep was saying a whole lot of words about how I shouldn't pay it off early because I would build my credit better if I didn't but I tuned out at that point because I got sticker shock at the 6%.

There is no early repayment penalty. They dealership is trying to make sure they get their kickback on the financing, which is where they make most of their money.

feelix posted:

She was also saying that a bigger down payment would get me worse APR which doesn't make sense if there's no early repayment penalty.

You are already financing so little that it's barely worth doing the paperwork. Financing even less requires they do SOMETHING to make this worth their time. So yes, it makes absolute perfect sense.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
Gotcha thanks. And good news, if I finance then I HAVE to get collision insurance this time lmao

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Well yeah... It's not your car.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

feelix posted:

She was also saying that a bigger down payment would get me worse APR which doesn't make sense if there's no early repayment penalty. It obviously depends when the interest is applied and how it's compounded but unless the first chunk of interest is applied the second I sign the loan couldn't I just pay whatever extra I wanted to put down immediately? I really didn't pay much attention after I heard the 6%

Zero down payment and don't mention refinancing or anything to those goons, just buy, decline all the extra crap they try to pile on the loan (stare at your phone a lot and say "nah, I'm good") drive off do some donuts and refi a month later. The reason they are telling you that is because I believe how it works is the dealership loses some of their weasely financial kickbacks if you bail out of the lovely loan earlier than their bean counters would like.

I am old with beyond excellent credit and bought a new Silverado in Jan 2018 and in order to get all the juicy extra incentives I had to use GM Financial and the rate was like 5.75% and I laughed at with the finance guys - who after being visible hurt when I declined the Gap insurance and interior leather treatment extras - suggested please don't refi for 6 months.......and then I quickly re-financed to 2.75% at Penfed Credit Union after a month.

My 73 y/o Ma....I took her few hours away last year in Feb pre-covid to get a nice used GMC Acadia Denali (in her preferred and very rare White/Tan Leather/Bench 2nd row to keep her Golden Doofus :woof: in the cargo area ) that she wanted to finance, and even though she had over 800 credit rating, they mentioned some poo poo about her "car loan credit rating" was much less since she basically had no credit of any kind beyond an always paid off credit card (since everything was in my Pops name R.I.P. :smith:) and offered her a 4.75% loan from Golden One Credit Union which was actually okay on her very first car loan - what the hell. She wanted to keep that loan for a year so now I am now looking to re-fi at another credit union.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
I haven't kept up with incentives, but on new cars don't the domestic brands like GM have like 0%/60 month financing all the time, or at least near the end of the model year?

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Mahatma-Squid posted:

I've got a dumb request, I'm looking for a fun 2nd / roadtrip car. Most likely a manual, preferably something RWD and NA, but open to consider anything. I'm hoping to find something that's a good balance of fun, that feels a bit special every time and doesn't require going double the speed limit to actually feel engaging and rewarding to drive. Most modern cars I've tried so far feel pretty numb below ridiculous speeds, so primarily looking at stuff around 10-20 years old. I realise this is subjective as hell, but wanted to see what else might be worth considering, and if I'm completely wrong about some of my assumptions.

To make it a little harder I live about 1000km from a major city and would have to travel to try to test drive most stuff. Located in Australia for market reference.

Cars I'm actively looking at:
996 911 - Top of my list currently. Hoping the high revving NA flat 6, weird weight balance & relatively soft suspension would combine to make it fun at lower speeds.
987 Boxster / Cayman - Pretty much the same as above, trading some power for better balance?
ND.2 MX-5 - I'm guessing this would be perfect except for the very limited boot space & no back seat.
Early NA Evora - Super few of these available, and top end of my price range. Might be worth stretching my budget though?
Maybe an Elise with touring pack but this is probably a really dumb option.
E92 M3 - The idea of it doesn't really excite me but it might be a very good option?

Stuff I'm assuming wouldn't work for various reasons:
M2 - '16 & '17 models are at the top end of my budget, but I'm not sure if they would be too fast & numb to really be fun at normal speeds?
TT RS - Similar to the M2, too fast & numb?
BRZ / 86 - I've driven a couple of earlier models and didn't fall in love.
i30N - Didn't feel very special, was pretty great otherwise.

Proposed Budget: Up to roughly 60k AUD.
New or Used: Used most likely.
Body Style: 2+2 coupe preferably. 4 seats not a necessity, but preferable. Open to whatever though!
How will you be using the car?: Weekend fun driver primarily, something that's not horrible for longer road trips and eventually being used a couple times a year for events like the Targa tour / Great tarmac rally tour. (Basically speed limited non competitive closed public road rallies.)
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? Don't really care.
What aspects are most important to you? The driving experience.

I love our Exige, and my wife and I did road trips in it. Germany to Ireland in one go (15 hours drive), round trip around Ireland, as well as cross-country trips in Germany, Poland, and Belgium.
You’ll never drive anything like it, but you’d have to treat it more like a 4-wheel motorcycle.

We also had a 987 Coxster for a few years, and it was great when it was just the two of us. Plenty of trunk space, comfortable and quiet enough on the highway, and excellent on the track. There’s even roof racks if you need to go to IKEA.
I’d always go Cayman over Boxster, unless you need to have a convertible.

The M2 surprised my with how spacious it was, esp. in the back. Other than that, 987 strikes me as more refined, the Exige/Elise as more raw.

Looked into Evoras, they seem overpriced relative to 911s and 987s, and I’m missing the point as the Elise/Exige exist if you want a Lotus.

Test drove an E92 M3 a year or so ago when we were looking for a 4-seater sports car. Wasn’t that impressed - expected more drama from the V8. Seems most drama may be of the undesirable reliability kind.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Keyser_Soze posted:

My 73 y/o Ma....I took her few hours away last year in Feb pre-covid to get a nice used GMC Acadia Denali (in her preferred and very rare White/Tan Leather/Bench 2nd row to keep her Golden Doofus :woof: in the cargo area ) that she wanted to finance, and even though she had over 800 credit rating, they mentioned some poo poo about her "car loan credit rating" was much less since she basically had no credit of any kind beyond an always paid off credit card (since everything was in my Pops name R.I.P. :smith:) and offered her a 4.75% loan from Golden One Credit Union which was actually okay on her very first car loan - what the hell. She wanted to keep that loan for a year so now I am now looking to re-fi at another credit union.

I feel like I ran into that. I have good credit, but other than a credit card I pay off every month, my last loan was a car load paid off a decade earlier, so the dealer wanted a bigger down payment and higher rate. I just needed something for a month while I took money out of my long term savings and paid it off, so I don't even know what the rate was, just kinda hate that I paid the ≈$100 in interest for that month.

Mahatma-Squid
Nov 22, 2004

One of the last true gentlemen left alive . ';,,,,,,,,;'

morothar posted:

I love our Exige, and my wife and I did road trips in it. Germany to Ireland in one go (15 hours drive), round trip around Ireland, as well as cross-country trips in Germany, Poland, and Belgium.
You’ll never drive anything like it, but you’d have to treat it more like a 4-wheel motorcycle.

We also had a 987 Coxster for a few years, and it was great when it was just the two of us. Plenty of trunk space, comfortable and quiet enough on the highway, and excellent on the track. There’s even roof racks if you need to go to IKEA.
I’d always go Cayman over Boxster, unless you need to have a convertible.

The M2 surprised my with how spacious it was, esp. in the back. Other than that, 987 strikes me as more refined, the Exige/Elise as more raw.

Looked into Evoras, they seem overpriced relative to 911s and 987s, and I’m missing the point as the Elise/Exige exist if you want a Lotus.

Test drove an E92 M3 a year or so ago when we were looking for a 4-seater sports car. Wasn’t that impressed - expected more drama from the V8. Seems most drama may be of the undesirable reliability kind.

Caymans over here command a massive price premium over the Boxsters, pretty much 150% of the price of an equivalent Boxster, which was what originally got me going from looking at 987 Boxsters, to Caymans and then to 996 911s as the pricing ends up being very similar. I honestly don't know if my wife (or myself) could handle taking long trips in an Elise or Exige, but I'll keep an eye out and try to find one to drive!

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Mahatma-Squid posted:

Caymans over here command a massive price premium over the Boxsters, pretty much 150% of the price of an equivalent Boxster, which was what originally got me going from looking at 987 Boxsters, to Caymans and then to 996 911s as the pricing ends up being very similar. I honestly don't know if my wife (or myself) could handle taking long trips in an Elise or Exige, but I'll keep an eye out and try to find one to drive!

Unless you have kids and need more than two seats, I’d take a Cayman over a 996 any day. Over a 997, I’d have to think about it.
On the Ring (we lived in Luxemburg, so 1h away), my base 987 with its 240 furious ponies could hang with 996s and the lower-rung 997s. Slower on the straights, but usually able to catch up in the turns.
The 987s were really only limited by Porsche’s product strategy, and their initial reluctance to put a meaningful amount of horses into their new coupe.

All that said, if your wife swings that way, the Elise is just an all-round more awesome experience. We went from the 987 to a motorcycle to the Exige as sweet spot for us. Just don’t get one with the stage II exhaust, putting in ear plugs for drives >30minutes is a whole other level of bonkery. And keep in mind the a/c sucks, which may be an issue for you.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Motronic posted:

You are already financing so little that it's barely worth doing the paperwork. Financing even less requires they do SOMETHING to make this worth their time. So yes, it makes absolute perfect sense.

This is something I hadn’t thought of. I wonder what the threshold is before they say gently caress it and tack on interest? I bought my current car for $20k and put like $2k down and got a decent rate, so are we talking like buying a $45k pickup and putting $35k down?

Also can confirm refi as soon as reasonably possible is a good thing and typically great rates. I think I waited like two months but got like 1% from my CU on that refi. The car is now paid off. Too bad that when I buy a pickup truck this year my car isn’t worth that much in KBB

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

feelix posted:

Assuming I like the car I just wanna get out the door at this point

this is how most bad car purchasing decisions start

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Number_6 posted:

I haven't kept up with incentives, but on new cars don't the domestic brands like GM have like 0%/60 month financing all the time, or at least near the end of the model year?

Most brands have cheap financing as an option for new vehicles. Used vehicles are not manufacturer subsidized in the same way, and there's more risk around the term and asset, therefore higher rates.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

life is killing me posted:

This is something I hadn’t thought of. I wonder what the threshold is before they say gently caress it and tack on interest? I bought my current car for $20k and put like $2k down and got a decent rate, so are we talking like buying a $45k pickup and putting $35k down?

Also can confirm refi as soon as reasonably possible is a good thing and typically great rates. I think I waited like two months but got like 1% from my CU on that refi. The car is now paid off. Too bad that when I buy a pickup truck this year my car isn’t worth that much in KBB

Just to be clear, it's not the dealer adding interest, it's the lender making a decision about the rate they are going to offer you. The cost to execute a loan is roughly the same no matter the size, so just for hypothetical purposes say it's $500 bucks per loan. If you finance $10K at 5%, 36 months, they make $790, and $250 in profit. If you finance $5K, if they gave it to you at 5%, they would make $395 and be underwater on it. Therefore, when you go to finance $5K, they're going to charge you 7%.

In addition, the dealer can add points to the loan above the rate they receive from the lender, but this is fairly heavily regulated (now) by CFPB. There are limits to how many points they can add. They usually will add whatever they can whenever they can, so there's no difference in dealer added points between a large or small loan.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
also a lot of those 0% 60mo deals will not include some of the incentives taken off the price

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Motronic posted:

Gonna do the normal: why do you need an SUV or full sized sedan for a commute? Also, crash safety doesn't work the way you think it does.

Buy the nicest prius your $20k can get.

How do you think he thinks crash safety works?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

bird with big dick posted:

How do you think he thinks crash safety works?
I assume it's lizard brain thinking bigger=safer. Which is not the case in real world. Also 5 start rating in 1999 is not the same as 4 star rating in 2021

Major appeal of vehicles with a taller seating position is the illusion of safety.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Bigger is safer if everything else is equal though. In the land of giant pickup trucks there's some merit to considering that. Newer cars are much safer and that includes new small cars, and mfgs are trying to make it so big vehicles like pickups have their bumpers in the right place to hit cars in crash structures, so it's perhaps less of an issue than it once was. But it's also worth keeping in mind that most crash test rating by design only test how a car would react to hitting another car of the same mass.

Couple links from the IIHS:

Some stats on small vehicles vs big on death rates in accidents
https://www.iihs.org/topics/vehicle...ntal%20crashes.

A couple actual tests of a large vehicle vs a small vehicle
https://www.iihs.org/news/detail/iihs-used-car-lists-help-families-choose-safer-larger-vehicles-for-teens

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

While it's true that bigger vehicles are safer ceteris paribus, that's generally not how car buying works.

I think there are two interesting aspects to the graph in your first IIHS link (great links, by the way).

1) the slope is decreasing over time, meaning the differences due to size are smaller. A larger car is still relatively safer, but it's less relatively safer now than compared to ten years ago.
2) the smallest poo poo you can buy in the most recent model year range is approximately as safe as the biggest poo poo you could buy in prior model year range. Age of vehicle (as a proxy for technology) matters a lot more than size.

Bigger cars tend to be more expensive. So when dealing with a real world car buying exercise, where a budget is relatively fixed, buying a newer, smaller car is probably safer than buying an older, bigger car in general terms.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
I don't have a kid so obviously I won't really get this conversation, but intentionally putting inexperienced drivers behind the wheel of a large automobile for their own safety is bad for everybody else on the road, and more generally for society.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

silence_kit posted:

I don't have a kid so obviously I won't really get this conversation, but intentionally putting inexperienced drivers behind the wheel of a large automobile for their own safety is bad for everybody else on the road, and more generally for society.

I agree there's a difference if you're talking like an Expedition or some poo poo but honestly the most unsafe part of it is putting inexperienced drivers behind the wheel of any automobile. Type of automobile is secondary. And I don't think there's much difference between putting that teen behind the wheel of an Avalon vs. a Corolla.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Crash safety is very dependent on a specific vehicle's design, but people in pickups and suvs die less than people in cars: https://www.iihs.org/topics/fatality-statistics/detail/passenger-vehicle-occupants.

Googling this topic is a minefield, but there is at least a grain of truth in the idea that all else being equal, a bigger & heavier cage is safer **for the occupants of that vehicle.** One thing I tend to see in articles rebutting this idea is that they use the idea of "combined risk" to all occupants in all vehicles involved in a crash.

Having driven a fiesta in houston traffic full of giant pickups, I also get why people want to sit up higher. I get it that enthusiasts don't care and love to make fun of this, but it's really not unreasonable and modern cars have become something of an arms race. And we love to say "just be an expert driver" but people are afraid of being plowed into by some guy on his phone in an f250 and that's not unjustifiieable.

(Gas should cost $6/gal, charge reg fees exponentially increasing by GVWR, etc)

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

this is how most bad car purchasing decisions start

You're the one that told me not to worry about a 6% rate if I'm gonna pay it off quick. I'm not gonna buy a car if it doesn't feel right, I'm just talking in regarding to financing. loving goons need to learn to give advice without taking every opportunity to be condescending

Preggo My Eggo!
Jun 17, 2010
Mahatma-Squid, have you considered the S2000? I've driven it side-by-side with an M2 and had way more fun under 80mph in the S2000. The transmission is divine, and everything feels very analog.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The mass of the vehicle is only an advantage if you are crashing into another car. If you crash into a tree or a wall it would work against you since force increases with mass more quickly than the strength of the mass. Also, body-on-frame vehicles are more prone to roll over, have less strong bodies (because frame) and are generally less safe.

I think going for max safety it would probably be of some benefit to be in a larger vehicle, but a larger vehicle like e.g.a Volvo S/V90 or a MB S-Class, which are large but also low to the ground and well designed/built with a lot of high strength materials and safety tech, not an F350, which would be very dangerous to both the occupants and other road users. So of course what does everyone loving buy

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Bigger is not better without trade-offs. Sure you're a bit safer in a multi-vehicle collision, ceteris paribus, in a larger vehicle.

But you're also more likely to get into a fatal single-vehicle accident driving an SUV or truck.

IIHS in 2018 posted:

The likelihood of crash death varies markedly among these vehicle types according to size. Small/light vehicles have less structure and size to absorb crash energy, so crash forces on occupants will be higher. People in lighter vehicles are at a disadvantage in collisions with heavier vehicles.Footnote1 Pickups and SUVs are proportionally more likely than cars to be in fatal single-vehicle crashes, especially rollovers. However, pickups and SUVs generally are heavier than cars, so occupant deaths in SUVs and pickups are less likely to occur in multiple-vehicle crashes.

So selecting an SUV or truck for "safety" is at the expense of those around you, but you're also more likely to get yourself involved in an accident because of the unwieldy size of the vehicle.

The best safety is not getting in an accident in the first place.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Feb 26, 2021

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Pickups being in more single vehicle accidents could also be connected to a few other things. Like, the fatal crash rate is almost 3x for men driving and men also make up a larger portion of pickup buyers. Pickup dudes in multi-vehicle accidents might be surviving at a higher rate because they're squishing smaller cars, while also getting themselves killed by driving too fast/aggressive/whatever in single vehicle things. I don't have the background or resources to really sort out any of that but would love to read an analysis by someone who does.

edit: forgot to include another article https://www.iii.org/fact-statistic/facts-statistics-highway-safety

powderific fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Feb 26, 2021

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
So I drove the tourx and it just didn't feel right. I don't mind the transmission at all, I just felt really uncomfortable and uneasy sitting in it. I think maybe visibility was the problem? I'm pretty bummed, I don't know what else to look at, it was such a perfect car for me on paper. Subaru and VW reliability/repair costs are a turn off so I don't know if I'm down with one of those wagons. Maybe coming from a Fit, I'll never get a level of visibility I'm comfortable with in any wagon so I should suck it up and look at crossovers. The only reason I'm not getting another Fit is that I get leg cramps all the time being 6'4

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Crossovers are basically tall wagons so it won't hurt too much to look there. The usual suspects are the CR-V, RAV4, CX-5. Fitting in a car physically is the most important thing for sure.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

feelix posted:

So I drove the tourx and it just didn't feel right. I don't mind the transmission at all, I just felt really uncomfortable and uneasy sitting in it. I think maybe visibility was the problem? I'm pretty bummed, I don't know what else to look at, it was such a perfect car for me on paper. Subaru and VW reliability/repair costs are a turn off so I don't know if I'm down with one of those wagons. Maybe coming from a Fit, I'll never get a level of visibility I'm comfortable with in any wagon so I should suck it up and look at crossovers. The only reason I'm not getting another Fit is that I get leg cramps all the time being 6'4
I like my sisters fit too. Seat bracket extensions are available for that car, the ones I saw said they added 4-6 inches.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Crossovers are basically tall wagons so it won't hurt too much to look there. The usual suspects are the CR-V, RAV4, CX-5. Fitting in a car physically is the most important thing for sure.

Really I didn't buy it only because I wanted to prove to something awful poster KYOON GRIFFEY JR that I wasn't being impulsive.

I fit in it great, I just didn't feel right. Felt claustrophobic and weird despite being big on the inside compared to the compacts I'm used to

Mahatma-Squid
Nov 22, 2004

One of the last true gentlemen left alive . ';,,,,,,,,;'

morothar posted:

Unless you have kids and need more than two seats, I’d take a Cayman over a 996 any day. Over a 997, I’d have to think about it.
On the Ring (we lived in Luxemburg, so 1h away), my base 987 with its 240 furious ponies could hang with 996s and the lower-rung 997s. Slower on the straights, but usually able to catch up in the turns.
The 987s were really only limited by Porsche’s product strategy, and their initial reluctance to put a meaningful amount of horses into their new coupe.

All that said, if your wife swings that way, the Elise is just an all-round more awesome experience. We went from the 987 to a motorcycle to the Exige as sweet spot for us. Just don’t get one with the stage II exhaust, putting in ear plugs for drives >30minutes is a whole other level of bonkery. And keep in mind the a/c sucks, which may be an issue for you.

We've got one on the way, and although my wife is fully on board with getting a 2 seater and asking the in-laws to babysit when we take it for trips, I feel that we would definitely end up getting more use out of the car if we could at least sometimes chuck a baby seat in the back. Decent aircon is absolutely a requirement, it's low level disgustingly humid at a minimum 8 months of the year up here, but I haven't heard Lotus owners over here complaining about the aircon outside of the S1 Elises, so they may have sorted it out for our climate.

Preggo My Eggo! posted:

Mahatma-Squid, have you considered the S2000? I've driven it side-by-side with an M2 and had way more fun under 80mph in the S2000. The transmission is divine, and everything feels very analog.

I had crossed it off the list as they're pretty pricey over here (around the same as a lower end 987 Boxster, or a tidy ND.1) and I had read they weren't great for longer trips. Couldn't be more compromised in that regard than an Elise though I suppose!

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Mahatma-Squid posted:

We've got one on the way, and although my wife is fully on board with getting a 2 seater and asking the in-laws to babysit when we take it for trips, I feel that we would definitely end up getting more use out of the car if we could at least sometimes chuck a baby seat in the back. Decent aircon is absolutely a requirement, it's low level disgustingly humid at a minimum 8 months of the year up here, but I haven't heard Lotus owners over here complaining about the aircon outside of the S1 Elises, so they may have sorted it out for our climate.

I had crossed it off the list as they're pretty pricey over here (around the same as a lower end 987 Boxster, or a tidy ND.1) and I had read they weren't great for longer trips. Couldn't be more compromised in that regard than an Elise though I suppose!

987s are objectively better than s2ks in my opinion. The best thing about the s2k was the way it was a harmless Honda around town, and then the VTEC kicks in. Guess what, the 987 also has VTEC, except it’s called Variocam - super harmless around town, but on fire when you run the rpm up.

As the father of a 14 month old, who went through all the heartache two years ago: buy the best 996 or 997 you can find for your budget.
I started by pining for our Exige after we moved to the US, and looked at everything that claimed to be a sports car, but with 2+2 seats after we got pregnant.

The answer, as much as I disliked it at the time, is the best 911 you can afford (never liked 911s, our 987 was the first Porsche I was interested in - but if you want a grown-up sports car that can fit a small family, the 911 is it).

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Proposed Budget: 20-40k NZD
New or Used: Used most likely
Body Style: Station Wagon/Hatchback
How will you be using the car?: Weekend trips, errands etc. I don't commute by car.
What aspects are most important to you? (e.g. reliability, cost of ownership/maintenance, import/domestic, MPG, size, style)
  • AWD is a must (please don't @ me about this, I've read this thread for years and know the cons of AWD, that snow tyres are better etc.)
  • Similar power and torque (torque > power) to my current car, 2011 BMW 135i.
  • Good/decent driving dynamics
  • Looks decent, obviously subjective.
  • Reversing camera and Bluetooth audio would be good.
  • Ideally don't want any worse reliability/cost of ownership than my current 135i.
3. If you do not live in the U.S. you should probably say so because what's available can vary a lot.
I live in New Zealand so no point in recommending any American cars as we don't really get them.

I'm looking closely at B8.5 S4 wagons at the moment but keen to see if there is anything similar at that same kind of price point. Obviously, price is hard to determine but if people throw me options I can check if that fits in my area.

Thanks in advance! :tipshat:

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Cage posted:

I like my sisters fit too. Seat bracket extensions are available for that car, the ones I saw said they added 4-6 inches.

Were you looking at extendmyseat.com? They have a TON of customer service complaints for unsent orders, especially lately. There's a really nice looking 2018 Sport manual within driving distance from me that I might just jump on since I'm starting to think that no other car could ever replace my bae <3

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

feelix posted:

Really I didn't buy it only because I wanted to prove to something awful poster KYOON GRIFFEY JR that I wasn't being impulsive.

I fit in it great, I just didn't feel right. Felt claustrophobic and weird despite being big on the inside compared to the compacts I'm used to

Have you driven a Scion xB yet? If not you should.

The cabin is huge inside, and is one of the reasons I couldn't get a different similar sized car, they all felt cramped inside. I'm talking to you, Mazda 3 :argh:

[e] I was pretty much in your situation. My previous xB got totaled and I was looking for something different in a similar size, everything felt too cramped (Mazda3, Honda Fit, FiST) or was too expensive (GTI) so I just got another xB.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Feb 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I don't know how the Kia Soul shakes out for bigger people but that's also a box on wheels kinda thing although you are never going to get Fit level packaging. I don't think your earlier idea of a Mk 7 Golf Wagon / Alltrack would be that bad of an idea, most of the normal issues have been ironed out and while it won't be a Honda in terms of reliability, it might be worth a couple thousand bucks over the lifetime of the car to have something that actually does check your boxes that you fit in (assuming that it does indeed check all your boxes...)

feelix posted:

Thank you for doing the needful. In all seriousness, for everyone else who thinks about car buying, this is exactly why you gotta go sit in cars.